Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2012, 14:46   #136
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 301
Thanked: 309 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Took delivery of the Passat Highline yesterday. It's by far the easiest car to drive around the city. To get any power kicks out of it, you need to be in S mode, else the car changes gears far too quickly to get maximum fuel efficiency. Just a note, the car's ac(blower at least, cant confirm whether the compressor itself was on) remained on even when the car turned off due to auto start/stop. I need to go through the manuals thoroughly today, as the VW chap was insistent that you cant turn this feature off.
Congratulations on your new car apurva512!

It is surprisingly easy to drive in city-traffic despite it's size! It is reasonably punchy in 'D' mode even though the real fun begins in 'S' mode.

There is a button to turn the start-stop feature off. However I don't think it is possible to turn the AC blower off automatically when the start-stop is activated and functioning. You can ofcourse switch off the AC manually , but that kind of defeats the purpose.

fordfreak
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 15:28   #137
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 71
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Oh i'm not complaining about the punch in 'D' mode. It just takes a lot longer for it to kick in compared to the laura a/t which i drive quite a bit. From the little I have driven so far, the main power only kicks in post 2500 rpm compared to 1500 -1700 in the laura. Are you referring to the button with the big 'A' on it to the left of the gear stick? If so, the VW service chap was insistent that all the button does is turn Attention Assist on/off, and not Start Stop. Like I said, will have to go through the manual properly.
apurva512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 20:19   #138
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,576
Thanked: 5,945 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
If so, the VW service chap was insistent that all the button does is turn Attention Assist on/off, and not Start Stop. Like I said, will have to go through the manual properly.
Unlikely they would give you a button to turn attention assist off. Its certainly for the auto start stop. Also the kick comes in later, because this engine being the same as the Laura produces more power which does increase the turbo lag a bit.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 10:46   #139
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 301
Thanked: 309 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Oh i'm not complaining about the punch in 'D' mode. It just takes a lot longer for it to kick in compared to the laura a/t which i drive quite a bit. From the little I have driven so far, the main power only kicks in post 2500 rpm compared to 1500 -1700 in the laura. Are you referring to the button with the big 'A' on it to the left of the gear stick? If so, the VW service chap was insistent that all the button does is turn Attention Assist on/off, and not Start Stop. Like I said, will have to go through the manual properly.
The button you're talking about is indeed the one that deactivates the start-stop function. The VW chap seems to have been quite ill-informed .

Slightly , but does anyone here know if its possible to activate features such as the needle-sweep during start-up and horn alert during locking/unlocking the car?
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 12:15   #140
BHPian
 
exhaustpipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 36
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
The button you're talking about is indeed the one that deactivates the start-stop function.
=====
features such as the needle-sweep during start-up and horn alert during locking/unlocking the car?
I have been experimenting with a ross tech vcds on my passat. I think needle sweep is possible but i haven't been able to activate horn alert.
exhaustpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 10:52   #141
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 301
Thanked: 309 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
I have been experimenting with a ross tech vcds on my passat. I think needle sweep is possible but i haven't been able to activate horn alert.
So have you managed to activated the needle-sweep feature? Could you also shed some light on any other features apart from the two discussed, that could be activated? Thanks

Also, could any Passat owners shed some light on the servicing costs they've incurred so far? My car just had its 1 year service done and was charged Rs.17k. The dealer told me that the next service would cost about 28k! Any thoughts on this?

fordfreak
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 13:19   #142
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 44
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

I came to know from pune dealer that comfortline model is discontinued, only trendline and highline are being sold.
There is 2.3 lacs discount as year end offer.
DieselDelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 17:31   #143
BHPian
 
vvb8530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 201
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDelight View Post
I came to know from pune dealer that comfortline model is discontinued, only trendline and highline are being sold.
There is 2.3 lacs discount as year end offer.
The same was confirmed by the dealer in Mumbai as well. VW has indeed discontinued comfortline and are taking bookings only for trendline and highline.
vvb8530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 17:45   #144
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mandi, Himachal
Posts: 31
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
So have you managed to activated the needle-sweep feature? Could you also shed some light on any other features apart from the two discussed, that could be activated? Thanks

Also, could any Passat owners shed some light on the servicing costs they've incurred so far? My car just had its 1 year service done and was charged Rs.17k. The dealer told me that the next service would cost about 28k! Any thoughts on this?

fordfreak
I paid 11.5K for the first 1 year (15K) service at VW Chandigarh.

I had bought the 2011 Passat (Trendline) in October last year....just love it.
driven646 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 18:25   #145
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 44
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Driven646-How is the AC performance in trendline?
I did not like the aircon unit in passat trendline and RCD310 music system is too basic.
Even my jetta has got dualzone climatronic.
DieselDelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 18:39   #146
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mandi, Himachal
Posts: 31
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDelight View Post
Driven646-How is the AC performance in trendline?
I did not like the aircon unit in passat trendline and RCD310 music system is too basic.
Even my jetta has got dualzone climatronic.
Hi Mate,

The Passat 'Trendline' is identical to the Highline model in every aspect except the following:

1) No Self Park
2) No A/C Seats
3) No Rear View Camera
4) No Separate Start/Stop Button (Key FOB Push start)
5) Beige all Leather Interior instead of all Black
6) Different alloys (I prefer the Trendline ones)
7) 4 Way Powered seats instead of 12 Way

Besides the above the 'Trendline' version is fully loaded....DRL's, Tiptronic, paddle shifts, etc etc

My Passat 'Trendline' has dualzone climatronic, heated front seats and the Music system is the same as the Highline version. The Park Assist is Image with Radar (front and back)

The A/C was more than adequate in 35-40C temperature when I took it down to the plains.

I have driven the car for about 18K km's in about 15 months and the Car is just superb.
driven646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 20:21   #147
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 44
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

The new 'trendline' version doesn,t have dual zone climate control. It has attention assist and all safety features.
The music system is very basic, no touchscreen,bluetooth or steering mounted controls.
Since it is MT, no question of auto controls.
DieselDelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 20:39   #148
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,576
Thanked: 5,945 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post
Hi Mate,
The Passat 'Trendline' is identical to the Highline model in every aspect except the following:
Lol buddy you have the Comfortline, and not the trendline
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 08:03   #149
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mandi, Himachal
Posts: 31
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Lol buddy you have the Comfortline, and not the trendline
oops...yes my apologies...I have the 'Comfortline' Passat.....My apologies to Diesel as well.
driven646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 11:07   #150
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 301
Thanked: 309 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post
Hi Mate,

The A/C was more than adequate in 35-40C temperature when I took it down to the plains.
The A/C cools very well at the front, but takes significantly longer to chill the back-seat passengers during peak summer temperatures. Would have preferred the blower at the rear to have been stronger.

I own a December 2011 Passat (Highline) and have enjoyed the car immensely! However, VW service seriously needs to improve (atleast in Kolkata).
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3956 10th May 2017 17:23
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks