Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:15   #6331
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

It was drizzling but wading through water is out of the question.

Initially, the brake worked and then after a split second, the pedal went all the way through. The pedal bottomed out. It means there is nothing wrong with pads/wading through water. the issue might be with the brake actuating system.

The reason my dad suspects ABS is because, the emergency braking might have caused the wheel to lock up. hence the brake was released. Then it might have failed to reapply automatically.

Anyway a complete fluid flush is on the cards. But the root cause has to be found out. I will be back home within a few days. After that it will be taken to the workshop.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:18   #6332
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,706
Thanked: 931 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Can't imagine if this happens at speed. Can it be air inside the fluid lines getting compressed by the cylinder? The ASC is bound to get to the bottom of this, please make them do.

EDIT: Was it time for getting the fluids or the pads to be replaced? Was the car been driven with lot of braking just before the incident? Why I ask is because of this:

Quote:
As your brake pads wear thinner and thinner over several thousand of miles of use, the distance your brake pads need to travel to make contact with your rotors increases.

Well, brake fluid is hygroscopic -- it absorbs and retains water. The problem arises when the fluid has absorbed as much water as it possibly can -- it becomes saturated. Brake fluid is designed to have an extremely high boiling point; however, if you subject your vehicle to excessive braking, like maybe a trip through the mountains, you can easily cause the brake fluid to heat up to this temperature or beyond. When the brake fluid boils -- especially when there is excessive water in the system -- steam is a by-product. The braking system ultimately compresses this steam and turns it into water. The air separates from the water and before you know it, you have large pockets of air in your brake lines.

Last edited by thoma : 23rd July 2013 at 10:33.
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 15:05   #6333
Senior - BHPian
 
souravc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
It was drizzling but wading through water is out of the question.

Initially, the brake worked and then after a split second, the pedal went all the way through. The pedal bottomed out. It means there is nothing wrong with pads/wading through water. the issue might be with the brake actuating system.

The reason my dad suspects ABS is because, the emergency braking might have caused the wheel to lock up. hence the brake was released. Then it might have failed to reapply automatically.

Anyway a complete fluid flush is on the cards. But the root cause has to be found out. I will be back home within a few days. After that it will be taken to the workshop.
My read of the situation is that since this was one-off and could not be replicated even immediately the following can be ruled out :-
1. Wet brake pads
2. ABS failure ( as it happened at low speed ABS would not have been be triggered . Emergency braking by VW definition would be 100-0 kmph in 4 secs or thereabouts)
3. Faulty calipers
4. Faulty master cylinder
5. Broken brake lining
6. Inadequate brake fluids

In each of the above cases, the fault would not have been self rectifying. I feel that the cause was because your car was being driven in half clutch at low speed due to which the engine was not able to pump in enough power to pump the brake booster. Swift had a similar issue , being a Swift owner I was made aware of it .
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:03   #6334
BHPian
 
man_and_machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 429
Thanked: 214 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I feel that the cause was because your car was being driven in half clutch at low speed due to which the engine was not able to pump in enough power to pump the brake booster.
How is that connected to this? When the car is driven half clutch the power delivery to the wheels in only controlled, also to the booster? why and how?
man_and_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:47   #6335
Senior - BHPian
 
oxyzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Not fixed.
Posts: 1,026
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
2. ABS failure ( as it happened at low speed ABS would not have been be triggered . .
Ummmmm I dont think that is entirely true. ABS can be triggered at any point when it senses that the wheel/wheels are locked up. At speeds of 10kmph we probably don't sense it as the time required to stop to 0 is not perceivable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I feel that the cause was because your car was being driven in half clutch at low speed due to which the engine was not able to pump in enough power to pump the brake booster. Swift had a similar issue , being a Swift owner I was made aware of it .
Diesel engines have mechanical vacuum pumps attached to one of the camshaft (In case of 1.3 MjD engines). I know this because I have assenbled and tested many. Considering the engine never goes below the idle rpm, the vacuum which helps the brake booster should not be affected by the half clutch.
The problem that you mentioned is sometimes noticeable with AT transmission when you stand on the brakes in the D mode for long times. However if such case arises, the pedal becomes hard as you don't get the vacuum boost. It will not bottom out.
And finally when my dad was teaching me driving he used to figuratively beat me up when I used the clutch for anything else other than changing gears. So no. No Half clutch either.

This is a peculiar case. I am still scratching my head.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 08:09   #6336
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Ummmmm I dont think that is entirely true. ABS can be triggered at any point when it senses that the wheel/wheels are locked up. At speeds of 10kmph we probably don't sense it as the time required to stop to 0 is not perceivable.
As far as I know, ABS mechanism has a low speed cut off, not sure what the speed were. So at speeds of 10kmph, I think ABS will not trigger.
allajunaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 10:45   #6337
BHPian
 
rakchow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hello fellow vento owners, I have just booked a Vento HL Diesel MT. i have been informed by the dealer that the Vento HL Diesel MT's that are currently being delivered are not being fitted with Black headlights, Leatherette seats and steering controls.
Can anyone please confirm the same or is the dealer pulling a fast one on me?

Rakchow
rakchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 10:48   #6338
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
Hello fellow vento owners, I have just booked a Vento HL Diesel MT. i have been informed by the dealer that the Vento HL Diesel MT's that are currently being delivered are not being fitted with Black headlights, Leatherette seats and steering controls.
Can anyone please confirm the same or is the dealer pulling a fast one on me?

Rakchow
I got mine about 3 months back, with all of the above.
Ask him to give VIN number of the car and make sure that it IS 2013 model.
VW Website talks all of the above features : VW India Vento Features

Last edited by allajunaki : 27th July 2013 at 10:50.
allajunaki is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 11:00   #6339
BHPian
 
rakchow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Thank you so much allajunaki,

But there is fine print below the specifications which read as

"* The information, pictures, colours, and specifications contained within the Volkswagen Group Sales India Private Limited website are presented as a general guide to the products and accessories offered by Volkswagen Group Sales India Private Limited. Although every effort has been made to ensure that such information is correct and up to date, no warranty is provided that all such information is reliable, complete, accurate or without error. In some cases pictures of overseas models may be shown as a guide. Therefore, Volkswagen Group Sales India Private Limited does not accept liability for damages of any kind resulting from the access or use of this site and its contents."

I don't know how far I can go to the dealer armed with this info and ask him to give me the aforementioned features.
rakchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 17:01   #6340
BHPian
 
newtonMeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 482
Thanked: 313 Times
Default

It's definitely a joke! Please look for an alternate dealer. If the news is true, VW has moved back 3 years in time and also makes buying vento a dud proposition.
I am pretty sure the dealer is pulling a fast one.
newtonMeter is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 17:29   #6341
BHPian
 
KINI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: chennai
Posts: 301
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

I second Newton Meter, the dealer is trying to pull a fast one. I suggest you ditch this dealer and take the matter directly with VW. In my experience I have seen VW putting a lot of pressure on dealers when we complain!!
KINI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 18:30   #6342
BHPian
 
rakchow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Oh I forgot one more thing,they have actually received the latest booked cars without these features.
I forgot to mention that even the alloy wheel design is of the previous 5spoke type.

I complained on the vw website and they had a guy from the same dealership call me.(I'm currently banging my head on the hardest wall I can find).

They have found a car in my spec and color from another showroom owned by the same company with these features.i confirmed the date of manufacture as June 2013 from the VIN number(thanks to T-bhp),so that's not too old.i have asked them to send photographs of the car in an as-is-where-is condition and a scan of the form 22 to confirm the same.

I am having the car transported from the other showroom to the original by VW's own flatbed truck which is used for roadside assistance.(at a small nominal cost)

I can't travel to this other showroom to see the car as it is a potential 5-6 hr drive one way and I can't afford to leave office for a day just to see a car.

Any other suggestions are welcome to negate my worries.
rakchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 19:23   #6343
BHPian
 
newtonMeter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 482
Thanked: 313 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
Oh I forgot one more thing,they have actually received the latest booked cars without these features. I forgot to mention that even the alloy wheel design is of the previous 5spoke type. I complained on the vw website and they had a guy from the same dealership call me.(I'm currently banging my head on the hardest wall I can find). They have found a car in my spec and color from another showroom owned by the same company with these features.i confirmed the date of manufacture as June 2013 from the VIN number(thanks to T-bhp),so that's not too old.i have asked them to send photographs of the car in an as-is-where-is condition and a scan of the form 22 to confirm the same. I am having the car transported from the other showroom to the original by VW's own flatbed truck which is used for roadside assistance.(at a small nominal cost) I can't travel to this other showroom to see the car as it is a potential 5-6 hr drive one way and I can't afford to leave office for a day just to see a car. Any other suggestions are welcome to negate my worries.
May I ask, which city are you buying your car from? Looks like comedy of errors to me. Please can you check calling dealers in any other city ( just for enquiry)
How can a dealer charge you before selling a car to you he is actually doing himself a favor by atleast providing you the car. In this slow down please be careful and okay your cards properly.

Are you
getting the fully loaded deal? Free maintainence / insurance for 3 years? Including 3 years roadside assistance , 3 years warranty? Please look for these deals as they are worth 70-80 k

Are you going with finance or cash down? I think you should take the VW finance even if you have the full cash. As it break evens (10.3 percent interest) with the above benefits. You can then invest the cash saved in an appreciating instrument like FD

Good luck
newtonMeter is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 23:31   #6344
BHPian
 
click's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
Oh I forgot one more thing,they have actually received the latest booked cars without these features.
I forgot to mention that even the alloy wheel design is of the previous 5spoke type.
That dealership is trying to pull a fast one on you and getting rid of his old stock. I have seen the new tdi HL in showroom for delivery recently here in bombay and it has all the latest features. Run away from that dealer if you can, if he has the gall to lie to you on the model itself, then even he gives you the latest car, you can't really trust on what other trick he will try to pull later.
click is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 10:32   #6345
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 78
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
Oh I forgot one more thing,they have actually received the latest booked cars without these features.
All Vento 1.6L Diesel (MT) Highline vehicles manufactured in/after December 2011 have steering mounted audio controls so it is highly suspicious why the 'latest' batch does not have it. I understand you have been given a VIN number that you have confirmed as June 2013 but until you see the car yourself, don't take their word for it.

Write to VW again and tell them specifically you want to speak to someone at VW and not a dealer. You can also mention how you have posted this on Team-BHP and link to the thread.

I wouldn't buy the Highline variant if they are not giving me steering mounted audio controls. You might as well approach another dealer, if they give the same information, then wait it out till the feature is reintroduced or look another manufacturer.

PS: Who is the VW dealer you are referring to?

Last edited by IndianGuardian : 28th July 2013 at 10:34.
IndianGuardian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks