Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2015, 14:57   #8071
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Well, i agree with your views, but i still do not like how VW operates, it's more like threatening, which i have an objection too. They agree suspension will go bad early(surely not 1 year early), and i am OK with that. In case there is actually a technical fault that shows up in 1 year they should fix it, upsized or not. Ok 2" above specs void it, 1" above with the agreed deviation they should not make too much noise about it. If they really want to go that extra mile for the customer, publish the recommended sizes that the car can be upsized to(respecting the 2% deviation, not many would know how to calculate). If the car is running on those tyres warranty is honored, short life is customer headache.

As for the electrical part, i agree hence i said without slicing/splitting the wires. I have a honda city today(vento tsi comes home next month), and i must appreciate the honda service centre, they have never made even a single grunt about any modifications i have carried on my car right form day one. That said i never needed the warranty to be used
You asked VW a theoretical question, you got the theoretical answer, and now you have real indignation

I've never seen VW have issues, as long as your mods are not causing real damage - for example, they had no issues over me installing a VW steering with paddle shifts in my TSI. Just be careful which service station you choose and you should be ok.

About 16", I never spoke about deviation, I spoke about the added unsprung weight, which is why they said there could be issues. And as turbohead says, the suspension warranty is anyways limited, so don't worry about, and go for it if you want to. Incidentally, the real reason I didn't go for it was that a) tyre choice becomes limited b) tyres becomes a lot more expensive without any added gains (for example, if I could get a better tyre in 16" that is not available in 15", say the Pirelli P7, in the Vento size, I would have gone for it) c) the other tyres I wanted to buy were not available in 16", in the Vento size (the Yokohama AVS db v550). So, all you're getting with 16" is the marginally better looks, and you get stuck with barely a couple of tyres you can choose from. So, I remained with 15".
bosporus is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 10:00   #8072
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 163
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Why even keep those stock wheels at home? The warranty for the suspension anyway expires after 6 months/10000kms. Usually with stock tires, the suspension usually wears out by 30-35k kms at the earliest (as per reports here). For some maybe 50-60k kms
Are you sure about Suspension wearing out by 30-35K kms? Mine has run 31K. Will it add additional expense when I go for the next service? I am worried. I got suspension woes in my previous car (Maruti Zen) only after 60K kms.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 10:35   #8073
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 181
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Are you sure about Suspension wearing out by 30-35K kms? Mine has run 31K. Will it add additional expense when I go for the next service? I am worried. I got suspension woes in my previous car (Maruti Zen) only after 60K kms.
Vento's suspension is known to wear out earlier than usual. It all finally depends on how you drive the car- do you just go over speed breakers, potholes etc without slowing down? Or do you go over them carefully? Your answer will determine how long your suspension can last. Personally, I baby my car through all the bad stretches. It's done nearly 27k and the suspension is as good as new with no complaints other than the infamous thud.

If you have any doubts about the performance of the suspension, just go over to the showroom and test drive the car there. You'll get an idea.
Since the rear suspension is the first one to go, try this: with your legs outside, sit on the rear seats and try jumping on the seats. If you can hear any squeaks or if you feel the rear is bobbing more than usual, get your car checked. Don't procrastinate or else more and more parts could fail. You may only need to replace a bush in the first place.
Correct me if I'm wrong
Regards
Turbohead
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 10:46   #8074
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 163
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Vento's suspension is known to wear out earlier than usual. It all finally depends on how you drive the car- do you just go over speed breakers, potholes etc without slowing down? Or do you go over them carefully? Your answer will determine how long your suspension can last.
Accidentally I may go over some speed breakers. But the known ones in my daily commute, I go really slow to ensure I don't even hear that infamous Vento thud. However a 100m stretch is my daily commute is in bad shape for the last 1 year, such that I drive in 1st gear at even less than 10 kmph at times. Someway I was of a notion that Germans make durable mechanical stuff and Vento being a German product (mine as per SA is an imported suspension - 2013 model), should live to that expectations.

This is my second shock with this German product after my door started creaking and squeaking an year before. I had big expectations with the build quality and this came as a rude shock. A couple of trips to the service center fixed it later.

Will try the experiment suggested sometime today or tomorrow.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 11:03   #8075
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 181
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Accidentally I may go over some speed breakers. But the known ones in my daily commute, I go really slow to ensure I don't even hear that infamous Vento thud. However a 100m stretch is my daily commute is in bad shape for the last 1 year, such that I drive in 1st gear at even less than 10 kmph at times. Someway I was of a notion that Germans make durable mechanical stuff and Vento being a German product (mine as per SA is an imported suspension - 2013 model), should live to that expectations.

This is my second shock with this German product after my door started creaking and squeaking an year before. I had big expectations with the build quality and this came as a rude shock. A couple of trips to the service center fixed it later.

Will try the experiment suggested sometime today or tomorrow.
What you're doing is perfectly fine. Yes, sometimes you just can't miss those random potholes etc. Coolboy's car I believe is 2012 model. Even that has an Indian made suspension. There is no way your car has imported ones. It doesn't matter if the suspension is made in India or not. The only thing that matters is whether the manufacturer plans,develops and manufactures a hard wearing suspension. There are enough examples of good suspension systems made by Indian manufacturers.
Never treat or have expectations of any car with the company's history and philosophy.As far as I'm concerned, I took an informed choice without considering the brand name ( except for service).
Turbohead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2015, 12:40   #8076
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 163
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Never treat or have expectations of any car with the company's history and philosophy.As far as I'm concerned, I took an informed choice without considering the brand name ( except for service).
I can tell with a lot of certainty that I did not buy the Vento for the VW brand. I did a lot of analysis based on various reviews, road tests and my personal test drive (3 in total, just for the Vento). But German quality is a bit wide spread notion and I don't think its just me.

All Ventopians in the forum, any idea on the recalls due to the emission scandal?
Crank is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 00:25   #8077
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Are you sure about Suspension wearing out by 30-35K kms? Mine has run 31K. Will it add additional expense when I go for the next service? I am worried. I got suspension woes in my previous car (Maruti Zen) only after 60K kms.
Depends on usage, Crank. Mine is 4 years and 40,000km old, and only my left lower arm bush & suspension mounting needs changing. Struts are fine. Will update if anything else requires changing, when I get these changed later in the week.

A friendly test driver about 10,000km back told me that the lower arm bushings & suspension mounts will go between 35-70,000km; exactly what happened. Said, if you're careful, rest will go on for quite a while. Only good thing is, prices are quite reasonable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Since the rear suspension is the first one to go, try this: with your legs outside, sit on the rear seats and try jumping on the seats. If you can hear any squeaks or if you feel the rear is bobbing more than usual, get your car checked. Don't procrastinate or else more and more parts could fail. You may only need to replace a bush in the first place.
Not necessary the rear suspension will go first - I've heard of the front going first.

In my case, I heard the rear squeaking, and thought some bushes or springs were gone. They mounted the car on the lift, checked it all, said everything was ok, sprayed that 3M lubricant they normally also spray on doors, and everything was good again. 15 minutes and zero rupees spent and I was on my way. So I'd say, visually check if any bushes in the rear are actually gone. This squeaking happened when my car was barely moved for a few weeks during monsoons, and was parked in a bad spot, completely exposed to the elements - normally the car as a covered parking.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
This is my second shock with this German product after my door started creaking and squeaking an year before. I had big expectations with the build quality and this came as a rude shock. A couple of trips to the service center fixed it later.
The squeaks actually come because of body flex (which is otherwise normal). The official explanation is:
"Driving on rough roads causes twisting movements of the car body. During this twisting, there is friction between the body and window GRM (Glass Run Module), hence friction along with dust accumulation might lead to squeaking noise from door areas."

While all the VW service guys spray that lubricant to make it go for a few months at at time, the official fix is to use Anti-Friction film at the top of the doors.
bosporus is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:15   #8078
BHPian
 
mohanaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

There is a news of VW to recall 3.2L cars.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/50005262.cms

NEW DELHI: Most of the major models sold by the VW group will be covered in the recall exercise as the spiked machines carry 1.2-litre, 1.5-litre, 1.6-litre and 2litre diesel engines. The engines are derivatives of the EA189 diesel engine family where the cheating software was installed globally to buck tough emission norms and achieve higher efficiencies.

Giving details, a source within the group said that Polo, Vento, Jetta and Passat are among the vehicles from the VW stable that will be impacted. For Audi, the models where the recall will be announced included the A4 and A6 sedans and the Q3 and Q5 SUVs.For Skoda, the affected models include Fabia compact and Rapid, Laura and Superb sedans and the Yeti SUV .
mohanaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:56   #8079
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 181
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
.

In my case, I heard the rear squeaking, and thought some bushes or springs were gone. They mounted the car on the lift, checked it all, said everything was ok, sprayed that 3M lubricant they normally also spray on doors, and everything was good again. 15 minutes and zero rupees spent and I was on my way. So I'd say, visually check if any bushes in the rear are actually gone. This squeaking happened when my car was barely moved for a few weeks during monsoons, and was parked in a bad spot, completely exposed to the elements - normally the car as a covered parking.
.
I'll leave it there. I was speaking from experience with our old i20. It started with squeaking and slowly the ride started becoming worse. Needles to say the service centre procrastinated and things went downhill( waited for the parts for 4 months before giving it of). They never sourced the parts despite having the factory 30 kms away.
Hence I really don't wanna mess with the suspension of any car in any way. Rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited by Turbohead : 2nd December 2015 at 08:58.
Turbohead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:14   #8080
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hello folks.

Need help with my 2011 VW Vento TDi.
The air conditioning of the car is behaving in a funny manner. The AC vents in the Centre of the dashboard don't give out any air, while the vents on both the front sides (driver side & passenger side) are working perfectly. Even the vent given for the rear passengers is working fine.

Should I visit a Service Centre ? Anything that I can do to fix it myself ?
utkarsh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 13:19   #8081
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 39
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarsh10 View Post
Hello folks.

Need help with my 2011 VW Vento TDi.
The air conditioning of the car is behaving in a funny manner. The AC vents in the Centre of the dashboard don't give out any air, while the vents on both the front sides (driver side & passenger side) are working perfectly. Even the vent given for the rear passengers is working fine.

Should I visit a Service Centre ? Anything that I can do to fix it myself ?
Hi Utkarsh,

Yes you'll need to visit the service center for resolving this issue. It could be due to the center ac vents air blower going kaput. It had happened in my car as well and some minor tinkering could rectify it. However in extreme case you might need to change the blower for the center vents.

Cheers!
abhinavb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:35   #8082
BHPian
 
mohanaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavb View Post
Hi Utkarsh,

Yes you'll need to visit the service center for resolving this issue. It could be due to the center ac vents air blower going kaput. It had happened in my car as well and some minor tinkering could rectify it. However in extreme case you might need to change the blower for the center vents.

Cheers!
Hi Utkarsh,

Recently my vento (which is also a 2011 TDI) also has a similar issue. The center console air blow has become very low and I see mist getting formed near lower windshield (even the blow level is one point). Rest all blowers are normal.
I thought something is blocking the air flow near center console and the air flow is existing from vents near windshield. I also suspected rats could be a reason. I didnt know that there is a separate blower for center console, thanks abhinavb for the info.

I am observing this from last weeks, as it is currently a cold whether in Bangalore, I am waiting till next service due to show it up.

Thanks
mohanaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 19:45   #8083
BHPian
 
GKR9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: EKM/Thrissur
Posts: 277
Thanked: 490 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Get 100/90 bulbs to make night drives safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If they are not cutting the wires, then warranty is not void.
Finally took the plunge and got a pair of Osram 90/100s fitted with relay at Mustang motors Thrissur. No wire cutting, neat installation Gotta say, I'm loving the additional illumination. Should've done it sooner.

I wonder whether the increased heat from these bulbs have any adverse effect on the headlight assembly. Went for a short night ride yesterday just to check out the new headlamps and when I got back, the glass casing felt a bit hot. Any advice guys?
GKR9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:35   #8084
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Went for a short night ride yesterday just to check out the new headlamps and when I got back, the glass casing felt a bit hot. Any advice guys?
Earlier you had 55/60W equating 115W and now with 90/100 totalling 190W, there will of course be more heat. That is 65% more heat given you use high beams.

Don't worry VW product quality is pretty good. I'm having 90/100W for past 4.5 years and casing still is, all good.

Enjoy your night drive with better illumination.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 02:41   #8085
BHPian
 
magikrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MH-01
Posts: 441
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi. I bought a vento almost a year back. it was one of the last few units of 1.6 TDI left after the updated 1.5 TDI model launched. even though the vento has a yearly service schedule, the new car has a one time check up after the first 6 months, which I missed! now my car will complete one year in another weeks time. but I was thinking and hoping to get that check up now, though its a bit too late. my car has been used very less though. less than 5 thousand kms. So will the VW guys still give me that initial check up service now and also if they don't, will it be still ok and did I miss something really important? or should I not bother and just get the first yearly service done instead now?
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3931 5th December 2016 14:24
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks