Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 14:39   #6271
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,575
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarsh10 View Post
Dear All

I own a VW Vento Diesel Highline and needed a bit of help. It has been raining cats and dogs in Bangalore the past couple of days. The basement of my building has been flooded, and that's where I usually park.

Once the basement got flooded, I took out my car from the basement, but in the process of taking it out, I had to drive through a very small area - just about 150-200 centimeters in length; that had a lot of water. For a few seconds, almost half of the bumper had got submerged in water.

After the car was out, I could feel the water in between the brake pads - causing loss of braking, but that was sorted out with a short drive with some hard braking.

No water has got inside the car - but I noticed a few droplets near the fan in the engine compartment - only a few droplets.

On driving, the car seems fine. Is there anything I should worry about ? I would like to reiterate that the entire process lasted for a few seconds only - not even a full minute.

Thanks in advance.
If you hadnt stalled the car, then all should be ok. Never stall the car if there's water above the tail pipe.


VW is back with the 0% interest loan. Really tempting to swap my car and get this.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 17:22   #6272
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 86
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
VW is back with the 0% interest loan. Really tempting to swap my car and get this.
Could you give me more details of the offer ? What is the minimum required upfront payment and the tenure ?

I wanted to go for the Rapid but the prestige offer in elegant trim is not available anymore (only free insurance for elegance..no other discounts) and hence looking at Vento as a probable option.
Aceman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 20:46   #6273
BHPian
 
click's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post

Could you give me more details of the offer ? What is the minimum required upfront payment and the tenure ?

I wanted to go for the Rapid but the prestige offer in elegant trim is not available anymore (only free insurance for elegance..no other discounts) and hence looking at Vento as a probable option.
0% Finance option of available only on trendline and comfortline. They are clearing the stocks.
click is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 10:36   #6274
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 78
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Does the 2013 model 320 unit shows reverse parking display?

Btw does Vento HL comes with parking sensors?
My RCD 310 unit (December 2011 Vento) does show a visual graphic outlay of the car and how far is the object from the rear of the car. This is shown in the dashboard unit itself.

The RCD 320 unit does not have the above?
IndianGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 10:37   #6275
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGuardian View Post
My RCD 310 unit (December 2011 Vento) does show a visual graphic outlay of the car and how far is the object from the rear of the car. This is shown in the dashboard unit itself.

The RCD 320 unit does not have the above?
This doesn't show in RCD 320 unit
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 12:00   #6276
BHPian
 
click's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

With the rear window of vento having limited view, a reverse assist becomes necessary. Since they have sacrificed the visual aid in RCD 320, ask them about attaching reverse camera with visual aid in the rear view mirror like the verna.
It costs between 6-8K.
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 12:10   #6277
BHPian
 
evilshantanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
With the rear window of vento having limited view, a reverse assist becomes necessary. Since they have sacrificed the visual aid in RCD 320, ask them about attaching reverse camera with visual aid in the rear view mirror like the verna.
It costs between 6-8K.
Driven the Vento 61,000 KM as of today, I didnt find the need of parking assistant ever in the Vento.... maybe I am used to the old school parking methods
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2013, 23:49   #6278
BHPian
 
ahmad.007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 216
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Well, I am planning to buy a Vento TDI, because we don't have a highway cruiser as of now (own a beat tcdi LT O, and its ancestor Matiz), can a generous Vento owner help me out here and get me some info about the car?
I need to know at what rpm does the Vento do a 100 /120 in top gear?
ahmad.007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 10:50   #6279
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 163
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Well,
I need to know at what rpm does the Vento do a 100 /120 in top gear?
Vento tdi clocks 100 kmph @ 2100 rpm in 5th gear.
Crank is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 22:37   #6280
BHPian
 
Blackbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 29
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Hi Guys,

After silently taking in all the information from this forum, right from getting acquainted with the cars quirks to updating the cars headlights, tyres and getting help on AC vent smell, I thought it’s time to give fellow team-bhpians some fodder!😆

I got my car tuned by Tune-O-Tronics sometime back and after driving for around 1000kms with the tuned car I finally have fallen in love with the Blackbolt! The car now pumps 132-134 bhp, and 320-330 nm of torque! Haven’t done a 0- 100 time but it is definitely an under 10 second car!

The engine now revs very smoothly almost like a petrol, the build up of revs is the most distinguishable factor after the mod! The guys at Tune-O-Tronics are very professional. Tejas and Sid worked on my car and they have done a brilliant job. I remember telling Sid that I do not have the time to go to service if the car breaks downs and I want a very reliable mod, you guys come work on the car and that’s it! He assured me about the reliability factor and said that we will keep on monitoring the cars performance by calling in and yes they have lived up to their word!

The brakes of the car have been bad since beginning, now after the added power I desperately need to upgrade them! Waiting for Tejas to change his aggressive modded Skoda rapid first. Also Blackbolt turns 1 in couple of months, planning to paint the mags in black to give it all black look. Any suggestions where and at what cost can I get a good job done for this in Mumbai?

Cheers!

Blackbolt!
Blackbolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 22:51   #6281
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 22
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
This doesn't show in RCD 320 unit
If i am not mistaken, upgrade to RCD 320 happened for 2013 models. Finally they added the most needed USB / SD Card / Aux and removed another most needed item parking display
nick.cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 13:52   #6282
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
I thought it’s time to give fellow team-bhpians some fodder!
Brilliant , yours will be the first modded Vento on the forum BUT where is your thread ! Now don't be lazy else, Blackbolt's claim to fame is null and void

Btw, on the paint job .. You can try out this garage at Fort , just behind Fort house ( Old Handloom house). I have seen them overhauling and doing paint jobs on Mercs, Beemers, Audis & VWs and they do a good job of it . Its not a specialised paint shop but a workshop which does painting too.

Last edited by souravc : 30th June 2013 at 13:55. Reason: added paint job details
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 09:38   #6283
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Does the vento have mobile phone connectivity?

Looking to replace my punto 1.3 MJD that has clocked 77K in 3 years. How is the high speed handling say 140-160 kph and does it take bad roads, non existent roads? Any underbody protection?

How is the effect if we drop the left side of the car on the highways off the road?

Answers appreciated in helping me take a easy decision

And how BAD is service when compared to FIAT
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:02   #6284
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,712
Thanked: 1,411 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Answers appreciated in helping me take a easy decision
And how BAD is service when compared to FIAT
I own a Linea and Vento both so i hope i can clear your doubts regarding it. Vento is pretty stable on the highways, dont expect Punto like handling but only Vento in c segment comes close to it, if you can get accustomed to the light eps you shouldnt have a problem, the steering is otherwise direct and well calibrated.

The new Vento comes with bluetooth connectivity, i upsized my tyres to 195/60 R 15 and now my ground clearance is at a good 176mm (original being 168), its been a year and 12000kms and i have never scraped the underbody, clearance is very good for a sedan.

Just take care of the low front bumper, there is a small protection plate for engine but not a full one like Punto. The service centres are way better than Fiat but the cost of spares is a little on the higher side.

Its the 1.6 Tdi which is the party trick, drive it and you wont believe its 105 ps, excellent tuning by vw engineers.
coolboy007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:31   #6285
BHPian
 
evilshantanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Hi Guys,

After silently taking in all the information from this forum, right from getting acquainted with the cars quirks to updating the cars headlights, tyres and getting help on AC vent smell, I thought it’s time to give fellow team-bhpians some fodder!😆

I got my car tuned by Tune-O-Tronics sometime back and after driving for around 1000kms with the tuned car I finally have fallen in love with the Blackbolt! The car now pumps 132-134 bhp, and 320-330 nm of torque! Haven’t done a 0- 100 time but it is definitely an under 10 second car!

The engine now revs very smoothly almost like a petrol, the build up of revs is the most distinguishable factor after the mod! The guys at Tune-O-Tronics are very professional. Tejas and Sid worked on my car and they have done a brilliant job. I remember telling Sid that I do not have the time to go to service if the car breaks downs and I want a very reliable mod, you guys come work on the car and that’s it! He assured me about the reliability factor and said that we will keep on monitoring the cars performance by calling in and yes they have lived up to their word!

The brakes of the car have been bad since beginning, now after the added power I desperately need to upgrade them! Waiting for Tejas to change his aggressive modded Skoda rapid first. Also Blackbolt turns 1 in couple of months, planning to paint the mags in black to give it all black look. Any suggestions where and at what cost can I get a good job done for this in Mumbai?

Cheers!

Blackbolt!
Sorry for this question, but I dont want to question anybody's logic here, but just want to understand this:

A company like VW puts in millions of dollars in the R&D of a product, and specially the engine and ECU, why cant the company get a better ECU and managing chips and software?

I understand that certain things are driven by cost cutting and with an aggressive demand to keep the cost low, like the Tyres, and the interior plastic quality or the steering unit or the alloys, but the ECU and the engine is the heart of the car, why cant a company pack in better things which are actually available in the market for 20-25K INR? and if some set of boxes offer better revs without compromising a lot on the mileage.... that would be approximately $300 at the current conversion rate.

If the manufacturer has given certain specs, for the engine and ECU I dont think that might be majorly driven by the costs, but there must be a strong logic behind it, and hundreds and thousands of KM of performance testing. That is my understanding, and since so many people these days are going after these tuning boxes, I am sure there is something wrong in my understanding....

Just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3930 3rd December 2016 15:51
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks