Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 13:34   #181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Bombay
Posts: 43
Thanked: Once
Default Clutch usage

Mostly its said "do not ride the clutch" by which I understand that partial depression of clutch is harmful.

Kindly advice on FULL DEPRESSION of clutch at small slopes or while rolling up to a toll booth or a signal.

Also if the car has attained a speed of 100 KMPH, is it advisable to depress the clutch fully till say the speed has dropped down to 80 KMPH and then accelerate slowly again to 100?

How will the FE be affected?

Soumo Chatterjee

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2009 at 16:36. Reason: Please do not post your cell phone number in public
fast lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 14:22   #182
BHPian
 
deadguy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 235
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast lane View Post
Also if the car has attained a speed of 100 KMPH, is it advisable to depress the clutch fully till say the speed has dropped down to 80 KMPH and then accelerate slowly again to 100?

How will the FE be affected?

Soumo Chatterjee
When you say "depress", if you mean by pressing the clutch fully, then it is wrong. All you need to do is take your foot of the throttle, unless you want to slow down quickly.

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2009 at 16:37.
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 15:19   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,124
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast lane View Post
Mostly its said "do not ride the clutch" by which I understand that partial depression of clutch is harmful.

Kindly advice on FULL DEPRESSION of clutch at small slopes or while rolling up to a toll booth or a signal.

Also if the car has attained a speed of 100 KMPH, is it advisable to depress the clutch fully till say the speed has dropped down to 80 KMPH and then accelerate slowly again to 100?

How will the FE be affected?

Soumo Chatterjee
You will get less mileage if you depress the clutch and let the car roll freely compared to just letting the accelerator go. This is because modern cars with electronic fuel injection (even the humble 800) use no fuel at all when they are coasting with the transmission locked to the engine. Press the clutch and the engine will start consuming fuel to keep it running (idle running).

It is also a dangerous practice as you'll lose the advantage of engine breaking in case you need to hit the brakes suddenly.

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2009 at 16:37. Reason: Removing members cell phone number
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 15:22   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast lane View Post
Also if the car has attained a speed of 100 KMPH, is it advisable to depress the clutch fully till say the speed has dropped down to 80 KMPH and then accelerate slowly again to 100?
What has clutch to do with the speed? If you need to slow down apply your brakes and not the clutch. Only then engine braking plus your pedal braking both with assist the car to slow down efficiently and you will be more in control.
If you simply want to reduce the speed, dont press the accelerator, engine braking will slowly reduce the speed to your desired level.

Use clutch only to change gears and yes, press fully to do so.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 15:38   #185
jat
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SINGAPORE
Posts: 265
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast lane View Post
.........Also if the car has attained a speed of 100 KMPH, is it advisable to depress the clutch fully till say the speed has dropped down to 80 KMPH and then accelerate slowly again to 100?...Soumo Chatterjee
Clutch has got the function for changing gears only. And at that time, it has to be either fully depressed and normal time, your foot should be off it. Also when stopping, use the clutch to prevent the engine from stalling, when applying brake.

For speed control, accelerator or combination of accelerator and brake to be used.

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2009 at 16:37. Reason: Removing members cell phone number
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 11:23   #186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 592
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Maruti Publishes Fuel Efficiency Figures!

Some info
Maruti Publishes Fuel Efficiency Figures!
Link
Maruti_Publishes_Fuel_Efficiency_Figures!

Last edited by aka_iitd : 6th January 2009 at 11:24.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 12:54   #187
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

I have noticed one thing in the extreme Delhi weather. Average FE is lowest in monsoons (traffic jams, etc), increases in winters but is the highest in Feb-Apr. Is it because of the cold conditions in Delhi right now.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 14:14   #188
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,312
Thanked: 485 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast lane View Post
Also if the car has attained a speed of 100 KMPH, is it advisable to depress the clutch fully till say the speed has dropped down to 80 KMPH and then accelerate slowly again to 100?
Your car may break free instead of slowing down, if you keep the clutch depressed at 100, unless you are approaching a uphill.
Best way would be to either lift off or gently press the brake
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 10:01   #189
BHPian
 
hoomdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 30
Thanked: 14 Times
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have noticed one thing in the extreme Delhi weather. Average FE is lowest in monsoons (traffic jams, etc), increases in winters but is the highest in Feb-Apr. Is it because of the cold conditions in Delhi right now.
@Vasudeva
Excuse me for trying to "advise" a senior BHPian (i am already intimidated ) but I believe the FE goes up in Feb-Apr because of the below two factors:

1) No AC (at least till March) - hence higher FE than summer.

2) Even though its no AC in Dec-Jan too, bu the chill means that more fuel is burnt to achieve the same temperature. (taking the analog of bringing water to boiling temp consumes more fuel in winter). Hence. FE in Dec-Jan will be lower than Feb-Mar.

Am I right?
hoomdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 15:51   #190
BHPian
 
Atlblkz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 166
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoomdo View Post
2) Even though its no AC in Dec-Jan too, bu the chill means that more fuel is burnt to achieve the same temperature. (taking the analog of bringing water to boiling temp consumes more fuel in winter). Hence. FE in Dec-Jan will be lower than Feb-Mar.
Am I right?
Engines do not burn extra fuel just to maintain their temperature. Our engines are so inefficient they inherently overheat and require large amounts of cooling.

If the engine isn't hot, the thermostat does not open too wide and the cooling system simply deactivates to maintain operating temperature.

It takes temperatures well below 0C to affect the engine in ways you describe.
Atlblkz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 17:52   #191
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 43,466
Thanked: 61,688 Times
Default

To add to what Atlblkz06 posted, I find my engines running much better in the winter as well. True cold-air-intake season!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 18:22   #192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Theoretically, the max efficiency of an engine is 1 - Temp of Sink/Temp of Source.

Source =
Temp of source (inside engine) reaches the max after sometime (then the thermostat functions and radiator fan is switched on). Hence, whether it is winter or summer, we can assume that the temp inside the engine is the same.

Sink = Outside environment. Hence, the drop in ambient temp will result in a marginal increase in the efficiency

Note: The temperatures mentioned above are absolute (in Kelvin), so the impact is minimal with the changes in atmospheric temp which are not large as compared to the readings if read in Centigrade

Last edited by Jeep : 16th January 2009 at 18:25.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 20:49   #193
BHPian
 
Atlblkz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 166
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have noticed one thing in the extreme Delhi weather. Average FE is lowest in monsoons (traffic jams, etc), increases in winters but is the highest in Feb-Apr. Is it because of the cold conditions in Delhi right now.
You'll find big gains in power in winter from a cooler air charge as well as better intercooling and engine cooling. I'm not surprised to see that your economy is higher. Also remember that A/C usage decrease your mileage slightly.

I've found that rain and wet roads can have a significant impact on mileage (Pure highway driving at 70mph - I noticed a 10% drop). When you're driving along at a constant speed and hit a patch of water, you can immediately feel the drag from the water. My theory is that driving on wet roads provides a "constant drag" on the tires that lowers your mileage. As you pointed out - city traffic is always a mess when it rains which doesn't help either.
Atlblkz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 22:12   #194
BHPian
 
hoomdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 30
Thanked: 14 Times
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlblkz06 View Post
You'll find big gains in power in winter from a cooler air charge as well as better intercooling and engine cooling. I'm not surprised to see that your economy is higher. Also remember that A/C usage decrease your mileage slightly.

I've found that rain and wet roads can have a significant impact on mileage (Pure highway driving at 70mph - I noticed a 10% drop). When you're driving along at a constant speed and hit a patch of water, you can immediately feel the drag from the water. My theory is that driving on wet roads provides a "constant drag" on the tires that lowers your mileage. As you pointed out - city traffic is always a mess when it rains which doesn't help either.
Sound logic @ Atlblkz - but then how can we explain the higher fuel efficiency (as reported by vasudeva) in Feb-Apr than Dec-Jan? I had taken the simple assumption that in the scenario, of thermal energy converting to mechanical, less loss due to higher atmospheric temp helps. Apparently i am wrong - but then what hits the FE in Dec-Jan?
hoomdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 23:11   #195
BHPian
 
Atlblkz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 166
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoomdo View Post
Sound logic @ Atlblkz - but then how can we explain the higher fuel efficiency (as reported by vasudeva) in Feb-Apr than Dec-Jan? I had taken the simple assumption that in the scenario, of thermal energy converting to mechanical, less loss due to higher atmospheric temp helps. Apparently i am wrong - but then what hits the FE in Dec-Jan?
His wife's birthday is in December their anniversary is in January. Every year he keeps forgetting and he has to rush to the store to buy her a gift. Of course if he goes nearby, she'll know since she has all the items memorized. So he has to drive an extra 50 miles or so to pretend to have planned the purchase. Now he doesn't want to admit this extra driving to us so hes just complaining that his mileage isnt as good.

Hows that for an explanation?

But seriously - I dont know. When is the monsoon season in India?

Maybe seasonal changes in fuel? I know here in the states they switch to a less efficient cold-weather-friendly blend in winter. (Or is summer fuel less efficient?)
Atlblkz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article on how ARAI conducts its fuel-efficiency tests vishnurp99 Technical Stuff 28 3rd May 2016 12:18
Where to get fuel (lid /cap) stickers to Avoid confusion at Fuel Station? kspv Modifications & Accessories 20 18th March 2010 01:06
Swift ZXi Climate control_improve fuel efficiency pranil Technical Stuff 21 13th March 2006 18:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks