Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 5th December 2015, 03:18   #8086
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Earlier you had 55/60W equating 115W and now with 90/100 totalling 190W, there will of course be more heat. That is 65% more heat given you use high beams.

Don't worry VW product quality is pretty good. I'm having 90/100W for past 4.5 years and casing still is, all good.

Enjoy your night drive with better illumination.
Your feedback and research is really tempting me to bite this bullet and go for your setup. Let me find some free time. I might also get your setup copied in my car. By the way, thank you again for all your detailed research and explanation.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 06:36   #8087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
So will the VW guys still give me that initial check up service now and also if they don't, will it be still ok and did I miss something really important? or should I not bother and just get the first yearly service done instead now?
Just get the first service done on the one year-end date - missing the initial check is not that big an issue.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 06:39   #8088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So will the VW guys still give me that initial check up service now and also if they don't, will it be still ok and did I miss something really important? or should I not bother and just get the first yearly service done instead now?
They don't do anything noteworthy in the first check up. Just check everything including fluids once. So you have not missed anything important. Since it is almost a year, just go ahead with the first service.

Note: you do not need to wait for a year to complete for the service. I just did the 2nd service after 1 year 10.5 months and 21k km.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 03:00   #8089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Just get the first service done on the one year-end date - missing the initial check is not that big an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
They don't do anything noteworthy in the first check up. Just check everything including fluids once. So you have not missed anything important. Since it is almost a year, just go ahead with the first service.

Note: you do not need to wait for a year to complete for the service. I just did the 2nd service after 1 year 10.5 months and 21k km.
Thanks Guys. I asked the Autobahn service centre and some lady said you should get the free initial service done soon or else some issues might come in warranty. So I went to my nearest service centre, which is the shaman auto vw service centre near cotton green. but there they said the initial service is not that important as they just do the check up and top up if required and washing. So its better if I get the 1st service which is at one year interval instead as its about time already. So I gave my car for servicing and also opted for the 3M polishing and interior cleaning for 3800. wil get the car on monday.

But I just realized that what if they do that software tweak and lower my power output for which they have recalled so many cars recently!
I will call them up and inform tomorrow morning and hoping they haven't done that already.

Last edited by magikrider : 6th December 2015 at 03:01.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 14:42   #8090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I just realized that what if they do that software tweak and lower my power output for which they have recalled so many cars recently!
I will call them up and inform tomorrow morning and hoping they haven't done that already.
I don't think you need to worry. I doubt if VW is so efficient . Since the recall has just been announced, I think it will take some time for the clear instructions and logistics to be conveyed to the dealers
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 20:45   #8091
BHPian

Quote:
I just realized that what if they do that software tweak and lower my power output for which they have recalled so many cars recently!
1. it's just a supposition that the solution will lower the power output, and it comes from the simplistic view that fixed cars will run in emission mode, which had lower output, versus the normal mode, which had higher output. No one knows if this will hold, especially since VW knows that it was have a large scale customer crisis if the fixed cars feel slower or deliver lower milage than before. Also, the emission mode is not made for normal driving, and so cannot conceivably be used, as is.

2. The fix needs to be approved by the competent govt. authorities, before VW can execute it. That will be followed by a formal recall notice. None of the two have happened yet.

3. In addition to the ECU update, the 1.6l engines, as in the Vento, need a 'flow straightener' that will be installed before the air mass filter, for improving accuracy when measuring current air mass throughput, which will further lead to optimum combustion. VW has stated that this part will not be available for use before Sep. 2016.

In short, right now we have no evidence that the fix is bad from a car performance POV, and we have all the evidence that VW cannot possible have started executing the fix. So, relax and enjoy the drive

Last edited by bosporus : 6th December 2015 at 20:49.
bosporus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 21:41   #8092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I don't think you need to worry. I doubt if VW is so efficient . Since the recall has just been announced, I think it will take some time for the clear instructions and logistics to be conveyed to the dealers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
1. it's just a supposition that the solution will lower the power output, and it comes from the simplistic view that fixed cars will run in emission mode, which had lower output, versus the normal mode, which had higher output. No one knows if this will hold, especially since VW knows that it was have a large scale customer crisis if the fixed cars feel slower or deliver lower milage than before. Also, the emission mode is not made for normal driving, and so cannot conceivably be used, as is.

2. The fix needs to be approved by the competent govt. authorities, before VW can execute it. That will be followed by a formal recall notice. None of the two have happened yet.

3. In addition to the ECU update, the 1.6l engines, as in the Vento, need a 'flow straightener' that will be installed before the air mass filter, for improving accuracy when measuring current air mass throughput, which will further lead to optimum combustion. VW has stated that this part will not be available for use before Sep. 2016.

In short, right now we have no evidence that the fix is bad from a car performance POV, and we have all the evidence that VW cannot possible have started executing the fix. So, relax and enjoy the drive
Wow! Thanks so much guys! Lol.. This is why I love Team-bhp
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 21:56   #8093
BHPian

for the fix part i was doing the PDI of vento today and SA said it will be atleast 2-3 months before they start recalling the car, and it will run for close to 32-36 weeks, so i guess the recall will finish by end of 2016.
AtheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 13:25   #8094
BHPian

All of a sudden my car's steering has become too tight and heavy. Very difficult to manoeuvre the steering these days from 0 to 60kmph. What might be reason ? Or should I be something worried ?
CRV2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 13:36   #8095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
All of a sudden my car's steering has become too tight and heavy. Very difficult to manoeuvre the steering these days from 0 to 60kmph. What might be reason ? Or should I be something worried ?
I had the same issue on my Civic. Narrowed it to a broken O ring that was leaking power steering fluid. Maybe you can get that checked first.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 13:51   #8096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I had the same issue on my Civic. Narrowed it to a broken O ring that was leaking power steering fluid. Maybe you can get that checked first.
Isn't Vento a EPS ? I don't know if there is any power steering liquid in Vento. Correct me If i am wrong.
Old 8th December 2015, 14:09   #8097
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The Civic had hydraulic power steering, while Vento has Electric Power Steering - the Vento therefore has no power steering fluid, rather, an electric motor powers it.

It could simply be something as basic as the steering torque sensor gone wrong, but since the issue is likely somewhere in the steering assembly, I'd say get it checked immediately, as that is an area of the car not to be trifled with.

Last edited by bosporus : 8th December 2015 at 14:14.
bosporus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 14:14   #8098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
The Civic had hydraulic power steering, while Vento has Electric Power Steering - the Vento therefore has no power steering fluid, rather, an electric motor powers it.

However, your issue is likely somewhere in the steering rack, and that is an area of the car not to be trifled with. Get it checked immediately.
Thanks bosporus. I am afraid as VW had already replaced the steering rack column once under warranty. Though the car is still under warranty I doubt if they honor the warranty replacement again for the same part.

I really wish it's not steering column the culprit again.

PS : anyone got the steering rack or any other part replaced more than once under warranty ?
Old 8th December 2015, 14:14   #8099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't Vento a EPS ? I don't know if there is any power steering liquid in Vento. Correct me If i am wrong.
You're right. The Vento does come with EPS unlike the hydraulic unit of the Civic. Maybe the issue is with a power sensor malfunctioning. Haven't heard many instances of that happening before though. Or as bosporus mentioned it could be the assembly. I'd get it checked out as well.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 8th December 2015 at 14:16.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 14:16   #8100
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bosporus. I am afraid as VW had already replaced the steering rack column once under warranty. Though the car is still under warranty I doubt if they honor the warranty replacement again for the same part.

I really wish it's not steering column the culprit again.

PS : anyone got the steering rack or any other part replaced more than once under warranty ?
Quote:
You're right. The Vento does come with EPS unlike the hydraulic unit of the Civic. Maybe the issue is with a power sensor malfunctioning. Haven't heard many instances of that happening before though.
Exactly - likely to be a steering torque sensor issue. Either ways, get it checked.
(I'd modified my original post to say this, but guess by the time you'd already replied.)

Also, doesn't matter if it's been changed once - as long as it's under warranty, they will change it as long as the issue persists. In fact, if it's a chronic issue, they'll honour it even outside warranty.
bosporus is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote