Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 21:23   #5431
BHPian
 
svkndv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Five days back I got my blue Vento Highline TDI, Unfortunately took service of salesperson to get an IND number plate and ended up getting a look-like aluminium embossed plate. Sooner or later I will have to get rid of this, as aluminum embossed plate creating rattling sound while closing the boot.

Initial impression in comparison with SX4
1. Ride quality is better
2. Suspension is better
3. Overtaking is easier as pickup is better
4. Visibility, front and rear is inferior to SX4
5. Road presence is almost insignificant (Even truck used to give side to SX4 and Vento even autowalas ignore)
6. Apple-auto (outer ring road) delivery experience is average nowhere near to Pratham motors where I bought SX4.
7. A very complex trip meter, in fact i read through most of the thread here to understand Vento trip meter. If someone could give a step by step guide it would be very helpful
8. Steering of Vento is bit tighter than SX4
9. Stock head unit and speakers are almost similar in both cars
10.


Suggestions required from other experienced Vento owners on...,

1. Black floor mats provided by Vento is not covering all exposed carpet areas, it would definitely soil in rainy season. Is there any transparent/other floor mat that covers entire area is available in market?
2. Should I change the rattling number plate or provide some packing below the number plate to avoid rattling sound?
3. How to read trip meter? User manual and controls doesn't match, so finding difficult to understand.
4. Planning to sell Navigation unit as I already have a Garmin device with mapmyindia maps(Garmin maps for India I won't trust). Any suggestion for replacing head unit is welcome.
5. What is the advantage of 3M treatment and how much does it cost in Bangalore?
Attached Images
 
svkndv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 21:48   #5432
BHPian
 
newtonMeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 482
Thanked: 313 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Five days back I got my blue Vento Highline TDI, Unfortunately took service of salesperson to get an IND number plate and ended up getting a look-like aluminium embossed plate. Sooner or later I will have to get rid of this, as aluminum embossed plate creating rattling sound while closing the boot.

Initial impression in comparison with SX4
1. Ride quality is better
2. Suspension is better
3. Overtaking is easier as pickup is better
4. Visibility, front and rear is inferior to SX4
5. Road presence is almost insignificant (Even truck used to give side to SX4 and Vento even autowalas ignore)
6. Apple-auto (outer ring road) delivery experience is average nowhere near to Pratham motors where I bought SX4.
7. A very complex trip meter, in fact i read through most of the thread here to understand Vento trip meter. If someone could give a step by step guide it would be very helpful
8. Steering of Vento is bit tighter than SX4
9. Stock head unit and speakers are almost similar in both cars
10.


Suggestions required from other experienced Vento owners on...,

1. Black floor mats provided by Vento is not covering all exposed carpet areas, it would definitely soil in rainy season. Is there any transparent/other floor mat that covers entire area is available in market?
2. Should I change the rattling number plate or provide some packing below the number plate to avoid rattling sound?
3. How to read trip meter? User manual and controls doesn't match, so finding difficult to understand.
4. Planning to sell Navigation unit as I already have a Garmin device with mapmyindia maps(Garmin maps for India I won't trust). Any suggestion for replacing head unit is welcome.
5. What is the advantage of 3M treatment and how much does it cost in Bangalore?
hello, your story is similar to mine, i upgraded from a silver Zxi VVT sx4 to vento HL tdi shadow blue. You are bang on the points above. SX4 also enjoys a massive ground clearance and bump absorbing capability. But SX4 also suffers from a the Massive A pillar blind spot as well as poor low end torque.
for other points:

1. Black floor mats provided by Vento is not covering all exposed carpet areas, it would definitely soil in rainy season. Is there any transparent/other floor mat that covers entire area is available in market?
--Go for 3D mats which cover the floor end to end, 3D mats are quite costly though (3.5k) I have a cheaper 4D mats which is primarily a copy of 3D but is of similar material. i got them for 2k. (the only flip side is there is no velcro as 3D mat, but i doesn't matter as I wouldn't dare remove the laminated covering which is factory fitted)
2. Should I change the rattling number plate or provide some packing below the number plate to avoid rattling sound?
--simple solution is to use a double sided 3M tape on the borders of the plates (i use a number plate frame) with zero rattle.
3. How to read trip meter? User manual and controls doesn't match, so finding difficult to understand.
--its pretty simple to understand, just use the toggled on the right stalk. the most used function is obviously the average kmpl (mileage). There are 2 versions, 1. trip mileage and 2. 2000km mileage. {suggest you explore earlier posts} I could post a detailed guide if you want.
4. Planning to sell Navigation unit as I already have a Garmin device with mapmyindia maps(Garmin maps for India I won't trust). Any suggestion for replacing head unit is welcome.
-- I wouldn't suggest replacing the head unit as you will loose - steering control, park distance control display, GALA - speed sensitive volume. If you still want to upgrade, suggest go for VW RCD 510 (ebay could be a source). You could upgrade the speakers (infinity or Blaupankt comps in the front + sub woofer) Damping is minimal in european cars.
5. What is the advantage of 3M treatment and how much does it cost in Bangalore?
-- 3M treatment is a eyewash (if you are referring to teflon) the underbody treatment is not valid for VW as they are pre treated (first hand information as my wife works in 3M, 3M doesn't cover VW for retail underbody treatment as they are OEM partners). if you want to take care of your blue, i suggest you get the annual package from Ultimate Detailerz (search on Facebook/team-bhp) they are the best in business and best part is they are exclusive in Bangalore

SUGGESTED upgrades
1. Please upgrade your headlamps bulbs (stock are too weak). search for el lobo's thread for complete upgrade. (you can choose to go 90/100 which will give you white light but would need wire cutting and relay install OR you can upgrade just the bulbs with a better phillips option which gives you 100% more light with natural yellow.) you can also upgrade the fogs.
2. what tyres did you get, if JK, you can trade them right away at madhu's in bangalore with yoko A drives or Accelares

Last edited by newtonMeter : 1st December 2012 at 21:54.
newtonMeter is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 23:52   #5433
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Five days back I got my blue Vento Highline TDI
Congrats on the blue and may you have many more safe miles on the car. Seems Shadow Blue is the favorite among bhpians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
1. Black floor mats provided by Vento is not covering all exposed carpet areas, it would definitely soil in rainy season. Is there any transparent/other floor mat that covers entire area is available in market?
Get the Kagu 3D mats. They cover the complete foot area and prevent anything from spilling on the beige mat too. Expensive at 4.5K, but one time investment goes a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
2. Should I change the rattling number plate or provide some packing below the number plate to avoid rattling sound?
Same suggestion as @newtonMeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
4. Planning to sell Navigation unit as I already have a Garmin device with mapmyindia maps(Garmin maps for India I won't trust). Any suggestion for replacing head unit is welcome.
Dont, as elaborated by @newtonMeter, don't sell it. Lots of convenience features are dependent onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
5. What is the advantage of 3M treatment and how much does it cost in Bangalore?
None, unless you are planning to get something done directly from 3M Car Care.

For change of headlights. Refer to the below post of mine. Have a good broadband connection, quite photo intensive post.

Link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
you can choose to go 90/100 which will give you white light but would need wire cutting and relay install
100/90 with relay don't require any wire cutting, simple plug & play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
2. what tyres did you get, if JK, you can trade them right away at madhu's in bangalore with yoko A drives or Accelares
JK's are pretty good tires and my Vento TDi HL came shod with them. Absolutely pushed to the limits, no problems till now. JK's are made in technical collabaration with Continental, Germany.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 14:28   #5434
BHPian
 
svkndv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 9 Times
Wink Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Thank you el lobo 6061 and newtonMeter for valuable suggestions. I have used 3m tape and rattling sound from number plate is gone.

Based on your suggestion decided not to go for any 3M treatment.

Next step will be buying a 3D floor mat and later changing headlight bulbs.

I am not finding any issue with showroom fitted JK tire so as of now no plan to change it.

Can someone suggest me a shop where I can get 3D floor mat as well as headlight bulbs near white field/ marthahalli/ Bellandur in Bangalore. Visited a shop near Sarjapur road but they do not have 3d floor mat.
svkndv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:14   #5435
BHPian
 
newtonMeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 482
Thanked: 313 Times
Default

Contact UD! They deliver you any where in Bangalore
newtonMeter is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:08   #5436
BHPian
 
svkndv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter
Contact UD! They deliver you any where in Bangalore
UD? Is it a shop name or something ? Do they have some online ordering option?
svkndv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:30   #5437
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 402 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
UD? Is it a shop name or something ? Do they have some online ordering option?
Ultimate Detailerz. search for them on facebook or google for them

I bought the 3D mats for my vento from Torque in Indiranagar. When I bought my car UD did not have mats in stock. So I got it from Torque. I think it is located on 12th main in Indiranagar. They also can do the headlights upgrade job (I got NBPs from there). The owner of that place owns a Vento himself and recommended me the same setup as el lobos (100W Philips crystal visions). You can explore the options there. Its a good accessories shop.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:45   #5438
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
8. Steering of Vento is bit tighter than SX4
First up, many congratulations on your new ride. Wish you lots of happy miles .

As for the steering feeling on the Vento compared to the SX4, I think its a lot tighter. I had recently tested the SX4 automatic and came out scared. I found the steering extremely light so much so that the slightest touch makes it go helter skelter. Also I hardly got any feedback and simply felt a lot of discomfort driving it after having driven the Vento for so long. Just my opinion on how I felt about the SX4. I guess the diesel SX4 might behave better because of the heavier engine.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 18:46   #5439
BHPian
 
svkndv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Another question regarding map.

I have registered the Device through Garmin communicator browser plugin. Communicator did a small software update I am sure nothing major to add latest features,

Garmin Device model - nuvi 2565LM, GPS, India, VW, GRVC10

Unit software - 6.0
Map Version - 2012.20

Even though control panel / Dashboard says software and map for the device is up-to-date, It is not true.

Latest software version available for nuvi 2565 is 6.80 and map version is 2012.30.

But I am a bit apprehensive to update this fearing it may disable camera view. If anyone updated the map and software let me know.

-----Edit--------------

I am able to unlock and download 2012.30 map, still not decided on Navigator software upgrade

Last edited by svkndv : 3rd December 2012 at 19:13.
svkndv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 10:23   #5440
BHPian
 
surd_biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 116
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Dont, as elaborated by @newtonMeter, don't sell it. Lots of convenience features are dependent onto it.
Correction: The Garmin unit is in no way integrated with RCD 310 head unit or the steering mounted controls. It has its own speaker and the bluetooth is also not integrated with head unit or steering controls.In other words it's just an add on aftermarket device (except for the volkswagen lettering on the unit and some service center / dealer locations menu built in into the unit). The only thing it is dependent on is the reverse camera which wont work if you have no garmin.


Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
But I am a bit apprehensive to update this fearing it may disable camera view. If anyone updated the map and software let me know.

-----Edit--------------

I am able to unlock and download 2012.30 map, still not decided on Navigator software upgrade
Go ahead. I have done the same (2012.30) and it wont effect on the reverse camera. It works flawlessly.
surd_biker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 11:42   #5441
BHPian
 
svkndv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker

Go ahead. I have done the same (2012.30) and it wont effect on the reverse camera. It works flawlessly.
I have updated the map to 2012.30, it is working fine.
Have you updated device software to 6.8? Not sure whether software upgrade affect reverse camera view.
svkndv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2012, 14:00   #5442
BHPian
 
surd_biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 116
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Have you updated device software to 6.8? Not sure whether software upgrade affect reverse camera view.
Nope I just upgraded the maps. Would try it out later. It shouldn't mess with the reverse camera.
surd_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 09:54   #5443
BHPian
 
surd_biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 116
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
I have updated the map to 2012.30, it is working fine.
Have you updated device software to 6.8? Not sure whether software upgrade affect reverse camera view.
Upgraded the device software to 6.8 yesterday evening.
And yes, it has no effect on the reverse camera. Works fine.

So just go ahead, but remember to backup your GPX folder coz any settings you have done will be wiped off (just like you do a firmware update on a mobile). My EcoRoute also got wiped off. Unfortunately I could get any way to backup this. Have to do some R&D on this.
After updating just copy back the files in gpx folder.
surd_biker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 11:33   #5444
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 163
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Did a TD of Vento TDI few days back. Engine seemed to be smoother to start and move around within 30-40 kmph. More than that Diesel starts sounding more. The clutch was a bit hard and I particularly felt a bit difficult in shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. Not sure whether it was a problem with the test vehicle. Wife felt the seats were a bit hard, though the ride quality was good considering the fact that the TD was done on a rough road with a lot of potholes.

I felt, for almost 12L OTR Chennai, the kit I get in the Vento is very less. Even the navigation cum bluetooth add on to the highline is a separate Garmin unit and does not come integrated with the ICE. Due to this the phone call button on steering is just a dummy. Felt that the plastic was hard though interior looks good though not excellent. To me it looked more like a 7L car than a 12L one. The sales person said that what we pay for is only for the engine, transmission, suspension and build quality.

Before the TD I was almost sure that I'll go to a Volkswagen showroom and just order a Vento. But the TD left me thinking once again. Vento or Sunny or even City.

When will Indians get value for their money?
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 11:52   #5445
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Before the TD I was almost sure that I'll go to a Volkswagen showroom and just order a Vento. But the TD left me thinking once again. Vento or Sunny or even City.

When will Indians get value for their money?
Why not give the Verna a try then? I heard they've tweaked the suspension a bit, and it's a VFM car at the price range considering the equipment list that comes with it.

In the end, the car is something both your wife and you enjoy driving in, and if the Vento doesn't fit the bill and the Verna or any of the cars do, go ahead by all means.
KnightRider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks