Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 22:25   #5806
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,157
Thanked: 5,032 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
It has 1500Km on the ODO...
The grey Vento looks better than I thought. Looks very mature in this color, very subtle!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 19:06   #5807
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 163
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Did a short back-to-back test drive of the Vento petrol and diesel.

Going by the huge fan-fare for the diesel, I was under the impression that it will blow my mind off. To be frank, my expectations were not met, just because it was no where comfortable when the car jerks every time while taking the foot off the clutch. It was difficult to release the clutch without any jerking, except in higher gears. Then, the engine vibrations transferred on to the clutch was such that someone was hitting with a hammer under my left foot. Sorry to disappointing any fan-fare, but the car felt untamed. This upsets me especially when I pay a million rupee. The raw power could help the guys who do highways day and night, but I felt the harshness could kill the joy. This is where the Verna outscores down-hand; on the NVH levels. Of course, the high speed handling of the Verna is topic for another discussion.
Even I had my reservations after doing my first TD. Later I asked another dealer to provide a test drive who happily did and this car felt a lot better, though the clutch was a bit hard (which could be attributed to diesel cars). Overall the drive felt much good. Having said that I did a TD of Sunny and it felt very smooth and I didn't feel that its a diesel. That again made me to think about the Vento. Did one more TD of the Vento to get convinced that despite the clutch being hard, yet it is certainly better than Sunny as a overall package. I do get to feel the jerks in 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. But by careful pedal use this is minimized. But your comment on the hammering, I never felt it. There is certainly a little vibration, but its not at all hammering. BTW, why do you want to ride a clutch at high speeds? The car is certainly a beast, but not that cannot be tamed. Probably you get it by practice. Having said that, I am yet to find a comfortable seating posture in my Vento after driving a Zen for 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I do agree with Thoma’s feedback on the clutch. Infact that’s the only point which I did not like about the Vento TDI. In my case, the Vento test-drive was right after doing a TD of the Fiesta diesel (15 mins apart, same route covering around 10 kms). Of the two, overall as a package I really liked the Vento, except for the clutch behavior. It was quite odd, especially in city speeds. The TD car was a brand new Shadow Blue Highline.

On the NVH levels, I did not find any issue at all. The car sounded awful from outside, but an entirely different story inside – very well insulated and absolutely peaceful.
NVH is barely an issue inside the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Maybe, but the sales executive admitted the diesel having vibrations on the clutch and I don't think I'll travel another 75 kms for TD-ing another car. Moreover, the vehicle didn't feel lacking on maintenance.



This could end up in buying.
Even the first car I TD-ed looked new. But the second car I TD-ed from another dealer told me a different story. Hence I would suggest TD-ing another one from a different dealer.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 19:12   #5808
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,327
Thanked: 558 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

After my second service, I noticed some body shakes in the forward and backward directions. Took the car to Palace Cross, Rajajinagar and told the same. They took 2 days and had sent the car to Hesarghatta cross. The SA said they updated the software and it should vanish. I was skeptical since it was not just ordinary vibrations. Sometimes you cant argue with these guys and drove off. Asked about engine mounts etc and he said no problem with the mounts.

I still these minor shakes in the car when I stop at signals. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Last edited by srishiva : 27th February 2013 at 19:13.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 22:17   #5809
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Started encountering a weird problem today. Till last night the power outlet on the car was working fine but suddenly this morning it stopped working. This happens when I had to do a sudden road trip of around 350 kms today. Given I was using a completely new route and the famed MMI GPS with its weak battery I had a harrowing time switching between the GPS and the phone to make sure I was using the correct route. I don't know what happened but this socket has simply stopped responding. I tried all permutations and combinations with many devices and phones but to no avail. Has anybody encountered this problem before? I guess there might be some loose contact somewhere and this needs a service center visit :(.

The other gremlin I encountered was all of a sudden the left rear window stopped opening (it was closed). The buttons both on the left rear door and the one on the driver side simply had no effect on the window. However at the end of the trip I used the remote to open all the windows and all 4 worked including the left rear one. From here on the left rear one continued to work. I found this really spooky. I guess the ECU needs to be checked for whatever poltergeist was responsible for this.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 22:32   #5810
BHPian
 
newtonMeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 482
Thanked: 313 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Started encountering a weird problem today. Till last night the power outlet on the car was working fine but suddenly this morning it stopped working. This happens when I had to do a sudden road trip of around 350 kms today. Given I was using a completely new route and the famed MMI GPS with its weak battery I had a harrowing time switching between the GPS and the phone to make sure I was using the correct route. I don't know what happened but this socket has simply stopped responding. I tried all permutations and combinations with many devices and phones but to no avail. Has anybody encountered this problem before? I guess there might be some loose contact somewhere and this needs a service center visit :(.

The other gremlin I encountered was all of a sudden the left rear window stopped opening (it was closed). The buttons both on the left rear door and the one on the driver side simply had no effect on the window. However at the end of the trip I used the remote to open all the windows and all 4 worked including the left rear one. From here on the left rear one continued to work. I found this really spooky. I guess the ECU needs to be checked for whatever poltergeist was responsible for this.
For the power outlet- it's most probably the fuse which is blown. You can check manual to find the right fuse and replace. The fuse box is just below the steering column. The window behaviour is wired but just try them once you have replaced the fuse for power outlet

For the window make sure the window roll lock is not activated.

Last edited by newtonMeter : 27th February 2013 at 22:34.
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 22:54   #5811
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 117
Thanked: 32 Times
Cool Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi Friends,

Upgraded to HID's with projector and a new music system last weekend. As suggested by all of you, I did wait anxiously for more than 2 years and 44k ODO to go for any after market installation.

Projector specs - 3.0" clear glass lens, adapted Morimoto v5
Company - Genome Gold series(manufactured in Pune)

HID bulbs(Bi-Xenon) - 6000k, 35W digital AC ballasts, RHS cut-off, blue-white angel eyes

No wire cutting done as projector was installed with its own set of wires, inverter, ballast and was connected seamlessly to the older wiring connector. Fog lights are the same stock ones to be used only in case of rain/fog conditions where 6000k bluish white lights isnt enough. Nght driving is so much fun now with the new refreshed view.

Music system with all attachment supports(touch screen) also deployed with USB, SD card, IPod, VCD, DVD, Bluetooth, Radio, Storage capability for 5 audio/vidoe CD, Reverse camera support, GPS navigation,PIP(Picture In Picture)......... Best feature is I can now play movies and recorded videos on the screen. This is the imported one as stated by my dealer.

Attaching few photos....

Regards,
Nikesh
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-dsc00750.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-dsc00758.jpg  

Attached Images
      
nikesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 00:05   #5812
BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 764
Thanked: 398 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
Hi Friends,

Upgraded to HID's with projector and a new music system last weekend.
This is the imported one as stated by my dealer.
Great job on the headlights, Vento look much mean !!

About the new music system, great to have more features. I don't mean to sound rude, but going by the interface visible in your pic, it is probably just imported from China! But as long as it keeps working , who cares?

Also share the costs of these addition.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 10:19   #5813
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 117
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Great job on the headlights, Vento look much mean !!

About the new music system, great to have more features. I don't mean to sound rude, but going by the interface visible in your pic, it is probably just imported from China! But as long as it keeps working , who cares?

Also share the costs of these addition.
I paid 18k for the projector set-up complete with installation. I was able to get a better deal here as this was through one of my close friend . The same projector 3.0 inch with 6000k HID is being sold above 25k in city.

I paid 30k for the music system.
nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 18:42   #5814
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
For the window make sure the window roll lock is not activated.
I am pretty sure this wasn't the case as I checked for this separately. It just beats me now as everything seems to be working fine now. Will get it checked separately during the next service center visit. At times I do feel that perhaps the contacts are not working well for the one touch up and down for the windows. I have to hold those buttons a tad bit longer sometimes than I used to do before. The responsiveness of the buttons for the one touch up and down feature seems to have become suspect. Anyway will get it checked later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
For the power outlet- it's most probably the fuse which is blown. You can check manual to find the right fuse and replace. The fuse box is just below the steering column. The window behaviour is wired but just try them once you have replaced the fuse for power outlet
Yeah spot on. As I had also suspected it was the fuse which blew. Its a 15A fuse which needed to be replaced for a total price of Rs 250 (part and labor). Now I have a basic question. How many devices can we connect through the power socket in parallel? I mean I have a power port adapter which gives me 4 ports because when I am on the road sometimes I am recording my drives, along with the GPS running and also charging the phone. I am just wondering if attaching upto 4 power connections could overload the connection. I checked the current ratings on each of the power adapters for these devices and they hardly exceed 5V DC 1.5A.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 28th February 2013 at 18:44.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 15:13   #5815
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 65
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
It has 1500Km on the ODO...
Compared to blue, how difficult is the pepper grey to maintain ? I am in a dilemma over grey or blue, considering I park my car on the road. Which is the more suitable color ?

Quick replies would be beneficial, as I would be getting the PO ready by tomorrow.
mikilbhatkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 15:58   #5816
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,712
Thanked: 1,411 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
Quick replies would be beneficial, as I would be getting the PO ready by tomorrow.
Shadow blue would be the tough one to maintain, have a friend who owns a pepper grey polo and he isnt much into polish and stuff but still even after an year, his Polo is in a good shape.

Blue looks the best but it needs some good maintenance, swirls will show up easily, any scratch would look bad and within a few hours of cleaning dust would show up.

If you can do waxing and polishing sessions regularly then only opt for blue, no use buying such a beautiful color if its not maintained.
coolboy007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 16:57   #5817
BHPian
 
TopSpeeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 270
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
Compared to blue, how difficult is the pepper grey to maintain ? I am in a dilemma over grey or blue, considering I park my car on the road. Which is the more suitable color ?
I guess blue is not suitable for road side parking. I have covered parking, but after my car wash I could easily spot dust in mins.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 1st March 2013 at 16:59.
TopSpeeder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 23:57   #5818
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
Compared to blue, how difficult is the pepper grey to maintain ? I am in a dilemma over grey or blue, considering I park my car on the road. Which is the more suitable color ?

Quick replies would be beneficial, as I would be getting the PO ready by tomorrow.
Any dark colored car will be difficult to maintain compared to other light colors. Be it Pepper Grey, Shadow Blue or even Pearl Black, you would be having a tough time maintaining it. Since you are going to park it by the road side, I would suggest pick Candy White. Safest bet, easy to clean and hides swirls & scratches to a very high extent.

Lastly, I have a Pearl Black Vento maintained in top notch condition and I get receive a lot of praises & stares who so ever see's it. 2yrs are on the horizon next month and no one can tell its age, still looks just out of showroom.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 00:17   #5819
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 732
Thanked: 352 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikilbhatkar View Post
Compared to blue, how difficult is the pepper grey to maintain ? I am in a dilemma over grey or blue, considering I park my car on the road. Which is the more suitable color ?

Quick replies would be beneficial, as I would be getting the PO ready by tomorrow.
I park my shadow blue Vento on the road and manage to keep it quite ok. Both blue and grey would be equally difficult to maintain. But not impossible! It depends on how paranoid you are about keeping the car dust-free.

Last edited by nileshch : 2nd March 2013 at 00:21.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:48   #5820
BHPian
 
newtonMeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 482
Thanked: 313 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Any dark colored car will be difficult to maintain compared to other light colors. Be it Pepper Grey, Shadow Blue or even Pearl Black, you would be having a tough time maintaining it. Since you are going to park it by the road side, I would suggest pick Candy White. Safest bet, easy to clean and hides swirls & scratches to a very high extent.

Lastly, I have a Pearl Black Vento maintained in top notch condition and I get receive a lot of praises & stares who so ever see's it. 2yrs are on the horizon next month and no one can tell its age, still looks just out of showroom.
Agree with el lobo! Blue is the most difficult color to maintain, Infact the swirls show up much easier on blue than black. Black gets an additional clear coat for pearl effect. I think the order would be white silver grey black blue for maintainence!
The order in which vento looks the best when maintained and polished : black blue white silver.

Being said that, if u will not spend much time maintaining: go for white/silver.

White looks more distinct now with the black headlamps
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:21.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks