Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 9th June 2015, 11:06   #7771
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavb View Post
Thanks for an early reply bosporus. Regarding the update with respect to my car:

1) I asked them to replace all 4, but like you said, they refused. The SA said that we can't make a case for all 4 injectors' replacement based on failure of one. So they have replaced that one injector. Also, after the injector replacement, they ran the min quantity injector adaptation once again. I am not sure whether they ran the “ECU update & MFMA update to ensure compliance” or not. I have to go to collect the car today and I'll check this with them.

I am seriously scared about the failure of other 3 injectors as well. Let's see what happens.
You're welcome Abhinav! MFMA is apparently the injector adaptation, and they have to do that after installing the injectors, as part of the setup, plus, they need to share the logs with VW to get warranty approval, so guess you should be ok there.

About your scare with the other injectors, all I'd say is, please note the error message from VAG: remember, that your injector did not fail - it was an item which would be unable to operate at the operating extremes, which would, presumably, reduce the life of that injector in the long run. Your other injectors do not have that issue, and are anyways manufactured after the technical advisory.

So, I would not really worry about the life of the remaining injectors. Just be careful about where you get fuel filled - to be on the safe side, let's just take that part of the VW advisory at face value.

Quote:
3) Regarding the suspension, I got it checked and the mechanic has said that it will need replacement in some time.
Yeah, it does seem that the 30-60,000km band is when the car will need some suspension work, but thankfully, it's no longer that expensive. All the best with that.

Quote:
3) On a separate note - is your car back from the workshop? Has the door been fixed? Wish you many more kms with the car.
Thanks, mate. Getting it back tomorrow, hopefully, and hopefully, they've done a good job, fingers crossed. They're not too great at attention to detail, so let's see.

Cheers,
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 18:07   #7772
BHPian

I see a lot of issues with TDI injectors on this thread.

So is TSI much lighter on the pocket compared to TDI if we just take maintenance/service costs into consideration?

Thanks.
rosaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 19:40   #7773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
It takes almost 5-6 secs to get going if i start the car after 2 days, read online and they said some air might have entered the high pressure fuel system while changing injectors and that it would go away after driving spiritedly for 60-70 kms with some full throttle runs. Did any one else experience some thing similar?
Hey there coolboy, mine is a 2013 May Vento TDI. Although it is pretty distant from the ill famous 'injector fail' batch of Ventos, the number of instances accounted here has really psyched me out!

Second service was done about 2 weeks back. Prior to that, there was a delay in starting up the car for which the service center replaced a low pressure fuel pump(?). Recently, I am noticing a delay in starting up the engine after , say, about 2 days. It's not that much of a delay, with the engine cranking up in about a second or so. But it does seem a bit longer than usual. I consoled myself believing that it would be a cold start problem. I was blaming my cynicism, until a few days back, after a short trip, when I parked the car, the idling rpm was around 1000. Just gave a slight tap to the accelerator and it was back to normal, at around 800rpm. It never occurred again. Now I am really worried. Could this be an early sign of injector failure?
GKR9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 20:40   #7774
BHPian

Guys I got a 2014 May 1.6 TDI Vento 6 months back. It has completed near to 15000 Kms and the experience was trouble free. Today,while driving suddenly the glow plug icon started flashing. I switched off and started car again and the icon disappeared. Need help on how to proceed?? Can I drive the car? Is it an indication of a major problem?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ampere : 9th June 2015 at 21:02. Reason: Formatted post
printh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 21:11   #7775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Today,while driving suddenly the glow plug icon started flashing. I switched off and started car again and the icon disappeared. Need help on how to proceed?? Can I drive the car? Is it an indication of a major problem?
It may not be a major issue.

Just get the cars ECU scanned using VAG COM to get any diagnostic issues stored. If there are any error code stored, get them corrected.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 21:36   #7776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
when I parked the car, the idling rpm was around 1000. Just gave a slight tap to the accelerator and it was back to normal, at around 800rpm. It never occurred again. Now I am really worried. Could this be an early sign of injector failure?
The delay in starting could be something as simple as a failing battery. The other thing could be one of a dozen plus reasons including a faulty fuel pump (fixed, as you mentioned, so unlikely), faulty injectors or a faulty induction coil. Or, could be nothing.

Usually a real problem will exhibit with more regularity, and in a pattern. I'd suggest do nothing right now, but be mindful of your car, and wait for said pattern to emerge and then visit the workshop, so that they have something meaningful to work with.

All the best, and hopefully, it's nothing. Cheers
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 23:26   #7777
BHPian

Hello folks.
I have recently purchased a vw vento 1.5 tdi MT HL. This particular thread helped a lot in taking the decision to buy a vento.
Thanks to the members for listing every bit about the car in detail.

I would like to share my experience with the vento till now:

1. Compared to the old 1.6 tdi, 1.5 is much smoother. The surge in power at around 1750-2000 rpm in the new engine is somewhat reduced. The power delivery is more linear now. The precious 100cc are definitely missing, but then we realise it only if we drive both the engines back to back.
Otherwise the new engine has ALMOST everything the older one offered, with reduced noise levels and smoother ride.

2. The day I took the car delivery I changed my tyres to Michelin PST, 195/60 R15. While I cannot just comment on the stock Goodyears' (yes, I got Goodyear as stock tyres) , michelins are definitely less noisy. Infact it's only the engine noise we hear.
The ride has become so comfortable because of the added GC and the thud noise has almost disappeared.

3. I miss rear view camera. At tighter spots for parking, we definitely need one.

4. The headlights are pretty okay and doable. Nothing extra ordinary, even though they are dual beam.

5. The head unit is not so great. The Bluetooth functionality is very limited. An upgrade is needed for this one.

6. The MFSW is the best thing they have offered. The feel of it is something that drives me crazy.

7. On highways, especially after tyre upgrade, the drive is pretty relaxed and sorted. The grip on the road is tight. Vento is a no-nonsense car in such departments.

8. The handling is sharp, I'm no expert in this matter but from what I know, it goes about its job pretty well.

My experience as of now is based on city drives and on NH-8 highway only (Navsari to ahmedabad stretch). So with the roads being very good, my drives have been very pleasant.

Regards.
Chirag.
chintu_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 06:48   #7778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post

Usually a real problem will exhibit with more regularity, and in a pattern. I'd suggest do nothing right now, but be mindful of your car, and wait for said pattern to emerge and then visit the workshop, so that they have something meaningful to work with.

All the best, and hopefully, it's nothing. Cheers
Thanks mate! Guess all that I can do is to wait and watch. Hopefully that isnt going to prevent me from enjoying my beauty!
GKR9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 10:34   #7779
BHPian

Quote:
You're welcome Abhinav! MFMA is apparently the injector adaptation, and they have to do that after installing the injectors, as part of the setup, plus, they need to share the logs with VW to get warranty approval, so guess you should be ok there.

About your scare with the other injectors, all I'd say is, please note the error message from VAG: remember, that your injector did not fail - it was an item which would be unable to operate at the operating extremes, which would, presumably, reduce the life of that injector in the long run. Your other injectors do not have that issue, and are anyways manufactured after the technical advisory.

So, I would not really worry about the life of the remaining injectors. Just be careful about where you get fuel filled - to be on the safe side, let's just take that part of the VW advisory at face value.
Hey man,

Apologies for the delay in reply. Got my car back and then got tied up with pending office work. Anyway, I got the injector changed and am keeping my fingers crossed for the remaining injectors.

Regarding the fuel, I stay in Delhi and generally get my fuel from the Indian Oil pumps - one on Niti Marg or the one near Bangla Sahib. I thought both of them are known to be good quality pumps in Delhi. Also, I have filled only twice from Highway pumps in the past 2 years of ownership. So am really clueless about what more can I do regarding the fuel quality.

One of the mechanics who was working on my injector change gave me these 2 tips:

1) Use Extra premium diesel. It is supposed to be cleaner.
2) Always keep the tank at >50% full. This will ensure that fuel pump is always submerged and no foreign particles can enter the fuel pump.

Now, I am not so sure of the 1st point as multiple people have told me to steer clear of these "Xtra Premium" of brands. So would like to know the opinion of others on the forum.

Quote:
Yeah, it does seem that the 30-60,000km band is when the car will need some suspension work, but thankfully, it's no longer that expensive. All the best with that.
Any idea on the cost involved for the suspension work at ASS? The clutch will also require some work closer to 50-60,000 kms. And it costs a bomb. I checked with my SA and he says that if Flywheel is not replaced it'll be close to 25k and if flywheel is also replaced it'll be close to 45k.

Quote:
Thanks, mate. Getting it back tomorrow, hopefully, and hopefully, they've done a good job, fingers crossed. They're not too great at attention to detail, so let's see.

Cheers,
So, you would have got your car yesterday. Hope they have done a good job. I understand what you mean by the workshop people are not too great at attention to detail, but trying to make them realize this point is like

Hope you are not one of those people who have to face this issue!
abhinavb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 12:32   #7780
BHPian

Quote:
I have filled only twice from Highway pumps in the past 2 years of ownership. So am really clueless about what more can I do regarding the fuel quality.
If you had the same error message as me, and I guess you did, I'd like to point out that your injector did not fail - it was a faulty or lower spec. injector, that would not operate at the tolerance extremes of the new injector adaptation update. So, nothing was caused by your 'fuel filling habits'

Quote:
One of the mechanics who was working on my injector change gave me these 2 tips:

1) Use Extra premium diesel. It is supposed to be cleaner.
2) Always keep the tank at >50% full. This will ensure that fuel pump is always submerged and no foreign particles can enter the fuel pump.
Point 1. is very bad advice: VW (in fact, all the Germans) caution against using diesel with additives, and specifically mention that you should use only normal diesel. It's there in your manual.

Point 2. is actually old automative advice, and has a good logic to it - it prevents your fuel pump from sucking up dirt, rust or any foreign particles that may collect in your fuel tank over time BUT it won't help you against kerosene, which is presumably the culprit here, and, while it's still not a bad habit, I suspect the relevance of this sage wisdom is lower today, with fuel tanks now being plastic, and not metal.

On the same subject, another sage advice remains not getting fuel filled in your car when there's a fuel tanker at the petrol pump - as the fuel from the tanker goes into the underground tanks at high pressure, it will stir up all particle matter, which normally rests at the bottom of the tank, and could therefore enter any car that is getting refuelled at the time.

Quote:
Any idea on the cost involved for the suspension work at ASS? The clutch will also require some work closer to 50-60,000 kms. And it costs a bomb. I checked with my SA and he says that if Flywheel is not replaced it'll be close to 25k and if flywheel is also replaced it'll be close to 45k.
Coolboy007 recently had the front struts changed and apparently, your car will have one of two different parts: Type 1 costs 3600 for a set of 2 and Type 2 costs 8000 for a set of 2. Labor will be additional, I'm guessing. That should be a decent reference point for you.

Clutch work will depend on whether you treat your clutch properly and is not mileage linked work, and saying flywheel may need to be replaced is a scandal. Either your SA is an idiot, or a cheat, or both. Either ways, I'd seriously consider changing the SA, if not the ASS - I suspect, this kind of behaviour is more led by the culture of the ASS. Ask around to see which is a good one, close to you. I'd recommend the Gurgaon one, but I'm guessing it will be quite far for you.

Anyways, 50-60,000kms sounds way too early for both the jobs.

Also, where I don't understand, I always like to question whether a particular job is recommended by VW, on paper, or by the workshop - this has saved me a lot of money, including a waiver of that idiotic AC cleaning charge.

Quote:
you would have got your car yesterday
Ah, how I wish. Apparently the insurance signoff was still pending. I'm supposed to get it second half, today, but busy, so likely will pick it up tomorrow morning. Anyways, I like to pick it up early so I have enough time on my hands to sit on their heads & get them to fix things.

You recall that earlier recommendation for the Gurgaon service station - well, it does NOT extend to the workshop. But I'm not sure if others are any better (it has more to do with the 'anything goes' mentality, which is kind of ingrained in us, as a nation) plus now I know everyone here, GM down, so much rather go here.
bosporus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2015, 17:17   #7781
BHPian

Thanks anurag. Today the icon next to the glow plug also started off.so called up vw Salem. They guided me to open up the hood and check the condition of the two wires coming by the air filter. Damn those rodents!! It had been chewed off nicely. Took the car to vw pondicherry immediately. There were bite damages at three places. It took a whole day to get it sorted and was billed to 750 rs. The people at the ASS suggested tying tobacco. Planning to try it initially and if in vain,to try other options.
printh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 14:35   #7782
BHPian

Hey guys. Amazing information in this thread about the car. Need some advice as I also own the Vento.

I own a 2013 Vento 1.6L Petrol Comfortline which has completed around 4600kms.

The car was bought in May 2014 as i got a good deal on it.
The car is due for its 1st service. I have been quoted 11k for general service.

As you can see from the kms its done the daily running is not much.
There is cracked LHS tail lamp cover but VW insists they change the entire tail lamp assy for 4k.
I will b servicing it at the VW sewree service centre.

Anything else I need to be aware?
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 08:18   #7783
BHPian

Guys,thinking of picking up a pre face lifted Vento Tdi highline this week. The car is powered by the new 1.5 tdi. Vw noida is offering some mouth watering discounts too. But is the new(now old) Vento having those injector issues? I know that maintainence is more than others but I have to ask since it's a german car, does the 1.5 Vento have any reliability issues?
Doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 12:04   #7784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
There is cracked LHS tail lamp cover but VW insists they change the entire tail lamp assy for 4k.
I will b servicing it at the VW sewree service centre.

Anything else I need to be aware?
4K seems high - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3694460

It was 1750 (light assembly) + 236(labour): refer to the bottom of above post for details.
rejeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 12:32   #7785
BHPian

Thanks allot Rejeen. 2000/- for spare and labour. Wil take this up with them at the service centre.
iron is offline   Reply With Quote