Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 18:51   #6301
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,712
Thanked: 1,411 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey645 View Post
Fellow vento heads,
Urgent question: All of a sudden my check engine light has come on. went to the Apple Auto guys and they've asked me to come back on monday.... w
Joey, the check engine light can come on for a lot of reasons so its impossible to tell unless it gets connected to vag com, throws out the error code and we know what is wrong.

The most common issue with Vento that i read which causes this light to come on is when the turbo hose pipe has a leak/crack but it could be anything. Can you feel the turbo surge/kick after 1600-1700 rpm? If not, then it most probably is the turbo hose which is why maybe you are getting this low FE.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 19:06   #6302
BHPian
 
joey645's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 77
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

The most common issue with Vento that i read which causes this light to come on is when the turbo hose pipe has a leak/crack but it could be anything. Can you feel the turbo surge/kick after 1600-1700 rpm? If not, then it most probably is the turbo hose which is why maybe you are getting this low FE.
I can feel it pulling but not quite the rocket -like -pushed- back- into -your- seat surge of before. it cant be aging given that ive only done 5000 km on it and its just 4 mths old.

What also concerned me was their refusal to check and confirm if its ok to continue driving.
joey645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 00:22   #6303
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,712
Thanked: 1,411 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey645 View Post
What also concerned me was their refusal to check and confirm if its ok to continue driving.
This could very well be the turbo hose but some times the car also goes in limp mode if the ecu senses something wrong but in your case if its pulling well but not as strong as before then its not in limp mode.

Regarding the service, its the same every where, even for a service appointment we need to call a week in advance. They should atleast have a quick service bay for people with issues like yours.

Would suggest avoid driving your Vento till monday if possible and head straight to service centre.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 00:40   #6304
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey645 View Post
I can feel it pulling but not quite the rocket -like -pushed- back- into -your- seat surge of before. it cant be aging given that ive only done 5000 km on it and its just 4 mths old.

What also concerned me was their refusal to check and confirm if its ok to continue driving.
The "glow" can come on for many different reasons apart from possible turbo leak . Some of the reasons that I know of are :-
1. Weak battery
2. Bad fuel ( which caused malfunction of fuel indicator too )
3. Dirty filter

Try out with another workshop .
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 14:55   #6305
BHPian
 
evilshantanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 518
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
The "glow" can come on for many different reasons apart from possible turbo leak . Some of the reasons that I know of are :-
1. Weak battery
2. Bad fuel ( which caused malfunction of fuel indicator too )
3. Dirty filter

Try out with another workshop .
addition to the list

4. Rear bulb fuse
5. Brake light not working
evilshantanu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 16:13   #6306
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NC / BOM
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 1,087 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
addition to the list

4. Rear bulb fuse
5. Brake light not working
Really? What do those two have to do with the engine?

OT I guess then they should have put a program to different color/formats of light glow to signal different problems. Like an SOS blinking for light bulbs related issues / slow blinking for battery issues, etc etc
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 20:08   #6307
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Really? What do those two have to do with the engine?

OT I guess then they should have put a program to different color/formats of light glow to signal different problems. Like an SOS blinking for light bulbs related issues / slow blinking for battery issues, etc etc
That already happens if your VW has the display featured in Jetta and Laura (and above). Those have a dot matrix screen, which displays most of the errors.
Unfortunately, cost cutting for Vento means that the Indian edition does not get this display. I guess the ones sold elsewhere feature this (like Indonesia ).

Moving on.. I have been getting pretty good mileage reading these days. Currently on a trip to Kerala, driving from Guruvayoor to Ernakulam ( via trishur) yield a fantastic 20.0 kmpl average ( 93Kms, 40Kmph average). The best part is that I was not really trying and I was definitely not driving slow. There were some rough patches initially, but the ending part of the journey was on some of the best roads, and with some traffic. On the whole, I'm very happy with the mileage of the car and its performance is just astonishing. Hard time believing the specs ( I guess 250Nm of torque spread across a majority of its rev-band really helps).

Last edited by allajunaki : 15th July 2013 at 20:17. Reason: Damn spelling :P
allajunaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 22:20   #6308
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 226
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post

Moving on.. I have been getting pretty good mileage reading these days. Currently on a trip to Kerala, driving from Guruvayoor to Ernakulam ( via trishur) yield a fantastic 20.0 kmpl average ( 93Kms, 40Kmph average). The best part is that I was not really trying and I was definitely not driving slow. There were some rough patches initially, but the ending part of the journey was on some of the best roads, and with some traffic. On the whole, I'm very happy with the mileage of the car and its performance is just astonishing. Hard time believing the specs ( I guess 250Nm of torque spread across a majority of its rev-band really helps).
Totally agree. I dont know this vento and my earlier polo returned rhe best mileages in monsoon. My recent trip to Kaas plateau and in and arund pune mumbai travelling in a span of 5 days was 765 kms in just one tank full I.e about 2200 rs worth fuel filled up in new bombay
Frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 01:36   #6309
BHPian
 
Rachit.K.Dogra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 617
Thanked: 531 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I have recently been observing 2 issues with my Vento.

1) The Fuel Filler Cap does not get locked even when I lock the car. So basically it is unlocked all the time. If somebody pushes the cap it opens even when the car is locked.

2) Sometimes when the boot is open and I try to close it, it does not close. I had to then unlock the boot either from the driver's door or from the remote and then when I shut the boot it closes. So basically the boot is open and the lock automatically closes and then when you try to shut the boot, it does not shut. Does not happen all the times but most of the times.

Anybody has faced any similar issues or have more details on this.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 02:26   #6310
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I have recently been observing 2 issues with my Vento.

1) The Fuel Filler Cap does not get locked even when I lock the car. So basically it is unlocked all the time. If somebody pushes the cap it opens even when the car is locked.
The pin which is supposed to fall into place when the car is locked might be jammed or otherwise not working.
To check the pin, open the flap and then while keeping an eye on it, lock and unlock the car using the remote. See if anything moves. If nothing is moving, the pin is not working. See if there's any debris/rust which is preventing it from moving. Else the motor may be faulty and may need replacement.

If the pin works, check if the hook on the inside of the lid (it will be a plastic part where the pin is supposed to lock into) has fallen off/gotten loose so that the locking is not happening.
EagleEye is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 10:33   #6311
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Today I was told by the SA that Vento soon will be coming with RCD 510 Head Unit along with few updates in August. Please anyone inside can confirm the news ?
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 10:55   #6312
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,327
Thanked: 558 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Had to get the AC vents in the centre of dash replaced. The new ones are still so hard to adjust and am counting days when they will be broken again. Its very pedestrian in design and make.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 12:14   #6313
BHPian
 
click's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Today I was told by the SA that Vento soon will be coming with RCD 510 Head Unit along with few updates in August. Please anyone inside can confirm the news ?
I hate when this happens, delivery of my highline is by end of this month. The only upgrades i would really care about are RCD 510, better headlamps and any other safety features. But every upgrade in vento has also been accompanied with a price rise. I suppose they will add few features but also take advantage of the opportunity to bump the price to reflect the current weak rupee.

I hope someone can get more inside info.
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 13:07   #6314
BHPian
 
abhilash_iv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kochi
Posts: 216
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post

2) Sometimes when the boot is open and I try to close it, it does not close. I had to then unlock the boot either from the driver's door or from the remote and then when I shut the boot it closes. So basically the boot is open and the lock automatically closes and then when you try to shut the boot, it does not shut. Does not happen all the times but most of the times.
I faced this issue and the lock was changed under warranty. The issue basically was, the boot not getting locked when the engine is running. The boot door used to bounce back when closing. I had to operate the boot open switch again for the lock to work. It worked well when the engine was off. So it happened like, whenever some one else (eg. security at office gate) tries to close, it is not closing, and when I try (mostly I would have switched off the engine) it was working

I am sure it will be taken care by the service center once you show them.
abhilash_iv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 14:14   #6315
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 78
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Today I was told by the SA that Vento soon will be coming with RCD 510 Head Unit along with few updates in August. Please anyone inside can confirm the news ?
If this is true, this would indeed be a fantastic change as the RCD 510 has the following features:

1) It would mean that the on-dash graphics display for the rear parking system would once again start showing (which was there in the RCD 310 but removed in the RCD 320).

2) The RCD 510 displays climate control settings. This may mean that the current Vento's climate control interface (which is below the audio system) may get redundant and that space may open up for something else.

3) The RCD 510 supports VW Bluetooth mobile telephone. So no more third party accessory to be fitted and direct support for the steering wheel telephone controls.

4) While not useful to me personally, RCD 510 has a SD card slot.

So overall it would be a great improvement if they put int he system and the same is enabled for the above.
IndianGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3929 1st December 2016 16:37
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks