Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 13th January 2011, 19:33   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Smaller yet significant

Quote:
Only the people in the know stop and stare...or take pictures

This person who "knew" is actually my friend!! He posted these pics on his facebook profile. For a moment when I looked at these pics I thought that he was actually messing around and had posted pics straight off team-bhp and then I saw this photo.

And on topic: What a car!! The Sunday Picnic Drift Machine.
needmorebhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 19:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X : Test Drive & Review

Good review and nice detailed stage wise pics

I have always been a fan of the EVO, but find the CBU prices to be a bit of a damper. Leaving the good things aside, I personally felt the door trims seem to ordinary for a car like an Evo, the chrome accent on the gear console, could have probably been gun metal or something

Also, is it possible for someone to tell Mitsu to stop putting those knobs for the ignition starter. Dont they know there are buttons also for the same.

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 13th January 2011 at 19:46.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 19:44   #33
NFS
BHPian

@rehaan, nice review and wonderful details that you captured. Envy you on the opportunity to test drive Evo X. Awesome details here and appreciate you to keep writing like this.

Picture quality was good and wonderful one liner explanations along with it helped me understand what you meant by each picture. All in all good!

About Evo X, would want one, but toooo pricey now, may be when Mitsubishi starts local manufacture, we might see more afford-ability on such cars for people like me. Looks like the way how the industry is going, we will soon witness supercars and head turners even in villages.
NFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 20:10   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Steering Feel

Fantastic review Rehaan. Sums up the car perfectly.

The car is a really something and will keep the lucky owner entertained for a long time. The way is goes round corners is nothing like I've experienced before. You can feel the car is a constantly adjusting itself to get you out of trouble. In a way you are spoiled because you can throw the car around and get away with poor driving technique. The speeds we did on public roads were a 'walk in the park' for it and I could feel that it was capable of a lot more performance that can only be experienced on a race track.

I also got a ride in a Gypsy on the same dirt track and 10 seconds into the ride I had even more respect for the Evo's off road manners and brilliant suspension. The ride in the gypsy rearranged my internal organs and my already sore spinal cord felt like it was jabbed with a spear. The EVO in comparison just smothered the bumps, ruts and craters

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
I still dont quite understand the logic behind a 4 cylinder engine in such a high state of tune rather than giving it a V or inline 6 ? Refinement would have increased by leaps & bounds
In addition to the rally rules, a 4 cyl engine would be a lot more compact and light compared to a V6. Having a turbo give you tremendous mid-range torque compared to a high revving NA engine. A V6 will not even fit in most Civic sized cars and even it it did, the car would end up nose heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
I am very much surprised that you found the steering very light.
We were also quite surprised and trying to reason why it is so. But for sure the steering lacks the sharpness, feel and feedback found in even the Civic I drove few days prior much less a BMW. Also had some slop in the 'on-center' position sort of like you find in old school SUVs.

Last edited by Mpower : 14th January 2011 at 18:58.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 20:25   #35
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot for the comments guys. Even though this is not a "mass interest" car, i knew there would be some of you who would be very keen to know about it - and thats why we put this review up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Query: You mentioned left side ORVM is smaller than right side and a bit angled more. Did you eventually find out why?
I can't imagine any major aerodynamic advantage being worth having to manufacture different mirror housing for RHD and LHD cars -- so nope. Still a mystery. Its such a minor difference too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Or for this price we should have got the FQ-360.
I feel that way too. If you're paying massive duty, may as well throw on a few HP! That might even help give it a kick in the straight-line department and help justify the price.However, as GTO pointed out, the FQ (330/360) versions are only available in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
..they'd be less shocked if you say that you bought a civic for 55lac rather than a lancer...
LOL. So true, with Honda's pricing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
# Do the ORVMs have electric retract? Didn't find a switch in the snaps.

# Does the parking sensor have a visual display?

# How's the steering to hold/grip? It doesn't seem to have the contoured zones to place the thumbs. By the looks of it I'm a bit disappointed. The Cedia Momo steering will possibly evoke more passion
> Non electric-retractable ORVMs

> Sorry for the confusion. There is NO parking sensor - its just like a reversing horn heard on the inside. Will rephrase my original point.

> Personally, i liked the grip and feel of the steering wheel. Its a soft smooth leather. Not at all slippery. If you notice, most rally cars (or rally inspired cars) don't have big lumps, bumps and grips on the steering. Pro rally cars are perfectly smooth circles, sometimes with a marker for "straight-ahead" position. I think this has to do with the fact that a spinning steering sliding through your fingers is easier when its smooth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Should have used GotBHP sticker on the boot
That was one of the two options - but this colour combo looked better. Plus i think this is pretty apt too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I know the EVO is in a league of its own, but how would this compare with an A4 - 3.2FSI QUATTRO ? ( which incidentally is far far cheaper )
AWD, 4-doors, similar price -- yes. This was probably the only car we could think of in India that came in the vicinity of the EVO! However, i haven't driven the FSi so unfortunately cannot comment....yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Superb and detailed review. Does the phoren version comes with rear wipers? Maybe the can if for that? This one can be added to my dream garage though i would still prefer a version or 2 older if they are available off the shelf.
Hey good point Jaggu, though i haven't seen a rear wiper on the X. ("Can't even see out of the rear anyway" lol).

The IX wouldn't be a bad choice at all. It seems to be faster than the X in almost all the tests i've seen!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th January 2011 at 20:32.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 20:36   #36
BANNED

Now this is what i call a great review! Thanks a lot Rehaan, great pictures! I was looking forward to this one. I personally feel that us Indians are accustomed to the idea that the lancer is a normal sedan just like the honda city. Paying 50 lacs for the car is just not worth it though the idea of owning the evo thrills me
But there are many die hard evo fans out there. So lets wait and see!
DMehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 20:48   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am very much surprised that you found the steering very light.
We were surprised too! Let me just define the way i've used the terms :

Weight : How easy/hard it is to turn the steering. (Think PS vs non-PS).
>> Was a bit lighter than a Fiesta or Civic, though not as light as your average EPS-hatchback

Feel / Sharpness : Directness, turn-in, response
>> Not super impressive nor go-kart (or M3) direct, but par for the course and goes where you point it pretty darn qiuck. (Part of this is also due to the softer suspension)

Feedback : Feeling the bumps, corners and what the front tyres are doing - through the steering.
>> None.

Quote:
I know a guy who returned the SST and bought a Manual. His reason was different, he felt that the SST was too slow for him!
Surprisingly, some owners don't know about Super-Sport mode! Though how he defines fast is a personal thing i guess. Can't blame a guy for shifting to the manual

Quote:
Below is a quote from one of the auto magazine....
To be honest, some of the international EVO X reviews don't perfectly line up with our review. Not sure why (specs, different relative points of reference, etc). Some parts, especially the steering are usually quite different.

Just a few hours back i finally saw a review that echoes our thoughts on the steering and car's feel perfectly. That too, from "EVO" magazine. (I've made a few phrases bold for emphasis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by from evo.co.uk
And what does all this leave you with once you actually settle down to driving? A slightly unsatisfying car, I’m afraid. Somewhere inside the Evo X is the brilliantly pointy, adjustable chassis that has been improving for nine generations. But Mitsubishi has tried to civilize the tenth gen and it’s missed the mark. The steering is more direct than the Impreza’s and therefore initially nicer, but you very soon realise that it has no real feel. For a car that you want to drive on its nose this is not good, because you just don’t have the confidence to throw it into corners. It feels up on tiptoes and it’s more instantly sensitive and adjustable than the STI but you can’t enjoy it because you feel like you’re controlling what’s going on underneath you by remote. It really is like playing a computer game.....
SOURCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk83 View Post
Rehaan, why would EVO X give an electronic steering? Is it the changing tastes - shifting towards video-gamish experience in real-world driving too?
When i said something along the lines of electronic feel / steering, i meant due to the computer's intervening.
Let me know what line you're referencing and i'll expand on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
This person who "knew" is actually my friend!! He posted these pics on his facebook profile..
Lone rider on the Aamby valley road on a weekday, RJ plates, helmet. He didn't seem to react to the TBHP stickers, but I figured he'd somehow find his way to TBHP and hence told Dippy to snap a pic of him snapping a pic (ha, a photo within a photo - inception!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
...I personally felt the door trims seem to ordinary for a car like an Evo, the chrome accent on the gear console, could have probably been gun metal or something..
To be honest, the piano black finish doesn't photograph well. Its better than it looks, but yes, its not very lively or sporty. A bit muted.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th January 2011 at 13:02.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 21:35   #38
BHPian

Awesome Review. Applause Rehaan ..Dil se..

The Evo has always been my dream car when majority of the Janta have always seen upon the Merc's, Audi's and Beemers as theirs..But this price tag is just blasphemous, is it really worth 50lac plus?
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 23:05   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

From the very short drive of the EVO, the significant points that really showed up were (1) the power (2) the bucket seats are a bit uncomfortable for "healthy" people (3) the steering feedback was not satisfactory and (4) height adjustability for the seats is sorely missed.

Still, this was a great experience. And a completely new experience for me.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 08:45   #40
BHPian

An absolutely detailed review!
Reading through the sections, I felt like I just test drove the Evo.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 09:19   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I hate you guys! and that too on a dirt track!!!
+ 1 to that and to all who drove it.

Great review.

Few things which I thought is needed for an Evo; brighter colors, the warranty( are they scared about how the car will do on Indian roads?), price!

If they had priced it at 25-30lac, I guess they sure would have more buyers. Those who get Merc/Audi/BMW should like this better as it will sit 5 in comfort.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 09:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Very nice detailed review / report.

The EVO is way too overpriced for India. 50 lacs ex showroom. What were they thinking ?
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 11:05   #43
BHPian

Amazing detailed review and pictures. It seems you guys really had a great time testing it.

The price tag will not go down with the indian buyer very well. But then its not meant for the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What you won't:
• No steering feedback, not a very interactive driving experience
Wasn't expecting this. I was also expecting telescopic steering and drivers seat height adjustments, especially since its a driver oriented car.

My question: Warranty is short but despite this, is HM equipped to serivce this or you would have to leave the car in the workshop for days together?

It would be interesting to see how many HM can sell. Also, IMO it looks like a depreciation disaster. Pre-owned Evos wouldnt make a bad deal. But its too early to say.
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 11:59   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Thanks a lot guys!

Awesome! Simply Awesome guys. High time, we introduce a 10 point rating scale in T-BHP.

Thanks Rehaan, Mpower and Dippy for the superb job. I am sure the editing took a lot time and effort, and it shows in the review.

Quote:
• No intercooler spray. That’s the STi’s domain.
Can you please explain what this is?

Quote:
• There’s rumours that the next gen EVO XI will be a diesel hybrid, due to ever tightening emissions regulations!
Man, Lucifer has already conquered our small world of family hatchbacks and now what, an Evo!

I somehow prefer the Evo IX to this, maybe just because of the familiar 'Lancer' face from the good old WRC days.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 12:14   #45
BHPian

Fantastic review Rehaan and others.
@JKDas, I am also wondering about the warranty part, I think HM/Mitsubishi will put away even the enthusiast with such warranty.
shyaGO is offline   Reply With Quote