Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 23rd October 2012, 09:43   #5326
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Have you got delivery of your car yet? How long did it take. And do you really need to keep the GPS module in the car (assuming you are happy to live with the rear sensors alone and don't care for the camera?
Got delivery of my Shadow Blue Vento TDi this sunday. Delivery process took around 2 hrs. When I reached at 12pm they were just starting to wash the car. Then the number plates, flaps etc were fitted. Am really loving the car. Its a big upgrade for me from my old humble santro. Have to still get used to not start pushing the accelerator pedal while releasing the clutch otherwise it jerks (I am used to petrols). About the GPS module, the niggling thing is that the reverse camera works only when the car charger cable is connected, otherwise it doesnt work. So that means that I have to keep the car charging cable connected to the windshield mount. Of course I remove the charger from the 12V port once the unit is fully charged but when I have to use the reverse cam, I put it in again. But this would not have been the case had VW provided a in-dash SataNav unit. GPS locks are really fast and turn by turn navigation is also good. Bluetooth also works nicely though havent had opportunity to test it much.
Have done about 130 kms till date and I am in love with this beauty. Will put up my ownership thread once I gain some decent 1000-2000 kms so that I can give a real picture.
surd_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:12   #5327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker

Got delivery of my Shadow Blue Vento TDi this sunday. Delivery process took around 2 hrs.
Congrats. Lucky you. Btw, when did you book? No sign of my car yet, was told that there are next to no Petrol AT s being delivered.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:54   #5328
BHPian

Hello Gentlemen!

I have a query. As we all know very well Polo and Vento share a lot of parts among them. Now, are the front disks and rear drums on the Vento the same from the Polo? Meaning are they of the same dimensions and/or same breaking power? Do let me know.

Thanks!
suhaildurrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 07:56   #5329
BHPian

Fellow Bangalore ventopians

I am going to palace cross for car maintenance and to fix some issues ( alignment, rear parcel tray rattle etc)

Needed your help for a good SErvice Advisor there
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 09:28   #5330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Congrats. Lucky you. Btw, when did you book? No sign of my car yet, was told that there are next to no Petrol AT s being delivered.
Thanks. I had actually booked Highline Bridge model on 29Aug but later on changed on 11/12sep to the new refreshed Highline. So I would say it took about a little more than a month from my confirmation of the new highline to delivery. Guess color also plays a part here. White / Silver are more readily available.
Old 25th October 2012, 10:20   #5331
BHPian

Hi,

Just replaced my 5-year old Fiesta Petrol 1.4 with a Vento Petrol Highline MT. Booked the car on October 9 and received the car on October 23 -- Maha-Ashtami. Was keen to take delivery on Ashtami, which is why agreed to take a silver car. Otherwise would have preferred the beige, but that was not available.

Have only had the standard accessories, including the GPS with rear camera. The GPS is extremely useful, the camera: not really. Also I think these additional stuff make one less of a driver. Basically messes up the judgment factor I think. The standard GPS unit is the Garmin Nuvi. Will take some getting used to as I use a Mapmyindia device in the other car.

Drives well, stability and handling seem quite good. Space in the rear seat seemed very good. The ride to office today felt very nice.
satrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 10:25   #5332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
Just replaced my 5-year old Fiesta Petrol 1.4 with a Vento Petrol Highline MT.
Congrats on getting the Vento. Robust and Quality in build is what oozes out in them.
Awaiting your ownership thread as not many Vento petrols are here!

Cheers,
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 13:22   #5333
BHPian

Quote:
Just replaced my 5-year old Fiesta Petrol 1.4 with a Vento Petrol Highline MT.
Also I think these additional stuff make one less of a driver. Basically messes up the judgment factor I think.
Congrats. Agree with you on the judgement factor - But the rear cam does help you see things which you wouldnt notice otherwise. Its proving to be quite useful for me while parking my car in the stilt coz I can now see how close I am to the rear wall. But simply I hate the charging wire dangling in front of the head unit. I am planning to use some tape to secure it to the one side of the head unit. Whats your take on this?
surd_biker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 13:56   #5334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
But the rear cam does help you see things which you wouldnt notice otherwise. Its proving to be quite useful for me while parking my car in the stilt coz I can now see how close I am to the rear wall. But simply I hate the charging wire dangling in front of the head unit. I am planning to use some tape to secure it to the one side of the head unit. Whats your take on this?
The wire is certainly a problem. Also yesterday while turning left at a corner, felt that the head unit interefered with my vision. Can't understand why Volkswagen could not just incorporate the GPS into the stereo display unit.

Couple of other weird stuff -- could not use the BT audio unit to connect my phone to the car's speakers. Had to connect to the GPS unit. The car stereo shows the option, but the dealer says that this cannot be done.

The other problem is that when I lock or unlock the car, the horn sounds off. The dealer says that I need to take the car to the workshop, where this would need to be adjusted by connecting the car to the VCU.

The boot also cannot be opened using the remote. This will also have to be fixed through the VCU.

One question, for those who have had Ventos for a while. Planning a trip from Mumbai-Varanasi-Nainital-Delhi-Mumbai. Should I take the Vento or my Yeti? Would have my family. While speeds in Yeti would be higher, boot space here would be an advantage.
satrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 15:33   #5335
Senior - BHPian

First of all congrats on your new acquisition and we look forward to your ownership thread. Petrol Vento are very less and we all be interested in knowing your deciding factor for Vento.

Quote:
One question, for those who have had Ventos for a while. Planning a trip from Mumbai-Varanasi-Nainital-Delhi-Mumbai. Should I take the Vento or my Yeti? Would have my family. While speeds in Yeti would be higher, boot space here would be an advantage.
If I had both in my garage, my pick would be Yeti, because of higher GC and more comfortable ride and places like Varanasi & Nanital would be better off with a Yeti + diesel advantage. If it was just Mum-Del, Vento without a doubt.

Even though I say the above, I plan to do Leh in my Vento TDi.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 25th October 2012 at 15:37.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 15:48   #5336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other problem is that when I lock or unlock the car, the horn sounds off. The dealer says that I need to take the car to the workshop, where this would need to be adjusted by connecting the car to the VCU.
The boot also cannot be opened using the remote. This will also have to be fixed through the VCU.

That is a inherent problem with VW here. These features normally does'nt come activated from the factory and needs to be done by the dealer through the the VAS. Some feature are listed below.

1. Audible feedback when unlocking
2. Audible feedback when locking
3. Automatic unlocking when removing ignition key
4. Automatic locking at 15km/h
5. Automatic rear lid locking at 5km/h

Makes sence to deacivate the adubile feedback while opening and retain the audible feedcak while locking.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 16:59   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The wire is certainly a problem. Also yesterday while turning left at a corner, felt that the head unit interefered with my vision. Can't understand why Volkswagen could not just incorporate the GPS into the stereo display unit.

Couple of other weird stuff -- could not use the BT audio unit to connect my phone to the car's speakers. Had to connect to the GPS unit. The car stereo shows the option, but the dealer says that this cannot be done.
@surd_biker, you and others who have got the latest version of this car should update the Vento tips & tricks thread - nothing on the GPS unit has been documented out there.

Us "oldies" can't really help you guys on this aspect(s).

Quote:

Get this done at the workshop - shouldn't take more than half an hour or hour at max. Actually the main job is quite short, rest of the time would be taken up in creating a job cart etc.

Note: This service is for free. Do not pay any charges.

Quote:
Wow! You do have good cars in your garage!

Well, to put it properly, the Vento should do these roads (highways, hilly regions) without any issue. Without any other constraints (like boot space) my choice would be the Yeti, plainly for the additional power it provides. But I can assure you, this car (Vento) can easily take up the task at hand without any issues.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 15:45   #5338
BHPian

Quote:

@satrab,

1. The RCD310 cannot connect to the phone because the bluetooth module is not installed in Vento. So the only option for us is to use the bluetooth in the navigation unit. The cost of the original bluetooth unit is prohibitively expensive.

2. When I lock or unlock the car only the blinkers come on and off. There is no horn sound.

3. Also I am able to open the boot though the remote key. You just have to keep it pressed for a little longer. Try it, if that doesnt work you might have to get it done at the dealership. (but it should come enabled by default)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@surd_biker, you and others who have got the latest version of this car should update the Vento tips & tricks thread - nothing on the GPS unit has been documented out there.

Us "oldies" can't really help you guys on this aspect(s).
Sure will do so once I am well versed with the garmin features.
BTW check out this. Garmin even tells me my fuel cost. Amazing. Dont know how it calculates but it had asked me for vehicle profile where I had to enter fuel cost and urban mileage and highway mileage.

Name:  318608.png
Views: 2042
Size:  34.6 KB
All the fields including the fuel cost keep updating in real time when you switch to this display mode.
Name:  319163.png
Views: 1972
Size:  35.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
That is a inherent problem with VW here. These features normally does'nt come activated from the factory and needs to be done by the dealer through the the VAS. Some feature are listed below.

1. Audible feedback when unlocking
2. Audible feedback when locking
3. Automatic unlocking when removing ignition key
4. Automatic locking at 15km/h
5. Automatic rear lid locking at 5km/h

Makes sence to deacivate the adubile feedback while opening and retain the audible feedcak while locking.

Cheers!
Nope buddy My Vento TDi Highline came with all this activated except 1 and 2 (only blink no sound). Maybe this is a problem with only satrab's car.

Last edited by surd_biker : 26th October 2012 at 15:52.
Old 26th October 2012, 19:11   #5339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Nope buddy My Vento TDi Highline came with all this activated except 1 and 2 (only blink no sound). Maybe this is a problem with only satrab's car.
No, this is not a "problem" as such with either of your cars. Just that @satrab's dealer decided to activate only those specific services, while your dealer did the ones (activated) on your car.

Basically once the car is being readied for delivery, the workshop guys have to connect the car to the VAS machine as a part of their PDI process and activate the features. VW disables these features when they send the car from the factory to the dealer. Not sure why, but probably due to some internal process/routines.

If you are/were aware of the specific features, you can request them to do as per your choice during delivery. (I did it for my car) And by what I observed at the workshop during my delivery, it is just a minor job.

Edit: IMO, I wouldn't activate 1 & 2. Yes, it provides you with an assurance factor while locking/unlocking, but seriously it is a nuisance when you are in a closed parking facility or especially at late night. I am planning to disable it for my car during my second servicing.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th October 2012 at 19:14.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 19:39   #5340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
However my HV AC unit needs to be replaced (under warranty) and they didn't have AC vents in stock either. Parts have been ordered or so they say, for the past 3 weeks! Ridiculous.
HVAC unit failed ? Could you add more details about the failure or issue ?

Did you opt for extended warranty ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote