Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2014, 14:55   #271
BHPian
 
Crazy_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 350
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I haven't faced an issue with the Xenon's taking time to warm up.

Personally, I would steer clear of Non-OEM headlamp clusters. Especially since your car will still be under warranty. p
Well, What you said is Valid. But there is this itch to get that look. Frankly without the LEDs the car looks very average. Easily mistakable for a Jetta. Anyway, Advise taken. I shall not go for the chinese retrofit.

How about good Quality HIDs in the Low beam. (somewhere close to 4300K)

Do you know where I can get complete Philips or Osram HID kits?

Another thing,

Do you have the Extended Warranty on your car. As my car is a manual with practically no fancy electronics, do you think I should go for one?
Crazy_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 21:58   #272
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 301
Thanked: 309 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Well, What you said is Valid. But there is this itch to get that look. Frankly without the LEDs the car looks very average. Easily mistakable for a Jetta. Anyway, Advise taken. I shall not go for the chinese retrofit.

How about good Quality HIDs in the Low beam. (somewhere close to 4300K)

Do you know where I can get complete Philips or Osram HID kits?

Another thing,

Do you have the Extended Warranty on your car. As my car is a manual with practically no fancy electronics, do you think I should go for one?
I think HIDs should be fine. I have them on my Corolla and City, and they have been working fine since I got them 3 years ago. Moreover, I checked with the dealer about how this would affect the warranty (it does not void the warranty as long as no wires are being cut), before installing them. The HID kit I got is from Phillips. You should be able to get Phillips or Osram from any reputed car accesories store. But do check with the VW dealer before getting anything done.

I would recommend buying the extended warranty. It will give you peace of mind if you plan on keeping your car for atleast 4 years. Luckily when I paid for it back in December 2011 (when buying the car), I was charged approximately 13k. However, it is much more expensive as per the new extended warranty plans introduced by Volkswagen recently. You can check the new plans on one of threads on the forum itself.

Last edited by fordfreak : 16th May 2014 at 22:02.
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 22:07   #273
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,571
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Yes, and Yes it flashes. My concern is that currently my car has Reflector Headlamps (Separate for Low and High Beam) and not Projector.

As the aftermarket option i am planning to take has HIDs which have a warm up time, I am worried i might lose the flashing ability. It will work fine in the night but not in the day.

Oh ok. Then you can go ahead and order those. At 500 $ they are a a steal . Original VW passat lamps would set you back by more than a lakh rupees for a pair of eyes

But you need to watch out for one thing. Ensure that you buy headlamps designed for RHD driving like in India. Because beam pattern will be different. RHD oriented head lamps have a longer beam pattern on the left hand headlamp. So contact the seller and ask about this before buying. Also ensure that the whole thing is plug and play without any error popping up in the VCDS
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 22:11   #274
BHPian
 
Crazy_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 350
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I think HIDs should be fine.

I was charged approximately 13k. .
I know, I saw the listing, its close to 50k now. That is what made me question. 13k would have been a no brainer. Anyway, its 55k if I buy it at the end of 2 years and That is what i'll do then.

About HIDs:
I have been reading that Philips dosen't make HID kits anymore and the ones in the market are fakes. I dont know how true is that.

I know I am bombarding you with questions but I have one more

Are your licence plate lights LED? Mine are normal yellow halogen. Do you know any reputed website that sells OEM VW stuff (in UK, Germany etc) and has reasonable shipping rates to India?
Crazy_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 22:17   #275
BHPian
 
Crazy_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 350
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Oh ok. Then you can go ahead and order those. At 500 $ they are a a steal
Hehe, I am not too sure if there are Value for money. Depends on how they are made. For RHD the seller is charging a bit more and it comes out to be upwards of 700 USD with shipping. I think if they last 3-4 years then its a decent price to pay. But then there are warranty concerns.

I am still thinking and will keep everyone posted.

In the meanwhile do you know where I can find the best H7 HIDs (kit)?

Is D2R/S different from H7?
Crazy_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 14:21   #276
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 301
Thanked: 309 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
I have been reading that Philips dosen't make HID kits anymore and the ones in the market are fakes. I dont know how true is that.

I know I am bombarding you with questions but I have one more

Are your licence plate lights LED? Mine are normal yellow halogen. Do you know any reputed website that sells OEM VW stuff (in UK, Germany etc) and has reasonable shipping rates to India?
I'm not sure if this is true. I will be making a trip to the shops to get a new set for my Altis as one of the bulbs broke in a small fender-bender. Will check with them then.

Hahah!! Don't worry about the questions. Always happy to help out a fellow Bhpian

My license plate lights are not LEDs. I havent really thought about putting LEDs, and thus don't have a clue about a proper website. Sorry.

fordfreak
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 19:21   #277
BHPian
 
Crazy_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 350
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
My license plate lights are not LEDs. I havent really thought about putting LEDs, and thus don't have a clue about a proper website. Sorry.

fordfreak
Hi Fordfreak,

I went through your ownership review and it seems your license plate lights are indeed LEDs. They look bright white to me.

Anyway, did you make your trip for the HIDs yet?
Crazy_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 16:46   #278
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 301
Thanked: 309 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hi Fordfreak,

I went through your ownership review and it seems your license plate lights are indeed LEDs. They look bright white to me.

Anyway, did you make your trip for the HIDs yet?
I certainly haven't had LEDs installed on the license plate lights. I guess its just the poor lighting in the photographs that make it look that way .

Unfortunately I haven't had time to get the HIDs installed. So my Altis is still running around with a single working fog-lamp.
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 11:35   #279
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 301
Thanked: 309 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
I went through your ownership review and it seems your license plate lights are indeed LEDs.
Ok. So I checked properly last night and as it turns out, the license plate lights are infact LEDs!! I should have been a bit more observant earlier
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 10:41   #280
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,000
Thanked: 906 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

The wraps have come off the eighth-generation Volkswagen Passat, and I have to say it looks rather the same except for the instrument cluster which looks rather nice! Plenty of drivetrain options available internationally, but really can see them offering only the diesel here. The hybrid would be horrifically expensive if it were to make it.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-389008.aspx
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 18:20   #281
bhp
BHPian
 
bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lokhandwala mumbai
Posts: 833
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

I have a 2010 VW Passat 1.8 tsi.

The engine emission control light has been there on the dashboard on and off. Its there now since a week.

Had send it to VW ASS and they reported a weak fuel pump for which i am not totally convinced since car is running absolutely fine at all speeds. Then Got it scanned locally.

It threw up two error codes :-
1) P2185 - Engine coolant temperature sensor on radiator G83 (signal too large)
2) P2237 - O2 sensor positive current control circuit bank 1 sensor : open

Also the radiator fan would activate as soon as the car is started in the morning (cold start)

Anyone who has experienced the same and solutions towards this problem.
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 11:45   #282
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,626
Thanked: 8,731 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
I have a 2010 VW Passat 1.8 tsi.

The engine emission control light has been there on the dashboard on and off. Its there now since a week.

Had send it to VW ASS and they reported a weak fuel pump for which i am not totally convinced since car is running absolutely fine at all speeds. Then Got it scanned locally.

It threw up two error codes :-
1) P2185 - Engine coolant temperature sensor on radiator G83 (signal too large)
2) P2237 - O2 sensor positive current control circuit bank 1 sensor : open

Also the radiator fan would activate as soon as the car is started in the morning (cold start)

Anyone who has experienced the same and solutions towards this problem.
My guess is that you have a defective temperature sensor. It is a small unit and costs around a couple of thousand rupees. What is happening, it is causing the engine to run too rich thus triggering the emission control light, similarly, it triggers the cooling fan.

I had a similar problem with the Skoda RS. I replaced it just before selling it, the new owner is a very happy man!

It takes only minutes to replace.

Let me find out more and get back to you on what to do
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 17:40   #283
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,626
Thanked: 8,731 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Okay, this is the part you need to get.

The part number is 06A919501A

I saw it for sale here

Recommend you buy the clip and washer that go with it.

I am not sure where the sender sits on your engine. If ist is like the Octy vRS, it sits on the right end of the engine block. Look for a wire and a plug on the engine block. Carefully pull plug off. The sender has a clip, remove the clip and put sender out. Make sure engine is cold then no coolant spews out.

Last edited by ajmat : 7th July 2014 at 08:19.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 00:03   #284
bhp
BHPian
 
bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lokhandwala mumbai
Posts: 833
Thanked: 144 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Okay, this is the part you need to get.

The part number is 06A919501A

I saw it for sale here

Recommend you buy the clip and washer that go with it.

I am not sure where the sender sits on your engine. If ist is like the Octy vRS, it sits on the right end of the engine block. Look for a wire and a plug on the engine plug. Carefully pull plug off. The sender has a clip, remove the clip and put sender out. Make sure engine is cold then no coolant spews out.

Thankyou for the part no and link ajmat. It looks the right solution.

Although I am sending the car tommorow for a second opinion at vw downtown service center. Hoping to get this solved there. Will keep updated here.
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 18:16   #285
bhp
BHPian
 
bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lokhandwala mumbai
Posts: 833
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My guess is that you have a defective temperature sensor. It is a small unit and costs around a couple of thousand rupees. What is happening, it is causing the engine to run too rich thus triggering the emission control light, similarly, it triggers the cooling fan.

I had a similar problem with the Skoda RS. I replaced it just before selling it, the new owner is a very happy man!

It takes only minutes to replace.

Let me find out more and get back to you on what to do
Update :-

Car was sent to VW Downtown yesterday. They scanned and found the temperature sensor at fault. They have cleaned and re-installed the sensor and the light has gone.

The car has been driven for approx 25-30 kms post the work and all seems to be working fine as of now.

When i insisted them to install a new sensor instead of cleaning and using the same one again, they mentioned its all fine post cleaning with the old one and if incase check lights come again, then they will install a new one.

A new temp sensor would cost rs 2200/- approx with vw.
bhp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3956 10th May 2017 17:23
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks