Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 10:46   #4936
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,207
Thanked: 7,921 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Ninja he is quoting more, I got a Bajaj Allianz Drive Assure economy, and I ended up paying 25 something, get a quote from Bajaj guys as well..... call them up, the website would tell the rack rate
Same here. 25k-odd (Vento AT list price is almost identical to TDI HL). There was no significant reduction YoY like I'd expected- got some unsatisfactory explanation that this is the case for all Ventos. Anyway, I went ahead since I trust the agent. Will PM you her number. Online quotes are higher by 2-3K than what this agent can provide.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:01   #4937
BHPian
 
evilshantanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@Souravc / @evilShantanu - thanks for sharing the documents. Guys, by your documents I trust you have got 20% NCB discount for the 2nd year premium - I wouldn't be getting that for my quote. And keeping that in consideration, a 28k quote seems to be in line with what you got. And as @joslicx has correctly mentioned, there was a lot of news about the premiums to be increasing this year.
I guess even with the new Budget thingy it should not cost you 3-4K more
Haan if you want to increase the IDV value of your car, then I guess one would end up paying a little higher Premium
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:15   #4938
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 128
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Isn't it possible to lower your IDV pay less premium since most of us don't expect the car to be stolen or totaled. So if your IDV is at 8L, ask them to make its say 6L and save 25% on premium.

Also does 3rd party insurance cover damage to other cars in an accident, I know that its a very simple procedure in western countries but I have never heard of people paying for other cars damages from their insurance in India. If its possible whats the procedure?
Abhinav.Daos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:21   #4939
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,329
Thanked: 560 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

The AC vents which break easily cost Rs 2000 per vent. I had to get two of them replaced (both near the doors) and had to pay 4000 plus labour charges. So much for Vento's build quality.

Had AC blowers working weakly and got to know the filters were clogged and new ones had to be installed for about 1000 rupees.

One of my friend's Vento is having noise in steering after driving through rough road. Not sure if its with the steering mechanism inside the car or something connecting to the wheels.

Last edited by srishiva : 21st August 2012 at 11:23.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:24   #4940
BHPian
 
evilshantanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Isn't it possible to lower your IDV pay less premium since most of us don't expect the car to be stolen or totaled. So if your IDV is at 8L, ask them to make its say 6L and save 25% on premium.

Also does 3rd party insurance cover damage to other cars in an accident, I know that its a very simple procedure in western countries but I have never heard of people paying for other cars damages from their insurance in India. If its possible whats the procedure?
Interesting! what is the basis of expectancy here? When I upgraded to the Zero Depriciation policy in March this year, I never expected to claim the insurance.

In short, these things doesnt happen because of expectancy. This will happen when you would least expect it. Who would expect his car to be totalled or stolen?
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:45   #4941
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 40
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hey guys need some help here.

The a/c display on my 2011 Vento has partially failed. I would like your advice and thoughts on the matter.

The left side that displays the blower speed is failing. The lower-most bar of the fan speed is very faint / not visible. The fan icon is gone and so is the border and the empty bars.

What could have caused this? Is it possible to replace the display alone? Will it be covered under warranty? The car was bought July '11.

I had started a thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2877295 (VW Vento A/C display failure) . I'm sorry if i'm double posting.
Ayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:46   #4942
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,207
Thanked: 7,921 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The AC vents which break easily cost Rs 2000 per vent. I had to get two of them replaced (both near the doors) and had to pay 4000 plus labour charges. So much for Vento's build quality.
This is an extremely common problem with Ventos after around 25,000 km. It is quite obviously a rip-off. 4,000 plus labour for two AC vents? I have the same problem and will ask them to replace it under warranty or go to some unauthorised service station to get this done.

Quote:
Had AC blowers working weakly and got to know the filters were clogged and new ones had to be installed for about 1000 rupees.
This is OK. Since climatronic "auto" mode keeps it in fresh mode most of the time, there is a lot of load on the air/pollen filter and change is recommended every 15,000 km. Mine are also acting up now.

Quote:
One of my friend's Vento is having noise in steering after driving through rough road. Not sure if its with the steering mechanism inside the car or something connecting to the wheels.
Not sure if this is the front suspension rattle that is the trademark of all VW AG cars. Unbelievably we found it on the Q3 as well! Imagine you pay 45 lac for a car and they haven't got this basic problem right!
Frankly, have got used to it and don't even notice this anymore. In general the Vento is pretty rattle-free.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:47   #4943
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,222
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Interesting! what is the basis of expectancy here? When I upgraded to the Zero Depriciation policy in March this year, I never expected to claim the insurance.

In short, these things doesnt happen because of expectancy. This will happen when you would least expect it. Who would expect his car to be totalled or stolen?
well we have a bhpian here (dkaile) who doesnt even get his vehicles insured (he takes only third party insurance which is mandatory to have to drive the vehicle). This way his insurance costs almost nil. His reasoning is that the savings could fund a major repair - whenever required. And he maintains good relations with a friendly garage for any/all repairs.

Different people different perceptions. Although must say I wouldnt have the guts to go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

One of my friend's Vento is having noise in steering after driving through rough road. Not sure if its with the steering mechanism inside the car or something connecting to the wheels.
Hey theres a thread here on this problem. Most likely cause is wheel balancing if I remember correctly.

Last edited by joslicx : 21st August 2012 at 11:51.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:55   #4944
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,329
Thanked: 560 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This is an extremely common problem with Ventos after around 25,000 km. It is quite obviously a rip-off. 4,000 plus labour for two AC vents? I have the same problem and will ask them to replace it under warranty or go to some unauthorised service station to get this done.


This is OK. Since climatronic "auto" mode keeps it in fresh mode most of the time, there is a lot of load on the air/pollen filter and change is recommended every 15,000 km. Mine are also acting up now.


Not sure if this is the front suspension rattle that is the trademark of all VW AG cars. Unbelievably we found it on the Q3 as well! Imagine you pay 45 lac for a car and they haven't got this basic problem right!
Frankly, have got used to it and don't even notice this anymore. In general the Vento is pretty rattle-free.
The bill for the vents came to 3500 finally (will update the exact amount later) The AC filter got clogged just after 5 months. I don't drive it much in dusty conditions. Not sure if the filter can be cleaned occasionally as DIY.

The steering noise started after he went through a rough patch. It happens only when the steering is turned for more than 1/4 rotation. Its certainly not rattle. Other than the doors not much rattle anywhere else though.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 12:06   #4945
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NC / BOM
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 1,087 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayson View Post
Hey guys need some help here.

The a/c display on my 2011 Vento has partially failed. I would like your advice and thoughts on the matter.

The left side that displays the blower speed is failing. The lower-most bar of the fan speed is very faint / not visible. The fan icon is gone and so is the border and the empty bars.

What could have caused this? Is it possible to replace the display alone? Will it be covered under warranty? The car was bought July '11.

I had started a thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2877295 (VW Vento A/C display failure) . I'm sorry if i'm double posting.
Hi @Ayson,
This seems to be the first reporting of such a problem, although I remember a few posts in the past on the MID display having issues in somebody's Vento/Polo. However, get it shown to the VW workshop, if this is not a minor software glitch, it would definitely be repaired/replaced under warranty.

Don't worry if the entire unit needs to be changed or only the display - that's the problem of the workshop.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 12:17   #4946
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The bill for the vents came to 3500 finally (will update the exact amount later) The AC filter got clogged just after 5 months. I don't drive it much in dusty conditions. Not sure if the filter can be cleaned occasionally as DIY.
Are you using recirculation mode or fresh air mode? I used to have the fresh air mode on and because of the dust out here had to replace the filter after 7/8 months. After this I always use the recirculation mode. This was discussed in this thread earlier I think when I had that problem. From what I understand even in the recirculation mode the a/c periodically lets out the air from inside and takes in air from outside. Since the time I have switched to recirculation mode I have stopped having the problem of ineffective cooling.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 12:52   #4947
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,329
Thanked: 560 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Are you using recirculation mode or fresh air mode? I used to have the fresh air mode on and because of the dust out here had to replace the filter after 7/8 months. After this I always use the recirculation mode. This was discussed in this thread earlier I think when I had that problem. From what I understand even in the recirculation mode the a/c periodically lets out the air from inside and takes in air from outside. Since the time I have switched to recirculation mode I have stopped having the problem of ineffective cooling.
I use fresh air mode. AUTO setting always on. Will try to use re circulation as often as possible. Would have liked if we could clean it ourselves with a vacuum cleaner
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 15:52   #4948
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayson View Post
Hey guys need some help here.

The a/c display on my 2011 Vento has partially failed. I would like your advice and thoughts on the matter.

The left side that displays the blower speed is failing. The lower-most bar of the fan speed is very faint / not visible. The fan icon is gone and so is the border and the empty bars.

What could have caused this? Is it possible to replace the display alone? Will it be covered under warranty? The car was bought July '11.
If its a manufacturing defect ( which it sounds like) its covered under the 2 year comprehensive warranty - raise it through your authorised workshop. Sometimes displays get conked off if one tries to clean it using solutions / water - hope thats not the case.


Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The bill for the vents came to 3500 finally (will update the exact amount later) The AC filter got clogged just after 5 months. I don't drive it much in dusty conditions. Not sure if the filter can be cleaned occasionally as DIY.

The steering noise started after he went through a rough patch. It happens only when the steering is turned for more than 1/4 rotation. Its certainly not rattle. Other than the doors not much rattle anywhere else though.
Those AC vents are very flimsy and when one hears the cost it seems daylight robbery. In my car the panes broke within the first 6 months, the workshop glued it together . Ninja gave a good solution , applying machine oil once in a while helps because that prevents the vanes from getting jammed up at the pivot points which breaks when one tries to turn it.

On the matter of air filters , given the extent of pollen problem in Bangalore and the lower ambient temp in the city I think its better that you change the AC filter more frequently . That would ensure prevention of bacteria buildup on the filters which gets passed onto the air flow
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 16:22   #4949
BHPian
 
supertinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 697
Thanked: 321 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post

I see no damage to upper grill, monogram or lower grill - lower grill is miss aligned due to the impact.... and what is "absorbers" he said they are inside and may or may not need replacement...

I'm in two minds wheather to get this done or not... the car has done 7,000 kms in around 80 days and I drive it a lot and these minor things will keep happening, he says the car is fine and no compulsion to get this done... but the issue is I have to get high-security number plate installed - and if I fix it on damaged bumper - I can't get a new one for new bumper without banging head with FIR at police and the RTO!
I'm confused - please help!
my advice would be to definitely change the bumper since it has big cracks, but the rest is all dependent on your personal choice. I have noticed that A.S.S guys while creating estimates tend to really blow it up to get insurance approval etc, but you can be clear on what all items you want covered. Unfortunately we need to learn to live with small cracks and dents and scratches keeping in mind the traffic conditions in India.
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 18:18   #4950
BHPian
 
newtonMeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 482
Thanked: 313 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc

If its a manufacturing defect ( which it sounds like) its covered under the 2 year comprehensive warranty - raise it through your authorised workshop. Sometimes displays get conked off if one tries to clean it using solutions / water - hope thats not the case.

Those AC vents are very flimsy and when one hears the cost it seems daylight robbery. In my car the panes broke within the first 6 months, the workshop glued it together . Ninja gave a good solution , applying machine oil once in a while helps because that prevents the vanes from getting jammed up at the pivot points which breaks when one tries to turn it.

On the matter of air filters , given the extent of pollen problem in Bangalore and the lower ambient temp in the city I think its better that you change the AC filter more frequently . That would ensure prevention of bacteria buildup on the filters which gets passed onto the air flow
Those vents are built in Germany hence the cost. Why would something built in Germany be so flimsy? Why can't vw start localising basic stuff? Other day I was inspecting my ventos underbody, the very basic hose connecting the radiator had a big " made in Germany " why can't a simple hose be localised in India?

Attaching pic of the made in Germany ac vent



Name:  image3443672021.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  532.5 KB



Name:  image1801975403.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  442.3 KB
newtonMeter is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks