Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 22nd December 2011, 20:03   #3691
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

^ Agree with evilS on the sunfilm. I drove around exactly one weekend without any and realised and realised the familly was getting slow cooked so went and got 'em pronto! The Vento gets like a greenhouse without film.

The climatronic takes some getting used to: I actually miss the quick and dirty transition from baking hot to chilly that I get in the Swift for example. Which is why lack of ACC is not exactly a dealbreaker in my book. Would have been perfectly happy if they'd traded this in for say cruise control or steering-mounted controls and a nice HU (mine is pre-refresh)
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:04   #3692
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new Vento , look forward to your ownership log
On your concern areas :-

1. Start the ACC in "LO" mode and then adjust it to your preferred temp after a few minutes when you need faster cooling . There's nothing amiss in the performance of the AC, IMO its holds the desired temp in a more precise manner than comparables in Swift , Wagon R , etc but its just the way it works . I have used Lumar and its fairly good ( i stay in Mumbai so I guess it should suit you in navi Mumbai too )

2. I am a bit confused on your second question, not sure if you are asking about shorter first gear or whether you should slot to neutral when standstill - will try to give a "hedged answer " The first gear is short and as evilS mentioned its that way for most diesels-I guess its like that for most modern cars (petrol / diesel), some are shorter than the rest but i don't think there is any car where its been stated that one can use first gear upto 30 kmph . Riding on the clutch is a widely recognised bad driving habit - so please stick to the short first and then shifting up to second and onwards routine. When you are standstill , slot to neutral and engage handbrake for longer stops - your feet deserves the rest
Sion route is used by me quite often , I am sure like all of us you love Priyadarshini circle !!! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnadkarni View Post
Hi All,

Got a confirmation email from T-BHP a few days ago...and it feels so elated!!

I got my Vento (HL-TDI) delivered about a month ago...and boy it feels awesome!! (i am coming from a 5 year Wagon R). I already have about 2000+ kms and keep finding reasons to get into the car

Well all the niceties have been said (for what we buy) and most of the squeaks have been experienced (for what we get).

I wanted to share 2 areas were I need some help.

1. The throw of the AC is very narrow. Sometimes I feel Wagon R was much better at cooling (with sunfilms). I know it may be setting-in and I dont have sunfilms right now, but i still feel (including nights) that the cooling is not a WOW. I normally keep shifting between 21 and 22 deg with fan speed between 4 and 2. Is anybody else facing the same issue?? Also need reco's for good sunfilms and average cost (cost is not a deciding factor, but helps to get a perspective)

2. This one has to do more with driving in B2B traffic. I live in Mumbai (stay in Navi Mumbai and work in Andheri and i take the route via Sion). Whoever is familiar with these roads will know what i mean. What i wanted to know is this: The car really pulls well in 2nd gear even when it is stopped, and the 1st gear is just too short (IMO) to ride the start-stop traffic. So is it advisable to keep it in 1st gear and ride by pressing the clutch or is it a good practice (no matter how tedious) to get it in neutral everytime you stop?

I am currently in process of drafting my Ownership Thread (waiting for good clicks the text is almost ready) and will post my experience in detail.

Till then, will greatly appreciate help on the above 2 points

Last edited by souravc : 23rd December 2011 at 01:05.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:23   #3693

Thanks a Ton evilshantanu, Noopster, souravc.

I'm much obliged!!
nnadkarni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:01   #3694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Dear Bangalorean TBHPians!

There is a new VW showroom (Apple Auto, seems like some die hard Steve Jobs fan) just next to the KR Puram flyover, towards Marathalli side.

There is one more good news for the people living in Indiranagar (nilesh), HSR, Koramangla area. They will be having a fully functional workshop in the next 1 week!
Wanted to share with Blore VW car owners - I had called "VW Whitefield - Apple Auto Pvt Ltd" enquiring about their workshop and was told that it would take about 4 months before it becomes opeational. The VW India site shows them up as dealer only as of now.
krish11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:40   #3695
Senior - BHPian

Saw a brand new unregistered black Rapid here in Chennai, it clearly looks different from a Vento on the road from the front and back. Chances are one might mistake it for a Laura than a Vento.

I might be prejudiced but I prefer the design of the Vento I have seen a black (washed/polished) Vento on the same road, the Rapid looks more box-shaped that the Vento. Asked my colleagues, they aren't able to differentiate that much.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:16   #3696
BHPian

I agree Sunfilms are a must on cars now a days with temperatures rising. I would suggest also get a front sun films as it makes a lot of difference. I have installed 3m films all across the car with windows, front and rear windshields and they work wonders.

I personally didnt like rapid so much as well. Vento's looks are very elegant compared to rapid and personally I am bit offended by skoda for launching a car which is so similar to vento
subodh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 13:56   #3697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Assuming you checked it immediately after the drive was done. If so, then it's perfectly normal. Actually deja-vu for me - did the exact same thing and saw the coolant levels below the min mark. By the next day morning, it was back to normal levels.
Its the other way round. Coolant levels should be at the max mark on a hot engine and go down to the min mark on the cold engine. Which is probably why they fill the coolant level just in between. Its dangerous to open the coolant reservoir cap with a hot engine (say after a drive over respectable distance) cause the coolant is supposed to be hot and and under pressure.

So do check your coolant level on a cold engine and if its above the min level you should be happy . Am taking the car to the service station today. Will post an update after I am back.

Btw the recommended antifreeze (coolant) for VW is called as G12.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 15:31   #3698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Its the other way round. Coolant levels should be at the max mark on a hot engine and go down to the min mark on the cold engine. Which is probably why they fill the coolant level just in between. Its dangerous to open the coolant reservoir cap with a hot engine (say after a drive over respectable distance) cause the coolant is supposed to be hot and and under pressure.

So do check your coolant level on a cold engine and if its above the min level you should be happy . Am taking the car to the service station today. Will post an update after I am back.

Thanks! Wasn't aware of that - had assumed the other way. Wonder how it was the other way for me. Will be checking up again shortly.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 17:04   #3699
Senior - BHPian

I recollect reading in the forum about coolant level going down in one of the fellow owner's vento as well. Let us know what the diagnosis is by the service center and your experience in dealing with them? Sundaram or Abra?

That reminds me, I used to check the engine oil level once in a while, but has never checked the coolant level so far. I would anyways expect the ECU to warn us if the level falls dangerously low or something, no?

Quote:
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 17:29   #3700
mxx
BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure about this? I dont know the technical details about it, but my observation is just the opposite. ie, coolant levels down after long hours of usage.
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 18:23   #3701
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the time to put up my Initial Ownership thread after 9 months and 2700 kms. Hope you all like it.
Link: The Dark Knight has arrived : Pearl Black Vento TDi Highline.
el lobo 6061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 21:17   #3702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I recollect reading in the forum about coolant level going down in one of the fellow owner's vento as well. Let us know what the diagnosis is by the service center and your experience in dealing with them? Sundaram or Abra?

That reminds me, I used to check the engine oil level once in a while, but has never checked the coolant level so far. I would anyways expect the ECU to warn us if the level falls dangerously low or something, no?
I just came back after a series of highway drives 2500kms in all and decided to check the oil level - a simple measure to check if its drinking too much oil; something that might point to engine troubles like blown gaskets and so on. Interestingly i observed the coolant level was a tad below the MIN marker but the engine oil was fine. I Google'd up various TDI forums only to figure out that coolant level going down is a normal phenomena due to various reasons - some being harmful for the engine.

To appease my paranoia I decided to take the car to the service center as I had wanted to enable the auto speed lock anyway. I went to Sundaram as I have given up all hopes on Abra.In contrast to the grim pictures painted by previous Honda / GM owners on sundrams servicing I had some pleasant experience. I called up the number listed in the service booklet and the person who attended the phone asked me to come up rightaway - he claimed to be the GM VW Mount Road Service.

So I took my car and had a SA attending to it right away. He took a quick look under the hood and said there is nothing to worry and just asked me top it up with water (the same thing that a fellow bhpian was advised in one of the Bangalore showrooms IIRC). I was insistent that I dont want to take any risk and wanted a proper premix of antifeeze and water. He said he would do since i was adamant it but advised that it would cost as I have to buy the coolant and double checked with me if I was OK with the purchase (he felt it was not needed). I insisted and ended up buying the VW specified G12 anti-freeze which cost Rs. 490/-. He opened it and topped up my car. I did not like 2 things; One he topped it up above the MAX marker, Two he did not mix it with water - he said that over period of time the compounds break up and I dont have to worry. Since it was as less as 200ml I dint bother much

I also had the opportunity to walk into the service floor since I wanted to watch the VAS thingy. The service personal there was very friendly and explained a lot of things patiently and activated the speed lock and beep on door open/close. I dint want anything else. Finally when it came to billing they generated a performa which showed a Rs. 100/- charge for the VAS usage. I was surprised about it but the SA said the first time VAS usage is free and is supposed to be done by the dealer from whom the car was purchased during PDI. Subsequent usage of the VAS system explicitly on customer request is chargeable. I dint like this one bit but other than this minor hiccup I think Sundaram is leaps and bounds better than Abra. They had people who were pleasant & courteous, answer your questions patiently and have a clean service floor and atleast an average knowledge about the machine (if not better).

Coming back to the technical perspective their statement was Vento drinking up coolant is sort of norm and most cars that come up to 15K service have coolant levels much below the MIN level. I cant confirm this as mine had just 4K on the ODO; but fellow bhpians who have 9 - 10K in their ODO can help us with a quick check under their hood. Also the coolant level should go up on heated engine (to MAX mark) and come down on a cold engine (MIN mark). The manual has this and Google results are aplenty to back this up.

OT - @Bala, I think its time we had some sort of Vento meet in Chennai ;-). Dec is the lean period in work front so it should be possible. I think Ninja is here in Chennai too (going by his posts)

BTW anybody know how to look at the engine temperature - I would be interested in knowing how hot my engine is running

Last edited by SR-71 : 24th December 2011 at 21:41.
Old 24th December 2011, 22:05   #3703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cant confirm this as mine had just 4K on the ODO; but fellow bhpians who have 9 - 10K in their ODO can help us with a quick check under their hood. Also the coolant level should go up on heated engine (to MAX mark) and come down on a cold engine (MIN mark). The manual has this and Google results are aplenty to back this up.

OT - @Bala, I think its time we had some sort of Vento meet in Chennai ;-). Dec is the lean period in work front so it should be possible. I think Ninja is here in Chennai too (going by his posts)
Your points on the coolant are quite correct - checked it up on my car (she's done around 7.8k) the coolant's just a tad higher than the MIN mark - this is on while the car's been inactive for over a week.

OT : As for the Chennai meet, you had to put it up now, didn't you! Just left Chennai yesterday night after spending two weeks! But I'll be coming up again in mid Feb and mid March. As for the March trip, I'm getting my car - that's definitely sure; the plan's almost made up to the last details. A bit too early, but do PM your (& Bala's) numbers and locations. If I remember correctly, Bala stays at Velachery. I'll be put up at Mandaveli. Lets (try to) meet up, if the plans don't change by then.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 00:41   #3704
BHPian

Quote:
I think Sundaram is leaps and bounds better than Abra
This worries me a lot ABRAA, my vento got allocatated it will be delivered to me by Jan 1st week. I'd to fight with Abra Sales for my NCB insurance to be deducted upfront. When I've paid my amount, they insisted to make the full insurance amount , then the Bajaj Allianz will return the % bonus to me by check in 20 days time, is it accetable. They are really pushing me hard that they have never deducted the NCB before the registration...
testing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 13:02   #3705
BHPian

^^
I had a harrowing time with Abra during my car delivery - by far the worst I have ever dealt with in my opinion. Fellow BHPian Bala also had a painful time with them IMO. So I chose to goto Sundaram for the service advise. The fact that they are also located in the city helps. BTW ensure you activate your speed lock and other things via VAS before delivery else you will end up using the VAS system later on a chargeable basis like me (I had specifically instructed them to do it but they failed to do that and I had to spend time and money to do that later.