Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 19th May 2017, 15:24   #751
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to Run-In your new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No harm in going to 3000 RPM once in a while. Just keep the RPM varying continuously and do NOT lug the engine.

Keep increasing the RPM limit slowly.

Best is to be in that range as mentioned by you 2000-2200 RPM.

My confusion here is, why is Hyundai recommending a specifc range 2k - 4k rpm? They are not even saying keep it below X rpm.
pacman2881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 17:15   #752
eko
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post

All along I thought 2000 /2200 rpm is the max advisable. Did they make a mistake while writing the manual or am I missing something?
The production process and metallurgy is so advanced and refined now that the running -in does not mean much for modern vehicles.
eko is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2017, 20:23   #753
BHPian

How to vary the rpms in Automatic car ? I have recently purchases Jazz CVT and it tends to run at 1100rpm for speeds as low as 10 to 40-50km/hr. Any special trick to run in a CVT transmission engine ?
adi_gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2017, 20:55   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Any special trick to run in a CVT transmission engine ?
Unique problem.

I think Jazz has a sports mode. You can use paddles shifts and varying inputs of A pedal to get some variations.
Try to drive it up and down some ghats it will help.
Apart from engine another part of run-in is the gearbox.
For manual/DSG GB it's about using all the gears to help everything set in.
For a CVT i think the bands between the drive and driven side need should be ser in correctly by giving it reasonable stress.

The good thing for CVT is that the band will always move around and run in easily. The band is what helps keep engine always maintain low rpm range.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 22:18   #755
BHPian

There are really 3 points related to running in engines.

1. It is certainly not true that there is so much precision in manufacturing that bedding in of the piston rings in the cylinders is not required. Though it is probably true that if it required 2500 miles 20 years ago it probably requires 1000 miles today. Hence, all manufacturers do recommend running in. Their recommendation really relates to going easy in a new engine. This also applies to all the bush bearings and shafts.
2. It is believed that most manufacturers do some running in at the works to avoid too many warranty issues as owners are notorious in not reading manuals and recommendations. I think those who are in the engine manufacturing industry can comment on this.
3. If bedding in is required then it does mean that some metal particles are going to be in the lube oil. These might be very small but could cause some damage to the moving parts. Hence, might be prudent to change the oil after 1000 km at the first service.
ashokabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 13:12   #756
BHPian

First service is usually 5k or 10k for the more refined engines. For a TUV3OO should I go and enforce an oil change to synthetic oil after 1500-2000km?
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 18:55   #757
BHPian

Driving a brand new rental car Chevy Dodge Journey in the US. There is no such concept of break in for these vehicles. Got it with 12miles on the ODO. No performance issues or any stutters of any kind.
diyguy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote