Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 20th January 2015, 13:46   #7516
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
Taking it back to the workshop tomorrow
Update on smoke from the oil dipstick vent. I haven't been able to take the vehicle to the workshop. However I sent the video and an email to the service manager. Pasting their response below
Quote:
Greetings for the Day..!!

I saw the video which is attached. As per our engine design it is common phenomenon of every VW vehicle. Not to worry on this case.

How ever for clarifying the doubt please visit our workshop on your convenient time.

Any further assistance, please feel free to call me.

Happy Motoring..!!!
thenomad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 17:36   #7517
Senior - BHPian

My Vento is making some soft tak-tak sound when it goes over small bumps and undulations. This is the not the infamous Vento thud. This sound is more prominent inside the cabin, but I cannot seem to pin point it when the windows are open. It's concentrated on the front end and I believe it has something to do with the front suspension - I could be wrong though. The car has run some 15k odd kms and the first paid service was done in November.

Anyone else have this problem? Can someone please shed some light on this.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 21st January 2015 at 17:37.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 16:50   #7518

Hello guys, newbie here. I am posting here about a peculiar problem in my machine, that i have observed 5 times in the past one year at various intervals. While driving in heavy traffic on level roads, I felt the steering wheel turn to the left by about 15 degrees. At first I thought that someone bumped into me but when I centered the steering wheel, it again turned left. I could hold the car in a straight line but I could feel the steering resist and turn left. This happened for about 15 seconds after which the steering became normal. At first I thought maybe it had something to do with the road surface. Same thing happened again after a few months, again the wheel turned 15 degrees left while driving straight and again it reset in 15 seconds. When this happened the third time after few months, I took it to the service centre. Here a mechanic came with me for a short two-minute drive and pronounced the steering to be absolutely normal. I insisted that they run a diagnostic and they did, reporting no faults. They claimed to have reset the steering module as well. A month later, same thing happened with the wheel turning right for the same duration, service centre people completely clueless.
So what I want to know -
1. Anyone else face anything similiar to this?
2. Is it some kind of electrical glitch?
3. Is it a mechanical problem?

When it does turn, a slightly harder than normal grip on the steering does keep it centered. I can feel that resistance disappear in 15 seconds. I have not faced any other problems in my car till date. The car is a 2011 november Vento 1.6 TDI Highline.
RaghuSuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 16:59   #7519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuSuresh View Post
When it does turn, a slightly harder than normal grip on the steering does keep it centered. I can feel that resistance disappear in 15 seconds. I have not faced any other problems in my car till date. The car is a 2011 november Vento 1.6 TDI Highline.
Do look at the steering linkages and the power steering system once.

Wouldn't alignment/balancing do some help?
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 17:25   #7520

Yes, I did get the linkages looked at. Wheel balancing was also done but it didnt solve anything. It felt more like an electronic glitch because in the 30 odd months I've had the car, only last year has this particular issue surfaced and only five times. Last year I clocked about 17000kms, the car has done 61000 in total. I did recall my uncle telling me about the programming for VW's often being buggy because one of his neighbors got locked out of his car, a 3 month old Passat. It couldn't be unlocked with the remote either. It also developed some other electrical issues that have not been resolved even after repeated visits to the service centre! Coming back to mine, I hope it's not becoming a lemon!
RaghuSuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015, 17:52   #7521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It couldn't be unlocked with the remote either. It also developed some other electrical issues that have not been resolved even after repeated visits to the service centre! Coming back to mine, I hope it's not becoming a lemon!
Why not try and reset the ECU and see if the issue repeats or no!
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 14:31   #7522
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I could hold the car in a straight line but I could feel the steering resist and turn left. This happened for about 15 seconds after which the steering became normal.
From your description, it looks like a sticky brake caliper. Please have that checked up. Faced a similar issue with my Jeep after off-roading, and it was one of the front disks grabbing abnormally.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 19:26   #7523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
I haven't been able to take the vehicle to the workshop.
Took the vehicle today to the workshop as I had another issue

1. On the smoke from the oil dipstick vent, they showed me several cars having the similar behavior and its nothing to worry.

2. Earlier this morning, I wanted to check if there were any issues post the injector repair like oil or diesel residues above the injectors. And I noticed smoke coming from one of the injectors on removing the engine cover, even at idle rpm. Its definitely not visible with the engine cover and can be easily missed. See video below

The diagnosis was o ring failure for this particular injector and had to get it replaced. Don't see any issue now. Total repair charges - 412 (299 for parts + remaining labor charges)
thenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 22:57   #7524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
From your description, it looks like a sticky brake caliper. Please have that checked up. Faced a similar issue with my Jeep after off-roading, and it was one of the front disks grabbing abnormally.
This could be the reason. Did not connect this till GTO mentioned it. I had a similar problem on the wife's Hyundai I 10 Auto. Noticed that the steering pulling to the right all of a sudden. Out of reflex, stepped on the brakes and after releasing the brakes, the force neutralized. This happened again the same day, and when the brakes were pressed n released, it came back to normal.

The next time it happened, I held on to the wheel and avoided pressing the brake and the pulling force continued until I pressed and released the brakes. Came to know immediately that there was something wrong with the ABS.

Took the car to the Hyundai ASS and since the Service Head was a cousin, got all the 4 brake calipers, including the caliper housing and the ABS modules replaced under warranty. The whole repairs took almost a month, since the ABS modules were not readily available.
Get your brakes and the ABS checked up.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 22:24   #7525
Distinguished - BHPian

Was following a new vento tsi today. Noticed that it no longer has the "volkswagen" name at the back. Just vento on one side and tsi on the other. Is this the case across the range for the refreshed vento? I recall reading that typically vw does not have the "Volkswagen" nomenclature in other markets and had added it just for India. If it has been removed across the range, Looks like they now consider their vehicles popular enough to drop the vw branding
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 22:31   #7526
BHPian

Yes that's true! The expanded VW was only to introduce brand recall and brand building! Now it's not needed anymore
Gives the cars a more cleaner back and saves at least 3.5k in cost to VW per car
newtonMeter is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 15:42   #7527
BHPian

Quote:
I will, anyways, check on my Vento, which has done around 31000 km, to see if any smoke is coming out.
Found smoke coming up from my car too. And from all the earlier comments, this seems to a normal occurrence on the Ventos n Rapids. No no more worries.

Quote:
Today I got the K&N Recharge Kit and cleaned the filter thoroughly. Got a lot of muck from it using the cleaning liquid. Presently have now immersed the filter in dish washing soapy liquid to get out the last of the sticky dust. Once rinsed and dried, shall oil it and give it a try again.
Replaced the stock filter with the washed, dried and oiled K&N filter and left the car un used for three days just to check if that 'pulling' problem still remains. Found that it works just fine, without any lag in power. So have finally found out that the problem was in the dusty filter. The usual clatter remains till the engine warms up.

Last edited by CAPTAIN REX : 1st February 2015 at 15:47. Reason: in complete. Pressed the submit button instead of re
CAPTAIN REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 21:24   #7528
Senior - BHPian

New Vento spotted. Due mid 2015. Expect feature rich in this facelift.

New Rear bumper, rear horizontal strip
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-2015vwventotsitdirear.jpg
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-2015vwventobootstrip.jpg

New Front Grill
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-2015vwventoheadmalp.jpg

Front bumper is all new, details hidden using clever masking, that makes it look like the current gen Vento.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-2015vwventofrontbumper.jpg

The only change happens to be the use of a newer, darker shade of beige,Rear AC vent and passenger seat slider lever present
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-2015vwventointerior.jpg
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-2015vwventorearacvent.jpg

http://www.autocolumn.com/2015-vw-vento/

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st February 2015 at 21:26.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 00:43   #7529
BHPian

Too minimalistic this facelift !
VW needs to do more to make this car look cool and i wish they would realize that.

I drive a Vento and its drives like a car that is 5L more expensive than a City or Verna. Unfortunately most new buyers will not reach the stage of driving the car and will reject it based on its generic boring looks !
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:04   #7530
Senior - BHPian

They took off the Volkswagen badging for a cleaner look and now they introduce a long strip (I should guess it to be chrome but masked with paint) that destroys all the cleanliness, the design flow of the boot lid is gone.

Adding to the ugliness is the needless horizontal scooping of the bumpers. Why? Volkswagen is all about clean designs and now they go the Chinese / Japanese way of cluttering whatever is clean and giving it a special name.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote