Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 1st February 2016, 11:53   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2 bursts and 1 sidewall crack in 3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Or is it the age of the underused JK tires that is causing all this menace? Is it because of our usage pattern where the car is left idle for a long time before we take it for a long journey? Am I missing something with regards to maintaining the tire?
You have hit the nail on the head - this is your reason. In our climate (or even otherwise), at most tires last (especially OEM) a maximum of about 4 years irrespective of use. The rubber becomes hard and all aspects of tire usefulness are compromised be it grip, shock absorption, carcass integrity, etc. The steel belts expand unevenly and the tire becomes uneven internally/externally. When the tire becomes hard, it loses grip, starts overheating, etc. If one continues with old hard tires, you will also lose your suspension because of this.

If you are using your car infrequently, say once a month or so, then you have to inflate the tires to 40+ to avoid the tires developing flat spots. Then when you start using the car, drive gently to the nearest pump and get it reduced to spec.

The signs are: Vibration while running, ABS kicking in very frequently (loss of grip), floaty feeling amongst others.

On highways, tire pressures must be maintained a couple of points higher than the recommended when COLD. I see so many people filling air on the expressway pumps after having driven a couple of hours. The tires are hot and then when set at 32/34 the equivalent becomes 26/28 which is really bad for the tire.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 1st February 2016 at 11:55.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 00:14   #257
MSA

Default speed limits and tyres - experiences and advice?

the XUV 500 has 235/65 R 17 dimension tyres. i had insisted on Bridgestone and am now not sure about the wisdom of that decision!

On my first long distance journey i went up to 170 km / hr (Del - Jaipur and Del - Agra) but then brought to 140 for extended stretches. a long weekend when there was less traffic on the roads.

question - is there a truth to the statement that tyres burst at high speeds? obviously recommended speed limits should be followed and even on Greater NOIDA Expressway i stick to speed limit. but if one was to go beyond 100 km/hr - what would be a safe speed limit for SUVs?

on the Western Expressway in Bombay and the Airport Expressway in Bangalore i have seen smaller cars do 120 km/hr - so i'm guessing cars are built for higher speed limits than we put them through in India.

Thanks!

MSA
MSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2016, 07:12   #258
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: speed limits and tyres - experiences and advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSA View Post
question - is there a truth to the statement that tyres burst at high speeds? obviously recommended speed limits should be followed and even on Greater NOIDA Expressway i stick to speed limit. but if one was to go beyond 100 km/hr - what would be a safe speed limit for SUVs?
Obviously, very few tyres explode when cars are at standstill. But seriously, it all starts with the speed rating of your tyres.

See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

As long as the speed rating is higher then your carís maximum speed you are good to go. In some countries it is illegal to fit tyres with a too low a speed rating compared to the maximum speed of the car.

Next, of course you need to check your tyres for wear and tear, have the correct tyre pressure and so on. But as long as you do the above, a tyre should not burst due to high speed.

Whether you should be driving at 170 km/h on any stretch of road in India is a different matter. When Iím in Germany on parts of the unrestricted speed stretches of the Autobahn I will happily put the hammer down and take whatever car Iím driving to its maximum speed. These Autobahns are very well maintained, you wonít find unexpected pot holes, debris or people and animals wandering into the road crossing. Also, everybody is familiar with high speed driving. Even if other drivers might only be doing 100-130 km/h they will exercise due caution as they know there are plenty of cars behind them doing 200+ km/h

So I would say, check the speed rating of your tires first, whether you take it up to a high speed is oneís own judgement.

You hit a pot hole or a piece of debris doing 170 km/h you might find yourself in a bit of bother!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote