Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 29th November 2011, 18:39   #3556
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Sorry, was travelling last few days and missed the discussion over the last few pages. Please excuse for not responding/replying back. Just posted a 5k update on my ownership thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2593644

In a nutshell I have ended up with a totally damaged alloy and a tyre as a result of driving through a series of potholes. Annoyed to the core that I have to shell out quite a bit from my packet to get all the tyres and alloy replaced now. Borbet or not, these alloys cant handle abuse like a few of the local brands do. period.

On a seperate note, saw a new design mud flaps which are much shorter than the original one's that used to come with vento earlier. Maybe this will reduce the scraping issue that's been discussed above. Mine doesnt have any mud flaps, but still scraps sometimes on full load.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 19:46   #3557
Senior - BHPian

I have scrapped my Vento TDi belly only once because went quick over speed breakers. Otherwise there have been many chances when the mud guard's get scrapped quite a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Attachment 849175
P.s. Quick quiz - guess the book (now don't say Tintin!)
Wild guess: The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 21:08   #3558

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
When you say its "quiet a battle to get it back to neutral" do you mean it in relative to other gears like 1 to neutral or 2 to neutral or do you mean to say its very hard that you have to fight with it. My experience - While 'R' to neutral is not a simple flick its not like I have to fight with it. A slight pressure and it pops back. I did find it a bit hard in the beginning but its eased up considerably (Car is 6 days and 988 Kms old). Did they tell what was wrong and what part they are waiting for ?

Other vento owners, can you share your thought. If its something that has to set off the alarm then I will take it to the SA else, I will be happy with what I have and would not like to open the box.
It is pretty hard. The other gears 1 to neutral and 2 to neutral are effortless. I can just use a couple of fingers to flip it. While the R to neutral needs my entire wrist wrapped around the gear knob and applying a lot of pressure to get it back to neutral. Maybe it will ease up over time, but it is painful now. The SA mentioned it is a part that helps slot the reverse gear in place (not sure of the details ).

Also encountered a new problem - the remote button to unlock and release the boot has stopped working! Need to get that checked.
NamHuduga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 09:54   #3559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
In a nutshell I have ended up with a totally damaged alloy and a tyre as a result of driving through a series of potholes. Annoyed to the core that I have to shell out quite a bit from my packet to get all the tyres and alloy replaced now. Borbet or not, these alloys cant handle abuse like a few of the local brands do. period.

On a seperate note, saw a new design mud flaps which are much shorter than the original one's that used to come with vento earlier. Maybe this will reduce the scraping issue that's been discussed above. Mine doesnt have any mud flaps, but still scraps sometimes on full load.
Sorry to hear this, I too heard Chennai roads went bad after the heavy rain.
Warranty won't cover this?. Single alloy wheel costing 18k is expensive affair.

Now I will be extra caution when driving in Bangalore roads/potholes.
TopSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 10:13   #3560
Senior - BHPian

Yes, almost all the roads in chennai have been washed away in the recent rains. Warranty wouldn't cover the alloys, but this 0% depreciation insurance does. So, if you frequently travel a lot on highways/bad roads, I suggest you to opt for the bumper to bumper protection.

Learnt the lesson the hard way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Sorry to hear this, I too heard Chennai roads went bad after the heavy rain.
Warranty won't cover this?. Single alloy wheel costing 18k is expensive affair.

Now I will be extra caution when driving in Bangalore roads/potholes.
Old 30th November 2011, 10:49   #3561
Senior - BHPian

what is the tyre pressure that you guys are maintaining with and without load.
when i use manufacturers recommendations i kind of feel jerks. also the car jumps while going on minor potholes which are supposed to be gulped easily.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 11:15   #3562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I have filled Nitrogen and maintaining 32psi in all wheels.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 11:20   #3563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vento has different PSi recommendation for varying weight which is impossible to keep up. I have JK Vectra set 33 front and 35 rear and filled with nitrogen. Ride may feel a bit stiff but the handling is good and with full load no need to go to bunk to have air pressure increased.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 11:59   #3564
Senior - BHPian

i have filled 32 and still it jumps. i am driving alone nowdays, so no load at all. should i reduce it more. i am just hating the way she jumps if i am negotiating a curve and there are tiny potholes on the curve :(
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:03   #3565
BHPian

Quote:
i have filled 32 and still it jumps. i am driving alone nowdays, so no load at all. should i reduce it more. i am just hating the way she jumps if i am negotiating a curve and there are tiny potholes on the curve :(
I have filled 32 and find the ride quite ok even over potholes. Maybe its a better idea to check at another pump? I once filled 32 at the HP pump in Pallikonda(Chennai-Bangalore highway) and the ride was bit bumpy. After 2 weeks when I checked at the regular pump it showed 34! Please try checking the pressure at some other pump and things should improve.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:45   #3566
BHPian

I fill 36 and carry mostly 5 people on the car pool. The ride is slightly stiff, but handling's fine. Yes, the rear end scrapes when I get off a ramp. Mostly the mud flaps take the damage when going over speed breakers when traveling on full loads.
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 13:52   #3567
BHPian

I got to test the Vento last evening with 6 persons and loaded with some luggage in the trunk. I went over some high and sharp humps at around 5 KMPH and it didn't scrape anything. I have not put the stock mud flaps but used some rubber based after market ones. I am sure if I tried to go at a higher speed say 15/20 KMPH I should have scraped something. I maintain 32 PSI on all four wheels.

On another note, I wanted to check with other Vento TDI owners with the engine sound filtering into the car. Sometimes I feel its a little bit on the higher side. You can find the sound here Vento TDI Idling Sound by nostalgicmoments on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free. Is this normal or on the higher side? I was planning to get it checked by the VW service center. I will also record the engine clatter from the outside and upload for more experienced members to give their opinion .
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 15:44   #3568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
On another note, I wanted to check with other Vento TDI owners with the engine sound filtering into the car. Sometimes I feel its a little bit on the higher side. You can find the sound here Vento TDI Idling Sound by nostalgicmoments on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free. Is this normal or on the higher side? I was planning to get it checked by the VW service center. I will also record the engine clatter from the outside and upload for more experienced members to give their opinion .
Vento's engine clatter is on the higher side no doubts. It does filter inside the cabin but if you play some music you hardly hear any engine sound. The best part I like is when the turbo starts spooling and sound is just great. I have the pre-refreshed one and the new one is said to have better NVH levels. Haven't tested it yet on a new Vento.
Your audio clip seems to doesn't have any audio in it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 19:13   #3569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid View Post
Strut noise! That is what the technical advisor and I agreed up on.
Running on Michelin PP2s 205/55/15.

Perceived problem : Do a slow right turn with the steering wheel locked all the way and brake hard, you can hear knuckles cracking 'karacckkkk'. I perceived it to be noise from the carrier plate. No sound whatsoever otherwise (normal braking, left turns, etc.,)

Solution 1 : Clean, did not work.

Solution 2 : Replaced just the front right tyre to a stock Accelere (just to make the technical advisor understand that it was not due to the 205s) . did not work.

Solution 3 : Struts! The sudden load transfer to the strut when you brake hard at a very low speed seems to cause the problem. This was also observed on most of the ventos on the service floor.

The technical advisor told me that the issue would be highlighted to Volkswagen.

Is anybody facing similar problems?.
Even I've been facing the same problem as well. There is another issue with the suspension. When it goes over a ditch at normal speed, I could notice "thhhuuunnnnkkk" kind of sound. This was observed on all the four side at different times. Raised a complaint to VW and got a call from local service center for the check-up. I'm yet to visit & get it checked. Are you guys facing the same problem?

Last edited by Ramsagar : 30th November 2011 at 19:14.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 23:07   #3570
Senior - BHPian

Count me in. I have experienced it too. The sound is so sickening that it feels as though the suspension is just not there. You get a rude jolt when this happens. Please keep us updated on the developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar

Even I've been facing the same problem as well. There is another issue with the suspension. When it goes over a ditch at normal speed, I could notice "thhhuuunnnnkkk" kind of sound. This was observed on all the four side at different times. Raised a complaint to VW and got a call from local service center for the check-up. I'm yet to visit & get it checked. Are you guys facing the same problem?