Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 17th October 2016, 23:12   #241
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Another grim and sad reminder of the value of seat belts. Just got home from a business trip and am informed that a nephew of mine, all of 20 years old, was killed this morning driving a Scorpio on a highway north-west of Delhi. I do not yet know all the exact details or sequence or who was at fault. But I do know that the young man was not wearing his seat belt. He was the son of a cousin of mine. Very tragic for the young man and even more so for his parents. My earnest request to all BHPians is - always belt up. Even if you are on the rear seat you should belt up even more so if you are on an inter-city run - Narayan

PS: Dear Moderators, please move this post to the appropriate thread if necessary.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 17th October 2016 at 23:14.
V.Narayan is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 15:36   #242
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I do not yet know all the exact details or sequence or who was at fault. But I do know that the young man was not wearing his seat belt.
Not a pleasant matter to discuss again. But I would like to share some important facts which I discovered today. My nephew was not driving. He was in the rear seat on the left hand side. Yet he was killed because of not wearing a seat belt. I wont dwell on the gory details as it is a sad moment for us. The point I am making is that we should wear a seat belt even if we are positioned on the rear seat. More so if you are on a fast road
V.Narayan is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 12:44   #243
BHPian

There is a belief in our culture that something wrong might happen before a major life event or decision and that held true in my case where I was involved in an accident just 2 weeks before my wedding.

Slightly over a month ago, my friends and I were involved in an accident while driving back to Bangalore. I wasn't speeding nor was I driving rashly at the time of the incident. A momentary lapse in judgement resulted in the photo you see above.

Thanks to God, none of us nor the passengers in the other car were injured which is a miracle and most people would agree judging by the condition of the car. Really thankful that all of us are alive and unscathed. I also feel that a lot also has to do with the fact that the car I was driving was German made and had good build quality.

Although when driving in a country like India, there are so many different uncertainties and obstacles to tackle, I would urge everyone out there to be as safe as possible when driving. Also, make sure to keep your seatbelts fastened at all times even if you are in the back seats especially on highways. Also make sure you drive a car with as many safety features as possible and something that's solidly built. Every step towards mitigating the accident counts. Safe driving
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Seat Belts Saved My Life! True Stories & Pictures from BHPians-1485501125485.jpg  

sandeepsarma is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 13:32   #244
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Ouch looks nasty could share how it happened and what exactly occurred? Great to hear that everyone was fine. On a side note: are those beautiful rims at all salvageable?
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 23:24   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Ouch looks nasty could share how it happened and what exactly occurred? Great to hear that everyone was fine. On a side note: are those beautiful rims at all salvageable?
Long story short, was a lapse in judgement on my part. Happened while overtaking. The left side got most of the impact as I took the car to the right to avoid a head on collision as there was another car on the left too. The entire left side took a hit and sent the car skidding and airborne for a short while before hitting a pole on the right.

After the accident locals stole my car keys, some snacks that were in the car. The only part that was fine was the boot which also got screwed because I had to leave the car at the spot then continue to Bangalore after which I sent a towing truck. People stole battery, antenna and spare tyre after opening the boot with a crowbar.

The Momo Revenge is what made me sad since less than 2 months prior to the accident is when I got them. The front left rim is bent and damaged while other three might be usable. However, I can't touch it till the insurance matters are sorted :(
sandeepsarma is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 16:52   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
After the accident locals stole my car keys, some snacks that were in the car. The only part that was fine was the boot which also got screwed because I had to leave the car at the spot then continue to Bangalore after which I sent a towing truck. People stole battery, antenna and spare tyre after opening the boot with a crowbar.
(
This is sad! Can you please share where did it happen?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 01:13   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
This is sad! Can you please share where did it happen?
Happened in Sirsi, on the way to Bangalore from Gokarna :(
sandeepsarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 21:43   #248

Bad! that's the first word and a sigh of relief that you all are safe (credit : German Cars). I am just wondering if it was a Suzuki or may be Hyundai (gives me shivers).
And seat belts, we wear them just to avoid fines and nothing more.
DBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 16:17   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeast View Post
Bad! that's the first word and a sigh of relief that you all are safe (credit : German Cars). I am just wondering if it was a Suzuki or may be Hyundai (gives me shivers).
And seat belts, we wear them just to avoid fines and nothing more.
Agreed. I thought of same thing and that's why I got another German itself to replace it. Seat belts too helped a lot I believe as all four occupants were wearing it
sandeepsarma is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote