Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 2nd March 2016, 06:21   #8281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostreichwein View Post
As for vibration and the rattling noise, the steering rack (Rs. 11,080) and the gear mounting (RS. 1,395) world have to be replaced. I was surprised when the SA told me that these are not covered under warranty. Have any of you guys been asked to replace these things? I feel that these ought to be covered under full warranty since damage to such parts can't be on account of usual wear .

Steering rack is for sure under warranty. I recently had my Rapid's steering rack changes under extended warranty. Also, I remember the executive quoting a much higher amount for the steering rack, more like 30k, but in any case it was not charged to me. I'm guessing the policies are same between Skoda and VW. I wouldn't believe Skoda is more customer friendly than VW!
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 10:15   #8282
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
1. As for vibration and the rattling noise, the steering rack (Rs. 11,080) and the gear mounting (RS. 1,395) world have to be replaced. I was surprised when the SA told me that these are not covered under warranty.
Steering rack, Gear mount, Engine mount are for sure covered under warranty. However seeing your car has done 2.5 year means its now on Extended warranty and not Warranty. There are slight changes between these two so make sure to grill SA about it. If he says its covered under warranty but not extended than he might be right.
Folks on Team-Bhp who has got these changed after 2 year under extended warranty can point on this more accurately.

Quote:
2. To solve the long start issue, the SA suggested a battery replacement at a cost of Rs. 5,000 Just wanted to know how long has the stock battery in your Vento lasted? Aren't batteries supposed to be covered under a limited warranty? Also, can I not simply recharge the battery rather than replacing it?

The car's done 30,000 kms in 2.5 years.
My battery for diesel vento lasted 4.5 years. However one of my friend who owns 1.6 Petrol is facing exact same problem.
- His battery replacement happen in 2 year.
- He got battery replaced from outside for saving few bucks.
- He was having long start, delayed start issue after that.
- SA who is friendly suggested to get battery checkup from outside vendor first.
- If issue is not solve than get battery installed from VW so warrenty claim can not be rejected as there is a chance something is wrong with engine itself.
- He has yet to leave his car with SA for full checkup. I will update once that happen.
karansm4u is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 16:06   #8283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
Steering rack, Gear mount, Engine mount are for sure covered under warranty. However seeing your car has done 2.5 year means its now on Extended warranty and not Warranty. There are slight changes between these two so make sure to grill SA about it. If he says its covered under warranty but not extended than he might be right.

Folks on Team-Bhp who has got these changed after 2 year under extended warranty can point on this more accurately.

My battery for diesel vento lasted 4.5 years. However one of my friend who owns 1.6 Petrol is facing exact same problem.

- His battery replacement happen in 2 year.

- He got battery replaced from outside for saving few bucks.

- He was having long start, delayed start issue after that.

- SA who is friendly suggested to get battery checkup from outside vendor first.

- If issue is not solve than get battery installed from VW so warrenty claim can not be rejected as there is a chance something is wrong with engine itself.

- He has yet to leave his car with SA for full checkup. I will update once that happen.

I have got my Rapid steering column replaced under extended warranty but the SA just called me and quoted 4.5k for the engine mount and says it is not covered under extended warranty. Did any one got the engine mount also replaced under extended warranty.
sree5999 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 19:31   #8284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree5999 View Post
Did any one got the engine mount also replaced under extended warranty.
If your car came with a hydraulic engine mount, it should be covered under warranty. My 2012 Vento came with a rubber engine mount and i got it changed at 36k kms, this being a rubber part was not covered under warranty. The cost was 1900-2000. I was told that the hydraulic mount costs well over 6000.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 22:19   #8285
BHPian

I also got my engine mount changed after 3.5 year which was rubber one and it did not come under extended warranty. However it was covered under warranty. I somehow managed to get 50% good will on mount but no discount on labour was done.

Besides Please note than do not get your mount changed if its not required. In my case engine was shaking a lot when i was starting the car. The technician straightaway asked to get Gear and Engine mount changed however my friendly SA said only get engine mount changed which is necessary and after that if i see vibrations in gear etc than only get gear mount changed. I have driven 2 more year and no need to change Gear mount till now.
karansm4u is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 20:19   #8286

Thanks, folks. I managed to get the steering rack replacement covered under full warranty and the gear mounting was covered by a 50% goodwill.

The car does feel MUCH quieter now.
ostreichwein is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 11:14   #8287
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, folks. I managed to get the steering rack replacement covered under full warranty and the gear mounting was covered by a 50% goodwill.

The car does feel MUCH quieter now.
That's great. It's good that you shared this. Other forum members can benefit if they are in this situation.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 13:41   #8288
BHPian

there are others too

Got diagnosed with the steering rack problem today. SA wanted the vehicle in the workshop for assessment. Since I have a long trip already planned, I said I will give it on my return. He said it is ok to drive the vehicle with the sound. I repeatedly asked him if it is safe, he said there won't be any issue.

Mine is a 2013 Vento petrol which has done just 13100 km till now. I am on extended warranty. My SA said it SHOULD be covered under extended warranty. But if the issue has occurred due to rust, then he said it may not come under warranty. If not under warranty, it will cost around Rs 12,000.

Confronted the service chief on the issue. He said they will have to dismantle it and see how to go about it.

Guess there is no immediate problems in going on a long trip. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by sreepathy : 10th March 2016 at 13:42.
sreepathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 14:04   #8289
BHPian

I hope the Steering Gear issue is not an infectious one...
I am shifting to Hyderabad next month & have a 2013 GT TSI which has done 26k kms.

I have just got is serviced and other than the normal servicing no other problems were observed/required attention.

I keep my fingers crossed that My GT TSI does not develop a problem for this issue...
1.2TSI7DSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 14:16   #8290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post
Got diagnosed with the steering rack problem today. SA wanted the vehicle in the workshop for assessment. Since I have a long trip already planned, I said I will give it on my return. He said it is ok to drive the vehicle with the sound. I repeatedly asked him if it is safe, he said there won't be any issue.
Unlikely that there would be an issue with the rack on account of rust, unless your car has waded through a LOT of water multiple times

Last edited by ampere : 10th March 2016 at 14:36. Reason: Edited quoted content
ostreichwein is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 14:39   #8291
BHPian

Guys there was a thread listing out the little known features on the Vento and Polo.
Can you please link me to that thread.
TIA.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 15:00   #8292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Guys there was a thread listing out the little known features on the Vento and Polo.
Can you please link me to that thread.
TIA.
I think you meant this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-quirks.html (Volkswagen Vento - User Discovered Features and Quirks)
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2016, 17:31   #8293
BHPian

Quote:
Unlikely that there would be an issue with the rack on account of rust, unless your car has waded through a LOT of water multiple times
In fact I have never done that. Vento has never seen water. All that is handled by my workhorse -- alto k10 -- which, even after five years of constant abuse, is going strong
sreepathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 00:07   #8294
BHPian

Hi, I got the delivery of my Vento TSI on Monday. Can't tell you guys, how happy I am to drive it. Got stock Alnacs replaced with Michelin. Everything is fine except for this one little issue that I am facing.
I see that the brake pedal is placed a little higher than the accelerator pedal. While Accelerating, I keep my heal on the car mat and my toe on the accelerator but I am not able to shift my toe from accelerator, to brake without lifting the heal from the floor mat. I see with just a couple of days drive I have developed pain in my right thigh. This wasn't an issue with the Manual Transmission Tata Indigo that I used to drive earlier. Am I missing anything here, what is the right way to overcome this pain? Are there others with the same issue? Any help would be appreciated.
meetzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2016, 07:13   #8295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetzap View Post
Everything is fine except for this one little issue that I am facing.
I see that the brake pedal is placed a little higher than the accelerator pedal. While Accelerating, I keep my heal on the car mat and my toe on the accelerator but I am not able to shift my toe from accelerator, to brake without lifting the heal from the floor mat. I see with just a couple of days drive I have developed pain in my right thigh. This wasn't an issue with the Manual Transmission Tata Indigo that I used to drive earlier. Am I missing anything here, what is the right way to overcome this pain? Are there others with the same issue? Any help would be appreciated.
From my experience with auto transmissions many years ago, that is how it is many others. It is designed so as a safety measure to avoid one mistakenly / inadvertently pressing both the accelerator and the brake at the same time. I could be wrong here. A quick search and looks it has been discussed in Team-BHP already for the exact same problem, albeit for another car. Here it is : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-leg-pain.html (Brake pedal too high, causing right leg pain). Hope this helps.
Electric is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote