Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 7th November 2012, 22:00   #5371
BHPian

My single biggest problem is that I cannot get an attachment to connect my iPod to the car using the auxiliary jack. Even smaller cars such as the Figo offer this. Any idea where I Can pick it up in Mumbai?
satrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 22:17   #5372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab
My single biggest problem is that I cannot get an attachment to connect my iPod to the car using the auxiliary jack. Even smaller cars such as the Figo offer this. Any idea where I Can pick it up in Mumbai?
If your model doesn't have an Aux-in Jack, then use an FM transmitter.
There are some models that will attach to the dock connector of the iPod while some will be the generic ones with 3.5mm (headphone) Jack.

But keep in mind you won't be able to control the iPod using the HU of the car. It will work as of your car speakers are your big headphones, that's it.

If you want to control iPod using your car, you better have the RCD310 system. With that you can connect the MDI kit to get the required functionality.

Last edited by agambhandari : 7th November 2012 at 22:43.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 22:22   #5373
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
if you can go back a few pages on this very thread you can find what you want! Else contact ninjatalli who I think has bought this cable and pray he's nice enough to let out the secret to you
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 23:23   #5374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
if you can go back a few pages on this very thread you can find what you want! Else contact ninjatalli who I think has bought this cable and pray he's nice enough to let out the secret to you
Shhh - you are asking me to reveal one of the world's biggest secret - rumor is Dan Brown is writing a book about it!

Quote:
I'm assuming you have the lastest model with the RCD310 player (and steering controls).

Basically the USB cable in the glovebox needs to be replaced by another cable - none available in India but you can order from overseas via ebay (and other websites).

I got mine from this gentleman from Hong Kong - Ebay Link. Weirdly he's got India on the exclusion list, however you could message him and see if he's ready to ship to India.

Another options from Ebay USA - Ebay Link. He doesn't have any concerns on shipping to India thankfully.

The product works fine with all Apple products, still to test on the Iphone 5
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 07:21   #5375
jpm
BHPian

got the info from VW SA
Difference b/w Bridge CL and Refresh CL
1. 14' steel wheels vs 15'
2. Manual Central Locking vs Remote Locking

Thats all. All the rest are same.
jpm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 10:30   #5376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Shhh - you are asking me to reveal one of the world's biggest secret - rumor is Dan Brown is writing a book about it!

I'm assuming you have the lastest model with the RCD310 player (and steering controls).

Basically the USB cable in the glovebox needs to be replaced by another cable - none available in India but you can order from overseas via ebay (and other websites).

I got mine from this gentleman from Hong Kong - Ebay Link. Weirdly he's got India on the exclusion list, however you could message him and see if he's ready to ship to India.

Another options from Ebay USA - Ebay Link. He doesn't have any concerns on shipping to India thankfully.

The product works fine with all Apple products, still to test on the Iphone 5
If you are really looking for a quick solution for the cable, go to the VW workshop and give them this part no http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2824843 if they have the part in stock ( the same cable is given in the high line variant of Jetta) it should cost you around INR 3300.

Sid
siddharthdeb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 11:41   #5377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
If you are really looking for a quick solution for the cable, go to the VW workshop and give them this part no http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2824843 if they have the part in stock ( the same cable is given in the high line variant of Jetta) it should cost you around INR 3300.

Sid
Correct answer, wrong post quoted Quoting @satrab for the same.

Btw that is over three times the cost of what I got. From the images and description, it seems to be the same part.

Quote:
FYI & NA please.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 16:55   #5378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Manish Singh - excellent chap.
SA Anil or Alok (i forgot the name) was assigned to me but I had reached by 9.15am and not all SA had arrived by then. Manish was the first to arrive at 9.30am and since I wanted the vehicle same day, he took my car. I think he was busy with something as heard him saying that he will leave at 5pm today etc and was giving KT to someone called Anil (patil). May be due to this he had some divided attention. Benefit of doubt given.

Overall a decent experience and he did recognise you

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Khad Khad noise, that's needs a check. Surely something may be lose which may be causing the sound. Do update us tomorrow on the outcome and the experience at VW Workshop. Hoping it be a good one. You could as well have oil topped up, coolant checked while you are going tomorrow.
Got this checked. There was some greasing required in the motor post which it worked just fine. It was painful to watch the guy open the plastic panel.

All regular checks done with Oil top up, air filter cleaning etc.

Additionally, I got the ECU updated for my car. Mine is Feb 12 manufactured car.

Old SW Version - 9295
New SW Version - 9811.

As per the conversation with Mr.John, Sr. Technician
- These SW versions are not same for all Ventos. It varies from car to car. Ex - Some car has current version as 9254 the new version may be 9899. So the SW versions are not standard for all Ventos.
- I asked him for the changelog. He said - these versions only improve/corrects the fuel injection parameter. Since the engines have been tested on German fuel standards, VW is constantly working on updating the system to make it best suited for Indian fuel quality.

One thing noticed immediately after service was - car was more responsive and was revving more freely. The visual effect of the RPM needle felt so smooth and quick. Found it a little less noisy.

I had requested for headlight levelling. On the bill I was charged about INR 130 for the same!! The unit price was 3.5 and quantity was 37.xx. I mean how could they take 37 odd minutes for just headlight levelling. On highlighting this to the SA Manish, he said "we dont enter these units and quantity in the system. These values populates automatically as soon as we enter the task/job code."

If this is the case, then we are paying unnecessary extra. VW should do something about this.

On a similar note, they had charged me about INR 80 for the lubrication they did for Power window. When I argued saying - Car is under warranty. Its just 7months old. The noise is not due to any physical damage and its a mechanical issue, then why am I being asked to pay for this?
Then they agreed to waive off that charge. They had used some spray called Rust OFF for this lubrication for which they charged me INR 92 and said its a consumable so I will have to bear it.

Its not about 100-200Rs, its about you should charge correct and not unnecessary add up the amounts.

Overall I paid ~INR 1600 (970 for the Engine Oil, 350 for general check up, 130 for headlight levelling, 92 for Rust OFF and remaning tax).

For just a general check up one additional work of Power window lubrication they took about 6hrs. That too after I had requested for quick delivery as I was waiting there. Another thing was, it was my efforts tht I went inside the workshop and checked on the status of the work. The SA did not even once come to me in these 6hours to share an intermittent update that xyz tasks are done and abc are WIP. But yes, he did not fail from telling me that - "Sir, customers are not allowed in the workshop. Pls wait at the lounge"

Overall satisfaction level in terms of service experience - Average

Satisfaction about the jobs done on car and state of the car after service - Awesome. With a more free revving engine, 250NM becomes much more enjoyable

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari

Last edited by aniket.tiwari27 : 8th November 2012 at 17:07. Reason: Typo correction
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 19:20   #5379
Senior - BHPian

A small problem in my beloved Vento...

Din't use the car for a period of 9 days but she was pampered everyday, Jopasu & QD. So yesterday while out going for shopping, tried opening the boot to clean my car using Jopasu(it stays in the boot).

Unlocked the car. Started the car, so the engine would settle in while I Jopasu it. Unlock the boot via switch present on the driver side door.

Next sound, I hear is Khad Khad Khad from the boot locking mechanism.

My heart sank in. Why this had to happen?

Tried locking the boot, but it wont. Tried, once, twice. No way it was closing. So gave it another hard push and it did close. Again unlocked it via driver side switch, khad khad noise. So definitely something is wrong with the mechanism. Anyway, cleaned the car with Jopasu & kept it back in the boot and closed the boot with a heavy heart.

I seriously don't like getting problem in my car.

Anyway went grocery shopping, which meant opening & closing of boot many-a-times. Well sometime it opened up perfectly, but just when I thought worst was over, the noise comes back again to haunt, khad khad. So anyway reached home with boot closed.

Mind says, "So will need to go tomorrow to have it rectified. But will I get an appointment." Damn. I hate to go to workshops. Resolve one problem and come back with another. Cascading effect.

But...

Read Aniket's tryst with the same sort of noise but from the power window's motor, which was resolved by some lubrication. So why not try it on the boot locking mechanism, may help in some way.

Armed with Zorrik 88 (Pidilite's way of calling WD-40) & a tissue paper to wipe of excess. Opened up boot, khad Khad. Damn.

Sprayed onto the locking mechanism, with enough WD-40 with some later dripping onto tissue. That should lubricate it enough. Closed the boot and QD the car since Pigeons aren't too kind on my car.

15-20 mins later, thought of opening the boot to see if any miracle has happened. Again opened via driver side door switch. VOILA! No khad khad. Closed the boot with just enough push to lock it in. Again opened it up and no more khad khad.

Wiped up the excess WD-40 near the locking mechanism and again sprayed onto the mechanism. So it be lubricated enough to not make the dreaded khad khad over the night.

So I saved myself from going to workshop today. Yes!

Today opened up the boot in the evening to clean the car and no more weird noises. Better, boot now closes more silently. I may be exaggerating. But certainly Pidillite Zorrik-88 saved the day for me and a trip to workshop.

Hope all stays fine and touch wood.

Advice needed :

Now should I even lubricate the locks on the door as well? Since my car is 1.5 yr old, wouldn't she be needing some lubrication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Got this checked. There was some greasing required in the motor post which it worked just fine. It was painful to watch the guy open the plastic panel.

All regular checks done with Oil top up, air filter cleaning etc.

Additionally, I got the ECU updated for my car. Mine is Feb 12 manufactured car.

Old SW Version - 9295
New SW Version - 9811.

Overall I paid ~INR 1600 (970 for the Engine Oil, 350 for general check up, 130 for headlight levelling, 92 for Rust OFF and remaning tax).
Good to know that the problem has been resolved to your satisfaction. Only thing being, charges seem to be a bit on the higher side. Premium value we pay for VW brand name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
But yes, he did not fail from telling me that - "Sir, customers are not allowed in the workshop. Pls wait at the lounge"
The only problem at workshop is time taken by mechanics to do their work. Staying back and looking at your car is very good habit. With many stories of VW dealers taking owner car on a spin and ending up with some damage or the other. Even the dealer from whom I get my car serviced has previously wrecked a Jetta. Don't know its condition now.

When last time I stayed back during the 1st paid service and constantly kept going to the workshop bays, to have a look & get to know the work done, every mechanic was advising me to stay back in customer lounge. Then later SA comes to say the same thing, adding manager is not happy about it.

But my car is getting serviced, I ought to see what's happening. So only manager was left to come out of his cabin to warn me. But anyway I kept doing rounds, since I was bored of sitting in their AC lounge and watching dth.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 10th November 2012 at 19:23.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 10:18   #5380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
The only problem at workshop is time taken by mechanics to do their work. Staying back and looking at your car is very good habit. With many stories of VW dealers taking owner car on a spin and ending up with some damage or the other. Even the dealer from whom I get my car serviced has previously wrecked a Jetta. Don't know its condition now.

When last time I stayed back during the 1st paid service and constantly kept going to the workshop bays, to have a look & get to know the work done, every mechanic was advising me to stay back in customer lounge. Then later SA comes to say the same thing, adding manager is not happy about it.

But my car is getting serviced, I ought to see what's happening. So only manager was left to come out of his cabin to warn me. But anyway I kept doing rounds, since I was bored of sitting in their AC lounge and watching dth.
Yes I agree it's a great habit to not just be present in the ASC, but be there standing right next to your car when it's being serviced. That way, the blokes at the ASC won't take you for a ride or your car for a joyride
I have been able to successfully do it at Mahindra servicenters and you say you did it at vw too. My question is can you do it with every ASC of any company? I imagine some of them might be particularly strict about not allowing this. Can you fight it in that case?
kaiserketkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 11:10   #5381
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Yes I agree it's a great habit to not just be present in the ASC, but be there standing right next to your car when it's being serviced. That way, the blokes at the ASC won't take you for a ride or your car for a joyride
I have been able to successfully do it at Mahindra servicenters and you say you did it at vw too. My question is can you do it with every ASC of any company? I imagine some of them might be particularly strict about not allowing this. Can you fight it in that case?
Yes. it is a good habit to be in ASC standing with your vehicle.
Reiterating your statements , "the blokes at the ASC won't take you for a ride or your car for a joyride "

This has been my mantra with 2 cars and 5 bikes. Every thing that gets changed will be done in my presence. All spares would be inspected by me and then would be put on. of course there was an exception because of an oil seal, i had to leave the car in ASC for 2 days.

You can Fight with any ASC and stay with your vehicle. There are some exceptions like Honda 2 scooters, VW. These people dont allow to be with the vehicle.

When any ASC asks me to stay in lounge or away from my vehicle, then i request them. If it doesnt work, then i plead. Even if it doesnt work, then the ultimatum comes.

I Ask for a written letter stating that, the vehicle is in their posession on so and so date for xxx repairs & service. Any damages / problems reported after delivery would be taken care by ASC at free of cost. This has to be duly signed by the Manager/GM and then hand it over to me.
At the end i add saying, If you have guts to give such a letter, i would go home and sleep. If you cant give such letter, it shows your confidence in your service. So i cant hand my vehicle to you and wait OUT
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 22:08   #5382
BHPian

Vw should localise? Or not. That is a big debate. She can atleast localise the tyre valve caps? Or may be not. Till the time vw localises some parts we should enjoy a made in Italy tyre valve cap in India!

Name:  image2616743573.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  504.1 KB
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 20:14   #5383
BHPian

hello ventopians

does any one know how to remove the rear parcel tray in the vento? need this information to insulate the same to stop some squeaks
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 19:51   #5384
BHPian

Got the Vento Price List & Brochure From a Vento Stall in a local Market.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-ventoprice.jpeg
A few weird things that i found
- The HL models cannot be bought without the Reverse Camera
- While the brochure clearly states that the Metallic Colors are available only on the HL , the pricelist states that these colors are indeed available albeit, at a premium of Rs 10k over the non Metallic Colors
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 09:43   #5385
Senior - BHPian

So a minor dash got the right side rear (tail) light broken. Do note only the outer (red) glass is broken, the inner light assembly and bulbs are working fine.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vwvento08.jpg
Image from this thread only

Any pointers on whether I can arrange this from the outside market. Of course will be trying to procure the same from VW workshop, but according to a quotation taken by @mikon earlier, this set costs a bomb!
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote