Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 3rd September 2013, 18:27   #6451
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post
Fellow Ventonians - One quick question ( pardon my unwillingness to go through entire 430 pages of previous posts to find an answer which I am sure will be there).

We all know that a Vento tank size is about 55 litres. The query is how much fuel is left in the tank when the reserve light comes on ( point where your fuel indicator shows 2 bars). This is time when I think by design, VW has disabled all indications of FE etc. The moment reserve buzzer comes on, the FE meter shows 50 km to empty ! This is highly disconcerting in a highway where you were actually getting 18-20 Kmpl just before reserve buzzer came on ! So, Am I to assume that the reserve capacity is only 3 Litres
I have driven around 100 kms after the Distance to Empty (DTE) showed 0. But I was on a highway and doing cruising speeds. I would recommend although taking it too far but still my calculation suggested that after you DTE shows 0, there is still around 4 litres of fuel. But as I mentioned please dont try this. I have heard that running the car on lower fuel levels affect the life of Fuel Pump. But this might be an old saying not sure about it.

On the rubber beading noise issue. Well all I will say is that I have learnt to live with it. It is there most of the days but some days when your cars gets washed properly the noise goes for a day or two. This actually makes me accept what VW foreman suggested me to do to get rid of the noise.
He said first clean the rubber beading with wet cloth properly and then immediately rub it with a dry cloth. But honestly its to much of a hassle to do it daily. Gurgaon is extraordinarily dusty so you would need to do it daily that is what I have felt. So I just relish the few days when the car is absolutely silent and ignore the days when its not.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 18:45   #6452
Team-BHP Support

^^ Both member Subodh and I (Vento petrol AT owners) have had 58 litres go in (separate instances) with DTE showing 10 km. In his case he had a fight with the petrol pump guys and threatened to take them to consumer court . I just rolled with it since the pump was one I trusted (as much as you can trust a petrol pump I suppose).

Reserve must be around 4-5 litres by my estimate.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:22   #6453
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Reason no 2 is BS. I have always filled well-over the auto-cut, atleast 5-8 liters on an average. And so is the case with most Vento owners out here I believe. Never had any issue. Which of the SA gave you that info? I always found the BUB advisors reasonably level-headed.

Do share the final findings.
Got the car today and the technicians couldn't find any tank leakage after two days of testing within workshop. They say the issue may be because of fuel pump not in the right position. How it may have got disturbed they dont know. What can be done to avoid this again, they dont know. All they fixed was the positioning of fuel pump. This was being serviced by Mr. Anil Kamble at BU Bhandari.
nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 19:48   #6454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Reserve must be around 4-5 litres by my estimate.
Thanks Noopster. This discussion is becoming more interesting than i had thought .

The moment reserve light turn on , vehicle distance to empty automatically turns on ( I mean if u had the FE mode on in your display, it changes to DTE ) and shows 50Km right ?

If the above is true, then Rachits statement that he has driven 100km EVEN AFTER DTE meter shows ZERO is highly unlikely. In order to do so, the car needs to consume 4-5 Litres of fuel ( as per Noopster) and run 50+100 Kms which means a amazing 30Km/ Litre

However, if Rachit is true, then assuming a average FE of 15Km/l the reserve capacity should be about 10 litres . Am I correct ?

Sorry guys for increasing the confusion. Anybody has a concrete info on this ?
saaicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:18   #6455
Senior - BHPian

The Vento owner's manual states the fuel tank capacity to be approx 55 L of which approx 7.0 L reserve, for both petrol and diesel engine.

The reserve zone they have indicated is at half way of the 1/4th of the fuel gauge, i.e, when the third block (smaller ones) has disappeared. The manual also warns us to always fill the tank when it is still 1/4 full, at the minimum.

Last edited by thoma : 3rd September 2013 at 20:24.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 22:38   #6456
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaicon View Post

The moment reserve light turn on , vehicle distance to empty automatically turns on ( I mean if u had the FE mode on in your display, it changes to DTE ) and shows 50Km right ?
DTE is extremely conservative and does not take into account the reserve. I don't know if DTE on the Vento ever goes to zero, in my case it has twice gone to 10 and stayed there till I refilled. You should not believe any FE figures you get at low fuel levels, if you ask me.
But as a general indicator it is extremely useful. Use it as it is meant to and all will be well!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 15:51   #6457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
The Vento owner's manual states the fuel tank capacity to be approx 55 L of which approx 7.0 L reserve, for both petrol and diesel engine.

The reserve zone they have indicated is at half way of the 1/4th of the fuel gauge, i.e, when the third block (smaller ones) has disappeared. The manual also warns us to always fill the tank when it is still 1/4 full, at the minimum.
Even though owner manual says its 55L, its 60L in reality (it can only be done if you release the airlocks). 7L reserve should be the right figure coz, I am able to fill in regularly around 53L once it goes into reserve.
anToNIcHeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 16:14   #6458
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of upgrading the headlamps of my Vento. Currently I have NBPs in stock wattage.

Now I'd like to know what are my options. I guess one would be to go for a setup like el lobo 6061 (100/90 W bulbs + holders) but I want to know is it possible to get LED lamps also for the headlamps for Vento? Any other recommendations short of projectors? Budget can be upto INR 10k. Thanks for any pointers in advance.

The requirement is for an upcoming outstation trip. I guess the NBPs are OK for city but they suffer bad in rains really and against oncoming traffic as well. I want to be prepared well for the trip.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 16:24   #6459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I am thinking of upgrading the headlamps of my Vento. Currently I have NBPs in stock wattage.

Now I'd like to know what are my options. I guess one would be to go for a setup like el lobo 6061 (100/90 W bulbs + holders) but I want to know is it possible to get LED lamps also for the headlamps for Vento? Any other recommendations short of projectors? Budget can be upto INR 10k. Thanks for any pointers in advance.

The requirement is for an upcoming outstation trip. I guess the NBPs are OK for city but they suffer bad in rains really and against oncoming traffic as well. I want to be prepared well for the trip.
IMO, 100/90W is always suffcient, if ones intentions are good You will need a relay, wiring kit & ceramic holders for the purpose though, and of course new pair of bulbs. You can have a detailed look here:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3227876 (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 21:04   #6460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

Now I'd like to know what are my options. I guess one would be to go for a setup like el lobo 6061 (100/90 W bulbs + holders) but I want to know is it possible to get LED lamps also for the headlamps for Vento?
Value for money option would be 100/90 setup. The one I'm currently employing gives a panache to the car since the light output color is white.

Going with LED coupled with standard halogen bulbs would result in a color mismatch, since LED are 6300 Kelvin and halogen are below 3800 Kelvin. The one I'm using are 4000 Kelvin, perfect match of white and don't suffer in rain.

Was driving on Mum-Pune E-Way last weekend during night time, I found 100/90 low beam was more than adequate considering E-ways don't have any street lights.

Also had replaced relay from earlier PMP to Roots which has increased light intensity and fuses don't go out anymore. With PMP, fuses were going out like frenzy. Go with either Philips, Bosch or Hella relays, if not Roots.
el lobo 6061 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 23:34   #6461
Senior - BHPian

Thanks el lobo. I guess I'll go with 100/90 halogen lamps only as it seems people are satisfied with it.

by the way, I got a new car. Or lets say, better than new! heres a sneak peak

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-_9070274_1.jpg

More to come
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 18:48   #6462
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I spotted a temp registered VW car this morning in Kothrud Pune. Things that caught my attention:
- it was a left hand drive car, with a warning sticker on the boot indicating the same
- the badge said Polo. It was a sedan, I could not make out if it was a Vento or a Jetta. Sorry I was too far away though I doubt I would be able to make out the difference even if I were nearer

Why would a left hand driven car be tested in Pune? This was around 930am on a busy city road, no camouflage. Nothing else to indicate it was a test mule.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 18:58   #6463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I spotted a temp registered VW car this morning in Kothrud Pune. Things that caught my attention:
- it was a left hand drive car, with a warning sticker on the boot indicating the same
- the badge said Polo. It was a sedan, I could not make out if it was a Vento or a Jetta. Sorry I was too far away though I doubt I would be able to make out the difference even if I were nearer

Why would a left hand driven car be tested in Pune? This was around 930am on a busy city road, no camouflage. Nothing else to indicate it was a test mule.
LHD Polo sedans are manufactured for export (to Russia, maybe elsewhere) in the VW Chakan plant. "Vento" is used as India specific badging only. Globally the sedan is also a Polo. In fact my manual and VIN sticker say Polo, not Vento.

What it was doing in Kothrud is anyone's guess! You should have asked
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 19:01   #6464
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Should be the Vento. I know that the Vento is exported to Malaysia as Polo Sedan. But not sure if it goes to any LHD markets.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 23:01   #6465
Senior - BHPian

And here's full picture (crop I had teased earlier)

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-_9070274.jpg

And yes that is my car (Not City. That's Mohsin's). Thats what he can do to your car!

Full report here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3234826 (The Wittels Chronicles - My 2012 Shadow Blue Volkswagen Vento AT)
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote