Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 9th February 2016, 22:07   #691
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Low Mileage & Black Smoke issue with Fiat Punto 90 HP Diesel

I highly recommend a independent garage like Sri Raghvendra Motors, Hoodi. These guys are also known as Bosch. My colleague maintains his VW here, a car that is still under warranty, cause he finds their service standards better than the company. They are well equipped and have a capable service head to deal with complex issues.

I maintain my Fiat at KHT, Whitefield. While they have serviced the car well, I can't comment on their technical expertise as I've not run in to any problems to date. Hope it stays that way.

Before you do anything, I'd try what FM sandeepmdas has mentioned.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th February 2016 at 22:09.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 07:21   #692

Thanks for the tips guys. Will definitely tell them to check the vacuum tubes today. As for the fuel quality I do refuel at many different bunks so I'm sure that angle can be ruled out. Also, I refuel once every week or 10 days max on average and its been 4 months at least with this issue.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like... this...

Last edited by ampere : 10th February 2016 at 08:43.
sachinkudva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 16:59   #693

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency

The lead definitely helped in my case. I told the service centre guys to check the vacuum pipes in my car engine.

So FIAT sent a three and a half page check-list to the service centre for my car. And finally after 2 days of debugging they found the Turbo pipe to have cracked (photo attached.)

This meant that the feedback didn't reach the engine so more fuel was pulled in (so the low mileage), the emission gas was not recirculated well (so the black smoke and the check engine light ON) and the Turbo system overall was affected (so the reduced pick-up). The pipe is placed somewhere at the bottom of the front bumper and is subject to damage if the underneath of the bumper hits or scrapes something.

When I took the delivery of the car this weekend I re-discovered the power of the 90HP turbo engine of my car. In love with the awesome pick-up all over again!

The replacement pipe cost me 300 INR and left me wondering how much loss I incurred all these months when I drove the car at a reduced mileage and paid for cabs when the car used to lie at the service centre.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-img_20160215_064152.jpg  

sachinkudva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 15:24   #694
BHPian

Interesting article whether filling up early in the morning (when the weather is colder) really gives you more mileage or not: http://datagenetics.com/blog/april32015/index.html
ajitkommini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 10:46   #695
BHPian

Does getting the tank full of fuel has any impact on the FE? The fuel itself weighs a lot.
So half tank or 60-70% of capacity will have any impact on the FE?
Also the loss via evaporation of fuel will be higher in case of full tank.

Here is an article i was going through on web:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/word...or-half-empty/

let me know your thoughts!
nitinrawatdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 11:11   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinrawatdun View Post
Does getting the tank full of fuel has any impact on the FE? The fuel itself weighs a lot.
So half tank or 60-70% of capacity will have any impact on the FE?
Also the loss via evaporation of fuel will be higher in case of full tank.

Here is an article i was going through on web:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/word...or-half-empty/

let me know your thoughts!

Most cars have closed fuel systems, so even though there is vaporization no fuel vapor escapes at all, unless in case of an overpressure. So i would say driving with half a tank is more fuel efficient as there is essentially less weight to carry around. But you would be hard pressed to find it / measure it in practical terms

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   Reply With Quote