Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 7th March 2018, 16:33   #721
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledavy View Post
Can you give me more idea on what you mean triggering upshift with throttle inputs. I generally step on the accelator and don't take it out, when I am 70-80 km range.
If you gain some speed and then ease of the accelerator your car upshifts.
Upshifts are always programmed in a rainge, and not at a particular speed, as long as you are above the lowest speed in the range for the upshift the car will upshift when you ease off, if you press firmly you will get a downshift too.

My ecosport with dual clutch shifts from 5 to 6 at 80, but does'nt shift down to 5th until I come to 60, If I touch the throttle again a gentle touch keeps it in 6th a slightly firmer touch triggers a down shift to 5th, but if I floor, it is a noticable 6 to 3 downshift and I can rev to the redline.
For 4 to 5 shift, if I've more than lightly touched the throttle it is at 60, but if I ease off any where beyond 45 the upshift is triggered, I usually trigger it at 50.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 17:18   #722
BHPian

This is how you get good FE on a Fiat Punto Evo 1.4 FIRE.

(the cam was mounted safely, no stunts were performed)

ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-img_20180303_07495302.jpeg
Divya Sharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 17:29   #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Upshifts are always programmed in a rainge, and not at a particular speed, as long as you are above the lowest speed in the range for the upshift the car will upshift when you ease off, if you press firmly you will get a downshift too.

My ecosport with dual clutch shifts from 5 to 6 at 80, but does'nt shift down to 5th until I come to 60, If I touch the throttle again a gentle touch keeps it in 6th a slightly firmer touch triggers a down shift to 5th, but if I floor, it is a noticable 6 to 3 downshift and I can rev to the redline.
For 4 to 5 shift, if I've more than lightly touched the throttle it is at 60, but if I ease off any where beyond 45 the upshift is triggered, I usually trigger it at 50.

Rahul
Learnt something new today. Going to practice it. Many thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.
uncledavy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 15:19   #724

I bought a new S-Cross 1.3 Zeta last month. The car has done 2100 KMS and it has been a great experience till now. Just that the mileage is very low as compared to company claim. I drive 80% on highway with AC on all the times an at controlled speed (100 KMPH constant). I have heard that the cars initially give poor mileage. Can anyone tell me that by when will the mileage start normalising?
The company claims a mileage of 24 while I am getting maximum 17 KMPL. And this is calculated manually separately in the last 3 fuel tank refills from zero to full.
rickygupta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2018, 12:13   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post

Rahul
Rightly said. Intuitively, i have been following the same, though the Octy i drive now is my first automatic. Getting very good fuel efficiency between 18-19 kmpl overall (70% highway and 30% city). Quiet surprised when i got this kind of mileage for a big vehicle, which is also the claimed mileage by Skoda. Easing on throttle definitely helps, irrespective of the speed as the ECU calculates the best gear to get the best mileage for the detected load, unless until one is flooring the pedal.

On the daily return from office, i have even managed a surprising 22-23 kmpl for the entire journey including a toll cross (gurgaon).

ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-20170522_214010.jpgARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-20180405_220136.jpg
Karvel is offline   Reply With Quote