Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 17th September 2015, 20:48   #7936
BHPian

Default Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I have had back to back major issues in my 2012 Rapid. First was the Turbo failure and now comes another issue of steering rack which also needs to be replaced. Mine is a 2012 model with just 25k on the odo. The reason I'm posting in the venting thread is to understand how many such issues have really any of you come across? Since mine is a 2012 car it's pretty much the earlier vento with a skoda badge. Although I got the turbo replaced under warranty and even the steering rack is getting replaced under warranty, I'm sort of upset with such back to back issues inspite of my running being very low.
Would appreciate any inputs please.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 21:52   #7937
BHPian

You know what? I am sorry to say this but the fuel injectors in your car could fail at any time( all pre 2012/13 models are affected)! When you get the time, go and do the minimum quantity adaptation test to check your injectors. It's better to get it done right away than to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. If faulty it can be replaced by warranty too. Do check the previous pages of this thread for more details.
Turbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 01:00   #7938
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
The minimal quantity adaptation done in my car took about 7 to 10 minutes and results recommended to replace all the four injectors. Not sure about 40 minutes for the same.

Either the did not set up the procedure correctly or something went wrong.

One option I can think of is for you to take your car to different workshop in your location and ask them to run the same and see if it comes with proper report. You may also raise a complaint with Volkswagen customer care.

Not sure if workshops are doing some tricks to avoid injector replacement under warranty.
can you confirm that the report was displayed where 'please wait' is appearing in the picture i have posted? or was the report displayed automatically on completion of the test? in my case the screen just displayed test completed and thereafter the log was accessed to see the report but that could not be found. Or they were probably looking at the wrong place.

Secondly, we don't have a service center in Allahabad. I had to take the car to Kanpur for this thing. Once i have the entire procedure handy, i will consider paying a visit to the Varanasi service center. I don't want to travel again to come back without any concrete result.
torque18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 01:21   #7939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
I insisted on seeing the log as I was not satisfied as to how the test ended within few mins when the results could have been gauged only after 40 mins as mentioned on the VAG COM screen as well.
Quote:
The minimal quantity adaptation done in my car took about 7 to 10 minutes and results recommended to replace all the four injectors.
It definitely took more than 10 minutes for me, but much less than 40 minutes. The test fails if it's unable to establish a stable internet connection.

You could simply insist that they do it again for you. Just insist, no questions or arguments. It's such a simple thing, most service stations won't even argue on that.

Alternately, ask them to give to you in writing that the test has been done, with proof (the log). And then, write to VW. However, they will never give this, and if you insist strongly enough, they'll just do what you ask.

Or, just ensure this is on your job card. Then it's something that they can potentially get a bad rating for, and will ensure you're happy with the outcome.

Or, simpler yet, just walk up to the service head or the GM of the workshop and express your dissatisfaction (I suspect you didn't escalate the issue beyond the SA). That always works, so try it. And if you did escalate it but it didn't work, complain to VW in writing (emails mostly work when they are immediately actionable).

In short, what I'm trying to say is, in such situations, politely insist & stand your ground. If they know there's no getting rid of you, they will do what you want.

Quote:
It would be a great help if somebody could direct me to some technical personnel at SAIPL.
What is SAIPL? Incidentally, this isn't a technical issue, this is simply a non-execution issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
You know what? I am sorry to say this but the fuel injectors in your car could fail at any time( all pre 2012/13 models are affected)!
SOME, not all cars are affected - let's not cross the line between hyperbole & factual untruths
- Do we have evidence that injectors is something we should be wary of? Yes!
- Does a pre-2012 car mean it's the end of the world & we're one dying gasp of a failed injector away from being stranded in a wasteland? Absolutely not.
bosporus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 01:34   #7940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post

Alternately, ask them to give to you in writing that the test has been done, with proof (the log). And then, write to VW. However, they will never give this, and if you insist strongly enough, they'll just do what you ask.

Or, just ensure this is on your job card. Then it's something that they can potentially get a bad rating for, and will ensure you're happy with the outcome.

What is SAIPL? Incidentally, this isn't a technical issue, this is simply a non-execution issue.
My car is Skoda Rapid TDI 2012. So SAIPL is Skoda Auto India Private Limited.

I have already had one injector failure in my car in December 2013. It has been detailed in the Rapid thread as well. At that time also, I had insisted that all the injectors be replaced as there was already a note issued in that regard. They had, however, denied it then saying that they will attend to the issue only when it arises.

Now, seeing the increasing rate of failure of the injectors in the 2012 cars, I wanted to have this test done as my EW expires in may next year.

They could manage to start the test twice on my car after repeated failures. When the SA insisted after the first attempt that the test was successful, I called the workshop manager to look into it as I was not at all satisfied. He himself tried to initiate the test with the same result. He tried to reason that since there is no fault, hence no report. According to him even though the log is showing 'please wait' but since certain values are already displayed so all appears to be good.

I am quite sure that even if nothing is wrong there will be some report.

A mail will be sent but I am not very hopeful. Waiting if someone can provide me access to someone responsible in the hierarchy.

Last edited by torque18 : 18th September 2015 at 01:39.
Old 18th September 2015, 01:56   #7941
BHPian

Quote:
I have already had one injector failure in my car in December 2013. It has been detailed in the Rapid thread as well. At that time also, I had insisted that all the injectors be replaced as there was already a note issued in that regard. They had, however, denied it then saying that they will attend to the issue only when it arises.

Now, seeing the increasing rate of failure of the injectors in the 2012 cars, I wanted to have this test done as my EW expires in may next year.

They could manage to start the test twice on my car after repeated failures. When the SA insisted after the first attempt that the test was successful, I called the workshop manager to look into it as I was not at all satisfied. He himself tried to initiate the test with the same result. He tried to reason that since there is no fault, hence no report. According to him even though the log is showing 'please wait' but since certain values are already displayed so all appears to be good.

I am quite sure that even if nothing is wrong there will be some report.

A mail will be sent but I am not very hopeful. Waiting if someone can provide me access to someone responsible in the hierarchy.
You hadn't mentioned Skoda, so had replied from a VW perspective. For Skoda, assuming things are as bad as they were earlier, I think AutoInt's suggestion seems to be the best - find an alternate service station. And this time, do not move unless it's done. May also be good to check where other members have had the min. adaptation update done, close to your location.

I would avoid emails to the big guns because you don't have much of a demand right now (unless this issue is repeated across service stations). Right now, it was one incompetent SA / Manager at one service station. I'd say, involve the top management when you have a concrete & urgent request. Incidentally, email ids are simple to decipher: first name.last name@skoda-auto.co.in Just google names of the top management - there's always a press release when someone senior joins, so easy to find out the names & designations.
Old 18th September 2015, 22:31   #7942
BHPian

Quote:
You hadn't mentioned Skoda, so had replied from a VW perspective. For Skoda, assuming things are as bad as they were earlier, I think AutoInt's suggestion seems to be the best - find an alternate service station. And this time, do not move unless it's done. May also be good to check where other members have had the min. adaptation update done, close to your location.
Had a word with the GM (service) and he has conceded that the test was not properly performed. Further requested to take the car to the Lucknow service center which is also run and managed by them only. Don't know the reason for this absurd request to take the car to Lucknow and not to Kanpur where the car has been regularly going.
Old 19th September 2015, 06:17   #7943
NH6

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I have had back to back major issues in my 2012 Rapid. First was the Turbo failure and now comes another issue of steering rack which also needs to be replaced. Mine is a 2012 model with just 25k on the odo. The reason I'm posting in the venting thread is to understand how many such issues have really any of you come across? Since mine is a 2012 car it's pretty much the earlier vento with a skoda badge. Although I got the turbo replaced under warranty and even the steering rack is getting replaced under warranty, I'm sort of upset with such back to back issues inspite of my running being very low.
Would appreciate any inputs please.
Issues encountered till date for VW VENTO TDI HL 2013:
1. Cigarette lighter* or cell charger port. Frequent failure of the fuse inspite of using Samsungindiaestore car charger.
Resolution partial: Fuse replacement and also purchase some backup for contingency.

2. RCD 320 skipping CD tracks and not playing the full audio track.
Resolution: Replacement made under warranty.

3. Steering rack assembly led rattling noise and vibrations felt at steering wheel.
Resolution: Replacement made under warranty

4. Door rubber beading tear near the driver seat.
Resolution : Not accepted and admitted by SA as product quality issue

All above issues were raised thru VW GG Thane . Let know if you want additional information.

Others, not yet flagged: Smoke or fumes emanating from the engine oil dipstick channel. Please let know, is this a healthy sign? Thank you
NH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 00:50   #7944
BHPian

Thanks for all your replies. It does look like the turbo replacement issue isn't very common. Just hope I don't have further issues.
Ordered the steering rack and waiting for it to arrive. Once I get back to the service centre for this, I will surely get the fuel injectors also checked, although I doubt how supportive the service centre is going to be in this regard.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:20   #7945
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Anyone know if this minimum quantity adaptation test for the fuel injectors can be done elsewhere other than VW service?
If Bosch service or someone can do this test, it could be better and dependable.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:12   #7946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Anyone know if this minimum quantity adaptation test for the fuel injectors can be done elsewhere other than VW service?
If Bosch service or someone can do this test, it could be better and dependable.
It's not a test, it's an adaptation. It applies new operating values to your injectors to ensure lower noise, better mileage, smoother performance & more linear power delivery, and while doing so, it stress tests the injectors. If any of the injectors fail & need replacement, it informs you of it.

As long as the adaptation is undertaken, there's nothing 'undependable' about it. Be present when it's done so that any 'replace injectors' warning by VAG is not missed by a careless mechanic.

And needless to say, it can't be undertaken by an outside garage, and even if it were possible, it's besides the point since I'm guessing the purpose for you is to have any faulty injectors replaced under warranty.

Last edited by bosporus : 22nd September 2015 at 15:13.
Old 26th September 2015, 09:25   #7947
BHPian

Hello fellow BHPians,

I've finally shortlisted three sets of tyres for my brand new VW Vento TDi CL and I need help choosing between them.

Could you please rate the following tyres based on:

1. Comfort
2. Reduced cabin noise
3. Tyre life
4. Handling and road grip

Here are my options :

1. Continental premium contact 2 185/60/R15
2. Yokohama S Drive 205/55/R15
3. Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60/R15

Thanks
saravcshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2015, 19:06   #7948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravcshah View Post
2. Yokohama S Drive 205/55/R15
I've used S-Drives for a while on my Vento. This is how I felt according to your priority : Handling and road grip>Tyre life>Reduced cabin noise>Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravcshah View Post
3. Michelin Primacy 3ST 195/60/R15
I've gone for Michelin XM2 195/60/R15 profile. Those are very good and I'm absolutely happy so far and still running strong even after 27K kms. No punctures /cuts etc. I'm not sure about Primacy 3ST though.
This is how Michelin XM2 felt : Comfort>Reduced cabin noise>Handling and road grip>Tyre life(Is also superior)

No idea about Continentals at all.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 26th September 2015 at 19:20. Reason: Added more info.
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015, 02:11   #7949
BHPian

Quote:
Had a word with the GM (service) and he has conceded that the test was not properly performed. Further requested to take the car to the Lucknow service center which is also run and managed by them only. Don't know the reason for this absurd request to take the car to Lucknow and not to Kanpur where the car has been regularly going.
Quote:

I would avoid emails to the big guns because you don't have much of a demand right now (unless this issue is repeated across service stations). Right now, it was one incompetent SA / Manager at one service station. I'd say, involve the top management when you have a concrete & urgent request. Incidentally, email ids are simple to decipher: first name.last name@skoda-auto.co.in Just google names of the top management - there's always a press release when someone senior joins, so easy to find out the names & designations.
Quote:
The minimal quantity adaptation done in my car took about 7 to 10 minutes and results recommended to replace all the four injectors. Not sure about 40 minutes for the same.

Either the did not set up the procedure correctly or something went wrong.

One option I can think of is for you to take your car to different workshop in your location and ask them to run the same and see if it comes with proper report. You may also raise a complaint with Volkswagen customer care.

Not sure if workshops are doing some tricks to avoid injector replacement under warranty.
Hi...I had a chance of taking the car to the Varanasi workshop where we attempted to carry out the adaptation of the injectors. The process started and continued for barely 5 minutes. The log was saved. However, the result is again the same. There is no report and it merely displays the exact same message that appeared at the other workshop where the test was carried out.

This time, however, the workshop manager was considerate enough and assured me he would get back to me on this matter after getting in touch with the technical team. Also, he has mailed me the entire log report.

Now, I am quite clueless. Has the test happened? or is it giving some error?
Even though this is a Vento thread, I would appreciate if some Rapid owner in the NCR who has faced the injector issue could direct me to the workshop where they got the job done for the injectors as this alone seems to be a reliable option.
Old 27th September 2015, 08:40   #7950
BHPian

Quote:
Hi...I had a chance of taking the car to the Varanasi workshop where we attempted to carry out the adaptation of the injectors. The process started and continued for barely 5 minutes. The log was saved. However, the result is again the same. There is no report and it merely displays the exact same message that appeared at the other workshop where the test was carried out.

This time, however, the workshop manager was considerate enough and assured me he would get back to me on this matter after getting in touch with the technical team. Also, he has mailed me the entire log report.

Now, I am quite clueless. Has the test happened? or is it giving some error?
Even though this is a Vento thread, I would appreciate if some Rapid owner in the NCR who has faced the injector issue could direct me to the workshop where they got the job done for the injectors as this alone seems to be a reliable option.
I can understand your frustration Torque18.
At the end of the procedure it should give out a report / log all the steps carried out and the outcome of that step. Did you look at the log report to see if it still says "Please wait" as was noted in your first try? If yes, then I would assume that procedure is not completed successfully for some reason or the other and the technician / SA is not able to understand / identify the same.

You will have to wait for the response from the workshop manager after he consults the technical team. Then may be you need to escalate this further.
AutoInt is offline   Reply With Quote