Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 22:12   #8461
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Hi Folks,

Yes agree they have changed a lot of stuff and I think it might be needed as well because of the way some noise was propping up from suspension. The suspension parts are for all the 4 corners.

How do I take the picture of 6RF513025A its already installed, if you could suggest I will take a picture and post. I own a 8 year old SX4 and believe me not a single penny spent on non regular wearable parts and its just great. I had my Zen for 12 years again no single expense on parts . Just hope no major expenses come on my Vento and I am able to drive peacefully
for another 50-60K Kms, come on Rs50K equals to Rs1/Km if it goes over 50K kms here on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post
I am not too surprised by the service bill amount. They seem to have changed a lot of components in one go, it's just that. It should actually cost you less in the long run, if I may, especially when it comes to the suspension components.

By the way, in your attached pictures, I saw they replaced two shock absorbers. They seem to be the rear ones, looking at the part number mentioned "6RF513025A".

I am actually very intruiged by this part number. It seems to be a localized variant of the sports chassis rated shock absorbers, with part number " 6R0513025A".

If you don't mind, could you click a few pictures of the rear shock absorbers installed in your car. I would like to see the markings or stickers on them.

P.S. I had written to VW India about wrongly installing the shock absorbers installed in recent cars, into the old cars with different shock absorbers (sports chassis rated). I'm wondering if they have paid heed to that and localized the correct shock absorbers for earlier cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murajith View Post
Fragile AC vents are a common issue. In my case, one of it broke while at service center (i specifically check these before and after service) and caught it while taking delivery. They graciously replaced both (another one had broken earlier) at no extra cost

Steering rack issue seems to a frequent problem then. I also had steering rack issue and was pushed for replacement at my cost. Wrote back to CRM, asking for a confirmation that Rack replacement is not covered under Extended warranty. CRM replied back saying it is covered under warranty and got the same replaced.

I see yours is a 5 year old one, and hence out of warranty.

However, others who are still under extended warranty, insist for clarification before replacing parts at your cost.

I haven't faced power window, boot switch issue (Keeping fingers crossed). However, i had stuck fuel lid opener issue and again that was replaced under warranty.

Yes I completely forgot even my fuel lid gets stuck half of the time lol. Are there any other AC vent models which can be used and are sturdy if anyone knows?


Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
What is this steering rack issue exactly? Is it common?

Hearing for some time now, but missed reading from the forum on what this lock cylinder lubrication could be?

Why do they really want to measure the vehicle front and rear?

Why did they want to change the headlamp mounting and hood silencer (engine noise insulator under the bonnet)!

I guess track control arm = lower arms. IIRC, in my old Baleno, it used to go kaput frequently and the original Suzuki part costed ~6k a piece.

Is 25k for suspension overhaul justified when compared to other cars of the same class? But looking at the bill, this is not just overhaul, but almost a complete replacement of the front suspension. Shocks x 2, lower arms x 2, shock stopper x 2, connecting link x 2. What have they really retained? The coil springs alone?
Yes more than overhaul many parts of all the 4 suspensions are changed, bit technical for me to understand without doing a deep study on the subject.

Engine noise insulation was completely worned out so it was changed and not Engine noise in Cabin is low.

Steering Rack issue is very common in Vento 2.5 years back my steering rack was replaced free under warranty. Now again it has gone bust and it will cost me 15K now, basically because of Rack going Kaput steering will make noises when going over pot hole and gets a bit stuck sometimes and not very smooth.

More expenses that I have to do ~15K for steering, 3K power window switch, 2K boot lid switch. Another 20K on the already 50K I spent its crazy expensive, if it continues I will think of replacing the car. And lets not even talk about the AC vents, the 4 OE vents would cost around 30K if I am correct

Does anyone know any good local garages who are expert in VW vehicles, it would be helpful specially for non critical part.
niteshsharmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 09:44   #8462
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 87
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
Hi Folks,

Yes agree they have changed a lot of stuff and I think it might be needed as well because of the way some noise was propping up from suspension. The suspension parts are for all the 4 corners.

How do I take the picture of 6RF513025A its already installed, if you could suggest I will take a picture and post. I own a 8 year old SX4 and believe me not a single penny spent on non regular wearable parts and its just great. I had my Zen for 12 years again no single expense on parts . Just hope no major expenses come on my Vento and I am able to drive peacefully
for another 50-60K Kms, come on Rs50K equals to Rs1/Km if it goes over 50K kms here on.
The invoice does make it seem, the service centre was inclined towards billing as much as possible. I can see they even charged you the labour charges for removing the coil springs. Going by the shock absorber part numbers, which indicate the rear ones, there is no need to remove the rear coil springs to replace the shock absorbers. They even charged you for AC disinfectant and other optional things. The carrier is usually changed if there is any physical damage to it.

I would say your front struts and ball joints (swivel joints) may need to be changed in some time if they have not been changed so far. The cost of one ball joint is over 10K, excluding labour charges. This is something, I believe, is a great example of overcharging. The same ball joint is available in the aftermarket from Lemforder for Rs. 1800 a unit, with the embossed VW part number machined away, from the bottom.

The clutch kit is really really expensive too, for a car of this segment. Blame the high levels part sharing in the VW group. I think 25K without flywheel, and 45K with it.

Anyway, as you know, the suspension, brakes are just regular wear and tear components that seem to have been replaced. You would have certainly saved a lot if you had the suspension overhaul done from an independent garage. Mainly in terms of the labour charges, but also in cost of parts. They would have replaced the control arm bushings instead of the control arms. The sway bar links are available for cheap in the aftermarket from TRW, costing about 1500 a pair. They are not the OE suppliers to VW for this part, but a reputed brand nonetheless.

Maintaining a VW is certainly not cheap, but when a VW is capable of saving your life over most other cars from the same segment that are sold here, it seems worth it to me.

By the way, you should be able to click the pictures of the shock absorbers from the wheel well, or just holding your phone/camera below the bumper and aiming for the wheel. Would like to see the pictures, if you can get them.
halfbytecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 10:52   #8463
BHPian
 
AutoInt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 116
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
And lets not even talk about the AC vents, the 4 OE vents would cost around 30K if I am correct

Does anyone know any good local garages who are expert in VW vehicles, it would be helpful specially for non critical part.
The AC vents would not cost you 30K. It would cost you max of 5K including labor for all four vents. The AC vents are not of good quality and if you apply little more pressure it breaks. I replaced 3 of them (2 side ones and 1 center ones).

You can refer to this thread for VW AC Vents.

I am also looking for local FNG who could handle VW cars in Bangalore.
AutoInt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 16:07   #8464
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 21,358
Thanked: 18,821 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
Even I think I might have been taken for a ride. While the SA asked my permission before conducting the job, he stated that all these parts are worn out and need urgent replacement.
While the SA has certainly pulled a few standard fast-ones on you (eg. AC disenfectant, UV, etc) -- I don't think you've been fleeced as badly as el lobo 6061 makes it out to be.

My Vento TDI has done ~50,000 and I'm in the same situation as you. 2 leaky shocks & a steering rack that's making noises on bumps.

I've also been told my discs need replacement (in addition to the pads), but I've not looked at them myself as yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
Steering Rack issue is very common in Vento 2.5 years back my steering rack was replaced free under warranty. Now again it has gone bust and it will cost me 15K now, basically because of Rack going Kaput steering will make noises when going over pot hole and gets a bit stuck sometimes and not very smooth.
Is this for repair or replacement?

Does anyone have any official figures on the cost of a new Steering Rack?

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2016 at 16:23.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 18:02   #8465
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
While the SA has certainly pulled a few standard fast-ones on you (eg. AC disenfectant, UV, etc) -- I don't think you've been fleeced as badly as el lobo 6061 makes it out to be.

My Vento TDI has done ~50,000 and I'm in the same situation as you. 2 leaky shocks & a steering rack that's making noises on bumps.

I've also been told my discs need replacement (in addition to the pads), but I've not looked at them myself as yet.



Is this for repair or replacement?

Does anyone have any official figures on the cost of a new Steering Rack?
Hi Rehaan,

I was given approx quote of Rs 11-12K for the part plus labor and taxes so total around 15K. Seems like there are common issue with Ventos, steering rack, shocks and steering rack + many other smaller issues. Hope there aren't any engine issues going forward.

Do you know any local garage in Mumbai fit for VW? Cheers.
niteshsharmab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 16:35   #8466
BHPian
 
msd63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 89
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Recently my car had minor body repairs at a VW service centre. Everything else was fine with the car. When I got my car back I noticed the engine check light on while driving. The car was taken back to the centre and after days of testing I get a call from the SA saying that a glow plug has been damaged and all 4 need to be replaced costing me around 8k. Is this common? Does the engine check light come on if glow plug is damaged? Why should it happen after the car goes in for some other repair unconnected to the engine? I am a bit sceptical about the service centres in terms of their honesty and ethics.
msd63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 12:25   #8467
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 189
Thanked: 103 Times
Default

Any news about VW/Skoda dieselgate recall? It was supposed to start by mid-july 2016. I havent got a call yet from my Skoda dealer.
kiran_cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 12:48   #8468
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 21,358
Thanked: 18,821 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Does anyone have any official figures on the cost of a new Steering Rack?
Thought I'd share these prices here for reference.

They are from Shetty Motors, at Opera House:
Steering Rack - 11078 - 12800
Lower arm bush & ball joint - 950 + 2100
Front brake pad - 3700 / 2700 (2 types)
Front brake disc - 5500
Front shock absorber - 4900
Front shock buffer kit - 2600
Rear shock absorber - 3550x2
Rear shock buffer kit - 550x2
I think all are for VW branded parts (not "oe"). Will re-confirm.


Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
Do you know any local garage in Mumbai fit for VW? Cheers.
Let me get back to you on this, depending on how my current experience goes

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th August 2016 at 12:41.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2016, 21:35   #8469
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 20
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

These prices look similar to what the ASS charged me. So what's the benefit of buying from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thought I'd share these prices here for reference.

They are from Shetty Motors, at Opera House:

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th August 2016 at 12:38. Reason: Shortening quoted post
niteshsharmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 08:11   #8470
BHPian
 
negativeH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 180
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Guys, my internal boot release button has stopped working. Boot can only be unlocked using the key now. (Have a TL = no remote).
Popped the door pad open to check for a loose wire or something, but the connection seemed good.

I guess since the key is working, the lock is good? What could be the cause - bad fuse? Boot Relay?
Don't wanna go to the WS and waste half a day.... :(
negativeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 12:41   #8471
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 21,358
Thanked: 18,821 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
These prices look similar to what the ASS charged me. So what's the benefit of buying from them.
VW parts without the pain of VW A.S.S!

Advantage being you can have the original VW parts installed at a friendly neighborhood garage you trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Guys, my internal boot release button has stopped working. Boot can only be unlocked using the key now. (Have a TL = no remote).
Am not familiar with the Trendline. Is it a mechanical boot-release inside the cabin that needs to be pulled, or is it like the Highline (a small electronic switch that just needs to be lifted slightly)?

Once you tell me this, I'll try to advise you further.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 15:42   #8472
BHPian
 
negativeH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 180
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Am not familiar with the Trendline. Is it a mechanical boot-release inside the cabin that needs to be pulled, or is it like the Highline (a small electronic switch that just needs to be lifted slightly)?

Once you tell me this, I'll try to advise you further.
It's the same electric switch release as in the HL.
negativeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 16:35   #8473
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 21,358
Thanked: 18,821 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
It's the same electric switch release as in the HL.
Ahh. Two things you could do:
1) Check fuses
2) Stand near the boot and have someone operate the switch. Do you hear anything? If you do - it could be a mechanical obstruction or an issue with the actuator.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 14:44   #8474
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 55
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Guys, I have some problem with by central AC vents. They were working yesterday night but today morning central vents are not throwing air. I turned blower to max changed direction for air flow but nothing helped. Corner vents are working perfectly fine.
I have Vento Highline 2013 model. Any suggestion what might have happened.
vineet1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 15:53   #8475
BHPian
 
pixantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 363
Thanked: 370 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet1712 View Post
Guys, I have some problem with by central AC vents. They were working yesterday night but today morning central vents are not throwing air. I turned blower to max changed direction for air flow but nothing helped. Corner vents are working perfectly fine.
I have Vento Highline 2013 model. Any suggestion what might have happened.
Try rolling the two rollers situated between the vents upwards. Kids may have switched them off playfully. But you may know that already....
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3929 1st December 2016 16:37
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks