Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 3rd October 2017, 03:47   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Drowsiness & Sleepy Driving: The silent killer on Indian roads

My god. Almost the exact same thing that happened in my case. I am deeply sorry to hear your incident.

The only difference was I was in a fiesta with seatbelt, ABS, airbags (though the impact wasn’t strong enough to deploy them thank God) and a heavy, well built car.

If I was in my Amaze maybe the seatbelts would have saved me planting my face in the windshield but the car would have likely been totaled with a broken axle or other damage.

And the narrow Amaze seats with limited neck support would have made my twenty year old whiplash far worse rather than the minor pain in the neck that I got in the deep and well padded seats with good lumbar and neck support.

In a basic Swift packed with four adults and two kids with most passengers not belted in..if any blame attaches it is to car manufacturers for making unsafe cars that cause fatalities in relatively minor crashes and the general lack of awareness about using belts for all sitting in the car.

People only started using driver seatbelts after police action - maybe the govt needs to take it to the next phase and enforce safety norms for cars, start ticketing people unless everybody in the car is wearing seatbelts.

Last edited by hserus : 3rd October 2017 at 03:50.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 19:05   #152
BHPian

Default Re: Drowsiness & Sleepy Driving: The silent killer on Indian roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My god. Almost the exact same thing that happened in my case. I am deeply sorry to hear your incident.

The only difference was I was in a fiesta with seatbelt, ABS, airbags (though the impact wasn’t strong enough to deploy them thank God) and a heavy, well built car.

People only started using driver seatbelts after police action - maybe the govt needs to take it to the next phase and enforce safety norms for cars, start ticketing people unless everybody in the car is wearing seatbelts.
I have always sworn by the seat-belt, as a precaution.

But ever since this accident occurred, I have come to value ABS and airbags - even though the airbags may not fire at all when needed. Or God help me if my car to be bought in the near future in India has Takata airbags! But I still absolutely want airbags.

Police action is the only way to enforce these things. As more people own cars or take rides in them, they learn by observing the results of their apathy toward safety and we will reach a point where these things will become second nature for the people.

A friend of mine put it very succinctly once - Most Indians are just one or two generations removed from poverty and there's still a high chance that the average people you see on the road are still poor. Most people still don't have the luxury of shelter where they can wipe their behinds. Do you think they would know enough to care about safety? If jumping that red signal gets me to my destination quicker, that's all I care about as the typical Indian. If a base model of a car comes cheap without airbags, that's what I'll get as the typical Indian as I would be stretching my budget anyways by buying a car...
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote