Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2016, 08:10   #8356
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 6,370 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Since recently, the Vento 1.6 TDI I drive, had started acting weirdly. Whenever I brake, towards the end of the car stopping, the car jerks (to and fro motion) into a stop. This also happens ( vibration) if I brake from high speeds, say, 90-100 Kmph. What might be the problem? Does it has something to do with the brake pads? Because it has run 42000 kms and yet to be replaced. I am a bit worried and paranoid since the problem is concerning brakes. Please help.
In all probability this is a problem with the discs ( rotors). I have had this issue and you can see several instances of it reported in this thread and more so in the Rapid thread. Changing the pads have temporarily helped a few. Few others have got the discs skimmed which had solved the problem.Sure shot solution is to replace the pads and discs. I did this and it resolved the issue. Replacement would cost 6-7k. Skimming would be cheaper. In your case pads definitely would replacement. For the discs, whether to attempt skimming or go for replacement, you can decide based on what the service center tells you. In my case skimming was not an option from the service center and I was not keen on doing it outside.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th May 2016 at 08:12.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2016, 09:26   #8357
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 526
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Hi guys. Needing your help and advice to clear a small doubt.
Does it has something to do with the brake pads? Because it has run 42000 kms and yet to be replaced. I am a bit worried and paranoid since the problem is concerning brakes. Please help.
Looks to be a case of unevenly worn out brake pads. Get them checked and replaced. It's about time i think. (42k km)
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 11:58   #8358
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: villupuram
Posts: 268
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Thanks for the input guys. Call it miracle, but suddenly, for past two days the problem appeared to have sorted out on its own, or maybe I am assuming so at the least. I will be going for the routine 45K service by the month end. So, have planned to replace pads at that time. I have come across BHPians going for Brembo pads. Are they really worth the hype? Can I get them changed to Brembo at the VW A.S.S itself or depend on a third party garage for it?
P.S: All I care about is reliability and longevity when it comes to parts as I am not so spirited driver.
printh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 16:20   #8359
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Montreal, CA
Posts: 110
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Off late my 2012 58k run vento highline TDI clutch has become very hard. I know that generally vag cars have hard clutch, but I think I may have to change it soon. Is there any after market better / easier clutch assembly that I can choose?
I've recently got the entire clutch assembly changed and it seemed to have solved the problem temporarily but the clutch seemed to have hardened again, or may be it is just me finding the clutch hard as I drive it on a regular basis.
sweetvar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 13:11   #8360
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: TN/KA
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvar26 View Post
I've recently got the entire clutch assembly changed and it seemed to have solved the problem temporarily but the clutch seemed to have hardened again, or may be it is just me finding the clutch hard as I drive it on a regular basis.
How much did you pay for the clutch assembly and how many days did the service guys take?
Apart from hardness any other issues you had faced that made you go for a replacement?
prabhul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 17:49   #8361
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 135
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Just finished my first year service on the vento TDI(1.5) here in Bangalore (rajajinagar service station). No recall/update with reference to the emissions fiasco(for now). Wanted to keep y'all posted on the lateshht!

Cheers!
wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 19:08   #8362
BHPian
 
shifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 307
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I am in the market for an automatic sedan and I am strongly considering Vento TSI. It is close to 13 l on road in Hyd after around 70k of discounts. Now I have a Polo Petrol (HL - 2012), and have experienced 'German engineering' first hand, including the holes in the pocket when I give it for repair and servicing. But I zeroed down to Vento TSI because this is the only petrol automatic with a turbo charged engine.

The dealer didn't have a Vento TSI for TD. He instead brought the Polo GT TSI for TD and insisted that it is pretty much the same car (TSI engine + DSG gearbox). While I liked (super liked actually!) the Polo, obviously the Vento is not going to be the same. I hear that there is no 'push-back' effect in the Vento, but I am waiting to TD it before I decide.

Some questions to existing Vento TSI owners -

* How is the mileage of Vento TSI?

* How reliable is the TSI's DSG? I remember reading issues with DSG on this forum. But I am interested in knowing if this is something that has been taken care of by VW. Anybody who has recently faced issues with DSG?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 23:38   #8363
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 6,370 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post

Some questions to existing Vento TSI owners -

* How is the mileage of Vento TSI?

* How reliable is the TSI's DSG? I remember reading issues with DSG on this forum. But I am interested in knowing if this is something that has been taken care of by VW. Anybody who has recently faced issues with DSG?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
Mileage is 10-11 in typically city traffic. Can go to single digit during long bumper to bumper situations. 2 lane highways with good amount of traffic gives ~14. Typical 4 lane highways with cruising around 100kmph even in sports mode can give upto 18kmpl. My life time mileage over 27k km is 12.7. 40% city 60% highway. Mostly 2 lane highways.

On the reliability, there are generally reports of jerks in different gears. Have not heard of complete failures. Some software updates have been done. If you ask whether all the problems have been taken care of perfectly- answer is no. Are the issues reported deal breakers- here also answer is no.

The Vento Tsi may not be as agile as the polo. But still good enough to bring a smile to your face.

Hope this helps.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 17:43   #8364
BHPian
 
shifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 307
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Mileage is 10-11 in typically city traffic. Can go to single digit during long bumper to bumper situations. 2 lane highways with good amount of traffic gives ~14. Typical 4 lane highways with cruising around 100kmph even in sports mode can give upto 18kmpl. My life time mileage over 27k km is 12.7. 40% city 60% highway. Mostly 2 lane highways.

On the reliability, there are generally reports of jerks in different gears. Have not heard of complete failures. Some software updates have been done. If you ask whether all the problems have been taken care of perfectly- answer is no. Are the issues reported deal breakers- here also answer is no.

The Vento Tsi may not be as agile as the polo. But still good enough to bring a smile to your face.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! It surely helps.

The other car I am considering is T-Jet. And it comes at about 10.5 l. I will lose the automatic transmission though. Lets see.

I think I should now head to "What Car?" section instead of diluting this thread.

Thanks!
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 22:47   #8365
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 12
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhul View Post
How much did you pay for the clutch assembly and how many days did the service guys take?
Apart from hardness any other issues you had faced that made you go for a replacement?
Hi prabhul.
Clutch replacement would cost you about 35 to 50K depending on where you get it done from, i.e from outside or from the service centre. I had mine replaced because of the pedal being damn near painful to operate. Also shortly before it failed, gear slippage started occuring.

I am facing another issue of late. After driving for a while, boost seems to be quite less. I can hear the whoosh of the turbo spinning but accelaration is a lot more sluggish. It happened twice so far and today I happened to observe that stopping for about half an hour fixed the issue temporarily. Boost was far lower within twenty minutes of me driving back. Any solutions?
RaghuSuresh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 10:41   #8366
BHPian
 
premc44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kozhikode
Posts: 73
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I am in the market for an automatic sedan and I am strongly considering Vento TSI. It is close to 13 l on road in Hyd after around 70k of discounts. Now I have a Polo Petrol (HL - 2012), and have experienced 'German engineering' first hand, including the holes in the pocket when I give it for repair and servicing. But I zeroed down to Vento TSI because this is the only petrol automatic with a turbo charged engine.

The dealer didn't have a Vento TSI for TD. He instead brought the Polo GT TSI for TD and insisted that it is pretty much the same car (TSI engine + DSG gearbox). While I liked (super liked actually!) the Polo, obviously the Vento is not going to be the same. I hear that there is no 'push-back' effect in the Vento, but I am waiting to TD it before I decide.

Some questions to existing Vento TSI owners -

* How is the mileage of Vento TSI?

* How reliable is the TSI's DSG? I remember reading issues with DSG on this forum. But I am interested in knowing if this is something that has been taken care of by VW. Anybody who has recently faced issues with DSG?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
I would agree with Rajeevraj regarding the mileage. Even in the crowded two lane highways of Kerala, I have got 17-18 Km/L. What makes the car a pleasure to drive is not just the turbo charged TSI engine, but the TSI+DSG combination. Once you get to experience it, you will not worry about the mileage. I have been using a TSI / DSG Vento for the last three months. I know it is a short period and thankfully, has not faced any issue with the DSG tranny.
I have always taken an extended warranty and would strongly recommend this to you, so that you can have a worry free ownership for the next four years. It helped me with my previous Vento TDI, where I had to get all the four injectors replaced, all done on extended warranty at zero cost to me. The price you pay for that is really worth, when you think of the peace of mind it offers.
premc44 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 10:53   #8367
BHPian
 
shifu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 307
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
I have always taken an extended warranty and would strongly recommend this to you, so that you can have a worry free ownership for the next four years. It helped me with my previous Vento TDI, where I had to get all the four injectors replaced, all done on extended warranty at zero cost to me. The price you pay for that is really worth, when you think of the peace of mind it offers.
Thanks for your note. It appears that you bought Vento TSI after having owned a Vento TDI. Since you are repeating the same car, you must be really happy with it. Surely makes me a bit more confident about this car .

Yes, if I do go for TSI, I will surely take the EW.

I have now started a thread in the "What car?" section where I have listed the +ves and -ves of this car and Linea TJet. Please feel free to add your thoughts there.

Thanks!
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 10:09   #8368
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 33
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
* How is the mileage of Vento TSI?

* How reliable is the TSI's DSG? I remember reading issues with DSG on this forum. But I am interested in knowing if this is something that has been taken care of by VW. Anybody who has recently faced issues with DSG?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
The mileage in City that I get is around 11,12 kmpl
During non peak hours in City I get around 13,14 kmpl
I made a small highway trip cruising at 60 kmpl and got around 17,18 kmpl

My overall mileage shows 11 which includes 95% of city driving. I have owned the car for 3 months now.

No issues with DSG TSI combination so far. No jerks in any gear whatsoever.

I got it for 13 Lacs on road here in Pune, but would like you to consider one more possibility. Check if VW has any last years stock TSI without the new 5 inch touch screen and ask for discount on the same. If you get discounts of the order of 70,80k on old price of the car which should bring down the price to 11.5/11.6 lacs approx and then get yourself Philadelphia or Caska 8 inch touch screen navigation with Reverse Camera. So for a total of 12 lacs you'll get a better package. You will be losing out on Auto Rain sensing wipers and auto IVRM, but I think it still would be a great choice since Rain sensing wipers will only be used for 2 months during rainy season and IVRM if you drive frequently at night (the dimming wedge shaped mirror would anyway be there for you). You'll forget about Linea once you start driving TSI.
meetzap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 14:16   #8369
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 185
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Some questions to existing Vento TSI owners -

* How is the mileage of Vento TSI?

* How reliable is the TSI's DSG? I remember reading issues with DSG on this forum. But I am interested in knowing if this is something that has been taken care of by VW. Anybody who has recently faced issues with DSG?
We have a late 2011 Vento 1.6 TDI (my personal drive) and a late 2014 Vento TSi.

- You get a pretty good shove in the Vento TSI - not a hard, TDI shove, but a relentless surge of power, which just goes on & on, unlike TDI shove which is only in a narrow power band, and this lends to an incredible driving experience. Nothing else compares to this anywhere close to this price range, in fact, even if you spend quite a bit more. I've driven the Polo TSI as well, and honestly I couldn't tell the difference - I was not hammering it, so I guess in normal driving, your experience should be similar.

- 14-16kmph in Delhi Gurgaon, with semi-enthusiastic driving and a fair bit of rush hour traffic. Higher if you're on the expressway.

- It seems VW has pretty much nailed the DSG issues. We've never had an issue. I'm very friendly with a lot of folks at my service station, and from what I hear, they haven't had a DSG failure issue since the old Jetta. From what I hear, even the jerkiness issue for which a software update has been issued is apparently very rare. Over the years, these guys have becomes friendly enough to even give me insider dope, so I'll take their word on this.

- I also suspect the quality control issues at VW have been fixed. My 2011 car had lots of issues, small & big, in the first year - after which, it's worked flawlessly. With the TSI (late 2014), there hasn't been one issue.

As, everyone has suggested, take extended warranty, and you should be good. I would strongly recommend it. Let me know if there are any other queries. All the best!
bosporus is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:19   #8370
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 303
Thanked: 131 Times
Default

That extended warranty saved me a lot of heartburn.

Over a period of 2 months between October 2015 and January 2016, our 2012 Vento TDI MT HL suffered a failed AC compressor; a failed AC condenser; injector failure (twice - one pair each time so I wound up with all 4 new in the end); ABS sensor failure; and coolant pump failure (with complete loss of coolant).

The extended warranty ran till Feb 2016, it wound up saving me a huge pile of money.

By that point we had already decided to sell the Vento and upgrade to a Jetta or the new XUV500 W10AT AWD, so when the car was sold, the buyer got brand new injectors, AC condenser and compressor, ABS sensors and coolant pump.

It almost felt as though the car, having resigned itself to leaving us, had decided to rectify all major fail points prior to sale, saving us a lot of embarrassment.

Imagine if all those failures had occurred just after sale, when the extended warranty had expired, instead of just before sale, when we had the warranty.
pillainp is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3930 3rd December 2016 15:51
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks