Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 10th June 2013, 17:19   #6226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
Anyone tried other than Castrol engine oil in Vento . My Vento is due for Second service, planning to change the oil from castrol to Mobile1. Can anyone tell me which Mobil1 oil I need to buy. I beleive VW recommends VW 507 00 specifications for Vento do we have any other better brands with this specifications.
Current engine oil Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-40 is a 100% synthetic oil which is more than enough. Doesn't make sense to go fetch Mobil1 and argue with VW to put in your car. They will refuse it.

Fellow bhpian @Souravc had used Mobil1 in his Vento TDi and there weren't any significant advantages of it. He is now back to stock Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-40, IIRC.

Just my 2p.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 17:39   #6227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Miraculously by the time I went there, the average had returned to normal! So the only issue was the bulb not working.
I think it was the ECU getting used to your driving style . Maybe the battery was disconnected during the servicing which reset the ECU to default values which gave you low fuel efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
Hello Vento Owners,

Anyone tried other than Castrol engine oil in Vento . My Vento is due for Second service, planning to change the oil from castrol to Mobile1. Can anyone tell me which Mobil1 oil I need to buy. I beleive VW recommends VW 507 00 specifications for Vento do we have any other better brands with this specifications.

Thanks in Advance,
rashv
As mentioned by el lobo , I used Mobil1 5W-50 . I would have loved to use it since Mobil 1 is far superior to the Castrol Magnatec Professional that VW uses for Vento which is a semi synthetic . However VW workshops do not allow Mobil1 and if you do not change the oil during servicing , the VAS update would have mention of it which may affect warranty. Thus during servicing I am forced to allow the VW workshop to use Castrol Magnatec but after 5000-6000 km instead of topping up the oil I drain it out completely and use Mobil1 instead .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 22:42   #6228
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sourav, long time and no updates on your thread. How much have you clocked on the ODO, any niggles and how are CPC2 doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Castrol Magnatec Professional that VW uses for Vento which is a semi synthetic.
Its actually 100% synthetic. That's why the high cost.

Quote:
Thus during servicing I am forced to allow the VW workshop to use Castrol Magnatec but after 5000-6000 km instead of topping up the oil I drain it out completely and use Mobil1 instead .

So you put in 4.3 Lts of Castrol for Rs. ~4,500 at service and after clocking 6000 kms you change over to Mobil1 which would again mean close to Rs. ~4,500. That's one expensive diet you have your TDi on.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 10:03   #6229
BHPian

Default Cleaning Air Filter of Vento

I feel my 2011 Vento HL TDI is not accelerating as it used to do. Basically the turbo 'rush' comes late and when it does, feels subdued. As I live in a very dusty part of Bangalore (lots of general construction all around), I am suspecting that this is an issue of a partially clogged air filter. I'm ruling out any serious malfunctions as the car is not showing any warning lights/indications.

I would have loved to drop the car off at the service center, but they are usually booked choc a block and in my experience unnecessary visits to the service center cause more problems than they solve. And so, I've decided to see if I can clean air filter manually.

However, being a newbie at such things just wanted to take an opinion here:

1. Is this a feasible DIY item to do
2. If it is, are there any reliable step by step process/instruction set that I can follow.
3. Is there any detrimental effect on the warranty/extended warranty if i do this

Any help will be much appreciated.
Merril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 17:22   #6230
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Cleaning Air Filter of Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Hi Sourav, long time and no updates on your thread. How much have you clocked on the ODO, any niggles and how are CPC2 doing?
Done nearly 45,000 kms , the run rate has slowed down of late since I was away for nearly a month . CPC2 is doing great, anything blessed by Guru Mikon cannot go wrong No niggles that I can think of apart from squeaking doors which is an old problem

Quote:
Its actually 100% synthetic. That's why the high cost.
I stand corrected . However one can get Magnatec 5W-50 (without professional which is reserved for OEMs only) in retail shops at INR 800/lt

Quote:
So you put in 4.3 Lts of Castrol for Rs. ~4,500 at service and after clocking 6000 kms you change over to Mobil1 which would again mean close to Rs. ~4,500. That's one expensive diet you have your TDi on.
In fact if you look at it , the numbers don't work out so expensive . Mobil1 retails at INR 1000-1100 / lts which is around INR 5,000 while topping up requires around 3-3.5 ltrs which is around INR4,000. I don't mind spending the extra grand every 15,000 km since the car is not going anywhere for 2 years more at least as I have got the extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
I feel my 2011 Vento HL TDI is not accelerating as it used to do. Basically the turbo 'rush' comes late and when it does, feels subdued. As I live in a very dusty part of Bangalore (lots of general construction all around), I am suspecting that this is an issue of a partially clogged air filter. I'm ruling out any serious malfunctions as the car is not showing any warning lights/indications.
The last thing that you should do in VW cars is try out DIY solution - if the turbo goes kaput then you would be down upwards of 50 grand. Apart from filter clog issue, there maybe problem of fuel quality (dust , water , etc ) so its better that you should immediately book your appointment at the workshop.
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 15:13   #6231
BHPian

Quote:
The last thing that you should do in VW cars is try out DIY solution - if the turbo goes kaput then you would be down upwards of 50 grand. Apart from filter clog issue, there maybe problem of fuel quality (dust , water , etc ) so its better that you should immediately book your appointment at the workshop.
Thanks Sourav, makes sense. However, since its only a 'feeling' that the pickup is less, I am inclined to let it be until there is a specific issue or at least a warning light. Right now the car is driving fine - just that I feel it is slightly sluggish. As you said this could even be because of bad fuel. I suppose I will wait and see if the 'perceived' problem either vanishes on its own or escalates.
Old 12th June 2013, 15:33   #6232
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Thanks Sourav, makes sense. However, since its only a 'feeling' that the pickup is less, I am inclined to let it be until there is a specific issue or at least a warning light. Right now the car is driving fine - just that I feel it is slightly sluggish. As you said this could even be because of bad fuel. I suppose I will wait and see if the 'perceived' problem either vanishes on its own or escalates.
Has anyone tried to measure the boost using torque app or something with OBD sensor? That could help if the boost is fine.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 19:12   #6233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

Has anyone tried to measure the boost using torque app or something with OBD sensor? That could help if the boost is fine.
Nope, how difficult is this to do? I wonder if anyone in Bangalore has either the torque app (and I suppose the associated wiring) or an OBD that I could use?
Old 12th June 2013, 20:17   #6234
BHPian

Quote:
Check the Turbo Hose. I had it replaced under warranty. I had a drop in the pickup and turbo was not kicking in correctly. Ask the service guy to check it. The part is not very costly.
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 07:03   #6235
Senior - BHPian

Dirty air filter - for sure. How long on the current filter? If you are interested in DIY let me know, Ill share the maintenance manual with you which will give you pictorial representation of how to do this, file is around 13 MB, so I couldn't attach it here. Few other team members here will also have this document with them, a very handy reference for every vento/polo owner.

Quote:
Right now the car is driving fine - just that I feel it is slightly sluggish. As you said this could even be because of bad fuel. I suppose I will wait and see if the 'perceived' problem either vanishes on its own or escalates.
The figures should be available on the internet for the 1.6 TDI engine on the VW forums. Too lazy to search for it now, will share the info if I get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The glow plug warning light will be ON if this is the case. Atleast that's what VW says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Check the Turbo Hose. I had it replaced under warranty. I had a drop in the pickup and turbo was not kicking in correctly. Ask the service guy to check it. The part is not very costly.

Last edited by bala80 : 13th June 2013 at 07:05.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 17:23   #6236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Thanks Polopm for your reply. I had the Turbo Hose replaced under warranty as well during the first service. I'll be mighty disappointed if this is an issue again. Will check this with the service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Dirty air filter - for sure. How long on the current filter? If you are interested in DIY let me know, Ill share the maintenance manual with you which will give you pictorial representation of how to do this, file is around 13 MB, so I couldn't attach it here. Few other team members here will also have this document with them, a very handy reference for every vento/polo owner.
Bala80, will much appreciate it if you could send me the maintenance manual. Have pm'ed you my email id. Thanks a lot!
Old 14th June 2013, 18:30   #6237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Hello, can you please send the manual to me as well. Messaged you my email id.

Thanks
torque18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 04:48   #6238
Senior - BHPian

I sent the manual to everyone who messaged me. If you need it, just send me your email ID and I shall send it over to you.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 14:29   #6239

Mine is a VW Vento May 2013 model and I've been driving it for about two weeks now. I sense (when my foot is on the pedal) a vibration on the clutch pedal not only while changing the gears but especially in situations when one drives half-clutch.

Does anyone else here notice something similar in their car or is it just me ? Is it normal behaviour (I doubt it since I don't remember experiencing anything like this in my earlier car) or Should I get it checked by the VW SA ?

If this is a separate thread that talks about anything similar, appreciate if you can point it out.

Thanks in advance.
girish4731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 19:25   #6240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish4731 View Post
Mine is a VW Vento May 2013 model and I've been driving it for about two weeks now. I sense (when my foot is on the pedal) a vibration on the clutch pedal not only while changing the gears but especially in situations when one drives half-clutch.

Does anyone else here notice something similar in their car or is it just me ? Is it normal behaviour (I doubt it since I don't remember experiencing anything like this in my earlier car) or Should I get it checked by the VW SA ?

If this is a separate thread that talks about anything similar, appreciate if you can point it out.

Thanks in advance.
This is normal for a Vento/Rapid. It is also mentioned in this review.
Crank is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote