Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 27th September 2011, 12:12   #3076
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Ninja,
Can you please share a pic of the place where the motion sensor thingy used to be earlier? Even at the risk of duplication, would request you to post the pic in this thread as well (besides your ownership thread).

Thanks
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_3067.jpg
The pic of the blank spot. Methinks they could have been a bit more innovative here - maybe another sun-glassholder?

The plastic cover is solid - doesn't move at all. So don't see any issue of it falling down like the motion sensor used to earlier for others.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 14:30   #3077

Sorry if this has been answered before folks. I admit I haven't braved searching inside 206 pages of this thread.

On the bright side - The 206 pages do make me believe in the demand the Vento has created and give me a good feeling for having bought it.

I had an issue with the central locking and child lock.

Question: I have a Highline Petrol (mfd in March 2011). If I enable the child lock by turning the 'lil switch on the rear doors, the doors them onwards refuse to open from inside irrespective of the position of the child lock soft key (the one near the drivers armrest).

So essentially ….

a) enable child lock for the doors by turning the lil switch on the inside of the rear doors
b) press child lock button on driver arm rest so its in on position (it lights up).
c) hit Central lock near drivers arm rest - it lights up indicating central locking is on.
c) rear passengers are unable to open door from inside as expected.
d) rear passengers are unable to roll down windows as expected
e) now press child lock button again near driver arm rest to turn it off (the light on it dies).
f) rear passengers are still unable to open door from inside. However, when they pull the door to open, the central locking light near driver armrest dies. Odd!
g)rear passengers are successfully able to roll down window though.

Expectation: In (f), I expected the door to open from inside. The child lock door-locking doesn’t adhere to the child-lock button up front. What gives!!?
anandbangalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 14:39   #3078
BHPian

Finally I have booked my Shadow Blue Vento Tdi HL today from Chandigarh.
Dealer is saying around a months time for delievery.

Cant wait anymore.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 15:23   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before folks. I admit I haven't braved searching inside 206 pages of this thread.

On the bright side - The 206 pages do make me believe in the demand the Vento has created and give me a good feeling for having bought it.

I had an issue with the central locking and child lock.

Question: I have a Highline Petrol (mfd in March 2011). If I enable the child lock by turning the 'lil switch on the rear doors, the doors them onwards refuse to open from inside irrespective of the position of the child lock soft key (the one near the drivers armrest).

So essentially ….

a) enable child lock for the doors by turning the lil switch on the inside of the rear doors
b) press child lock button on driver arm rest so its in on position (it lights up).
c) hit Central lock near drivers arm rest - it lights up indicating central locking is on.
c) rear passengers are unable to open door from inside as expected.
d) rear passengers are unable to roll down windows as expected
e) now press child lock button again near driver arm rest to turn it off (the light on it dies).
f) rear passengers are still unable to open door from inside. However, when they pull the door to open, the central locking light near driver armrest dies. Odd!
g)rear passengers are successfully able to roll down window though.

Expectation: In (f), I expected the door to open from inside. The child lock door-locking doesn’t adhere to the child-lock button up front. What gives!!?
Hi,

The button you are referring to (on driver's arm rest) is only for locking the rear windows. The child lock is controlled by the other little switch on inside of rear doors and once enabled you can't open the rear doors from inside.

Hope this helps.
ventoman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 15:35   #3080
Senior - BHPian

Child lock on the rear door and child lock for the power windows (switch in your front arm-rest) are two different things altogether and have different functions. The child lock on the front arm-rest controls the power window operation only and not of the doors. The door cannot be opened from inside if the child lock is engaged on the rear door. Both are independent of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 16:07   #3081

Thanks Bala80. That's what I expected. I need to stop drawing comparisons to the designed-in-india cars I have owned before this namely the Maruti and Indica.
Old 27th September 2011, 19:03   #3082
Team-BHP Support

^^ Indian designs have nothing to do with it. Child lock is a different concept altogether from central locking. In ANY car.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 10:02   #3083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Finally I have booked my Shadow Blue Vento Tdi HL today from Chandigarh.
Dealer is saying around a months time for delievery.

Cant wait anymore.

Just curious. Your location says Gurgaon. Why book in CHD ? Is the car cheaper there ? I found out from Amritsar, the registration charge is almost the same as in Gurgaon. Also in Gurgaon delivery is faster.

Will be taking delivery of my car today, from VW Gurgaon.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 11:27   #3084
BHPian

Glad to see that finally VW has updated the Vento's features on its website. I was just looking at the list of Standard Features as shown on the Highline.
I made some observations (Have a look at the att. images which are snapshots from the website itself).

1. The Interior section shows 'RCD 310' music system with USB and 4 speakers.
Also, The Comfort section continues to show the older 'Radio with CD-MP3 player and 4 speakers' (Combine and you can interpret that there are 8 speakers and 2 music systems )

2. The Safety section has now added 'Rear parking sensor' added to the list.
However notice that it continues to show the older "Anti-theft system with interior surveillance and back-up alarm" ( Seems they have decided to keep an invisible interior surveillance system )

Come on- car manufacturers like VW can at least spend a little time to ensure that their sites illustrate updated and accurate information.
Attached Images

gaurav911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 13:26   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Just curious. Your location says Gurgaon. Why book in CHD ? Is the car cheaper there ? I found out from Amritsar, the registration charge is almost the same as in Gurgaon. Also in Gurgaon delivery is faster.

Will be taking delivery of my car today, from VW Gurgaon.

Cheers
Congratulations Ricky!! I have been waiting for the delivery of your car. So the dealer kept the promised date? As far as I remember he had promised 28 only?

The reason for buying the car from CHD is price save only.
Gurgaon - Ex SH + Depot Charges + Temp Reg + Ins + Reg - Corp Dis
9.82 + 6K + 1500 + 36K + 41K -16K = 10.5 OTR
Chandigarh 9.80 + NIL + NIL + 36K + 30K - 16K = 10.3 OTR

So roughly around 20K of savings. Although looking at the delivery times in Gurgaon I was tempted but I tried to control.

I guess one more advantage of going from Chd is that registration process in Chd is a lot better and you get Electronic RCs.

Waiting for the Delivery day experience and ofcourse a lot of pics.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 14:13   #3086
BHPian

Am not sure if it has to do with Orix. But the dealer called me today and said the car has been allotted for me and he will provided the VIN no in a days time. I had booked a black TDi highline by 1st week of September. Still pinching myself to ensure am not dreaming. Sleepless nights begin!
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 14:38   #3087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Am not sure if it has to do with Orix. But the dealer called me today and said the car has been allotted for me and he will provided the VIN no in a days time. I had booked a black TDi highline by 1st week of September. Still pinching myself to ensure am not dreaming. Sleepless nights begin!
Deja Vu!

Might be, might not be due to Orix - but either way its party time

Possibly what helped is that black is being produced in large numbers, black was made available to me within a month too!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 17:24   #3088

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ Indian designs have nothing to do with it. Child lock is a different concept altogether from central locking. In ANY car.
They sort of do from an end user perspective
a) I have child lock enabled
b) I put my kid into the back seat
c) I get into the driver seat and hit Central Locking thereby locking all doors
d) My kid at this point cant unlock the door from inside
e) I stop at his school and want my kid to step out
f) So I hit central unlock button and expect all doors to be open
g) My kid opens door on his own and steps out
h) He waves bye and I vroom off without having to unbelt and step out.
Old 28th September 2011, 18:59   #3089
Team-BHP Support

^^ Boss you are badly mistaken. If child-lock is enabled (in ANY car) you can unlock the central locking all you like and your child will be unable to open the door(s) from inside. That's why it's called a child lock.

Central locking in Vento is a little weird but they claim it's a safety feature: all doors open with a single tug. There is no separate lock button on each door, nor is it the multi-tug system employed on some European cars like the Fiats. The central locking only means that all doors are locked from the OUTSIDE.

To make it a little clearer, (d) is a direct consequence of (a). (c) has nothing to do with it

Last edited by noopster : 28th September 2011 at 19:00.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 19:06   #3090
Senior - BHPian

@ricky and @prabhuferrari - Congratulations, the vento tribe is growing by the day. Wishing both of you a very happy ownership experience.

On a seperate note - VW got to be the most lousiest manufacturer when it comes to updating their website & replying back to emails sent to their customer care. Only difference is the second mentioned thing doesnt happen at all! While the rest of things like dealership's, service center's, supply chain management can all be excused quoting they are a recent entrant, the above two just dont have any excuses, however hard you may want to think and come up with one. Totally unprofessional IMO.

@anandbangalore - noopster is right. central locking and child lock doesnt have anything to do with each other. They have seperate functions.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote