Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 10th October 2010, 16:23   #856
Senior - BHPian

Must be a one-off case. But guys, there is NOTHING like German reliablity or Teutonic reliability anymore. The cars are produced IN INDIA by INDIANS and will be as reliable/unreliable (however you want to put it) as a Toyota or a Honda or even a Maruti. You can't get EVERYTHING at these prices. There is going to be some cost cutting somewhere. Agreed, they function on tighter tolerances, but that 'hallowed' marque kind of reliability is hard to obtain at this cost and at this speed of production. And these are NEW models in India. We still need to see how they hold up against the exacting Indian conditions.
My cousin wants to book one after shraadh. I am against it, but he is bent on taking the delivery from the first batch that ships to Mumbai from his particular dealer. I will make sure I update this thread with details.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 16:38   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
A friend in my building got delivery of his Vento day before yesterday. And yesterday a flatbed truck came and took it away. The reason? Smoke coming from the rear brakes. Apparently there is a crack somewhere

German reliability anyone?
Oh man, poor owner :( Hopefully nothing untoward happened when the car was being driven.

But thats the thing, VW talk about the build quality, not the reliability. I do hope this is a one-off case and not the norm with VW's.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 17:02   #858
Distinguished - BHPian

It's not nothing going wrong, it's how it's dealt with that makes a good company.

So far, the response has been quick. Dippy, do keep us informed on the progress!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 17:17   #859
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Must be a one-off case. But guys, there is NOTHING like German reliablity or Teutonic reliability anymore. There is going to be some cost cutting somewhere.

+1

I felt that in the first test drive i took and i reported here that it felt more of a European car "Generic" than a true blood German. The thing is that the badge sells and VW already has a kind of good image in India as the owners of Skoda among others.

Vento is a nice car but it does not feel German at best it feels European it lacks something but its ok at the price point i guess.

PS: If anyone is wondering i know Germany is in Europe there is a big difference in German and run of the mill European cars.
ajai_dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 19:41   #860
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey but I dont agree with this view. If VW (or for that matter any other brand in any other sector) is selling a product they will ensure the quality keeping in terms with there brand value and standards. Just because its made in India doesnt mean its quality is at par with say a Tata or a Maruti. Ofcourse cost cutting is there but I dont mind them putting in a rubber tubing made in India rather then Germany and giving me a product under 10 lakhs.
A company like theres would know that a bad product or bad service will ensure a certain death for them in a booming indian car market. Take for ex Fiat- they make such wonderful cars but are still basically struggling. On the other hand Toyota is able to sell a so called " underpowered altis" and " Innova like fortuner for 20 lakhs" like a 10 rupee candybar.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 20:44   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's not nothing going wrong, it's how it's dealt with that makes a good company.
+1. Fully agree. It happens. What matters is how they (VW) clean it up and their future will depend on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Must be a one-off case. But guys, there is NOTHING like German reliablity or Teutonic reliability anymore. The cars are produced IN INDIA by INDIANS and will be as reliable/unreliable (however you want to put it) as a Toyota or a Honda or even a Maruti. You can't get EVERYTHING at these prices.
1. Is German really 'reliable'?. Many users say, they are not when compared to their Japenese counterparts and they buy german machines for the fun of it.

2. To cut cost, if they decide to take away some features (E.g. USB, Aux and Steering controls in Vento), most folks wouldn't mind that much. But if they bring down the basic quality and reliability, that wont be acceptable to the masses. Being said that I hope this is a one-off case and they set an example as far as customer satisfaction is concerned.

3. Lastly, I am not sure if the prices are low here in India. Guess, I can buy a Jetta in US for the kind of money that I pay for a Vento in India (with some left for a holiday). I hope the input cost here is also not that high to justify these high prices.
motorhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 21:51   #862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
A friend in my building got delivery of his Vento day before yesterday. And yesterday a flatbed truck came and took it away. The reason? Smoke coming from the rear brakes. Apparently there is a crack somewhere

German reliability anyone?
I think VW might have to do something about the brakes, even theragingbull had an issue with the rear brakes on the Polo. I wouldnt be surprised if the brakes on the Vento are the same.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 23:42   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

So far, the response has been quick. Dippy, do keep us informed on the progress!
Don't quite agree with you.

The first aspect is the quality and reliability of the product. This kind of issues does not speak great volumes of VW's relaibility and quality. We don't mince words when a Tata or a Fiat car has this sort of issues.I am sure if the same thing would have happened to a Tata car, the reaction would have been very different and people would say things like - Tata motors do not have any QC and blah blah. Why should it be any different for VW, just because it is German company?

The second aspect is the customer service which you talk about and yes, it is equally important but not the only thing.

Last edited by adimicra : 10th October 2010 at 23:44.
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 00:03   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, It is certainly true that quality control should be effective.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 00:05   #865

+1

What is quality without reliability? If VW A** turns out to be good, that is a bonus. But IMHO I would rather say "My car is great and A** is OK, rather than the A** is great and car is OK".

It is too early to pass judgment on the overall quality of the vento though. I bad apple doesn't make the entire produce bad.

-lc

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

The first aspect is the quality and reliability of the product. This kind of issues does not speak great volumes of VW's relaibility and quality. We don't mince words when a Tata or a Fiat car has this sort of issues.I am sure if the same thing would have happened to a Tata car, the reaction would have been very different and people would say things like - Tata motors do not have any QC and blah blah. Why should it be any different for VW, just because it is German company?

The second aspect is the customer service which you talk about and yes, it is equally important but not the only thing.
lonecrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 00:06   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead5 View Post
Lastly, I am not sure if the prices are low here in India. Guess, I can buy a Jetta in US for the kind of money that I pay for a Vento in India (with some left for a holiday). I hope the input cost here is also not that high to justify these high prices.
1) Input cost are same or Comparatively low in India.
2) Labour cost are extremely low. Operators working on the line continuously for 8 hrs a day get paid only 3500-5000 / month.
3) Profit margins are good I guess but cant compare it with that of US.
4) However the biggest problem is TAX. A for sedans I believe its 20% (correct me if i am wrong). But that still wont bring down Jetta's price to Vento's territory.

But compared to other cars in this segment, Vento is very reasonably priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

All cars have problems. There are a lot of problems with i20's steering, Some problems with Ritz engine seizeure, numerous problems from TATA , Nano fire) , some linea overheating problems. Toyota had a series of recalls, Honda also had some. But the real problems are Swift body rattling, Skoda's AC compressor.
So lets not call it a day here. Lets wait and watch.

However it is always safe not to buy cars from the 1st lot. But as you keep on waiting no doubt the bugs are removed but also cost cutting takes place in certain areas. Hoping they are not as risky it is still better to buy a proven product.
But it is so hard to resist the new kid in town isn't it.

Last edited by oxyzen : 11th October 2010 at 00:08.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 00:47   #867
Senior - BHPian

I am not passing a judgement about VW's quality and reliability. It is too early to say that. I am saying that quality and reliability of the product is as important (or more) as customer service and A.s.s.
I hope this is a one-off case! We need several brands in India with good levels of quality so that the customer has more choice. For example, when I decide to upgrade my car (may be after 4-5 years) my choice among the current cars in the Skoda Laura with DSG but I will think a 100 times before buying it because of Skoda's not-so-goo d reliability and bad A.S.S. I hope VW does not follow Skoda so that at least I (or anyone) will have more choices in the market because they, in general, make sturdy cars which give immense driving pleasure and advanced technology (TSI, DSG etc.)
Reading the Polo ownershp threads in this forum ( multiple incidents of break jamming, one turbo going kaput which is not corrected in 2 months etc) and now this incident does not inspire confidence about VW's reliability etc
adimicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 09:06   #868
BHPian

Any car can have a defect, be it a Toyota or a Tata. Initial production niggles are bound to be there in any newly launched product. That is why it makes a lot of sense to buy a car a little later, than immediately after its launch, so that all the little problems and service reports are out in public to make a judgement. But I know there are many out there who prefer to have the first newly launched car in their garages just for that kick.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 23:32   #869
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Why dont we see a ownership thread on TBHP yet? Dont the owners feel excited enough with their Ventos?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 01:56   #870
BHPian

Finally saw her - in white. An awesome sight - gave me the same emotions as the Linea, only much more solid and well proportioned.

Then within a few minutes, I reminded myself, since the closest dealer/service is outside of 10 KMs radius, its' an absolute NO for the moment.
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote