Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 10th October 2013, 14:29   #6541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Engine not being refined: what are the parameters which say that an engine is refined and another engine is not refined
My Vento is an year old, done 13000 kms on it and recently got the delivery of my diesel Ecosport. Vento's TDi engine is really crude and is indeed the most unrefined engine of all C segment cars.

There are vibrations on clutch pedal, prominent diesel clatter at all times. In comparison, Ecosport feels like a petrol car, the diesel in Ecoport can not hold a candle to Vento's performance but the noise + vibrations are really irritating in Vento. Wish VW had done a little more damping.

Drive a Verna to understand how good the NVH is in comparison to 1.6 TDi.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 15:21   #6542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Engine not being refined: what are the parameters which say that an engine is refined and another engine is not refined

Clutch being heavy: yes it is, I dont find it an issue. Even the C class clutch used to be pretty heavy, I am sure that engine is refined

Vibration all over? well I have driven it close to 70,000 KM i dont feel the same

Clutch being too far, well I guess you should modify the seating position

Compare with Figo? well no answer here Never been a lover of any of these American wheels
I guess he was just voicing his opinion here and there was nothing to take offense on.

I have been in vento and own a Figo tdci, which I bought 3 months back. The vento's diesel engine is indeed the most unrefined in the segment, it's noisy. Specially in cold start, where it sounds tractor like.

As coolboy said, in above post. The verna's 1.6 diesel unit is the most refined engine in the segment. Also, I can say that, Figo's nvh are alot better then vento's.
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 19:00   #6543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

I guess he was just voicing his opinion here and there was nothing to take offense on.

I have been in vento and own a Figo tdci, which I bought 3 months back. The vento's diesel engine is indeed the most unrefined in the segment, it's noisy. Specially in cold start, where it sounds tractor like.

As coolboy said, in above post. The verna's 1.6 diesel unit is the most refined engine in the segment. Also, I can say that, Figo's nvh are alot better then vento's.
True. Vento's NVH levels were a deal breaker for me. my 5 year old swift gives me enough noise inside the cabin (a combination of engine noise and the infamous maruti rattles) that a car with low NVH levels were top priority in my search. I still remember the noise that I got from the vento TD vehicle as soon as I revved past 3000 rpm. My friend gave a stare which meant " heck you dont want this do you??"
dr.surgeon1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 22:48   #6544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
My Vento is an year old, done 13000 kms on it and recently got the delivery of my diesel Ecosport. Vento's TDi engine is really crude and is indeed the most unrefined engine of all C segment car
I find all diesels crude and unrefined. But then I also pay 85 bucks a litre to fuel my cars!

Quote:
Drive a Verna to understand how good the NVH is in comparison to 1.6 TDi.
This is true. I drove Manson's Verna once and asked him why he bought a petrol!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 22:51   #6545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I find all diesels crude and unrefined. But then I also pay 85 bucks a litre to fuel my cars! This is true. I drove Manson's Verna once and asked him why he bought a petrol!
Whatever said! No one makes the orgasmic torque as the TDI in its class
newtonMeter is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 00:19   #6546
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
I find all diesels crude and unrefined. But then I also pay 85 bucks a litre to fuel my cars!
Crude & unrefined, in what way? Ex. in 1.6 TDi only the NVH on the outside may sound like a tractor(I may be exaggerating), but once inside doors closed & windows rolled up, you can hardly hear the clatter. Play music at vol level 6, you hardly notice it.

Driving 1.6 TDi is all together a different ball game. You drive it pedal to metal mode and it still delivers 17+ Kmpl. No petrol can match it. Throw in a remap which belts out 130+ HP and 323 NM torque, you very well easily smoke a Jetta TDi and keep pace with a 320d and give its owner sleepless nights(Power to weight ratio).

In Europe there are more sales of diesel as compared to petrol though it is priced higher. Higher fuel economy & torque figures are very well plus point of diesel.

Dieselhead aye. Bricks & bats welcome.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 07:24   #6547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Crude & unrefined, in what way? Ex. in 1.6 TDi only the NVH on the outside may sound like a tractor(I may be exaggerating), but once inside doors closed & windows rolled up, you can hardly hear the clatter. Play music at vol level 6, you hardly notice it.
Thanks for clarifying it.

Looking at the above posts, I thought you need industrial grade earplugs to be able to sit inside the Vento Diesel's cabin

I only hope its not all that bad!
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 07:54   #6548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Looking at the above posts, I thought you need industrial grade earplugs to be able to sit inside the Vento Diesel's cabin
I only hope its not all that bad!
From what I have experienced itís not bad at all. Probably the noise it makes outside gives an impression that its very rough, but once inside the car, the NVH characteristics are really impressive. Infact I drove the Vento TDI and Fiesta TDCi back-to-back, and I did not find the Vento lacking in this aspect.
The clutch was the only thing bothered me a bit, but otherwise itís a nice and comfortable car.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 09:27   #6549

Quote:

Driving 1.6 TDi is all together a different ball game. You drive it pedal to metal mode and it still delivers 17+ Kmpl. No petrol can match it. Throw in a remap which belts out 130+ HP and 323 NM torque, you very well easily smoke a Jetta TDi and keep pace with a 320d and give its owner sleepless nights(Power to weight ratio).

In Europe there are more sales of diesel as compared to petrol though it is priced higher. Higher fuel economy & torque figures are very well plus point of diesel.

I totally agree. Even if the prices of petrol & diesel were equal; I'd opt for diesel. Its the tractability delivered by higher torque at lower RPMs that makes diesels easy to drive. In fact my 68 BHP Fusion TDCi was easier to drive in city as well as in hills than my wife's 90 BHP i20 petrol.
Kal.Wiz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 11:26   #6550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My earlier remark was tongue-in-cheek. Am one of the few petrol Vento owners on the forum. AT at that!
When I bought my car, its price was almost identical to that of the TDI, which of course is a manual transmission. A lot of people (including GTO) advised me to opt for the latter because its engine, as a lot of you have mentioned, is a stonker. But petrol was around 65/litre back then and it hadn't started to pinch as much as it does now, so went with my heart.

Nearly 3 years down, the 1.6 petrol has been replaced by a much sexier 1.2 TSI, the 6-speed torque convertor replaced with a hot DSG 'box and my car is effectively obsolete in every sense of the word. Not exactly buyer's remorse but I have accepted the fact that I will never get anywhere close to a fair resale price for my baby!

Hope this explains things
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 11:48   #6551
BHPian

Quote:

Clutch being heavy: yes it is, I dont find it an issue. Even the C class clutch used to be pretty heavy, I am sure that engine is refined

Vibration all over? well I have driven it close to 70,000 KM i dont feel the same

Clutch being too far, well I guess you should modify the seating position

Compare with Figo? well no answer here Never been a lover of any of these American wheels
I am sure now that you have got the answers from many members above, about the engine crudeness and the vibrations on clutch.

Please take a test drive of Ford EcoSport or the New Fiesta to get the idea of what is refinement in diesel engines. Though I have not taken any of the above cars test ride but I am sure about them by owning Figo.
hiren959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 12:07   #6552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't help but comment on this, although I know nothing about the Vento TDI. I too find diesels crude and unrefined and just can't convince myself to buy one, however much economic/financial sense it makes. In addition a little research showed that diesel, despite all the advances to the technology, is still the dirtier fuel, especially in India where our emission standards are weak (this discussion has taken place in the diesel vs petrol thread.)

Quote:

Roll up windows, put on music etc. and then you can hardly hear it...how about a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones as well?

But seriously, I know a lot of people focus on diesel's efficiency on a per km basis but please do realize that it pollutes more (more CO2) per unit (liter/gallon) of fuel burned than petrol. There is an environmental cost to the efficiency. Europe is currently wondering why the air quality in its cities has deteriorated so much despite the shift to "clean diesel."

The Octavia review thread made me realize that people misunderstand diesel tech and where it's at in India. We don't use the most current "clean diesel" emissions tech like particulate matter filters in India irrespective of which car you buy. The emissions part is stripped off from the cars sold here, be it Honda or Mercedes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal.Wiz. View Post
I totally agree. Even if the prices of petrol & diesel were equal; I'd opt for diesel. Its the tractability delivered by higher torque at lower RPMs that makes diesels easy to drive. In fact my 68 BHP Fusion TDCi was easier to drive in city as well as in hills than my wife's 90 BHP i20 petrol.
I consider the premium one pays for petrol, a small cost/contribution towards the environment. Not to say petrol is clean but it is cleaner in a relative sense. Burning my house down to save a few bucks doesn't make sense to me.

To bring the discussion back on topic, the above reasons are why the Vento TSI appeals to me.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 13:10   #6553
BHPian

Well, its all how one takes it. Vibration and noise are present in a Vento, however, when I compare that to my Alto, its heaven.
The engine is far more refined in a Verna, however, would I like to drive the Verna on the highways at 90 to 100 kmph? Negative. I would feel far happier in a Vento. A Verna owner will have a smile in his lips in the city, not on the open roads.
Coming to the emissions part, India is still a far cry from establishing proper norms. Cars are still a luxury here, unlike the west. Whether petrol or diesel, you are still producing waste, though in varying degrees. I wonder how many of us will think of emissions every time we turn that ignition?
Nothing against petrol or diesel, but in the end, each car/engine has its merits and demerits. There has to be a balance in all factors and also what one is looking for in a car. Why do Maruti sell most in India? Not because they are the cheapest. Its because they sell the most balanced cars with a mind for what the Indian customers want.
Just some of my humble thoughts.
I would go for a diesel as my next car, plainly because I can satisfy both my heart and head.
aneezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 19:44   #6554
BHPian

Well, much is being said about the 1.6 Tdi's clatter and vibrations here but to share my experience of Rapid Tdi, I think its a pure delight!

That clatter soon becomes a music to your ears once you gather some steam. Every time you put your foot down, the roar from the engine gives you an adrenaline rush. Its not a noise, its music! Try switching off the music (because even at volume level 6-7 the sound is kept at bay) for a change and try the car on the twisty road. You will understand what I mean to convey. I can bet the slightest enthusiast would love it.

Vibrations. None. Its rock sturdy.

Clutch does have a slight vibration but that I guess is a deterrent for the drivers who keep their foot on the clutch and drive.
torque18 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 21:54   #6555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Every one who drives the Vento has a grin plastered on his face after a drive. The 1.6 TDi is really a gem, its unbelievable how the VW engineers tuned this 105 ps 250 NM engine to these limits. I had a slow 1.4 Linea and the moment i had a drive in this car, i was sold on it. As my friend who owns a Rapid says "these 1.6 TDi engined cars are poor man's supercar experience "
I say go and drive a Verna 1.6 and you will change your mind.

Its a little laggy but once you get past 2K, its delivers a rush of torque that keeps your pinned to your seat, revvs higher than a VW..sounds less gravelly and feels a lot silkier.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote