Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:45   #3976
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think everyone who is required to and eligible to get the fuel filter replaced should get it done early. VW would usually do it during the first service, but one will have to wait for that.
Its interesting why they would not recall to get it done. Is it not such a safety issue?
The best step would be to use the following attached part advisory uploaded by member dingolphie and then have a chat with your service center if your car needs this particular part replaced.

Diesel fuel leakage.pdf

I was observing sluggishness from a cold start and thats when my service center replaced this part. My SA had said back then that only specific Ventos affected are being replaced with this based on their VIN. I doubt how far that is true. I think all Ventos probably need this replacement as this filter is supposedly of a better quality. I wonder why an inferior quality one was put in the first place by VW .
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:25   #3977
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Good point, however I have few questions -

- I went through the link, news article didn't mention whether its a petrol or diesel.
- Is it a trendline or highline?

Diesel filter replacement is only for the TDI variant, and even then I beleive there was a leakage only on the drain plug, dont think the leakage is external. This change is applicable only to few batches , it was replaced in my car and my car didnt show any signs of leakage, atleast externally.

I feel we are mixing up a few things here, engine overheating can be due to mutiple reasons and if unnoticed can result in serious engine damage, but dont think can be a reason for the fire.

And for the doors getting jammed, I'm not sure since its a mechanical lever. Almost every car sold in India has had fire accidents at one point in time or the other, I would rather wait for the analysis than jumping into conclusion. I agree with Souravc, that VW needs to ensure they get to the root cause of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Making another post since the topic deserves separate undivided attention

Re - Recent News about Vento TDi catching fire in Pune
  • Seat belts jamming
  • Doors getting locked - we have debated, discussed and cribbed for N number of hours how the doors never lock from inside. Its hard to believe that due to a fire the doors get locked from inside too .
As with any modern cars, you get a visual warning on the IP when it happens. Tried researching, but couldnt figure out if the ECU cuts of RPM/reduce engine speed (Limp mode) when it happens though. But from one of our members description above, doesnt seem to be so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
How does a Vento owner get to know that the engine is overheating ? Did the Pune driver overlook the warnings ? The complex German Electronics should have shut down the engine ?
Regards, D
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:11   #3978
BHPian
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post

The things that I do not believe from the report are :-
  • Seat belts jamming
  • Doors getting locked - we have debated, discussed and cribbed for N number of hours how the doors never lock from inside. Its hard to believe that due to a fire the doors get locked from inside too .
The report also quoted 60% burns. Under such circumstances human reflexes will not be in a position to unlock seat belts or probably the plastic parts in the lock positions melted thereby jamming the mechanisim. As far as the door lock goes I think its a statement of people not being able to open it from outside rather than the passenger trying to do it - This only emphasizes how important it is for the speed sensing locks to both arm and disarm the locks (not just lock it). If it had, it would have been easier for passerby's to save him some crucial moments earlier.

On a related note, I doubt if diesel can burn so rapidly - its flash point is much higher, probably it was a petrol. But the victim is a business man - desi mentality says he would have brought a diesel car !!

Last edited by SR-71 : 3rd February 2012 at 16:22.
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:26   #3979
BHPian
 
SR-71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Also, please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd February 2012 at 18:49.
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:02   #3980
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NC / BOM
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 1,087 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

While I do feel it is very important for VW to come out with an analysis of the case in point, there are a few things every Vento owner can do on his car. Most of the issues have been well documented out here by the respective owners, on what are the symptoms, etc

The idea is to be aware of these symptoms and observe them. For instance I have tried hard to hear noises from the clutch, squeaks from the doors, keep "feeling" the effect of the A.C., observe the engine oil levels from time to time, and so on.

In my case the only case(s) I have seen is the A.C. effect go down, and the occasional squeaks that keep popping up in a while. Have verified with the workshop that filter changes are not needed for my car.

Interestingly, even after 10k kms, my Vento hasn't required a top-up at all. Which kinda of makes you wonder how each car could perform differently. All ye prospective Vento owners, please take the "problems" mentioned out here with a pinch of salt (of course this might go the other way too).
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 02:32   #3981
BHPian
 
doxinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc
a few BHP-ians have mentioned that fuel filter was replaced under warranty due to leaking fuel ( I hope I am correct here )
souravc, few weeks ago my car went to service centre only for some bodywork, however when I went to collect my car, I was told that the filter has been replaced under warranty. I asked them why? but couldn't get any convincing answer. The odo had logged about 9500.

Wearing seat-belts gives such reassuring feeling of being safe every time I hear the click. But just like you, I am wondering how is it possible for the belt to get jammed? Isn't it mechanical rather than electric? Am I gone senile in contemplating a small pen knife as an essential accessory to be tucked onto the overhead ticket holder? I know I am overreacting, but incidents like these brings to the fore the pessimism of human mind.

Despite this untoward incident, I have not lost faith in the German engined car. I hope these guys will let us know what really went wrong.

Last edited by doxinboy : 4th February 2012 at 02:44.
doxinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 04:29   #3982
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 303
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

This emergency tool is what I carry in my Swift.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 11:09   #3983
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Interestingly, even after 10k kms, my Vento hasn't required a top-up at all. Which kinda of makes you wonder how each car could perform differently. All ye prospective Vento owners, please take the "problems" mentioned out here with a pinch of salt (of course this might go the other way too).
Ninja , I will share you my experience . I had changed my engine oil to Mobil when it looked like needing a top-up - that was when the odo read 55XX kms . It went for servicing when the odo was around 147XX km without any top-up i.e. around 9000 km without any top-up . I changed the oil completely and given the quantity of oil that was drained out , I was told that the there was no remarkable loss of oil . From 147XX kms till date ( i.e. 207XX kms on the odo) not a single drop of top-up. So I think we erred quite a bit on our reading of the supposedly "oil drinking thirsty TDi" . I had rationalised it as possibly Mobil scoring over Castrol but truly it should not have any bearing on engine oil thirst. Only plausible explanation that I have is that the engine oil was not filled up properly prior to the car being handed over to us !! All or most of us have had the topping up thingie when the car was new and not any more !
On a side note I happened to check with a Castrol authorised dealer today . It seems that Magnatec would only have 5W - 30 henceforth , Castrol Edge is the brand to be used for 5w-40 ( also available in 0W-40) requirements . Edge is fully synthetic and retails for Rs 800 / ltr ( even though printed MRP is Rs 975 / ltr ... Rs975 /lt , does it ring a bell ? )
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 14:00   #3984
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,015
Thanked: 888 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post

Wearing seat-belts gives such reassuring feeling of being safe every time I hear the click. But just like you, I am wondering how is it possible for the belt to get jammed? Isn't it mechanical rather than electric? Am I gone senile in contemplating a small pen knife as an essential accessory to be tucked onto the overhead ticket holder? I know I am overreacting, but incidents like these brings to the fore the pessimism of human mind.

Despite this untoward incident, I have not lost faith in the German engined car. I hope these guys will let us know what really went wrong.
I have a Victorinox Swiss Knife on my key ring, so I hope that I am covered.

As others have commented, it is pretty difficult for the seat belt buckle to get jammed, as it is a pretty fail safe design. Even if the plastic melts, the metal parts will still be working.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 16:29   #3985
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,327
Thanked: 558 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Ninja , I will share you my experience . I had changed my engine oil to Mobil when it looked like needing a top-up - that was when the odo read 55XX kms . It went for servicing when the odo was around 147XX km without any top-up i.e. around 9000 km without any top-up . I changed the oil completely and given the quantity of oil that was drained out , I was told that the there was no remarkable loss of oil . From 147XX kms till date ( i.e. 207XX kms on the odo) not a single drop of top-up. So I think we erred quite a bit on our reading of the supposedly "oil drinking thirsty TDi" . I had rationalised it as possibly Mobil scoring over Castrol but truly it should not have any bearing on engine oil thirst. Only plausible explanation that I have is that the engine oil was not filled up properly prior to the car being handed over to us !! All or most of us have had the topping up thingie when the car was new and not any more !
On a side note I happened to check with a Castrol authorised dealer today . It seems that Magnatec would only have 5W - 30 henceforth , Castrol Edge is the brand to be used for 5w-40 ( also available in 0W-40) requirements . Edge is fully synthetic and retails for Rs 800 / ltr ( even though printed MRP is Rs 975 / ltr ... Rs975 /lt , does it ring a bell ? )
TDi cars drink oil when they are new. I check my engine oil level diligently at least once a week (as I do for all my cars) since it was new.
I had to top up 1 litre last week at 12000 Kms. So we have not erred, the engine has and they usually do when they are new
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 19:37   #3986
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 363 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I think you did around 75% in the highway? That will explain the reason behind yours not requiring an oil top-up till now. Its usually cold starts, short runs, B2B traffic that results in more consumption.

Either ways it should settle down post 15k kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Interestingly, even after 10k kms, my Vento hasn't required a top-up at all
Vento has seat belts with pretensioner, which is electro-mechanical, so there is a possibility that it got jammed too in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As others have commented, it is pretty difficult for the seat belt buckle to get jammed, as it is a pretty fail safe design. Even if the plastic melts, the metal parts will still be working.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 23:59   #3987
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Question to all Ventophiles owning the TDIs.

During my last visit to the service center the SA advised me to use the higher grade diesel and not the regular diesel. This is contrary to what was told to me by the guys at the dealer during delivery. AFAIK in this thread, owners have mentioned using the normal diesel and not the higher grade one, please correct me if I am wrong. What do you guys use? Should I be switching to the higher grade? Pointers would be very helpful.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 04:29   #3988
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Question to all Ventophiles owning the TDIs.

During my last visit to the service center the SA advised me to use the higher grade diesel and not the regular diesel. This is contrary to what was told to me by the guys at the dealer during delivery. AFAIK in this thread, owners have mentioned using the normal diesel and not the higher grade one, please correct me if I am wrong. What do you guys use? Should I be switching to the higher grade? Pointers would be very helpful.
I use normal diesel only since I do not trust the ones with additives in it - its not really a higher grade diesel ( like low sulphur , etc )
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 08:37   #3989
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I use normal diesel only since I do not trust the ones with additives in it - its not really a higher grade diesel ( like low sulphur , etc )
Thats what I thought though this is completely but whats the use then of this supposedly "Higher Grade" diesel the OMCs sell at a higher price if they are not actually low sulphur. I was browsing through the Audi India site and was looking at the A6 specs and they recommend using low sulphur diesel. I wonder how the A6 manages. On a different note if the Vento thrills with that 250 Nm @ 1500 RPM, man I wonder how that 3L TDI on the A6 with 500 Nm @ 1400 RPM would feel like.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 12:40   #3990
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Hi ,

I took delivery of my Vento HL TDi last Friday and it's been pure fun so far. I miss the steering feel of my 10 yrs old Palio though.

My car doesn't warn me of seat belts, is this something to be programmed at workshop or is this feature not available with Vento ???

Cheers,
Sameer
icecoolsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks