Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 16:44   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 213
Thanked: 164 Times
Default 1978 Westfalia Camper

My Dad found this Campervan in Goa a few months ago, We had been looking for a VW Camper for over 3 years so we decided to get this one and sell our '74 Microbus.
This Bus is a very original 1978 Westfalia, The wooden camper interior is in very good condition. All the upholstery is original, This bus was originally LHD but has been converted to RHD. The engine is the original 1.8L aircooled flat-4. The Bus had not been driven/started for about 7 years but our mechanic in Goa just got it running, It is currently at his garage. We will be returning to Goa in about a month to drive it back to Mumbai after the mechanic has got it ready.
Attached Images
     

Last edited by RandomUsername : 29th April 2011 at 16:52.
RandomUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 19:19   #2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
My Dad found this Campervan in Goa a few months ago, We had been looking for a VW Camper for over 3 years so we decided to get this one and sell our '74 Microbus.
This Bus is a very original 1978 Westfalia, The wooden camper interior is in very good condition. All the upholstery is original, This bus was originally LHD but has been converted to RHD. The engine is the original 1.8L aircooled flat-4. The Bus had not been driven/started for about 7 years but our mechanic in Goa just got it running, It is currently at his garage. We will be returning to Goa in about a month to drive it back to Mumbai after the mechanic has got it ready.
Congratulations a lot.

Though i have already congratulated your Dad over phone, it is immense pleasure knowing that you got hold of a very Original Camper.

All the best
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 20:40   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune, Bahrain
Posts: 438
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

Congratulations!
Thats a beautiful looking Campervan!
One more to add to the collection!
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:38   #4
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

WOW !! Congratulations on acquiring such a good condition camper.

Are you planning to have any restorations / modifications done? From the looks of it, the van looks to be in great shape. but given the fact it belongs to Goa, maybe it might need some tinkering here and there.

What are your plans?
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:36   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 213
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

We will be getting some minor bodywork done(there is a little bit of rust in some places) after getting it to Mumbai. Our Mechanic in Goa will be doing all the mechanical work before we drive it to Mumbai.
We don't currently have any plans to do a proper restoration. or any modifications.
RandomUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:40   #6
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
We will be getting some minor bodywork done(there is a little bit of rust in some places) after getting it to Mumbai. Our Mechanic in Goa will be doing all the mechanical work before we drive it to Mumbai.
We don't currently have any plans to do a proper restoration. or any modifications.
wow,this is a great find,i too think you need not go for major restoration as the vehicle seems to be very healthy,so how many camper vans you know to be still alive and road worthy.congrats again
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:12   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,624
Thanked: 8,057 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
My Dad found this Campervan in Goa a few months ago, We had been looking for a VW Camper for over 3 years so we decided to get this one and sell our '74 Microbus.
Congratulations, glad to see the bus being ressurected. I had seen it many years back in Goa, should have some pics somewhere too. Happy motoring!
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:18   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 213
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
wow,this is a great find,i too think you need not go for major restoration as the vehicle seems to be very healthy,so how many camper vans you know to be still alive and road worthy.congrats again
I know of only 4 Bay-Window Westfalia's in India, Including your white '68(?). It seems to be the only road worthy Bay-Window Westfalia right now, Until this one is ready!


Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations, glad to see the bus being ressurected. I had seen it many years back in Goa, should have some pics somewhere too. Happy motoring!
Thanks Karl!
I had seen a picture of this bus somewhere on Team-Bhp before!
RandomUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 01:33   #9
BHPian
 
vw splitscreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Goa/UK
Posts: 153
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

Really pleased Dad managed to buy the westie,we regularly used to drive
round there to take a look at it just sitting there, year after year and not moving,and was always surprised that it never seemed to deteriorate ,and always looked a good solid bus. Sorry were going to miss you on your trip to Goa,but hopefully catch you again next time, Well done on securing the best original Westie i have seen in India
vw splitscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 10:31   #10
BHPian
 
S@~+#0$#'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 700
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

Congratulations RandomUserName!! Very nice Westie you got yourself.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 14:56   #11
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
I know of only 4 Bay-Window Westfalia's in India, Including your white '68(?). It seems to be the only road worthy Bay-Window Westfalia right now, Until this one is ready!



Thanks Karl!
I had seen a picture of this bus somewhere on Team-Bhp before!
Thank Mate, even i have the same number of four present, but think yours doesn't need much efforts to hit the road,all the best for the work, and wish to see her rolling, and one more exciting yet common thing amongst us is that our dads are equal enthusiasts too, i want to congratulate your dad for his success of struggle to have this piece of love,kindly convey my best wishes to him,Keep revving.
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 21:38   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,154
Thanked: 707 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

My heartiest congratulations to the Shirkes dad mum et all. I don't see any other family truly enjoying the camper more than them. Guys do let me know when out on your next picnic cheers
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 11:51   #13
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

i changed the pop top canvas of my bus and is available locally ,for a very good price and quality, i you ned one ,let me know i will forward you the contact number of the fellow
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 10:43   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 213
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

I'm not sure if we need the canvas, We have not yet tried raising the Pop-Top, I know the canvas is available from Vintage Essentials.
RandomUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 14:51   #15
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: 1978 Westfalia Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
I'm not sure if we need the canvas, We have not yet tried raising the Pop-Top, I know the canvas is available from Vintage Essentials.
yes you are correct for the source,they too have in stock the canvas for the T25 campers,i recently purchased a coco jute mat set from them,and believe me they look great,real worth buying.
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An indian camper anyone? superavi The Indian Car Scene 64 18th May 2017 15:47
Goodbye to old faithful (MM540) hello to a new friend (Bolero Camper) desigNation 4x4 Vehicles 110 20th August 2014 12:38
1988 Westfalia Camper inderpalgill Super-Cars & Imports in India 18 21st February 2012 12:03
1978 - Fiat 1100 || 2010 - Fiat Grande Punto Emotion MJD! Sujith1100 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 146 25th October 2011 21:53
Acquiring a 1978 Toyota Corolla Hi-Delux hillram Luxury, Imports & Niche 8 23rd September 2008 13:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks