Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 4th December 2017, 12:16   #886
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

Let me give a very 'directly from the heart' perspective about what I feel about my 9 year old 1 lakh 50 thousand run Swift Diesel, economic are going to be blasphemous when I will write the things I will write below.

1) The car's steering has recently started making a slight noise, since mine is an older version, there are no individual parts for the steering available unlike the newer swifts which get the rack unit as a separate part and power steering unit as another, my steering is one single unit costing 30 thousand. The service station is confident that they will send the steering to a lathe guy who fixes these steerings and they will replace the bush, service the steering and it will have a new life like a brand new steering unit and this will cost be only 3 thousand, I will give this a shot in a couple of thousand kilometres.

2) The timing chain has never been replaced and I feel in another 50 thousand or so km, it will need a replacement or when the noise starts, this is another 8 to 10 thousand rupees.

3) Struts were replaced at 90 thousand km with lower arms too, so in another 20 thousand or so km, I feel they will need a replacement again, this is another 10 thousand rupees.

4) Clutch was replaced 10 thousand kilometers back along with flywheel, pressure plate, release bearing, clutch plate. During this time the synchronise rings were also replaced for 1st and 2nd gear along with AC overhaul. This entire visit costed me 25 thousand rupees.

5) Tyres will be gone in another 15 to 20 thousand km, the utterly blasphemous part comes here, I want to buy the rotary type ZDI alloys when this happens along with Michelin XM2's. This will be more than 50 thousand rupees plus of spend on a car which would have run 1 lakh 70 thousand plus kilometres by then, economics call for not spending so much on something like this for a probably 10 year old car by then but hey when I hit the highway and mash the throttle, the only thing I look forward to is the next bend, the next straight and the next upshift and this version of the Swift Diesel is what gives the high's the best.

I intend to keep this forever, probably buy something new next year yes, but never let this go, someday I feel the government might bright something new up and take my car away from me, but I will register it in my home town and find ways to still keep it.
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 12:28   #887
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?

My 12 year old car...

ARTICLE: YOUR 5 year old car : Keep, Upgrade or Swap?-img_20171112_165005.jpg

When I was 5 years into the ownership, it wasn't even a distant consideration to sell it off. 12 years later, I am still using it on a daily basis!

Read an article which talks about why you should not sell your car after 5-6 years. It advocates properly maintaining the car to be able to use it for several years - this was written from the perspective of an investor.

Anyhow, I ended up buying a new car, but didn't sell off the older one.
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote