Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 12th August 2015, 19:35   #61
BANNED

Default Re: ARTICLE: Common SCAMS Encountered on Indian Roads - A Compendium

Reading all these scams made me feel very very scary.

BTW thank you for sharing this.
amvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 15:06   #62
D C
BHPian

Default Re: Traffic and life on the road in Chennai**ALERT** Woman Requesting Help with Medicines

**ALERT** Woman Requesting Help with Medicines at Traffic Signals in Chennai

Last week, while I was on the LB Road Signal heading towards Kottivakkam, this old lady approached me asking for help to buy some medicines. She was very old and apparently cannot walk without a walking stick. She was carrying a couple of wrappers and requested money to buy those medicines. She looked genuine and I asked if it is okay if I give her the medicines instead of money and she agreed. I asked her to wait there and went further and parked the car after crossing the signal.

I went back to her, collected the wrappers to identify the medicines and walked to a store. The possibility of she returning the medicines and getting the money was in mind and for that reason I went to a store that is inside a lane, completely out of her sight. One of the tablet was a dietary supplement and that triggered an alert. I have decided to check the genuineness and approached some of the nearby medical stores.

The second store identified the wrappers and confirmed that the woman indeed is trying to make money. If people give her medicines instead of money, she return them to the stores and get the money (Around Rs. 300). I have reported this to the police on the signal and requested them to check if she genuinely need any help and I went to work.

The reason why I am writing this now is that I have seen the lady again yesterday at the Kottivakkam signal, doing the same exercise.

Last edited by D C : 8th September 2015 at 15:13.
D C is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 19:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
I was tricked last Sunday at the HP factory pump on the Pune-Mumbai expressway service road. (the 1st one on the left on the way to Mumbai 3 kms after the Hinjewadi bridge)

I stopped at this fuel station to top up my tank of petrol: another Rs. 1500 worth of petrol. I always get out of my car, lock it and stand next to the refueling attendant to oversee the entire process and avoid any scams. However this time as soon as the attendant inserted the fuel delivery nozzle inside my car and started pumping petrol a second attendant made his way to the front of my car. He casually asked me to switch on the car's windshield washer so that he could clean the glass.
I didn't see anything wrong with this, probably he didn't have clean water to wash the glass, and I activated the wiper washer for 10 seconds. When I got back to my original position next to the fuel attendant I immediately realized that I had been fooled.
The fuel pump was stuck at Rs. 400 and the attendant told me that there was no electricity and it had already dispensed Rs. 400 worth of petrol. He pressed some buttons and voila the pump started again. I was expecting the fuel delivery to auto cut-off at around approx. Rs. 1100 as by then my tank would have been full again, however to my horror the pump kept on dispensing petrol and it finally got auto cut-off at approx. Rs. 1600. So I ended up paying close to Rs. 2000 for an actual Rs. 1500 worth of petrol.

These guys had robbed me of my hard earned money with their dirty tactics. I swear I'll never go to that pump again and add this incident to my list of experiences.
Try complaining on the pgpportal (petroleum & gas ministry) - they're very prompt and do seem to take action. I did one recently and got a call & a letter from the company in a week. They even invited me to come and verify the quantity along with govt weight & measurement Dept people.
aashishnb is offline   Reply With Quote