Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2015, 19:27   #8116
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AashishC View Post
Hey there!

I got my front right fog light replaced from Volkswagen Naraina, Delhi for Rs. 5k including labour. The SA told me that it could also have caused a fire. Here are a few photos of the destroyed fog light.
Oh theres the same issue with one of my foglights as well. A dog hit on a highway caused it! Did they change only one or both (I mean does it come in pairs officially or you can get only one as well?) I should also get it changed.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 19:44   #8117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 471
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
So i own a 2015 VW Vento that i bought as a replacement to my 2010 VW Vento. Almost 7 months in, and less than 10,000 km on the odo and my Diesel Engine malfunction light starts flashing. When the light comes on, the turbo switches off, the engine goes into safe mode and starts upshifting at 2000 rpm.
Hi venom_op,
Sorry to hear about the problem you faced.

Has the problem been resolved? If engine malfunction light had flashed, there must be some error code generated.

In the interest of your car, visit the service station and follow-up personally with the SA. Though some extra time will be spent, it is better than the car standing at the service station for long time. I am always scared to keep the car in their yard for long time.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 19:46   #8118
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 8,025 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Hi folks
Our car has run 28k kms now and is drawing closer to the second service. Last time it was serviced in April 2015 with 148**kms on the odometer. I got two questions
1. Should I service on or before 298** kms or can i stretch it to a tad below 30k kms?
Get it serviced at 298** km. Do not take chances here. God forbid, if something went wrong during that last 1** km of your drive, the service center will deny warranty replacements citing you overshot the service interval. The Punto thread wherein the owner did that is a testament to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AashishC View Post
I got my front right fog light replaced from Volkswagen Naraina, Delhi for Rs. 5k including labour. The SA told me that it could also have caused a fire. Here are a few photos of the destroyed fog light.
Looks like the HB4 bulb holder broke and was misaligned causing the adjacent areas to melt.

What is the price of the fog lamp unit alone?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 23:45   #8119
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Oh theres the same issue with one of my foglights as well. A dog hit on a highway caused it! Did they change only one or both (I mean does it come in pairs officially or you can get only one as well?) I should also get it changed.
Hi joslicx!

It comes separately and not in pairs. You should get it replaced immediately and not ignore it like I did as it is not the safest thing to do.

P.S. The fog light includes a bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Looks like the HB4 bulb holder broke and was misaligned causing the adjacent areas to melt.

What is the price of the fog lamp unit alone?
Hi Gannu_1!

The price of the fog lamp unit is Rs. 4,500 which is inclusive of the bulb. Labour charge was Rs. 500 for unscrewing 3 screws and then tightening them back.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 31st December 2015 at 01:36. Reason: merging posts. Kindly use the edit option when replying within 30minutes. Thanks.
AashishC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2016, 00:48   #8120
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nashik
Posts: 125
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi venom_op,

Sorry to hear about the problem you faced.



Has the problem been resolved? If engine malfunction light had flashed, there must be some error code generated.



In the interest of your car, visit the service station and follow-up personally with the SA. Though some extra time will be spent, it is better than the car standing at the service station for long time. I am always scared to keep the car in their yard for long time.

Hey Rahul,

So, surprisingly there was no error code. They kept the vehicle for 3 weeks. And after multiple follow ups with customer care, I was finally told that they don't know what's wrong and that they've contacted VW to find a solution.

After multiple long test and lots of fuel consumed. They have declared that the issue is with fuel adulteration.

Which is total BS. We always fill fuel from the same pump and all our vehicles get filled there. And generally they're all filled within 2 days of each other. Neither my BMW, nor my Endeavour, nor my Figo had any issues with the fuel. The BMW and VW were in fact filled on the same day. So I am at a loss as to how it can be a fuel issue.


Any way, after contact with VW, despite multiple tests they weren't able to tell what the issue was and the light kept popping up. So they have replace the entire CR (Common Rail) injection system. In warranty, of course.

Total bill on my end: 3000 odd including 1000 for diesel.

Total bill on their end: 1,84,000.

They vehicle was returned to me last week, but a hectic schedule has prevented me from updating here.

It's finally back in working condition, the gear shifts are much smoother than before, but I find that the engine has completely lost its edge! It has the same torque as my old Vento, but that was a tyre burning scorcher, and this one just feels so lethargic! Floor the throttle and it takes a good 2 seconds before it comes to life. My Endeavour accelerates faster than this car now.

Since this is being used as a chauffeur car for my mum, it'll do for now. But i guess it's time to move on from VW. I really love this brand and was even a brand promoter.. But now I'm not so confident any more.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 17:22   #8121
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 163
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Hey Rahul,

So, surprisingly there was no error code. They kept the vehicle for 3 weeks. And after multiple follow ups with customer care, I was finally told that they don't know what's wrong and that they've contacted VW to find a solution.
Not able to understand why. I had the same problem of the Check Engine light flashing. However they traced it within few minutes. They connected the ECU to a computer and generated a report which gave the error codes. It said the Oxygen level in the air intake is not normal. They checked the O2 sensor which had dust on it. After cleaning and refitting the same, the error code was gone. They gave me the car back in less than an hour. All thru this process I was sitting in the reception and watching the whole thing. Hence I feel that there is something wrong with the A.S.S. Do they have the facility to read your ECU errors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
It's finally back in working condition, the gear shifts are much smoother than before, but I find that the engine has completely lost its edge! It has the same torque as my old Vento, but that was a tyre burning scorcher, and this one just feels so lethargic! Floor the throttle and it takes a good 2 seconds before it comes to life. My Endeavour accelerates faster than this car now.
That's really bad. Isn't it a DSG? You mean the internal gear shifts?
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 18:59   #8122
BHPian
 
vinit.merchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 965
Thanked: 690 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
It's finally back in working condition, the gear shifts are much smoother than before, but I find that the engine has completely lost its edge! It has the same torque as my old Vento, but that was a tyre burning scorcher, and this one just feels so lethargic! Floor the throttle and it takes a good 2 seconds before it comes to life. My Endeavour accelerates faster than this car now.
Maybe they also fixed the famous fraudulent software code in the ECU mapping. I do not see any other reason for this actually.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 20:21   #8123
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 178
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Not able to understand why. I had the same problem of the Check Engine light flashing. However they traced it within few minutes. They connected the ECU to a computer and generated a report which gave the error codes. It said the Oxygen level in the air intake is not normal. They checked the O2 sensor which had dust on it. After cleaning and refitting the same, the error code was gone. They gave me the car back in less than an hour. All thru this process I was sitting in the reception and watching the whole thing. Hence I feel that there is something wrong with the A.S.S. Do they have the facility to read your ECU errors?



That's really bad. Isn't it a DSG? You mean the internal gear shifts?
May I know which service centre you turned up at? Did you observe anything different when the CE light came up?
When the CE light stated flashing for our car, ABRA motors just plainly said there is nothing wrong and politely told us to leave. Not confidence inspiring especially when it happens on the highway.
Turbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 15:07   #8124
BHPian
 
madnish30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 309
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hey,

Have had two visits to the service centre in the last 3 weeks :(
My 2012 TDI highline seems to be giving me a hard time... not sure if it's something to do with how it's been driven or the maintenance or it's just wear and tear which comes with age (58k KMS on the odo).

The Gear Cable broke 2 weeks ago, the advisor said it's because of a speed breaker... however I was driving the car myself that day and don't recall any bumps... cost 7k to replace the cable.

This weekend the car was again at the service centre, for replacement of brake pads and discs... cost 8k... the discs and pads are being replaced for the second time, last time being around 37k kms, the advisor said pads change is regular however, discs got worn out because the car was driven for a long time with worn out pads.

Now to my surprise, the advisor said that the some parts in the clutch assembly need replacement as the clutch is really hard and can break down anytime... he said he'll also have to open the gear box and see if the flywheel needs replacement. He said these are regular changes of parts which get worn out.

Estimate for the above is 35-50k he said.

These changes are a little daunting, the car isn't that old and is not manhandled either... is this regular for Ventos? This has disheartened me to an extent that I may consider replacing the vento and selling it without shelling out more money (clutch, flywheel, service and insurance = ~100k!!!).

Please advise... shall I look to cut losses and sell or spend the money and use the car for some more time...
madnish30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 15:46   #8125
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,712
Thanked: 1,411 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Please advise... shall I look to cut losses and sell or spend the money and use the car for some more time...
The service advisor is taking you a big royal ride buddy. Gear cable i can understand but were you personally there to inspect the discs + pads, it is impossible to wear the pads within 20k kms unless you drive like a maniac, discs are changed if they are warped or your worn out pads damage it, VW people are known to push unnecessary replacements so be vigil.

As for the clutch, if the car has driven by you and you do not ride the clutch, 60k is premature for a clutch to fail, 1.6 TDi has enormous low end torque and there is no reason to slip the clutch in city. For the clutch, get a second opinion from some independent garage, Vento has a hard clutch and it gets harder as the car ages, does not mean it is worn out, get some grease applied on clutch spring and it eases out for a month.

My Vento has done 47k and clutch is perfect, you can drive mine and compare if you want, never heard of a 58k kms old Vento TDi requiring clutch work.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 15:54   #8126
BHPian
 
madnish30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 309
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The service advisor is taking you a big royal ride buddy. Gear cable i can understand but were you personally there to inspect the discs + pads, it is impossible to wear the pads within 20k kms unless you drive like a maniac, discs are changed if they are warped or your worn out pads damage it, VW people are known to push unnecessary replacements so be vigil.

As for the clutch, if the car has driven by you and you do not ride the clutch, 60k is premature for a clutch to fail, 1.6 TDi has enormous low end torque and there is no reason to slip the clutch in city. For the clutch, get a second opinion from some independent garage, Vento has a hard clutch and it gets harder as the car ages, does not mean it is worn out, get some grease applied on clutch spring and it eases out for a month.

My Vento has done 47k and clutch is perfect, you can drive mine and compare if you want, never heard of a 58k kms old Vento TDi requiring clutch work.

The advisor did show me the discs and did show reasonable wear, but this is second disc replacement in 58k! Last one being at 37k. And I am not an expert to visually tell if it actually needed the replacement.

The pads, I am satisfied were beyond use - that's why there was a lot of noise of metal rubbing against the disc on the day i took it in for replacement. The advisor washes his hands of by saying that we advised pads change at 47k but you advised against it, which is why the discs are also now gone.

Clutch work he said is premature on this because of the way the car has been driven, but claimed 60-70k is when the clutch needs work. He went on to scare me further by saying that the clutch is in such a bad state that it can give up any day and then the car will need to be towed.

Honestly, I don't feel that the clutch is any harder, it seems pretty ok to me, not the softest - but not uncomfortable.

I do plan to take the car in at an alternate centre for the next service, but the problem is the advisor has put these remarks on record and VW has central database so any advisor will try to sell this to me.

You're right... I should show it at a garage and see what they have to say.
madnish30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 18:34   #8127
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,014
Thanked: 888 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

There used to be similar scams in the days of Ambassadors and Fiats. As you are not allowed in the service area, they would show you a damaged part and claim it is yours. There is very little you can do about that except for finding an hones A.S.S.

Regarding clutch, get a second opinion from an independent garage. There quite a few good independent garages that do Skoda work, find one and if your car is out of warranty drop A.S.S. and go to them.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 21:57   #8128
BHPian
 
mohanaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
The advisor did show me the discs and did show reasonable wear, but this is second disc replacement in 58k! Last one being at 37k. And I am not an expert to visually tell if it actually needed the replacement.


You're right... I should show it at a garage and see what they have to say.
Mine is 2011 vento TDI, 62K on odo, 4 services done, 5th service due in few months. So far I have replaced only brake pads once. Every service, they ask me to replace brake pads. Every alternate service, they asked about changing disks. I am planning to change disks in next service, no issue so far though.
No other replacements except wipers and regular service.

Please take second opinion from another service centre.
mohanaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 12:12   #8129
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

As a rule of thumb and in accordance to the VW Vento 1.6 TDi manual,
-Disc are to be replaced every 60,000 Kms
-Pads are to be replaced every 30,000 Kms

If anyone is going in for replacement of disc or pads, go in for Brembo Disc/Pads. Heard good reviews about it.

madnish30, I can't comment on clutch until tested. If you have another VW Workshop in your city, take the car to them and get a second opinion.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 13:54   #8130
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Fellas!
small issue compared to the posts above.
My young vento has a creaky arm rest. in the 6 month check up they did sort it out but the creaking is back again in a month's time. Any known fixes?
wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3929 1st December 2016 16:37
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks