Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 17th July 2013, 16:16   #6316
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Spoke to the dealership as well as a vw executive, who assured me that no new changes are in pipeline for sometime, as the last changes to Vento were made just 6 months ago. Next thing from VW will be the Polo crossover, which i think will be in the same price range of 8-11L, and dont think they would time vento upgrade in the same time.

I do believe that these changes are on its way but they would be for 2014 model. Vento numbers though may not be setting records on fire have been stable and i suppose they are milking it by coming out with various schemes to entice buyers.
click is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 09:53   #6317
BHPian

RCD 320 Already has points 3 and 4. Or Am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGuardian View Post

3) The RCD 510 supports VW Bluetooth mobile telephone. So no more third party accessory to be fitted and direct support for the steering wheel telephone controls.

4) While not useful to me personally, RCD 510 has a SD card slot.

So overall it would be a great improvement if they put int he system and the same is enabled for the above.
allajunaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 10:27   #6318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
RCD 320 Already has points 3 and 4. Or Am I missing something here?
Yes it has Bluetooth connection and a sd card slot. It's a pretty good system IMO.

The only things it lacks are:
1. Visual reverse camera integration
2. Advanced Bluetooth phone connectivity, whereby you can see the address book and give vocal commands.
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 10:50   #6319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Yes it has Bluetooth connection and a sd card slot. It's a pretty good system IMO. The only things it lacks are: 1. Visual reverse camera integration 2. Advanced Bluetooth phone connectivity, whereby you can see the address book and give vocal commands.
I have a 510 already in my vento. The Jetta highline too has it. The Bluetooth is not an inbuilt feature. It needs the 9W module. Hopefully VW launches the 510 with the 9w. Btw the Jetta even with the 510 does not have a 9w. So the phone button is still a dummy

They might also launch the next generation VW radios seen already in MQB Octavia
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 13:17   #6320
BHPian

Minor things:

1. My Vento was not driven for about 4 weeks and was kept covered in the garage when I was away. Last two days of driving, there are rattles and sounds from driver side doors. I have read about this on ownership threads here, but, question is: why would it start all of sudden when it was left unused ? Is it just the rubber in the window panels expanding /contracting and it will settle down to normal?

2. doors did not auto lock first two three times of starting, but, now they are back to auto lock once the speed crosses 10 kmph or so. strange?
stringbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 17:53   #6321
BHPian

Yup. Sorely miss the Address book and reverse camera feature (No , I did not buy the Garmin pack with my car, looks too aftermarket to be an OEM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Yes it has Bluetooth connection and a sd card slot. It's a pretty good system IMO.

The only things it lacks are:
1. Visual reverse camera integration
2. Advanced Bluetooth phone connectivity, whereby you can see the address book and give vocal commands.
Old 18th July 2013, 23:42   #6322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
OT I guess then they should have put a program to different color/formats of light glow to signal different problems. Like an SOS blinking for light bulbs related issues / slow blinking for battery issues, etc etc
I like the idea , would make the dash look more like USS Enterprise

Continuing on the discussion on the glow plug , I discovered (at the cost of some hit to my pocket) that while the glow plug may indicate a low battery , its not always that a low battery will trigger a glow plug glow. That's what happened to my car , after around 28 months the battery gave way . The cabin light , etc were glowing alright and the instrument panel on the dash didn't give an inkling of any malfunction however once I turned in the key, the self refused to fire . Typical low battery kind of die down which prompted me to replace the battery with an Exide battery.
I discovered one curious stuff which I thought would share with the forum:-
The TDi battery has a fairly massive amp spec of 60A , I was told that Swift diesel goes a notch higher to 65A . In comparison the petrols work at 36A . A direct result of this is that the TDi batteries are approx 30% - 40% costlier than the corresponding batteries of petrol car. Having been told the numbers, I will never debate about shutting down AC, cabin lights ( yes, christmas does not have to happen everyday), music system when switching off the car - diesels are power intensive and minimising diversion during firing it on seems to be the right way.

Some other trivial stuff are - My OEM battery ( Feb 2011 VIN) was an imported one. It was not one of the familiar Exide, SF, etc- the dealer mentioned the name which was pretty unfamiliar . Any of the oldies can check and confirm ?
souravc is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 11:39   #6323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
addition to the list

4. Rear bulb fuse
5. Brake light not working
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
The "glow" can come on for many different reasons apart from possible turbo leak . Some of the reasons that I know of are :-
1. Weak battery
2. Bad fuel ( which caused malfunction of fuel indicator too )
3. Dirty filter

Try out with another workshop .
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
This could very well be the turbo hose but some times the car also goes in limp mode if the ecu senses something wrong but in your case if its pulling well but not as strong as before then its not in limp mode.
Thanks guys for your inputs. I finally got it fixed and back. It was an Exhaust recirculation unit circuit malfunction that had caused the warning light to come on.

According to my SA, the wiring had been chewed on by rats which is obviously not covered by warranty. Right (And apparently, according to other people I met in the waiting area, any wiring issue is blamed on rodents. They showed me a chewed on wire at the time of billing which Im sure is something they keep in stock to loot unsuspecting customers)

The detailed experience has been updated on my post on Apple Auto (My Experience with VW Whitefield, Bangalore (Apple Auto))
joey645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2013, 00:30   #6324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Today I was told by the SA that Vento soon will be coming with RCD 510 Head Unit along with few updates in August. Please anyone inside can confirm the news ?
Which dealer in Bangalore? I am working with Elite VW Hosur Road and I'd love to get this system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGuardian View Post
If this is true, this would indeed be a fantastic change as the RCD 510 has the following features:

1) It would mean that the on-dash graphics display for the rear parking system would once again start showing (which was there in the RCD 310 but removed in the RCD 320).

2) The RCD 510 displays climate control settings. This may mean that the current Vento's climate control interface (which is below the audio system) may get redundant and that space may open up for something else.

3) The RCD 510 supports VW Bluetooth mobile telephone. So no more third party accessory to be fitted and direct support for the steering wheel telephone controls.

4) While not useful to me personally, RCD 510 has a SD card slot.

So overall it would be a great improvement if they put int he system and the same is enabled for the above.
RCD510 - Does this have a navigation system built in? If so, can we opt for this instead of the regular system in the Vento Highline TDi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
I have a 510 already in my vento. The Jetta highline too has it. The Bluetooth is not an inbuilt feature. It needs the 9W module. Hopefully VW launches the 510 with the 9w. Btw the Jetta even with the 510 does not have a 9w. So the phone button is still a dummy

They might also launch the next generation VW radios seen already in MQB Octavia
How did you get the 510 in your Vento? Please let me know. When I get the car (I've almost decided), I'd rather load it with a navigation-enabled entertainment system rather than fit an after-market one.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 09:07   #6325
BHPian

VW dealership is offering me free 'reverse camera with rearview mirror display' aka like the oem verna. They have offered me choice of three brands Torq, Dhc and Rsr. All three seem to be similar ( first two are Chinese I assume while rsr is Korean). Does anyone here have experience in getting any of these installed? Or are there any other brands I should be looking at.
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 10:25   #6326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Which dealer in Bangalore? I am working with Elite VW Hosur Road and I'd love to get this system. RCD510 - Does this have a navigation system built in? If so, can we opt for this instead of the regular system in the Vento Highline TDi? How did you get the 510 in your Vento? Please let me know. When I get the car (I've almost decided), I'd rather load it with a navigation-enabled entertainment system rather than fit an after-market one.
I bought the RCD 510 on eBay. Bought a Portugal built European model with code rather than buying a Chinese one.
Paid around 190 usd which is awesome!
RCD 510 has
Touch screen
6cd changer
SD card
MDI support
Dual radio antennae
Optical parking integration
Bluetooth expandable
8 speaker support

Does not have
Bluetooth , need to but 9w module which costs around 16k inr. So skipped it
Navigation : navigation comes with RNS 510 which is pretty costly and goes not have Indian maps.

I would suggest to go with VW specific blaupunkt
Models which look similar to RNS and offer navigation and Bluetooth out of the box and are German
They will cost you around 40k
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 19:23   #6327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
I would suggest to go with VW specific blaupunkt
Models which look similar to RNS and offer navigation and Bluetooth out of the box and are German
They will cost you around 40k
You mean this one : Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835

I believe there are some Pioneer units that integrate in similar manner, I have seen them a while back, but I have no idea about their model numbers and where to find them.
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:57   #6328
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Brake Fail

One of the worst nightmares of a driver is brake fail. And that is what happened in our Vento. I was was not in the car. My dad was driving and there was a colleague seated next to him.

This is what happened:
He was ambling at 5kmph.
A Maruti Onmi in front of the car braked suddenly.
My dad applied the brakes and there was nothing. The pedal bottomed out. The colleague said there was initially a slight braking effect and then nothing.

The car hit the onmi which hit another car in front of him. Thank god the speed was only 5kmph and the damages were minimal. Nothing happened to our car except a bent numberplate. The omni had some damages worth 1.5K.

After the incident, my dad tested the brake several times and this did not repeat. Now what if this happens at 100 kmph. This kind of reliability is completely unacceptable. Will be taking the car to the workshop and see if they can find any fault. However I do not think there is anything the service guys can do considering the problem is not repeating again.

I am not sure if this is an ABS issue or some brake master cylinder problem.
This is really scary.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:35   #6329
Team-BHP Support

^^Scary stuff oxyzen. ABS really won't be a factor at those low speeds I think.

Had it been raining? If your car had waded through deep water just before that, the brakes may have not had time to dry off. Some pumping of brakes is advisable in such cases.

Please update this thread when you find out the reason.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:45   #6330
Senior - BHPian

Thats damn scary oxyzen, as noopster suggested it could be due to completely wet brake pads if the car had come through waterlogged roads.

If not, this is strange, brake failing and then becoming fine on its own. Get the full system checked and replace the brake fluid if its more than 2 years old.

Do update us.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote