Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 20th September 2011, 21:16   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Originally Posted by mathranik

Now that's great news for me, and I am sure you are the wealth of knowledge I was seeking. Thank you Pradip!

What I basically require is the robust history behind the start of this taxi era, and how it progressed to become what it was until a few years back. Also, I would like to know the status as of today. A brief background over their fare structure, numbers, models and operations would be also needed by me.

I know I am asking way too much, but poochne mein kya jaata hai. (Inspired by the recent tata sky promo). I also require a few high resolution pictures, but then can be arranged by me subsequently. Can I know when you would be visiting Junagadh next?

We can take this offline (to PM or phone) if you wish. Thank you in advance.
There was one such ford which came from there and was for sale at popular car bazaar at ANDHERI it ewas black and had been converted to diesel with a Perkins engine. The salesman said it was from Gujrat and had been all jazzed up.
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 21:42   #17
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Ford & Plymouth taxis in Junagadh

In Munnar there used to be Ford vans plying as taxis which was the only mode of public transport available to the estate workers then. What I am citing is the scenario couple of decades back. During my recent visit I could not locate even one. Not even any abandoned ones.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 16:17   #18

Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Are these the pics. you refer to?

Attachment 612659

Attachment 612660

Found them in this forum:

any silky beige i20 owners here - Page 14 | Buying a Car | Car Forums - CarWale

'wish there was atleast one showing the complete car.

Incidentally, I expected these taxis to be black and yellow. Or is that allowed only in the metros? It does have taxi plates though (now yellow)
I don't know how old these pics are, but the mentioned ford is one of two nicely maintained cab. I do have the pics of the same car.

The taxis there are of any colour. Most of all fords are black and ambassadors are of any colour. Yes they all have yellow board which indicates that they are taxi.

Last edited by pradipk : 21st September 2011 at 16:17. Reason: Grammer.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 17:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A couple of small pictures were posted, but I cannot find them right now.
Here are the pictures I spoke of, I came across them online in an article on the same topic.

I think the monument is a mausoleum in Junagadh.

Name:  taxi01.jpg
Views: 2710
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  taxi02.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  taxi03.jpg
Views: 2556
Size:  60.7 KB
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote