Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2011, 09:38   #1
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Nothing new from me, and as always another VW to get back on its roads to glory.

To begin with, this car belongs to a very good family friend KIRAN who lives at Chennai. His tyrst with a Beetle search took us to Hyderabad, and finally my favorite place gifts him a GOOD 1966 Beetle in a fairly decent condition and a fantastic price to begin with.

The moment he finished his buying formalities, it was well understood that i stand to restore this BUG (Deep inside me i was dying to do it) It got loaded and off comes and lands up at my house.

Work in progress to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-dsc01339.jpg  

1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-dsc01341.jpg  

1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-dsc01346.jpg  

1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-dsc01356.jpg  

1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-imag_2841.jpg  

1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-imag_2843.jpg  

1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-imag_2844.jpg  


Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th January 2012 at 13:31. Reason: As per your reported post.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 10:59   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,630
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Nothing new from me, and as always another VW to get back on its roads to glory.

To begin with, this car belongs to a very good family friend KIRAN who lives at Chennai. His tyrst with a Beetle search took us to Hyderabad, and finally my favorite place gifts him a GOOD 1964 Beetle in a fairly decent condition and a fantastic price to begin with.
Glad to see another Beetle coming on road. Good luck with the restoration.

Interesting to see the 3 spoke steering wheel and no fuel guage - if original, this car could be a 'Standard' version - does this car have a non-synchro 'crash' gearbox?

Are you sure the car is a 64? The front windscreen looks like the larger one, plus it has later wheels.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 6th September 2011 at 11:03.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 12:47   #3
BHPian
 
thebulletboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 295 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Are you sure the car is a 64? The front windscreen looks like the larger one, plus it has later wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Work in progress to follow.
Good to see work commencing on this Beetle! :-)

Karl is probably right. I had not noticed it earlier.

1. Front Windshield and vent windows are a sure indicator of the era since they are non-interchangable between eras. Vent windows on this Bug seem to be of the 1965 - 67 era.

2. The rims seem to be the '1966 and a half' to 1967 type.

3. This Bug has a 40hp 1200cc D-series engine. This engine was introduced on Standard Beetles only in 1966. Earlier Standard Beetles had the 36hp engine (with integrated alternator stand, and fuel pump to the left of the distributor)

Excerpts from the manual of a 1964 1200A Std Beetle with the 36hp engine.
1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-comb.jpg

Excerpts from the manual of a 1966 1200A Std Beetle with the 40hp 1200cc engine.
1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-combo.jpg

Nonetheless, irrespective of the year, it's good to see another Bug.
thebulletboy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 13:08   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,403
Thanked: 934 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Good to see work commencing on this Beetle! :-)

Karl is probably right. I had not noticed it earlier.

1. Front Windshield and vent windows are a sure indicator of the era since they are non-interchangable between eras. Vent windows on this Bug seem to be of the 1965 - 67 era.

2. The rims seem to be the '1966 and a half' to 1967 type.

3. This Bug has a 40hp 1200cc D-series engine. This engine was introduced on Standard Beetles only in 1966. Earlier Standard Beetles had the 36hp engine (with integrated alternator stand, and fuel pump to the left of the distributor)

Excerpts from the manual of a 1964 1200A Std Beetle with the 36hp engine.
Attachment 605111

Excerpts from the manual of a 1966 1200A Std Beetle with the 40hp 1200cc engine.
Attachment 605112

Nonetheless, irrespective of the year, it's good to see another Bug.
1200 A means Deluxe model,standards were designated as VW1200 only
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 13:45   #5
BHPian
 
priyadarshan.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 225
Thanked: 63 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Good to see another Beetle finding its way to you Pavan Sir.. Good luck with the restoration.. She will turn out to be a stunner..
priyadarshan.b is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 13:59   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 127
Thanked: 26 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

What does a well restored Beetle cost?
maverhick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 14:42   #7
BHPian
 
thebulletboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 295 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
1200 A means Deluxe model,standards were designated as VW1200 only
Nope. The opposite is true !

Upto 1965 The economy Beetle (also known as the Standard Beetle) was powered by a 36 horse engine and a non-synchro gearbox.
During this time the Deluxe Beetle was powered by the 40hp 1200cc engine and a full synchro gearbox.

In the 1966 model year the sparKaefer, or the economy Beetle was upgraded to the 40 horse engine and full synchro gearbox, and renamed the VW 1200A.

More info over here :

TheSamba.com :: View topic - The oldest 1200A survived?

Also, here's the company literature to back me up. Excerpts from the 1966 1200 A Manual show all the features (or rather the lack of) that are unique to the economy Beetle. This confirms that the 1200A was in fact the Economy/Standard Beetle.
Pls note the 3-spoke steering wheel, the lack of assist straps, the lack of fuel gauge, and the last page also confirms that the 1966 sparKaefer had a full synchro gearbox.

1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-combo.jpg

Regards,
Pankaj
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 16:40   #8
BHPian
 
UB_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: M'lore-ROD
Posts: 73
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Nice work Pavan. Good pictures of the ‘Bug’. The body seems to be in a much better condition still.

Update us more on the engine and gearbox condition. Keep us posted.
Have you made a plan already on how to start the restoration? It would be nice if you share that too.

Can you check few things on the BUG.
- Is there a catalytic converter
- Passenger side RVM.
- Locks on the door.
- Is there a rear split seat arrangement.
- Reverse lights.
- Armrest on driver side (not seen in photo)
- Additional levers for heating control near the central handbrake.

This should give us a fair idea on which model this bug actually is?
Good luck...

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 16:55   #9
BHPian
 
rk206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 109
Thanked: 210 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Hello Mr Kadam,
Congratulations on the acquisition.

I was wondering what are the costs associated with such a restoration. Whether it makes sense to buy a Rust-In-Pieces and to restore it fully or whether to just get hold of a running one.

Thanks a lot.
rk206 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 17:01   #10
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Nice work Pavan. Good pictures of the ‘Bug’. The body seems to be in a much better condition still.

Update us more on the engine and gearbox condition. Keep us posted.
Have you made a plan already on how to start the restoration? It would be nice if you share that too.

Can you check few things on the BUG.
- Is there a catalytic converter
- Passenger side RVM.
- Locks on the door.
- Is there a rear split seat arrangement.
- Reverse lights.
- Armrest on driver side (not seen in photo)
- Additional levers for heating control near the central handbrake.

This should give us a fair idea on which model this bug actually is?
Good luck...

-UB
Its already ratified, its a 1966 1200A..


Quote:
Originally Posted by rk206 View Post
Hello Mr Kadam,
Congratulations on the acquisition.

I was wondering what are the costs associated with such a restoration. Whether it makes sense to buy a Rust-In-Pieces and to restore it fully or whether to just get hold of a running one.

Thanks a lot.
I would suggest to buy a Beetle in any state, they are becoming hard to get cars off-late.....

Restoration is not difficult after that...
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 17:10   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,403
Thanked: 934 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Nope. The opposite is true !

Upto 1965 The economy Beetle (also known as the Standard Beetle) was powered by a 36 horse engine and a non-synchro gearbox.
During this time the Deluxe Beetle was powered by the 40hp 1200cc engine and a full synchro gearbox.

In the 1966 model year the sparKaefer, or the economy Beetle was upgraded to the 40 horse engine and full synchro gearbox, and renamed the VW 1200A.

More info over here :

TheSamba.com :: View topic - The oldest 1200A survived?

Also, here's the company literature to back me up. Excerpts from the 1966 1200 A Manual show all the features (or rather the lack of) that are unique to the economy Beetle. This confirms that the 1200A was in fact the Economy/Standard Beetle.
Pls note the 3-spoke steering wheel, the lack of assist straps, the lack of fuel gauge, and the last page also confirms that the 1966 sparKaefer had a full synchro gearbox.

Attachment 605181

Regards,
Pankaj
as far as my info goes,the VW1200(Euro) came with fuel tap upto 1969,
the assist straps ,passenger side sunvisor,rear ashtray, etc were also not there in the standard model.I have seen the original instruction manual of the 1968 Euro models(VW1200/1300/1500) and it is clearly mentioned therein that 1200 was the economy version.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 17:24   #12
BHPian
 
UB_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: M'lore-ROD
Posts: 73
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk206 View Post
Hello Mr Kadam,
Congratulations on the acquisition.

I was wondering what are the costs associated with such a restoration. Whether it makes sense to buy a Rust-In-Pieces and to restore it fully or whether to just get hold of a running one.

Thanks a lot.
I do agree that buying a running bug is quick. But the feeling and satisfaction one gets after successful restoration is priceless.

All the hard work and dedication towards restoration is completely paid off when people start eyeing this BUG on the streets.
Good work Pavan. Keep the tempo going…

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 17:35   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,745
Thanked: 2,877 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Hey Pavan, that's a nice muse you've got there.

I've gone thru' quite a few of your threads on restoration. Been curious about quite a few things :

- once restored, are the cars fit/capable for daily use or are they used occasionally.
- how often do they naturally breakdown after that and what about spares then?
- during a ordinary restoration, how often would you have to open the engine/replace it?
- how long does a typical restoration last? as in, when do you have to
next overhaul the car?
- how is the ownership cost like for such an example?

Understandably, only an enthusiast would have a car restored!

Good luck with the restoration!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 17:50   #14
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey Pavan, that's a nice muse you've got there.

I've gone thru' quite a few of your threads on restoration. Been curious about quite a few things :

- once restored, are the cars fit/capable for daily use or are they used occasionally.

Its my constant endevour that each car i've restored till date is as good as a daily runner, and most cars are a standing testimony. If restored well, the cars do serve you well. You cant build a skyscraper without a strong foundation, its as simple as that

- how often do they naturally breakdown after that and what about spares then?

Aircooled VW's are very simple by design, there are not many parts that wear up easily, they would only breakdown if you dont run them, or maintain them as per the standard procedure- But tell me, which Automobile does
nt..? Air-cooled VW spares are not tough to come by.


- during a ordinary restoration, how often would you have to open the engine/replace it?

Once the Engine is RESTORED with Standard procedures, there is no reason you might have to open the engine for ages, But again, you must adhere to its standard service procedures. I would like to tell you. These engines are THE MOST RUGGED ENGINES for longer runs

- how long does a typical restoration last? as in, when do you have to
next overhaul the car?

I keep a bench mark of 12 months to Restore any kind of Air-cooled VW, This also depends on the fund flow, infact the White 1961 VW Beetle on this forum was restored in 7 Days Flat... AND as long as you maintain the cars as per standard procedures, it will outlast your lifetime before the next overhaul.

- how is the ownership cost like for such an example?

I own 3 Air-cooled VW's and maintenance costs are pittance, all i need to do is change oil every 6 months, or maybe spark plugs every 25000 kms.

Understandably, only an enthusiast would have a car restored!

Good luck with the restoration!
Too much of questions man...

I have answered within my abilities in BOLD

Thank you for your post and hope i have answered your queries>
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 20:07   #15
BHPian
 
thebulletboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 295 Times
Default re: 1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I have seen the original instruction manual of the 1968 Euro models(VW1200/1300/1500) and it is clearly mentioned therein that 1200 was the economy version.
Yes, I have a 1970 manual (VW 1500/1300/1200) which mentions the same thing.
The 1200A notification was introduced only in the early 60s, to avoid confusion with the 1200cc Delux version.
The 'A' notation lasted for only a few years. Probably there was no delux 1200 manufactured after 1968. So any 1200cc Euro Beetle manufactured after 1968 would be a Std Beetle. Since there was no scope for confusion, the 'A' notation was probably officially dropped from company literature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
as far as my info goes,the VW1200(Euro) came with fuel tap upto 1969
My 1970 manual mentions a fuel tap for the VW1200 standard Beetle.
And I have seen a 1972 Std Beetle with fuel gauge integrated in the speedo. If that was original, it would mean that the fuel tap was probably discontinued in 1971 or 1972.

BTW, I remember us having a discussion sometime ago, where I mentioned that the Std Beetle was a Euro specific thing. This turned out to be false. There was also a Canadian version of the 1200cc Std Beetle, officially known as the VW Beetle Custom.

1966 VW Beetle 1200A Restoration-custom1.jpg
Name:  custom2.jpg
Views: 8641
Size:  137.9 KB
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1966 Standard Herald Mark II - Restoration karlosdeville Post-War 160 25th April 2016 13:00
Restoration of 1966 Fiat 1100D 100kmph Post-War 31 30th January 2015 17:33
My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project SA7VA5 Post-War 61 19th January 2015 15:48
1966 1600 TS VW Fastback Restoration PAVAN KADAM Post-War 47 27th October 2012 12:38
beetle 1966 restoration help needed carbug Post-War 23 29th March 2008 19:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:08.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks