Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 1st April 2011, 12:26   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review

IMHO, the old i10 (which I own) may not be as great a looker as a Swift, but unless the Swift has at least alloys, you can't say that they're miles apart.
Between the new i10 and the present Swift, the new i10 looks way fresher and contemporary.

I agree with supremebaleno. The Jazz is the best looking hatch. The i20 is rather bulbous for some people to digest.
OT:
@Automatic fan: You just made me fall out of my chair with laughter!! I do not think the Estilo and the Jazz look even remotely similar.

Anyway, I have a doubt;
I believe the i10 K2 AT is available in only 1 Sportz Variant, is it the normal Sportz or the Sportz Opt. with the driver airbag???
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 16:44   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
I agree with supremebaleno. The Jazz is the best looking hatch. The i20 is rather bulbous for some people to digest.
OT:
@Automatic fan: You just made me fall out of my chair with laughter!! I do not think the Estilo and the Jazz look even remotely similar.

Anyway, I have a doubt;
I believe the i10 K2 AT is available in only 1 Sportz Variant, is it the normal Sportz or the Sportz Opt. with the driver airbag???
@Arkin - I guess the looks are subjective. I too own i10 Sportz that I consider a normal no-nonsense looking car. Others hate that look while few others love the design and look of car.

i20, with out any doubt, is a popular car for its modern looking design and its evident from its sales compared to pathetic Jazz. While Jazz's failure may be attributed to higher price, many people would have grabbed this car after heavy discounts if it had a stunning look but there are no takers for that. Honda city is most attractive sedan in that segment even comparing with vento, New Verna, New ford etc.

In general, indians give lot of importance to the look of the car while selecting the car. most of the high selling cars have atleast decent (acceptable) to fabulous look.

Quote:

I do not think the Estilo and the Jazz look even remotely similar
BTW, I disagree with this. Please take a look at the pictures of the cars from side and observe the nose and other front end portion. Estillo has tall boy profile while Jazz has lower profile. If you punch the Jazz on the nose it becomes Estillo and if you punch it harder it becomes Nano
automaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 17:29   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaticfan View Post
BTW, I disagree with this. Please take a look at the pictures of the cars from side and observe the nose and other front end portion. Estillo has tall boy profile while Jazz has lower profile. If you punch the Jazz on the nose it becomes Estillo and if you punch it harder it becomes Nano
I think you have a point. Both of them are mono-volume designs and would have similar silhouette. Pre-facelift Estlio was even more so. But the design detailing is fairly different.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 18:25   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, I have a doubt;
The i10 K2 AT Sportz does not have an option pack. Probably so that people still consider the Asta despite the huge price difference
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 20:19   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think you have a point. Both of them are mono-volume designs and would have similar silhouette. Pre-facelift Estlio was even more so. But the design detailing is fairly different.
yes, I meant pre-facelift Estilo.
automaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 23:47   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, I have a doubt;
Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
The i10 K2 AT Sportz does not have an option pack. Probably so that people still consider the Asta despite the huge price difference
i10 K2 Sportz does have an option variant. It comes with driver-side airbag, bluetooth and steering audio controls.

However, AT is availble with non-option variant only.
sbiswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 02:19   #97
BHPian

Excellent review !!!

Brilliant - now this is the kind of stuff I was looking for & was sure I would find it here.

Truly, this is the extent, depth, intricacy & effort that an actual REVIEW must have.
(applause)

I was looking for a Hyundai i20 (new) review but saw this instead.
Waiting for that review eagerly since I plan to buy the i20 Asta with sunroof - black colour - soon (next 3 months or so.)

Keep up the GREAT work.

Sincerely... awesome.
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 03:43   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie View Post
I had sent a mail to Hyundai asking them the same thing [split seats for I10]. The answer was a categorical 'No'. The least they could have done is at least offer this as an option for a reasonable price.

The reason IMO for not providing features like split seating,ACC,electric folding ORVM etc is to ensure that these are exclusive to the i20. The sales of the i20 would take a beating if all these were provided in the i10
But what stops Hyundai from selling the I10 rear split seat as an accessory? If the global I10 (and the split rear seat) is being manufactured here in India, why should it not be available to Indian I10 customers. More so, when its main competitor (Ritz) features split seats, I see no reason why the Indian-I10 should not have this feature. Or is it like their I10 diesel engine story -- "import duties" are high, hence split seats not available.

Incidentally, I happened to read an I10 (UK model) review on the following websites:

Hyundai i10 Hatchback - Full Review - New Car Review - What Car?

Hyundai i10 hatchback (new) | Edition Review | Carbuyer review | CarBuyer

I have noticed the following differences between the UK-I10 and the Indian-I10:

* The UK-I10 has the "Indian look" -- black upholstery, a fully black dash and black plastics on the doors. However, the Indian I0 appears to be aping the "European look" with beige interiors, beige upholstery and black plastics on the doors. A paradigm shift here?

* The UK-I10 offers unlimited mileage cover, free car health checks and roadside assistance for five years. None of this is available here for the Indian-I10. I wonder why?

* The UK-I10 offers split rear seats, while the Indian I10 does not have this feature. Why?

Point is, why should the I10 differ between the UK-version and the Indian-version, especially when the I10 is considered a world car manufactured solely in India? I would have loved if the Indian I10 had also offered all of the three above-mentioned features. If the Brit I10 customer can get it, why cant the Indian I10 customers deserve something similar. Do we Indian customers deserve any less?

Last edited by misquitas : 4th April 2011 at 03:44.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 17:04   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
But what stops Hyundai from selling the I10 rear split seat as an accessory? . Do we Indian customers deserve any less?
+1. Particularly when the Indian hatchback market is a tightly competed and manufacturers are doing every bit to gain the ground.
headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 20:58   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
+1. Particularly when the Indian hatchback market is a tightly competed and manufacturers are doing every bit to gain the ground.
Is there any way to procure this I10 split seat from Hyundai or at least the company which supplies these split seats to Hyundai? I would certainly be interested in installing this split seat in my I10.

Last edited by misquitas : 4th April 2011 at 20:59.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 22:54   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
* The UK-I10 offers split rear seats, while the Indian I10 does not have this feature. Why?
It has to be a cost cutting option. No other explanation would convince me at least.Do you have any idea whats the cost of the i10 sold in the UK ? Is there any significant difference when converted in rupees compared to the price sold in India?
motortechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 23:42   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie View Post
It has to be a cost cutting option. No other explanation would convince me at least.Do you have any idea whats the cost of the i10 sold in the UK ? Is there any significant difference when converted in rupees compared to the price sold in India?
The on road price of the base version of the i10 in the UK cost 8,195.00 GBP.That comes to 581845 in Indian Rupees. Now I think we can have a justification as to why the Indian versions lack some of the most basic features as compared to the UK variants.

The Uk variants have everthing from steel alloys to foldable rear seats.All we can dedude is that Hyundai does this price discrimination in emerging markets like India to cut costs and keep prices low.
hellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 07:49   #103
BHPian

This answers the question as to why Hyundai does not provide the split rear seat option in India. Now as Misquitas says what stops Hyundai from selling the split rear seat feature as an option for people who are interested?
Old 5th April 2011, 11:05   #104
BHPian

As far as the foldable seats are concerned I think I would be pretty satisfied with the single fold that it offers.By the way does any one know if rear seat head rests can be fitted on the i10 Magna since it doesnt come in with the integrated head rests.I didnt pay much attention to this while buying but I feel the need now.
hellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 11:40   #105
BHPian

The split rear seat option is a nice feature to have. There are times when you have 3 people and a lot of luggage to carry. The split rear seat option would be useful in this scenario to accommodate the third person and the extra luggage