Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 18th February 2017, 04:46   #181
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Mechanical Empathy | Preserving the Car While Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I do exactly the same thing I also release the handbrake only after I am ready to roll (even with an auto transmission car). So even if in stick shift the transmission was engaged and the clutch pedal not pressed the handbrake would save the day.

And yeah, this decades old habit of mine has saved me from embarrassing outcomes several times because many people including friends (on those very rare occasion I trust them to drive my car ), technicians at the service centre etc have the irritating habit of leaving the car in gear to prevent it from moving forward or backward inadvertently.
Use of parking brake in cars with manual transmission has its utility however one should always use the parking brake (foot operated/electronic parking brakes are a norm in North America) in vehicles equipped with automatic transmission.

When you put your vehicle in park “P”, a device inside automatic transmission called the “parking pawl” engages. If your car is parked on an incline the entire load of vehicle comes on to your driveline something that will damage your transmission in the long term & automatic transmissions are very expensive to fix.

The clunk that you hear when you shift from park to drive especially when parked on an on an incline can be avoided by following these steps:

1. Activate your parking brake first and shift into park when you park your car.
2. Shift in to Drive and then disengage your parking brake when starting from stationary position
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 09:47   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
1. Activate your parking brake first and shift into park when you park your car.
2. Shift in to Drive and then disengage your parking brake when starting from stationary position
I recall following much the same steps the last time I drove a slush box in the US.

Frankly automatic transmissions with standard torque converters are not my thing and given a choice I'd always pick a stick shift over an automatic. The manual transmission gives me what I can only describe as a 'connection/control point' with the car which I just like very much.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 13:38   #183
BHPian

Hello
I recently drove a Verna 1.5 diesel 1st gen of a relative and this particular car had a peculiar problem of in-gear jerking. While driving in second gear at about 2000 rpm if you stop accelerating i.e let go off the throttle pedal the car used to jerk violently. I always use a lot of engine braking while driving but in this case as soon as the throttle pedal was let off the car jerked and depressing the clutch was the only option. Could any member point out what would be wrong

Regards
trinity0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:52   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
I recently drove a Verna 1.5 diesel 1st gen of a relative and this particular car had a peculiar problem of in-gear jerking. While driving in second gear at about 2000 rpm if you stop accelerating i.e let go off the throttle pedal the car used to jerk violently. I always use a lot of engine braking while driving but in this case as soon as the throttle pedal was let off the car jerked and depressing the clutch was the only option.
Posting with personal experience, may or may not help you with your case.
Had a similar problem in my friend's Figo but on all gears over 1800 rpm. Found one of the injector is clogged / malfunctioning. Replaced it and the issue is solved.
Give a try with injector cleaning additives before going for replacement.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote