Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 7th March 2014, 17:48   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrodky View Post
Hello Scooterheads,
I am wandering through the dictionaries to find words appropriate to express my feelings after watching a man as old as Mr. Narsingha Rao chasing and bringing the dreams of any scooterhead to reality. Hats off to you sire and to Sushil, you are proving to be a Gennie now. I wonder where that "pot-to-be-rubbed" is. :-D
Hi Petrodky

Good Day

Thanks for the appreciation. Yes the vintage fever is slowly catching up and people who had thrown away the things once thinking that it was useless are getting back to the same. The phrase "Old is Gold" is proving to be correct now as finding a vintage two or a four wheeler has become as rare as finding gold dust.
I just keep on thanking my stars that I was almost about to sell off my dad's scooter for a petty amount of Rs1500.00 before I started this project and when I had bought a new bike for myself. But there was something else within myself which was preventing me from doing it . I am glad that I did not take a hasty decision then or else this thread would not have existed and I would have lived my life in regret of something which could have been done.
I am enclosing herein a detailed oil change procedure as per your request and for the benefit of all. Although the procedure to drain oil is the same in all models of vintage vespa or the bajaj150 as it was known in India bt the oil filler might be located almost close to what is mentioned in the procedure.(Courtsey:http://www.scooterhelp.com/ )

A two stroke engine lubricates itself in two separate ways. The gearbox, clutch, and drive is lubricated by standard gearbox oil. There is no oil pump but instead the gears running in the oil manage to pass enough oil around the gearbox to lubricate it properly. Gearbox oil in a Vespa scooter should be changed about every 3000 miles with new SAE 80 gear oil, which is the same as SAE 30 motor oil. For some reason oil manufacturers have different viscosity definitions for motor oil vs. gear oil. This is a constant cause of confusion when buying transmission oil for your scooter. If in doubt remember that oil for car engines is crankcase oil and oil specifically for scooter transmissions is gear oil.. Below are directions for most large frame Vespas. These instructions generally apply to small frames Vespas as well but the filler and drain holes are in different locations.

Tools - You will need:

A 10mm wrench or socket and driver
Large flathead screwdriver
About 1 1/4 pints of ST 90 gear oil (SAE 30 motor oil) with a syringe or hose attachment to the container
Oil drain pan
It is a good idea to run the bike around for a while to get the oil hot as it will flow much more easily. Place the bike on its kick stand on level ground and look underneath the right hand side of the engine. You'll see a small bolt that (if it is not covered in grime) should have OLIO printed on the head. Below is a shot of the oil drain bolt location on a large frame. (The oil drain hole is located just under the lowest point of the casing on a small frame Vespa.)

Step 1 Place an oil drain pan below the bolt and loosen it allowing the oil to drain. Be careful not to lose the small sealing washer around the outer rim as this can be reused if necessary although it is best if replaced. Once the oil plug is removed the oil will flow out of the crankcase into the oil pan below.

Step 2 Once all the oil has drained out, refit the oil drain plug, but only turn it about 1/2 to 1 turn past finger tight. Once the oil has drained refit the drain plug with a new felt or brass sealing washer. DO NOT tighten more than about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more than hand tight. The small diameter and soft aluminum casing make it easy to strip the threads. If you find that the threads are stripped or you strip them yourself I have had success with using white plumbers tape around the threads. It can be bought at any hardware store and is basically a very thin plastic tape that plumbers use to seal threads when connecting gas or water lines. Wrap a 2" length around the threads and carefully tighten it in place.

Step 3 Find the oil filler hole which is just to the rear and slightly below the gear selector box. Remove the slotted bolt with a large screwdriver. The new oil goes in this hole and needs to be filled up to the filler hole level when the bike is on the stand on level ground. I use an attachment tube which screws on to a standard quart of oil. These are available at most auto parts stores.

Step 4 The shot below shows the oil just at the filler hole level, (and a little dribbling out. Refit the oil filler screw/bolt and double check you are not getting any leaks from the oil drain plug below. Auto parts stores will take your old oil for recycling and should not charge you for it. Most recycling centers will take it for no charge and it really does mess things up if you just dump it.

The detailed lubrication chart is also attached for your reference
I am also enclosing images of the same hope you find it helpful. In case of any questions Please let me know

Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Attached Images

sushil_n79 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 15:56   #272

Default Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Thank you Sushil for sharing your story as well as saving a beauty from miserable death.
Well, the info furnished by you is a perfect DIY guide. Thank you for that too. But above all, the website you've referred is simply superb. Let me change the oils and get bacl to you. Till then, Scoot hard!!!!
Petrodky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 23:29   #273
BHPian

Hi All

Good Day

Its been indeed a long time since I updated this thread. I had been really busy on account of work, wherein it involved traveling and working almost 12 to 13 hours a day. As a result of the same I could not devote much time to the scooter. In fact I had been to Mumbai and had an opportunity to visit my cousin who is staying in Thane City whose scooter I was thinking of restoring. It clearly showed that time had taken a toll on the scooter and it had been covered with even more dust than before and also with the vital parts like tail light and all missing. I felt sad looking at it and as had spoken to my eldest brother was advised by him to give him some more time to decide about his plans with the scooter. He was in a dilemma whether to invest about INR 25000-30,000 in restoration of the same or go for a new two wheeler for his son who is now completing his studies. At one point of time he also had told me that since his current scooter is a Honda eterno he shall restore the bajaj and keep it for himself and give the eterno to his son, but nothing had been decided as of now. Presenting some pictures of the scooter in its current state.

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img_20140329_110349.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img_20140329_110416.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img_20140329_110427.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img_20140329_110547.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img_20140329_110702.jpg  

sushil_n79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 20:37   #274
BHPian

Hi All

Although at times we are unable to decide in life things that have to be done but our circumstances to a great extent determine out decision to go ahead with a decision in life to do something. Personally speaking , my restoration project although I did it three years ago in 2011, I had been planning about the same since 2008 when I had purchased my bike and the scooter was Resting in Peace.

It has been rightly said that history repeats itself and it did again in the month of April2014 when our family again got together for my niece’s wedding. All my cousins including my elder brother about whom I had mentioned in the beginning of the thread had an opportunity to see and ride the scooter and really felt nostalgic about it. Infect ,y elder brother was really moved and emotional about his feeling after riding the scooter as he was reminded of the good old days

After seeing my scooter my cousin is a little positive that we can do up his scooter and get it done as close to my project. I hope he decides something soon.

Presenting a picture which has got all of my immediate relatives who had an opportunity to ride my father’s scooter at one point of time or other in their lives, presenting a picture for your kind perusal.(From L-R My Eldest Brother in Law,My Eldest Sister, My Eldest Cousin, My Elder brother and Second Cousin Ramesh of course with me in front).In the second picture its just my 4 brothers. it was indeed a nostalgic reunion.

Regards

Sushil Narayanan
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-img_20140111_105327.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-thread-pic.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-thread-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 24th September 2014 at 20:37. Reason: .
sushil_n79 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 15:35   #275
BHPian

Hi sushil
Need help from you
Inspired by your restoration..
I got an offer for Rs 15K Bajaj 150 model 1972. How much I could buy this. Condition of body is good. Single owner, Fitness Certification to be done by me which is due.
Is it worth buying. I have previous experience of restoring 2 -3 vehicles. Wanted to know what price I could buy this according to you.

Ananth
Attached Images

Ananth_shukti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 10:19   #276
BHPian

Hi ananth
Thanks for the compliments
There are a couple of things to keep on mind. I have the list. Will keep you informed since I am home .I am in office and do not have access to that information in the meantime request you to post pictures of higher resolution forme to assess the condition of vehicle
Regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 24th October 2014, 02:07   #277
BHPian

Smile Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Hi Everyone
Seasons greetings to you and to all my fellow team bhpians, May this festive season bring lots of peace, prosperity and good health to you all.Also it gives me great pleasure to let you all know that tomorrow it will be three years since I completed this restoration and bought my dad's scooter back home in her new avtaar. It has become smoother and more comfortable with time. In fact the best part is my 3 year old son enjoys the rides on it while going to school n returning home whenever possible. All my child hood memories I am able to see when he takes a ride with me on the same scooter that I used to when I was his age. He gets very happy when the lights are switched on and says chalo dadaji ke scooter mein jaaenge kya aaj? When I see this the feel the purpose of restoration has been achieved and as people say a grandson is grandfather's second innings, I feel that my dad would also have been happy had he been with me today. But i am sure he will continue to keep blessing me forever.

I am planning to get the Rubber grip for the clutch lever and the break lever which will enhance the period looks. As anjan sir said restoration is a life long process.I want it to be a gift for the scooter on its third year after restoration and 40 years after manufacture. As someone said life becomes naughty at 40.(i.e from 1974-2014).

Someone had asked me once how much I spent on the restoration and what was the cost. I have the details written down just that i have to find that note book. I shall be uploading the details of the cost of restoration but the details of the first service will attach shortly.

However right now its time to collate a list of all the things to do when one goes for purchase of old scooter. I am enclosing herein a few guidelines which were taught to me by my trusted friend and mechanic at Bhopal Mr Jabeer Ali during my college days.

The below is just an exhaustive list. I would request the experts also for suggestions.

Things to do when going in for a scooter or purchasing a used scooter:

1. Take appointment to meet the seller and show up on time.

2. Have your mechanic accompany you if possible.

3. If not possible, first observe the body by checking it in general.

4. Check for any dents or scratches especially the under body and the nuts and bolts if its in body colour that means that the vehicle is painted recently without disassembling the same and calls for suspicion.

5. If possible open the side cover and inspect the engine area especially the rear near the rear suspension.

6 A poorly maintained scooter will have dirt and grime there. check if the rubber cover is there behind the carburetor unit.

7. If the person allows open the spark plug and check for any traces of oil on it it will show the health of the engine, also check the inner china part if its light in colour that means that the engine is in good health. though some around of carbon is normal in a two strike engine the spark plug should not be fouled.

8. open the carburetor black box and check for the cleanliness inside,especially of the air filter for clogging and grime.

9. check the rubber hose which is connected to the body from the same it should not have cracks on it.

10.try to hold the kick lever in the middle near where its connected to the engine by the right hand and try to slightly lift it up to check of there is any movement in the engine alignment. this will give you an idea of the engine foundation bush.

11. depress the clutch a few times to check if its hard.

12. try to engage the kick lever while the clutch is depressed to check for any unusual sound.

13. release the lever and try to use the kick lever to check its smoothness while going down and while coming up.

14 there are two things here if the engine is good in compression you will feel the pressure and there will be resistance while pushing the kick lever down. If its going easily that means that the compression is low.

15. Have a No 10 spanner and before starting the engine check the condition of the engine oil by slightly loosening the oil filling nut to let a few drops of oil out before tightening it again, look for the colour first but also try to touch it by your index finger and thumb and rub them in between to check if any metal grains of hard sand like substance is felt. This is important as will give you an idea about the condition of the counter springs indie the engine if you feel the grains then in all probability something is getting grind-ed inside. this is not applicable for new and rebuilt engines as its normal for newly built engines to set in . Ln an old scooter all one should feel is smoothness.

16 Start the engine and hear the sound it should be only engine noise and nothing else that means no unnecessary buzzing sound or rattling sound.when you rev up the engine slightly check out for vibrations in the body and body sound especially near the front mudguard When you switch off the engine check the movement of kick lever if it moves a little up with a thud sound that means that the rubber bushes inside the engine chamber in which the pn either side of kick gear pn which it sits needs replacement.

17 Also when the engine is running try to depress the clutch there shuold be no buzzing sound if there is then that means that the clutch plates needs attention.

18.Try to engage the vehicle in all the gears to check if gear changing is smooth because if you hear a rattling sound especially when engaging the second gear that means that the gear cross in the engine needs replacement. Also observe if the vehicle moves a little the moment you start leaving the clutch of towards the end which is an indication that the clutch wire is more tight than required.

19 After this take a ride you will know how the scooter is behaving.

20. while riding check the pickup as in how smoothly the vehicle picks up speed.

21. check for handle bar movement especially when vehicle is standing still and while riding it should be smooth movement to left and right and stability if its shaking profusely or the vehicle is pulling to one side it means that the fork is bent and needs repairing which is a time consuming work.

22. check if the front brakes are functional and the condition of the hub pin in the front wheel after stopping the scooter and placing it on stand to check the wobbling of the wheel and the condition of the front bearings when rotating the Tyre with hand. look for any sounds there as well. IF the vehicle is serviced and greased regularly the wheel will be free and there will be no sound when the wheel is in motion

23. Remove the suspension cover to inspect that area.to see any unusual elements like crack etc.

24. After removing the scooter from stand push the front handle downwards and quickly release it to check the condition of the front suspension. If the vehicle bounces back quickly the suspension is good and if it takes time they need attention.Do the same for rear part as well to check rear suspension.

25. also observe when starting the engine and driving it if its giving excessive smoke as too much smoke is a sign of damaged oil seal inside the engine.

26. Check the condition of tyres both front and rear .also look out for traces of oil in the rear tyre rim as oil there is a sign that the oil seal below it is damaged and the oil from the engine can escape and leak over a period of time.

27. Also check if the lights and horn are working and in proper order.

If all of the above are satisfactory then one can go for it provided the things listed below are also satisfactory

Hi Ananth

First of all I take this opportunity to thank you again for the compliments, Sorry for the delay as was busy with the festival of lights so could not reply earlier.

There are a couple of things to be kept in mind as listed below.

1.The first and the most important is the paperwork and its authenticity.
Its always a good idea to check if the vehicle has the original RC which is a little difficult but not impossible. please ensure if the vehicle has had any insurance claims in the past. Also check the name of the owner on RC and as registered in the RTO office.Though with the kind of RTO services and Govt we have this sounds like a herculean task but it will go a long way to ensure that you have peace of mind later on.

2.Look out if the vehicle is having insurance and if its active it not when was it last lapsed also check from the insurance authorities if any claims were made on the scooter

3. Check with the polite authorities to check if there are any pending challans on this vehicle name or any history of previous accident or killing cases. This is a very very important step and should not be ignored.

4. The scooter in the picture looks clean however pictures can be deceptive its always a good idea to personally inspect the vehicle and to take a ride to check the condition of the engine before arriving at the conclusion.I zoomed the picture that you had posted and saw that the stephny bracket and the front basket seems to be from the later models. also though the colour shade is good and gives a period look, it will need some polishing and cleaning before the full shine is revived. Also if you notice there is something black between the front and the rear seat not able to make out if its the petrol tank lid or the grime from the oil spill over as it used to be very common for the area under the rear seat to be unclean.I will be posting an exhaustive list of all the things one should keep in mind when inspecting any vehicle for buying especially scooters.I am unable to make out much from the picture that you have attached therefore I would request you to post some high resolution pictures please especially of the under body.

5. I feel 15K is a little high for the scooter.As these are obsolete vehicles Around 8-10 should be enough if its not in an immaculate condition which means that it has not been restored recently. This is because if you are planning to buy it and restore it it will increase the cost of the restoration. but again there are two opinions to this some people feel its better to buy a scooter in working condition for 1500-2000 INR and invest 15K on it to restore it completely and that way we are sure that whatever is done to the scooter is under our supervision, whereas there are a few others who feel that its better to pay more and get a scooter which is in good condition so that everything is taken care of and there are no additional expenses. Again it should not happen that one pays a bomb for a scooter and ends up spending the same to get it done.Though some people may as well do it and learn but may not be motivated to restore and sell it off or settle for something less in terms of quality of restoration done. I would suggest if you are not planning on the ground up restoration immediately after purchase it should be better. Of course nothing equals passion for something for someone it may be a piece of junk but for another person it can be a vintage classic. depends on how one looks at it.

6.Since you have already had an experience of restoring 2 -3 vehicles would love to see you share some of your valuable inputs on this thread for the benefit of all since this was my fist resetoration and that too with a lot of learning.

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan.

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 24th October 2014 at 02:09. Reason: correction
sushil_n79 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 10:23   #278
BHPian

Hi sushil
Thanks for your prompt reply.
After a week's dragging, I have purchased the vehicle for Rs 20K. Knowing its a premium price. For me, I wanted specifically 1st owner vehicle & a direct buyer, which now a days becoming difficult to get due to heavy selling in olx/quikrs.
The vehicle body is in excellent condition & engine bay is in immaculate condition after 40+ years of service. The old man kept the vehicle in damn good condition hence could not resist buying.
Yet to take the delivery. will post the pictures on Wednesday.

The vehicle monogram Bajaj 150 (front) is missing, not sure I could get the same here in Bangalore, will try & get back to you if I don't get it.
Thanks for your advise.
I am going to read your article line by line today.
Old 27th October 2014, 11:17   #279
BHPian

Hi sushil
could you please send the manual soft copies to my e mail id. Unfortunately I could not get this when I bought the scooter.
e mail id - pna0211@gmail.com
Old 28th October 2014, 23:32   #280
BHPian

Hi Ananth
Hearty congratulations on your new acquisition. Eagerly awaiting the pictures. I shall mail you the owners manual soon. Till then Happy scootering and do update the pictures here. BTW if you are not able to get the logo set let me know I can get it for you from hyderabad and will gift it to you for finding a buddy for my scoot. Last but not the least my heartfelt thanks to anjan sir and Karlosdeville for thanking me for the post

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 28th October 2014 at 23:34.
Old 29th October 2014, 09:47   #281
BHPian

Hi Sushil
thanks, you are such a humble & wonderful person. I got the logo in Balaji Auto Bangalore, yet to go & buy it, not sure how much he would quote.
The owner is making me wait endlessly to deliver with one or the other reasons. Was suppose to take it today, got postponed to tomorrow.
Have taken a risk of not even seeing the scooter in starting condition, hope it will not have any major repairs. I am not planning for a complete restoration as it would add lot of cost. Planning to get the mechanicals right first as there are plenty of excellent mechanics in Mysore.
please message me your contact no to 9900144315 so that I could talk to you.

Thanks.
Old 29th October 2014, 11:35   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
24. After removing the scooter from stand push the front handle downwards and quickly release it to check the condition of the front suspension. If the vehicle bounces back quickly the suspension is good and if it takes time they need attention.Do the same for rear part as well to check rear suspension.
Thanks for such an exhaustive check list. It speaks of your experience and passion.
With regards to point 24, I think it should be the other way round. Because, if the suspension is springing back soon it means the damper is making no action. There is no oil in it. The damper or shock-absorber's job is to delay the rebound while the tyre hits a bump or pothole. The ideal test would be to check after how many rebounds the scooter settles after giving a quick push along the fork, holding the front brake. The scooter has to come back to rest immediately after only 1 bounce back. This applies to rear shocker / motorcycles/ cars/ any other vehicle as well. That is how the spring & shock absorber is designed - to rebound and settle in 1 oscillation after being compressed
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 10:35   #283
BHPian

Hi Sushil & also all experts
with your permission using your post, hope its ok with you. Since I am not going for complete restoration & there has been so many Bajaj/Vespa experts posting their comments, thought this is the right place to seek help.

Your post helped a ton on understanding difference between Vespa & Bajaj (like horn cast, mudguard fish, tail lamp cover etc) & also gave a real pleasure of going through such detailed experiences of vespa owners. Today when I was about to leave to office, my house owner started mentioning about his Vespa days & was explaining how difficult it was to own one those days. He was saying there is no fun in driving today's generation scooters, true of coures.

Posting pictures. Took the scooter y'day night from the owner.

Upon studying, understand this batch of 1972 ( Have posted the write up on identification & Series no on Chassy & Engine no)

Need help from Experts on -

1. The Bajaj Logo place is supports Vespa logo - Not sure what to do, if I use Bajaj logo, it does not fit, don't want to use Vespa logo as its a Bajaj Scooter.
2. Not able to make out whether the Paint is original or repainted , not sure 40+ year old vehicle’s paint remains intact – could not seek much help from owner on these details as he wasn’t so open
3. Was the tail lamp the same in 72 model or the double compartment like 60’s vespa – Read on the website that the bajaj’s came out with the same tail lamp with dull black finish on the metal
4. What is the wires hanging in the glove box – is it ignition switch ? i remember seeing this on later models of Bajaj – Did Vespa had this switch ?
5. Handle Grips & levers – Was those original or it was the white ones without the round edges.
6. Below the rear seat, there is a big patch, there are no welding marks, presume this could be welder’s gift on the paint surface while velding the rear clamp – Need experts help on this, also similar burn marks below front seat
7. On the floor mat area, there are no holes for the mat – Was vespa / bajaj like this, how do i put the aluminium beeding, should i drill holes on this area or retain the rubber mat as it is without going for aluminium beeding – i would love to use it without mat though.
8. Will be removing the front abnormal sized box soon
9. Not able to find any logo on engine bay bajaj or piggeo , need to see after the wash
10. The Serial nos 03 Varient is correct as per the Vehicle identification note & it proves that this is the first batch of Bajaj between 1971 to 1973
11. Should i put Bajaj 150 logo or vespa logo – Need opinion on Vespa experts on this.
12. What would be the cost of 2 tyres

Planning to do below as semi restoration as the paint looks good (Also no money left to do anything now)
1. Wash & Service , Gear Oil change – Bring it to running condition
2. Restore the dull paint , though there are patches, scratches , don’t want to get into the dismantling, reassembling job . Post Sunny & M80 restorations, i felt that if the Vehicle is in running condition, its better to just do a partial restoration of aesthetics & major mechanical jobs & run the vehicle, this saves time, money & also retains the originality of the vehicle.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...bajaj-m80.html (Semi-restoration of my Bajaj M80)
(though there were not many replies on this, personally i am very happy to restore the paint job without going through the pain of painter, who in my opinion is the toughest of the tasks of restoration, one they would never do what we say & the time they take & waste others time)
3. Remove the front box, Front mud guard, side guards as this gives the nice view of the mudguard curves & without these accessories it looks good
4. Restore the aluminium shine (Dull shine) on the handle bar
5. Restore the handle grips, change the levers to sharp edges fron the round ones
6. Try to restore seats , if not change the seat covers. There is one Excellent guy on the entrance of Bommanahalli – Arun seat works , he got my seats done in 1 hr so that i need not come again for a price of Rs 280 for 2 seats (Including entire seat pad). So will go back to him
7. Change both tyres – need to see how much it costs
8. Bring back the chrome on the headlight rim – not sure whether it was changed to black or it was originally like this
9. Change the side box lock & Petrol locks back to old manual styles (without locks)
10. Repaint the wheel with the same cream colour
11. Don’t know where to source the side foot rest with a flat one (Aluminium one)
12. Remove the mudflaps
Please help with your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00709.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 30th October 2014, 10:42   #284
BHPian

Adding pictures. Due to file size, could not make it in one go.

Bajaj Model Identification

Posting the Text for Bajaj Model Identification as it is not legible in the picture.

Serial numbers are prefix **C ( Chassis ) and **E ( Engine ) the first two digits is the model variant. Vehicles produced at the Waluj Plant will have an extra ‘W’ mark for distinct identification.
•03 Variant – Bajaj 150 ( from April 1971-1973 )

The first model for bajaj once the piaggio agreement ended, they were the same as the Vespa 150 previously made under licence for the past 10 years. The horncast was wide and rounded like the vba/vba but had a hex horncast badge. The headset was a rounded type like the vba/vbb but raised volcano style mount with a round speedo. Very early production models were badged Vespa 150, eventually to display the bajaj 150 badge. Engine was 2port 3speed 150cc CBI (contact breaker ignition).
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00716.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-dsc00718.jpg  

Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".-vehicle-identifn.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 2nd November 2014, 22:54   #285
BHPian

Smile Re: Restoration and The Untold story of Our Prized Possession "The 1974 Bajaj 150".

Hi Ilangop,
Good Day
Thanks for the detailed explanation of the same as I had misunderstood the same based on the explanation what was given by my mechanic at Bhopal but never really went into the details. Moreover thanks for appreciating me on my post I hope it would be helpful for others.

Hi Ananth

Good Day

Congratulations once again. The scooter has been maintained pretty well for its age and all it can say by looking a t the pictures is that it has grown gracefully old just like any other classic. Owning a vespa 150 or a bajaj150 is special in itself as whenever you ride the vehicle you can experience the simplicity of the past. These scooters were very easy to maintain considering their simple designs. I honor your post and the value that you have added to this thread. thanks for the same again. Now coming to the questions that you had:

1. The Bajaj Logo place is supports Vespa logo - Not sure what to do, if I use Bajaj logo, it does not fit, don't want to use Vespa logo as its a Bajaj Scooter. Ideally if we look at it in terms of originality yes it should have a bajaj logo on the front considering that its a bajaj 150. but when i look at the center frame its from vespa which can be identified with the broad mid section just above the horn. I am not sure if a piaggio logo with bajaj 150 monogram on the front would look good would request the experts to comment on the same as even i have not seen any scooter like this before.

2. Not able to make out whether the Paint is original or repainted , not sure 40+ year old vehicle’s paint remains intact – could not seek much help from owner on these details as he wasn’t so open. It may not be the original shade and seems has been repainted by the previous owner as can be seen that under this paint there is a shade of lemon green which could have been the original colour as seen on the rear left side below the stephney bracket. also if you look at the engine behind the carburetor box traces of the same colour can be seen. Please check your RC book to identify the original colour because as far as I can remember in those days there used to be one green colour which used to be available and the other colour was that or mine as was told to me once by my dad and it used to come in lots so if you were not happy with the colour you just had to wait for the next lot with your preferred colour.

3. Was the tail lamp the same in 72 model or the double compartment like 60’s vespa – Read on the website that the bajaj’s came out with the same tail lamp with dull black finish on the metal. As far as I know it was double compartment cat eyed like the vespa. For details on how it changed please refer to the post number 14 and 18 of this thread you will understand how it got changed to the current one as we have a beautiful explanation for the same by Anjan Sir on the same.

4. What is the wires hanging in the glove box – is it ignition switch ? i remember seeing this on later models of Bajaj – Did Vespa had this switch ? The wires hanging are for the ignition switch indeed which was an introduction in the later bajajs. if you notice while restoring my scooter there was no hole inside the side compartment. this was just to enhance safety as a lot of vehicles were being stolen and to prevent the same the company adopted these measures. of course this was the only modification I did apart from the electricals for added safety otherwise I remember in my college days the vehicle used to start even with the handle locked so it could be very easily stolen. Infact Once our scooter was stolen and had to go through a lot of pain to get it back. Thanks for the law and order and the govt dept in those days.

5. Handle Grips & levers – Was those original or it was the white ones without the round edges. I guess though these handle grip covers are not original but check out the handle grips underneath it might be original.Also please refer to post number 18 you get more information on the same as well.

6. Below the rear seat, there is a big patch, there are no welding marks, presume this could be welder’s gift on the paint surface while welding the rear clamp – Need experts help on this, also similar burn marks below front seat. As far as I can remember the rear clam on which the stephney rests is tightened through nuts and bolts under the rear seat . There is no welding required on the same unless it was broken. Kindly clarify as to why there has been a welding done on the rear part normally the same is done if due to overloading the rear suspension clamp in the body breaks and the sheet of the body is torn as far as I know.

7. On the floor mat area, there are no holes for the mat – Was vespa / bajaj like this, how do i put the aluminium beeding, should i drill holes on this area or retain the rubber mat as it is without going for aluminium beeding – i would love to use it without mat though. The original vespa came with the aluminium and rubber beading which were fit on the flooring through holes and screws on both ends of the beading, but with the bajaj 150 this was reduced to rubber beadings to reduce costs which was accommodated by drilling a number of holes on the floor in straight lines. When I had restored my scooter I got rid of these holes as during rainy season or service water gets accumulated between the floor mat and the flooring and plays a major role in the rust and damage of the flooring. If you do not want to use a mat you need not as its again you who is going to use it so depends on your preference.

8. Will be removing the front abnormal sized box soon request you to do so at the earliest please as it looks classy without anything there but even if you have a basket that's still ok and does not affect the look and feel of the scooter.

9. The cost of Ceat secura 3.50.8 size which is the size of the Tyre would cost 1K + tube extra per Tyre or if you are not doing to use it much you can go for second hand just like how I did. that will cost you around 500/- per Tyre

Checked your thread its just awesome .Your service and semi restoration plans are good just try to see if your painter can give a single coat of paint without dismantling is the same shade so that it will enhance the look and shine of the painted surface the detailed restoration can be done later. All the vespa and the bajaj came with chrome headlights only the black ones were introduced in bajaj from 1995 onward. also look out for original brake and clutch lever along with the front mudguard cover if you are thinking of changing the headlight to chrome that will give it a classy look. Also your plans for petrol locks and side lock is correct. The side foot rest aluminium one with the bajaj logo easier to get as comparison to the vespa one and can be easily get from any store which sells scooter spares in fact the super , chetak, bajaj150 all came with the same foot rest. If you are unable to find anything let me know I can get it for you from here. I would suggest repaint the rims in same body colour as in those days the colour of the rims used to be same as the body colour it was only in the year 1993 that they were changed to grayish colour
Regarding the mudflaps if you can reduce the size it will be ok but dont remove it completely as it prevents water from directly splashing on and rusting the under body. This is just my feeling if you do not like it and are not going to use the scooter in watered or wet areas like in rainy season you may still remove the same

I can see that on the front the Right side of the handle has a bracket for the mirror. Request you to post a cloase up image of the same please as would like to know more about the same.

Thanks and Regards
Sushil Narayanan