Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2015, 10:42   #331
BHPian
 
Crazy_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 350
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post

What benefit other than looks would the 225/55 Primacy give over 215/55 Primacy? I assume grip, noise and rolling resistance would be similar considering they are both Primacy 3ST. Also, has anyone tried the Bridgestone Turanza?
You are correct, 225 would offer more grip, and look good, without any damage to any department, be it handling, FE etc. . Also as I observed, 225/55 cost the same as 215/55 and has more options.

Turanza are eco wheels and wont suit a premium car like Passat.
Crazy_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 10:44   #332
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 292
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Thanks for your input rpunwani. Appreciate it.




What benefit other than looks would the 225/55 Primacy give over 215/55 Primacy? I assume grip, noise and rolling resistance would be similar considering they are both Primacy 3ST. Also, has anyone tried the Bridgestone Turanza?
Welcome Apurva. Wider tyres in general will have better grip on the road. Though the 215/55 presently fitted on the Passat also has very good grip. I concur with Crazy-Bean that the Pirelli tyres are softer than other makes, including Michelin & are therefore more prone to sidewall damage. On the +ve side the ride is better. I keep 35 psi on all 4 tyres and I get a very good ride.

Do let us know what you eventually buy & take pictures
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 22:52   #333
BHPian
 
Crazy_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 350
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

We had a slight drizzle in Gurgaon today, as a result the wipers came in action only to find out that the driver side wiper isn't wiping properly.

Upon inspection I found out that the Wiper Blade (Rubber) is cracked and detached from the wiper assembly. Its a new car and I have almost never used the wipers before.

Anyway, looks like I'll have to replace it with a new one. Any suggestions if I should go the dealer way or buy one online ( Hella, Bosch etc.). Is it possible to source the exact OEM wipers online in India?

It would be great if someone could help me with the links to where and what should I buy?

Thanks
Crazy_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 08:20   #334
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 841
Thanked: 891 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
We had a slight drizzle in Gurgaon today, as a result the wipers came in action only to find out that the driver side wiper isn't wiping properly.

You have to find out the size of the driver side wiper in the manual or measure it by hand. You can order it online from epitstop.com as they have wide range of reasonably priced Hella wipers suitable for all cars. You will also see a compatibility chart in the description of each wiper. Thanks to bhpian B747 for guiding me to this site for a nice collection of essential accessories.

The OEM set from the service station will cost you a bomb and it's only sold in a pair, not individually. Hence it costs about ₹4000 a pair. Hella is about ₹500-600 per wiper individually available.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 09:21   #335
BHPian
 
Crazy_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 350
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You have to find out the size of the driver side wiper in the manual or measure it by hand. You can order it online from epitstop.com as they have wide range of reasonably priced Hella wipers suitable for all cars. You will also see a compatibility chart in the description of each wiper. Thanks to bhpian B747 for guiding me to this site for a nice collection of essential accessories.

The OEM set from the service station will cost you a bomb and it's only sold in a pair, not individually. Hence it costs about ₹4000 a pair. Hella is about ₹500-600 per wiper individually available.
Thanks a lot for the response. I need 24" wiper for the driver side. As mentioned by you, epitstop has a hella dynaedge wiper retailing for close to 600 bucks which is good.

Now the only concern is that there are two types of wiper attachments popular in India, Push button type and J hook type. The site doesn't mention if its push button type or J hook type.

Did you buy wipers from them for your skoda? SKoda and VW should essentially have same wiper assembly.
Thanks

Edit: I have also written to them. Lets see if they respond. Are you happy with their service?

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 20th February 2015 at 09:23.
Crazy_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 09:48   #336
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 841
Thanked: 891 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Thanks a lot for the response. I need 24" wiper for the driver side. As mentioned by you, epitstop has a hella dynaedge wiper retailing for close to 600 bucks which is good.

Now the only concern is that there are two types of wiper attachments popular in India, Push button type and J hook type. The site doesn't mention if its push button type or J hook type.

Did you buy wipers from them for your skoda? SKoda and VW should essentially have same wiper assembly.
Thanks

Edit: I have also written to them. Lets see if they respond. Are you happy with their service?
The package comes with all different wiper attachments. Mine unfortunately did not fit because I think they changed the design in the new Octavia. But I am sure I saw Passat in the compatibility chart. I have bought LED bulbs from them. But service is good. You will receive the wiper quick enough if in stock. I recommend googling a bit on Dyna edge compatibility on a Passat before you place order.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 10:46   #337
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 71
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Got an offer for the Pirelli 215/55 for 13500 each, the same price as the Michelin's, so decided to stick with those itself. That for the help rpunwani and crazy_been. Appreciate it. Also, would love your feedback on the Hella wipers, will upgrade mine if you find them effective.
apurva512 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2015, 09:00   #338
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 292
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Got an offer for the Pirelli 215/55 for 13500 each, the same price as the Michelin's, so decided to stick with those itself. That for the help rpunwani and crazy_been. Appreciate it. Also, would love your feedback on the Hella wipers, will upgrade mine if you find them effective.
Thanks Apurva, it would be nice to know from where you sourced the Pirelli tyres for 13.5k as it is a very good price. Please check date of manufacture before you pay for them & fit them. Get wheel balancing done. Also during wheel balancing please insist that they do not use weights that are fitted on the rim. Use only sticker type weights that are stuck on the inside of the rim.

I have been checking on the Hella wipers as a friend of mine owns a car accessories shop in Mumbai. Will keep you updated in a few days.
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 07:09   #339
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You have to find out the size of the driver side wiper in the manual or measure it by hand. You can order it online from epitstop.com as they have wide range of reasonably priced Hella wipers suitable for all cars. You will also see a compatibility chart in the description of each wiper. Thanks to bhpian B747 for guiding me to this site for a nice collection of essential accessories.

The OEM set from the service station will cost you a bomb and it's only sold in a pair, not individually. Hence it costs about ₹4000 a pair. Hella is about ₹500-600 per wiper individually available.
Hi there, could you confirm the URL for e-pitstop? I'm getting a Godaddy domain search when I visit epitstop.com
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 07:45   #340
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 292
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Hi there, could you confirm the URL for e-pitstop? I'm getting a Godaddy domain search when I visit epitstop.com
It is epitstop.in. I too was being redirected to Godaddy, till I found the correct domain name. The site is good, but I found it awfully slow.
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 09:02   #341
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 841
Thanked: 891 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Hi there, could you confirm the URL for e-pitstop? I'm getting a Godaddy domain search when I visit epitstop.com

Hey apologise for the bad url. Hope you found what you were looking for.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 10:21   #342
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 292
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Also, Quick Google search returned that the Auto Start/Stop doesn't work with the Racechip installed. Bummer!

Can anyone confirm this?
Where did you find this. I was in contact with the folks at RaceChip and they categorically told me that the car will function as it should. If the Auto Start/Stop does not function, I may not go for it.
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 11:28   #343
BHPian
 
Crazy_Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 350
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
Where did you find this. I was in contact with the folks at RaceChip and they categorically told me that the car will function as it should. If the Auto Start/Stop does not function, I may not go for it.
Hey, I read it on some forum. Was going through Racechip reviews and someone mentioned that his Start / Stop doesn't work post the install. Cant seem to find the thread. But If Race chip guys are sure that it would work and I think you should be good.

When are you getting it?
Crazy_Bean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 14:59   #344
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 292
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Would recommend you look at any other box, be with Racedynamics, or even a UK tuning like DTUK.

A remap will also be undetected by the service people unless there is some major engine work required and they send the ECU data to VW itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Hey, I read it on some forum. Was going through Racechip reviews and someone mentioned that his Start / Stop doesn't work post the install. Cant seem to find the thread. But If Race chip guys are sure that it would work and I think you should be good.

When are you getting it?
I have been thinking about it. Akshay recommended to look at Racedynamics or DTUK. Frankly, Racedynamics is expensive almost 20k as compared to RaceChip which is about 10k. I am checking on DTUK, will revert in a while
rpunwani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 15:27   #345
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,573
Thanked: 5,927 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I have been thinking about it. Akshay recommended to look at Racedynamics or DTUK. Frankly, Racedynamics is expensive almost 20k as compared to RaceChip which is about 10k. I am checking on DTUK, will revert in a while
You are driving a 30l car buddy, saving 10k may bring up a whole lot of trouble later down the line. In fact Racedynamics is cheap compared to other good tuning companies, which are a lot more than that. Racechip is cheaper since they use the same box for every car and do not make a custom map depending on the car.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th February 2015 at 15:29.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 3956 10th May 2017 17:23
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6 Litre Petrol (Trendline) Test Drive, Review & Photos Karizma Fan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 18th February 2010 20:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks