Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2017, 11:18   #871
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You have got your money’s worth out of the Getz and any further use is pure profit.

How much would the repairs cost - maybe a lakh including new tyres and suspension, shocks and engine mounts? And how long would the car last after the repairs, another four or five years easily from what you say.

Keep the car for as long as it lasts without repairs going up beyond a lakh, and meanwhile regularly save money in a recurring deposit or something of the sort so you can do most of your Baleno purchase out of your own funds rather than having to take out a loan or break other investments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Its a no brainer actually.

Even if you kept the car for 4 more years, the period in which it would defenitely serve you well, the cost comparison of a new car purchase vis a vis this car being retained is pretty lopsided.

The EMI of a new car itself would be 15 to 20 k, depending upon the loan term. You think you would incur so much costs in repairs/ maintenance? No way.

Do, I would advise you to ditch the urge for an upgrade, make good use of a good car that you already have, and spend the money on more important things in life instead.

Cheers.
Thanks hserus & nvldvr for confirming.

If I had bought the Swift instead of Getz (these were the 2 cars I was considering in 2006), I wouldn't even be asking this question

It's the below 2 factors that are causing me to ask this

1) Cost of the above repairs. I'll check with the ASS on this, but going by the recent cost of spares I saw, it might be quite high. But even if it is quite high, the math still works out as you folks just pointed out. Do you know if Getz spares are available outside and if I can do the suspension & engine mount work outside of ASS. For regular service I have always gone to Hyundai ASS.

2) Availability of spares over the next 4-5 years. This is more worrying for me. The car is used by my parents also and I dont want a situation where the car could be stranded or out of action due to due to non availability of spares. Do we know how is Hyundai's track record in this area? Like say for 1st gen Santro or say Sonata etc, are spares still available ? (even if that means if I have to pay through the nose)
rajeshekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 16:41   #872
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,302
Thanked: 4,140 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
  • It misses out on the safety features w.r.t the Linea.
Varun
This is something which you should look at. If your Figo doesn't come with ABS/Airbag then you should consider to keep the Linea.

Why keep a car with no safety features/good resale value?! and Why sell a car which has all safety features/very poor resale value?!
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 16:45   #873
BHPian
 
Varun_HexaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 81
Thanked: 306 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This is something which you should look at. If your Figo doesn't come with ABS/Airbag then you should consider to keep the Linea.

Why keep a car with no safety features/good resale value?! and Why sell a car which has all safety features/very poor resale value?!
Actually the Linea's gone again this week and the Figo is about to go soon and I'm looking to upgrade with a decent Automatic in-place of the Figo as a city car which comes with Dual Airbags and ABS as standard. Here's more about it :http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum...go-diesel.html
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 16:05   #874
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshekm View Post
..............Availability of spares over the next 4-5 years. This is more worrying for me. The car is used by my parents also and I dont want a situation where the car could be stranded or out of action due to due to non availability of spares. Do we know how is Hyundai's track record in this area? Like say for 1st gen Santro or say Sonata etc, are spares still available ? (even if that means if I have to pay through the nose)
Hi Friends,

Just wanted to check if anyone has inputs on the spare parts scenario for Getz and any practical advise on whether to get this work done at ASS or whether it is safe and do-able outside.

Also I can see that PatienceWins is an expert on Getz, but private messaging is disabled for me (being a newbie).

Can someone (or mods) please let PatienceWins know I'm looking for his help. I see his thread on Getz ownership, but I don't want to post there to avoid spamming.

<Note to Mods> Since I'm new here I'm not very sure whether attempting to contact a member via PM is permitted (for a newbie). Please guide me on this. Absolutely no intentions of spamming...just genuinely looking for some help </Note to Mods>

Thanks..

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th October 2017 at 16:05. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
rajeshekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 08:51   #875
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 277
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Not sure about Getz but can share something about Santro. I did 5 years service on my santro this month and the bill turned out to be whopping 10K+. This was not the big 30K kilometers service where they replace the spark plugs etc. but still was surprised to see the bill.
Question is if buying a new car will be a better option (spend lakhs) or maintain 5+ years old car (few thousands). And this is true for Maruti brand as well since had similar experience with my old estilo. There are areas that need really need attention and can vary from city to city. Common areas in Bangalore are clutch and brakes which are really damaged beyond imagination.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 09:03   #876
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,862
Thanked: 1,892 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Tell you what, check the invoice the dealer made up to bill you 10k ++

Chances are he added on all sorts of junk services and addons like throttle body cleaning, engine additives, car waxing etc to get this huge amount.

Definitely maintain the old car. Clutch replacement isn't all that costly and if you don't ride the clutch at signals where you're stopped (put the car into neutral and maybe press the brake if you're on a slope) there's less wear and tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Not sure about Getz but can share something about Santro. I did 5 years service on my santro this month and the bill turned out to be whopping 10K+. This was not the big 30K kilometers service where they replace the spark plugs etc. but still was surprised to see the bill.
Question is if buying a new car will be a better option (spend lakhs) or maintain 5+ years old car (few thousands). And this is true for Maruti brand as well since had similar experience with my old estilo. There are areas that need really need attention and can vary from city to city. Common areas in Bangalore are clutch and brakes which are really damaged beyond imagination.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 10:52   #877
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 277
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Tell you what, check the invoice the dealer made up to bill you 10k ++

Chances are he added on all sorts of junk services and addons like throttle body cleaning, engine additives, car waxing etc to get this huge amount.

Definitely maintain the old car. Clutch replacement isn't all that costly and if you don't ride the clutch at signals where you're stopped (put the car into neutral and maybe press the brake if you're on a slope) there's less wear and tear.
Well, there were issues such as car rpm going high all of a sudden (throttle body and actuator assembly cleaning), some jerks while running the car in any gear (improper calibration of fuel injector sensor and gear alignment with clutch) etc. etc., I only pointed them and not the service person.
Now assuming this is true, keeping old car should not lead to more expenses over each service (yearly once) but in that case too maintaining old one is OK. My only concern is on the confidence I have on long drives. The car should not cause any unexpected problems while on move.
rajivtelang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 11:22   #878
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,862
Thanked: 1,892 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

That rpm going high issue is an ancient and well known problem in Santro Xing / i10 Kappa type models. Usually an ECU reset fixes it.

Throttle body cleaning wouldn't really be required unless you'd run it 80k ++ kilometers at a conservative guess.

Jerks when running the car - yes possibly fuel injection, or a worn clutch, but if you have an ECU issue that leads to RPM spikes etc .. check that first and then check the rest of it.

Your car is mechanically simple and very reliable. The only issue on long drives is a lack of airbags and ABS, but if you're OK with that, it works perfectly well on highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Well, there were issues such as car rpm going high all of a sudden (throttle body and actuator assembly cleaning), some jerks while running the car in any gear (improper calibration of fuel injector sensor and gear alignment with clutch) etc. etc., I only pointed them and not the service person.
Now assuming this is true, keeping old car should not lead to more expenses over each service (yearly once) but in that case too maintaining old one is OK. My only concern is on the confidence I have on long drives. The car should not cause any unexpected problems while on move.
hserus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 14:53   #879
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,153
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshekm View Post
Hi Friends,

Just wanted to check if anyone has inputs on the spare parts scenario for Getz and any practical advise on whether to get this work done at ASS or whether it is safe and do-able outside.

Thanks..
I have not faced any issue with spare parts until now. The wear and tear items are readily available and the other parts were sourced easily - AC condenser cracked because of stone and was sourced in two days, boot lift lost tension and was sourced in 1 week. I have used the car for 10 years (85k kms) and it has been very reliable. I now service the car once in a year, with usage of synthetic oil, as my usage is less. The bill usually comes around 8k, without oil.

I have serviced the car at service centre only. As Getz did not do well, I would recommend you to stick to the service centre - spare part availability, authenticity and lack of familiarity of technicians with the car (unlike Swift).

If you service the car regularly and do preventive maintenance, the chance of any breakdown is less. It has been very reliable for me. I would recommend you to keep the car if you do not really need an upgrade. The issues you have reported above can easily be fixed (mostly wear and tear) and should not go above 1 lakh.


My only issue is lack of boot space during long drives as kids have grown up. Otherwise, I intend to keep the car for another 4 years. The resale value is less now and I do not see any worthy replacement in hatchback category (90% of my usage is in city).

Last edited by PatienceWins : 17th October 2017 at 15:00.
PatienceWins is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 16:01   #880
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have not faced any issue with spare parts until now. The wear and tear items are readily available and the other parts were sourced easily - AC condenser cracked because of stone and was sourced in two days, boot lift lost tension and was sourced in 1 week. I have used the car for 10 years (85k kms) and it has been very reliable. I now service the car once in a year, with usage of synthetic oil, as my usage is less. The bill usually comes around 8k, without oil.
===========

My only issue is lack of boot space during long drives as kids have grown up. Otherwise, I intend to keep the car for another 4 years. The resale value is less now and I do not see any worthy replacement in hatchback category (90% of my usage is in city).

Thanks a lot, PatienceWins. I'll check with the Hyundai service center on the costs for these jobs. If spare parts will still be available for another 4-5 years down the line, I guess it makes sense to retain the car. Especially since resale value also would be low now.

The age and mileage of my Getz is also is also quite similar to yours. 11 years and close to 90K. Just that mine is the pre-facelift model. I was debating between the Swift and Getz and decided to go with Getz due to the build quality, space & comfort. Still happy with it, except for the resale value and spare parts situation, both of which really are not the vehicle's fault

And yes, indeed. Once you are used to a Getz, it is difficult to be satisfied with another hatch. To me, all hatches other than Baleno seems like a downgrade/compromise. That 7 Lakhs can indeed be put to much better use

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th October 2017 at 16:05. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
rajeshekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 21:00   #881
BHPian
 
Lambydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KA 01, KL 11
Posts: 31
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

I understand that math behind this discussion and I also understand the good intentions of fellow members while saying not to spend money on your dream upgrade.
I read one member saying save that money and use it for those good things in life. I have a question on that. What if one of the good things in life is buying that dream car.
I don't think people are stupid enough to mess up their financial plan and buy that merc. Rather, it's is like , after I have saved enough for house, contingencies, health and child's education is it okay to buy my dream car if I can still afford it.
I don't think anything is wrong in that if you have taken care of other primary responsibilities.
I'd like to end with a real life story. A friend of mine got a similar advice when he wished to buy a car 5 years ago. He was adviced about the opportunity cost and how much he would make at the end of 5 years if he doesn't purchase the car. Sadly, after 5 years he neither bought a car nor mutual funds. As any 20 something bachelor he spend the additional amount partying.
Lambydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two Classics, One Car - 81 year old Packard and 101 year old owner karlosdeville Beyond Borders 5 29th August 2016 00:42
Keep my vista or save for new car? Planning crosscountry road trip in 1 year. nukeblitz Hatchbacks 23 6th September 2011 16:58
96 year old sells 55 year old Italian Fiat for Nano !! emkay456 Shifting gears 14 11th May 2009 14:02
To keep or not to keep...am confused lohithrao Sedans 13 9th April 2008 10:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks