Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 15th January 2016, 08:38   #8146
BHPian

Gave the car for serviced yesterday at EVM motors Kochi. Apart from normal service they skimmed the brake discs and changed a lock carrier ( holding the radiator) which had broken due to an impact ( probably by hitting a dog on the highway or going over a log of wood).
Everything was done fine except for one thing. They charged us for 4.8 litres of engine oil! And they poured in the same!!! Right now the oil level is above the A mark. What should I be doing? I don't know if the oil has frothed or not. Should I remove the extra oil? Or should I just ignore it? Need some answers real quick as I'll be doing about 100kms in the evening and will do another 600kms tomorrow.
Turbohead

Last edited by Turbohead : 15th January 2016 at 08:40.
Turbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 08:48   #8147
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Everything was done fine except for one thing. They charged us for 4.8 litres of engine oil! And they poured in the same!!!
If they have indeed poured 4.8 litres, that's 500 mL above the requirement. Get the excess oil drained ASAP and get the car towed to the service center instead of driving it. The requirement is 4.3 L for the 1.6 L CLNA diesel engine.

Not sure how the service center technicians did such a blunder!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 10:21   #8148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
If they have indeed poured 4.8 litres, that's 500 mL above the requirement. Get the excess oil drained ASAP and get the car towed to the service center instead of driving it. The requirement is 4.3 L for the 1.6 L CLNA diesel engine.

Not sure how the service center technicians did such a blunder!
Thanks.
Called up the VW Helpline and registered a complaint. Also called up the service centre and spoke to the SA and the manager (?). They claim that they always fill 4.8l and said it's normal. So we asked them to give a mail from their official email ID saying the same and assuring us that they will take responsibility in case of damages. Remember, the oil level is above level A when the engine is at running temperature. They declined and have told us that they are sending some technicians home to remove some oil. Recorded some of these conversations anyway.
Turbohead

Last edited by Turbohead : 15th January 2016 at 10:43.
Turbohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 10:22   #8149
BHPian

Quote:
They charged us for 4.8 litres of engine oil! And they poured in the same!!! Right now the oil level is above the A mark. What should I be doing? I don't know if the oil has frothed or not. Should I remove the extra oil? Or should I just ignore it?
Looks like this is a common practice across the VW service centres here in Cochin. I too had a similar experience at VW Kalamassery when my car went in for an oil change. They filled 4.5 litres of fresh oil and billed me for the same. There was some excess oil present when I checked next day morning at cold temps. I then took the help from one of the nearby FNGs and drained out the excess oil via the dipstick hole.
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag0786_crop.jpg

Brought this up to the notice of the SA later and he was of the opinion that it is perfectly normal to have excess oil as VW engines have a behavior of consuming oil at a bit higher than normal rate and in order to compensate, they do this for all cars which come for an oil change. I was truly shocked to hear that and insisted that it is a wrong practice and I would only want to fill 4.3 litres which is the recommended quantity.

Here's what is specified in the manual:
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-imag0838_crop.jpg

Request you to drive to the nearest FNG and get the excess drained out ASAP. Or if you can get a syringe + tube, you can do this yourself by inserting one end of the tube to the dipstick hole and the other end connected to the syringe. I think the latter would be best since you are not starting the car at all.

Guys, please keep a close watch on the fluid levels after service.

Last edited by BigBrad : 15th January 2016 at 10:27. Reason: Rephrasing
BigBrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 10:26   #8150
BHPian

Hello guys!
I've been going through this thread since quite a while as we are now in a car hunt after 6 years. We own a WagonR 2010 K series model, and plan to upgrade to a premium car this year by March/April.
i have shortlisted the Vento 1.6 petrol Highline, Honda City SVMT, Ford Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost.
I have seen very few ownership reviews for the 1.6 petrol, so would like to ask you guys a few questions.

1) What FE are you getting for the 1.6 petrol in normal city conditions?
2) Is the maintenance cost really high as I've heard or has it gone down after the heavy localisation by VW?
3) We plan to keep the car for about 6-7 years. Will the high cost of ownership make sense for us as we have very low running of 10k<1 year.

I have test drove the Vento and I absolutely loved it. So did my dad but he still skeptical about the VW brand tag. He believes VW will discontinue any car any time they wish. He is more inclined towards the Ecosport since he likes high seating position.
I feel the Vento and the Ecosport are more VFM compared to the 4th Gen City which I have currently ruled out and I'm waiting for the facelift in the Auto Expo 2016.
Would love to see your guys inputs.
iss1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 13:06   #8151

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Hello guys!
I've been going through this thread since quite a while as we are now in a car hunt after 6 years. We own a WagonR 2010 K series model, and plan to upgrade to a premium car this year by March/April.
i have shortlisted the Vento 1.6 petrol Highline, Honda City SVMT, Ford Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost.
I have seen very few ownership reviews for the 1.6 petrol, so would like to ask you guys a few questions.

2) Is the maintenance cost really high as I've heard or has it gone down after the heavy localisation by VW?
3) We plan to keep the car for about 6-7 years. Will the high cost of ownership make sense for us as we have very low running of 10k<1 year.

I have test drove the Vento and I absolutely loved it. So did my dad but he still skeptical about the VW brand tag. He believes VW will discontinue any car any time they wish. He is more inclined towards the Ecosport since he likes high seating position.
I feel the Vento and the Ecosport are more VFM compared to the 4th Gen City which I have currently ruled out and I'm waiting for the facelift in the Auto Expo 2016.
1. 9 to 10 kmpl in heavy Bombay traffic. Around 13 to 14 (Sometimes 15 :-D) on inner-city trips

2. I haven't really found the maintenance cost to be high, though I'm still in the free service period. I reckon you'll have to spend about 10k a year for maintenance after your free services, excluding any damaged parts you have replace that is. 10k a year on maintenance is a decent amount, I guess.
ostreichwein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 13:12   #8152
BHPian

Hi Friends,

My Rapid is 2012 make 35K on the ODO and got my third service done in November. Noticed two issues, need your valuable advise.

When I engage reverse gear, release the clutch and slightly apply accelerator I here a strange guzzzzz sound and it increases as I press the accelerator......this issue happens after driving the car for few kms and reverse up the ramp......during the sound it appears that something is slipping.

I have been now noticing this issue in the forward gears also.

Please help me understand the issue as I want to go to the service center with some knowledge on this issue.
sree5999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 13:40   #8153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Why not the Vento TSI? A far better performer and probably more efficient too than then 1.6.

I don't think the regular cost of ownership will be high. Normal service is yearly ~9-10K. In my 2+ years with the car, I have totally spent ~20K on the 2 services +4K for a cracked lock carrier. No other expenses.

Since the running is also not high, I don't think you need to worry too much about regular maintenance costs.

VW has been running with the same Polo/Vento since 2010, I don't think they will discontinue it any time soon. Also, with the launch of the new compact sedan which shares most stuff from the Polo/Vento, I don't think parts availability would be an issue.

If finalized on the 1.6, would suggest looking at the highline plus with the black package and the 835 AVN unit. Saw one in the showroom recently and looked good.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 14:21   #8154
BHPian

Quote:
Own a 2012 1.6 Vento. Have done 18k till date.

1. FE varies from 7.5-9.5, depending on traffic conditions. Best it has given till date is 13.5 on Highway.
2. A routine 10k service costs 8.5-9k atleast. That too only if you go with what is mentioned in the Service Manual. Advisors try and fleece you to the tune of 15-17k.
3, I wouldn't advise you to keep this car once it runs out of warranty. Some of the spares are obnoxiously priced. At around 7k's on the ODO, my Vento developed serious starting & very rough idling problem. There was also a bothering noise from the steering assembly over less than perfect roads. Turned out to be 3 faulty injectors & Steering Rack assembly. Though all this work was done under warranty, the parts & labour bill raised was around 80K.

If you are keen on Vento, 1.2TSi makes better sense. 1.6 is an ancient engine, and it shows its age in refinement & pulling power. Poor fuel economy being another downer. Though you plan to keep this car for long, but I must tell you the resale for this particular variant is the worst I have seen in used car market. My well kept car wont fetch anything more than 2.50-2.75L as of today. I have seen good Highline cars going anywhere between 3-3.5L.

If your father loves high seating, than strike out the Vento. It is a very low car.
ScorpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 14:41   #8155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Why not the Vento TSI? A far better performer and probably more efficient too than then 1.6.

I don't think the regular cost of ownership will be high. Normal service is yearly ~9-10K. In my 2+ years with the car, I have totally spent ~20K on the 2 services +4K for a cracked lock carrier. No other expenses.

Since the running is also not high, I don't think you need to worry too much about regular maintenance costs.

VW has been running with the same Polo/Vento since 2010, I don't think they will discontinue it any time soon. Also, with the launch of the new compact sedan which shares most stuff from the Polo/Vento, I don't think parts availability would be an issue.

If finalized on the 1.6, would suggest looking at the highline plus with the black package and the 835 AVN unit. Saw one in the showroom recently and looked good.
Well not the TSi because our budget is strictly 10L. Plus we are not a big fan of the automatics. My dealer didn't tell me anything about the highline plus model, maybe because they don't have it in stock. Currently there are huge discounts going on for the 2015 made Highline Vento. My dad's colleague bought the Highline for just under 10L. Which I feel is VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Own a 2012 1.6 Vento. Have done 18k till date.

1. FE varies from 7.5-9.5, depending on traffic conditions. Best it has given till date is 13.5 on Highway.
2. A routine 10k service costs 8.5-9k atleast. That too only if you go with what is mentioned in the Service Manual. Advisors try and fleece you to the tune of 15-17k.
3, I wouldn't advise you to keep this car once it runs out of warranty. Some of the spares are obnoxiously priced. At around 7k's on the ODO, my Vento developed serious starting & very rough idling problem. There was also a bothering noise from the steering assembly over less than perfect roads. Turned out to be 3 faulty injectors & Steering Rack assembly. Though all this work was done under warranty, the parts & labour bill raised was around 80K.

If you are keen on Vento, 1.2TSi makes better sense. 1.6 is an ancient engine, and it shows its age in refinement & pulling power. Poor fuel economy being another downer. Though you plan to keep this car for long, but I must tell you the resale for this particular variant is the worst I have seen in used car market. My well kept car wont fetch anything more than 2.50-2.75L as of today. I have seen good Highline cars going anywhere between 3-3.5L.

If your father loves high seating, than strike out the Vento. It is a very low car.
Yes it is a very low car but my dad drove it and it felt very easy to drive for him coming straight outta WagonR.
As I said, budget is strictly 10L, so can't go for the TSi, plus it's only available with the automatic.
The FE you are getting is indeed very poor. When I was abusing the car during the test drive, it continuously showing 11.8-12.5. And I was going total hardcore over the car.
Wow I didn't expect the resale value to be THIS low.
I guess I'll jump back to the City or the Ecosport.
Dad is yet to drive the Ecosport, and I am pretty sure he's going to love it. Only problem being the Titanium+ variant being too pricey and the Trend+ losing out on certain useful features. Unfortunately, these are the only 2 variants available for the Ecoboost 1.0 .
The only way I am reconsidering the Honda City is if they sought all the niggles in the 2016 facelift, and if the pricing won't break the bank.

Thanks guys for your valuable answers.
Old 15th January 2016, 15:05   #8156
BHPian

Quote:
They charged us for 4.8 litres of engine oil! And they poured in the same!!! Right now the oil level is above the A mark.
Turbohead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The requirement is 4.3 L for the 1.6 L CLNA diesel engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
They filled 4.5 litres of fresh oil and billed me for the same. There was some excess oil present when I checked next day morning at cold temps.
While VW specifies 4.3 litre as the quantity, it seems that it may not take it to level A (maximum) on the dipstick if the oil is fully drained and the filter is replaced. In my case during the first service they measured 4.3 litres filled it and when i checked after around 45 minutes (the car was standing still and not started in the time) the level was only at around 40% between maximum and minimum. i raised an objection and they drained the just replaced oil and filled it with fresh 4.3 litre of oil. This time too it only came up to the same level. I then bought a 1 litre can and got them to pour oil (a little at a time) and brought it to just below the max level mark (A). I was extremely cautious not to exceed the maximum level mark. Although i can't be sure about the exact quantity, at least another 300 ml went in before it reached the level just below A. I again checked the next day morning before starting to ensure that there is no excess oil and it was below the maximum level.

My point is that always check the oil before you take the car back, sometimes there might be excess and in some cases there might be less and you will have to top up.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 15:50   #8157
BHPian

Quote:
I guess I'll jump back to the City or the Ecosport.
Dad is yet to drive the Ecosport, and I am pretty sure he's going to love it.
Between the two, if I were you, would anyday Pick an Ecosport than the City. The biggest negative for City being its pathetic tinny build compared to ES or Vento.
ScorpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2016, 16:07   #8158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Between the two, if I were you, would anyday Pick an Ecosport than the City. The biggest negative for City being its pathetic tinny build compared to ES or Vento.
I know man! The 4th Gen is very poorly put together.
Fingers crossed and hoping for the best from the facelift. :|
Old 15th January 2016, 17:43   #8159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree5999 View Post
My Rapid is 2012 make 35K on the ODO and got my third service done in November. Noticed two issues, need your valuable advise.

When I engage reverse gear, release the clutch and slightly apply accelerator I here a strange guzzzzz sound and it increases as I press the accelerator......this issue happens after driving the car for few kms and reverse up the ramp......during the sound it appears that something is slipping.

I have been now noticing this issue in the forward gears also.
Do you mean to say that you do not hear this sound after a cold start?

Do you hear this sound only on the ramp or you hear it on the level road too? If on the ramp, do you hear it after cold start?

In forward gears: do you hear it only on the ramps? Do you hear it after cold starts?

Can you record the sound and post it here? This will enable the other members to help you better.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 16:55   #8160
BHPian

My first issue with Vento comfortline mpi.

It has been my long drive companion for the past two years and six months without any problems and the odo now stands at 12,900km.

Was planning a long trip next month so gave it for general inspection at the service centre.

Got a call from SA saying that there is a slight humming noise from the front wheels and there could be a problem with the bearings. And, it is nothing to worry now.

I told him about my long trip plan and he assured me that the noise is not very prominent and we could look at it later. I checked the rates and he said Rs2,000 each for the two front wheels.

Now, being a novice in tech matters, I want to know if something needs to be done now. I don’t hear any humming sound, or rather, there is nothing unfamiliar with the sound I am used to when driving. So, should I get it checked from an independent garage?
sreepathy is offline   Reply With Quote