Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car

Old 4th October 2015, 09:29   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
I had a swift zdi, and it was stolen in january this year in Moti Nagar Delhi. . ..

Please advise me what are my choices here.
Hey, sorry for your your loss, I know what it feels like - we had an Activa stolen. If you want a really easy system for a car tracker, keep a cheap android phone with internet and GPS enabled somewhere inside your car. With Google latitude, you can get real time location of that device. You'll need to keep it in a hidden location, with a power connection/battery pack to last a while.

Also, the basic premise of car security system is that your car is more difficult to steal than someone else's. So do check out some security systems , and maybe you might like some.

Also ask the dealer to give in writing that VW cars are impossible to steal.
blackwasp is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 21:07   #227
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...car+anti+theft

Amazon has this simple lock type cluch lock device. A bit tedious to use but could be effective.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:25   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
. With Google latitude, you can get real time location of that device. .
Google latitude services are stopped. The best idea would be to fit a tracking device to your car like how all call center cab operators have. I think there are a lot of service providers for that.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 17:36   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/275-4289219-9611463?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=onam+technologies+car+anti+theft

Amazon has this simple lock type cluch lock device. A bit tedious to use but could be effective.
Have you been using this device? If yes, could you please post some pictures?
sidzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:16   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzz View Post
Have you been using this device? If yes, could you please post some pictures?
No buddy i do not have the device installed in my car. I just happened to come across same on Amazon so decided to post it here.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 08:56   #231
BHPian

Default Theft prevention in the 21st century

I woke up to read a disturbing article in the papers today.

http://www.timesofindia.com/city/del...w/49741508.cms

I've got a Honda Civic and a Grande Punto, with only the former reinforced with a gear lock. At the time of buying it in 2007, I was told that it wasn't necessary but I got it installed for peace of mind. When I bought the Punto in 2009, I was convinced that the modern cars were secure enough to warrant any additional protection.

Three months back, when the ignition lock in my Civic failed and Honda quoted an enormous figure to replace the same, I relied on a local trusted Keymaker. The ease with which he accessed and repaired and replaced the same left me in awe and feeling vulnerable at the same time. I let that thought pass although I started employing the gear lock again, a practice I had left for the last three years.

Now after reading this article, the ease with which these criminals get through modern security systems and even traditional measures like gear locks is scary. One assumed that it would be the Marutis etc being easy targets but high end cars are also being stolen with relative ease.

In such a scenario, how do we protect our vehicles? What can be considered as fail safe measures?
coolkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 09:20   #232
BHPian

Default Re: Theft prevention in the 21st century

The answer to your question in one word 'NOTHING'. There is nothing that can be called as fully fail safe in order to prevent theft of your car in an age where a car like Mercedes S class can be knicked in a jiffy.

What can one do is however to make the life of a car thief a bit more difficult. The thief is there to steal a car in as little time as possible, hence the more number of theft deterrents in the car, the more likely that he'll quit the process. The gear lock which you have deployed is a step in the right direction, it may not be a failsafe thing but is surely a deterrent. One more that can be done to make his life a little more complicated is to remove a relevant fuse from the fuse box, which will render the car immobile. I do the same thing in my 800. As everyone knows that 800 is the easiest thing to steal, more deterrents are required for it. By removing the fuse, he is more likely to be confused. He is not likely to diagnose the car in the short window of time that he has. Not a failsafe way but surely a deterrent. So to sum up, nothing is failsafe in 21st century. Only thing that can be done is to deploy as many deterrents as possible and following other precautions also.

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2016 at 15:05. Reason: Language
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 19th July 2016, 21:11   #233
BHPian

Here is an article from a former car thief that interested me and am posting it here. All suggestions made by the author to prevent/delay car theft seems good enough.

Mods: Please move/delete the thread if necessary.

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 19th July 2016 at 21:14.
petrolhead_chn is offline   Reply With Quote