Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2013, 23:36   #151
BHPian
 
Drkannant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 268 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Rony is a gem and has always guided us well. We don't call him PRESIDENT for no reason.
Your RIMS photos not found.
I am no guru on paint work but whatever I see and from my little experience looks good. There is usually some water wash also given to cars to get rid of smallest fragment of paints. I may be wrong but I think its caustic soda wash. GURUS, pls help.
Do you have HUBCAPS??? WOOOOW. PLEASE do post pics of them.
I know a place to get the hubcap clips but I have no idea about the price. I'll check and send you a text msg.

Raab rakha.
P.S.: Pls just address me as Sonu, Mr. Sonu sounds formal
Hi Sonu....you bet Rony is a gem , contacted even today regarding head lights, he was so helpful, informative and guiding.
yes Sonu got my hubcaps from the US, but yet to reach me, will post the pictures once i get it. Got the rear view mirror today, pretty neat piece.
Please get me the hubcap clips if u can. Thank you.
Any chance of getting hold of the air filter & Boot lock Sonu and Prashanth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Please keep caustic soda off the car ,helps big time in the long run , caustic soda is the cheaper and easier way of getting rid of paint , but since caustic soda leaves a small residue and also reacts with metal post paint you may see bubbles popping up or the metal rusting from the inside .

The current method of paint remover is perfect is my opinion and the guys seem to be doing a decent job .

Doc please do get all the door hinges and door setting done now itself to prevent any rattling and roughness in the door locks so post paint it will be a straight fit

Prashanth
Hi Prashanth, thanks for the information regarding caustic soda.
Ok Prashanth will get the hinges and doors set before painting.
do you get the aluminium plate which has the details of the engine and chasis number or can we make one?

Last edited by karlosdeville : 18th March 2013 at 10:03. Reason: Consecutive posts
Drkannant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 16:18   #152
BHPian
 
Drkannant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 268 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Rony is a gem and has always guided us well. We don't call him PRESIDENT for no reason.
Your RIMS photos not found.
I am no guru on paint work but whatever I see and from my little experience looks good. There is usually some water wash also given to cars to get rid of smallest fragment of paints. I may be wrong but I think its caustic soda wash. GURUS, pls help.
Do you have HUBCAPS??? WOOOOW. PLEASE do post pics of them.
I know a place to get the hubcap clips but I have no idea about the price. I'll check and send you a text msg.

Raab rakha.
P.S.: Pls just address me as Sonu, Mr. Sonu sounds formal
Oops Sonu, thought it got uploaded, will uploaded again.
I getting my hubcaps from US , yet to reach me bought it on ebay. please check out the place where u get the clips Sonu will take them, need about 20 of them . Thanks Sonu.
Attached Images
   
Drkannant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 09:51   #153
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 3,059
Thanked: 4,736 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Dear Drkannant - please note that the hole diameter through which the tube valve passes is 15.5mm in your wheel rims whereas the standard tube valve OD is 11.9mm. Therefore, you need to use a spacer at this location. These spacers are supposed to be available at tire shops. Please use it otherwise the tube will get cut at this location.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 20:53   #154
BHPian
 
Drkannant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 268 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Drkannant - please note that the hole diameter through which the tube valve passes is 15.5mm in your wheel rims whereas the standard tube valve OD is 11.9mm. Therefore, you need to use a spacer at this location. These spacers are supposed to be available at tire shops. Please use it otherwise the tube will get cut at this location.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks for the information Dhabhar, will keep it in mind and will pick it up from the tire shops. Regarding the rim, is it OK to put it on to my 1955 model? i know it does not belong to that model ( told by Rony) but no other go i could find only this rim after such a lot of searching, The hubcaps that i got on ebay from the US, i have uploaded the picture of it I am not very sure whether that also belongs to the 1955 model. i picked it up seeing an old hubcap that my dad had in the garage. I will post a picture of that too. I need some expert comments from my dear fellow fiatians, but please don't break my heart saying that both my rims and hubcap are of the wrong model please !
Attached Images
 
Drkannant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 22:30   #155
BHPian
 
Drkannant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 268 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
Thanks for the information Dhabhar, will keep it in mind and will pick it up from the tire shops. Regarding the rim, is it OK to put it on to my 1955 model? i know it does not belong to that model ( told by Rony) but no other go i could find only this rim after such a lot of searching, The hubcaps that i got on ebay from the US, i have uploaded the picture of it I am not very sure whether that also belongs to the 1955 model. i picked it up seeing an old hubcap that my dad had in the garage. I will post a picture of that too. I need some expert comments from my dear fellow fiatians, but please don't break my heart saying that both my rims and hubcap are of the wrong model please !
On seeing Behrams latest picture of his car, i thik my rims and hubcaps belong to 1970 select model.
Drkannant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013, 10:17   #156
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,153
Thanked: 1,450 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

After restoration, Brownie came home last year on 16th April 2012 & here is her first birthday gift.: New Shoes....
and few smaller gifts are on the way:

Name:  20130413_092441.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  182.3 KB
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20130413_092449.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20130413_092454.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20130413_092535.jpg

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 11:51   #157
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,153
Thanked: 1,450 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Around Ganpati festival in Mumbai I had to move Brownie to an alternate parking near Filmcity. During this period, She received her weekly inside-out cleaning and we would idle the engine but couldn't pull her out as someone doing a home resto had dumped his construction material right behind her, thus trapping her movement.
Previous saturday (30th Nov) we were informed that the material is consumed and that we could take her out. We pulled her out for a drive but the clutch plates "smoked" out after a kilometer.
Bought a new set (WEP brand INR 1600/- including pressure plate) from famous SHETTY MOTORS at Opera House and dedicated this saturday to her.
Here are the pics:

Under car & the GEAR box:
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0106.jpg
The maroon coloured H/Accent in background is my daily drive.
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0100.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0102.jpg

Brownie in my OWN parking, Isnt she looking gorgeous?
I had removed the trims and will be putting them back after giving mild buffing at home. Using MAGUIRE for same.
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0115.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0119.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0122.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0131.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0136.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0118.jpg

UPDATE:
1. Have removed bumpers for polishing & chrome plating.
2. She'll also get new shoes & whitewall inserts. keep watching this space.



Raab rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 9th December 2013 at 11:56. Reason: Adding update
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 14:50   #158
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,153
Thanked: 1,450 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Just could not resist this morning:
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-dsc_0255.jpg

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 23:51   #159
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,389
Thanked: 1,694 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Brownie in my OWN parking, Isnt she looking gorgeous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Just could not resist this morning:
Awesome Sonu! BTW, is Brownie actually parked in the open?!
Must be quite a challenge in your climate especially!

Any extra measures you take for protecting the car in these circumstances?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 09:55   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,153
Thanked: 1,450 Times
Lightbulb Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Awesome Sonu! BTW, is Brownie actually parked in the open?!
Must be quite a challenge in your climate especially!
Any extra measures you take for protecting the car in these circumstances?
She is having her time under the sun.
Well due to awesome location of my parking, it does not get hard aftrenoon sun. In fact this is the first time that BROWNIE is standing in the open & I am driving her almost every day. Earlier photos will show her parked in dark covered parking. She also got a nice scrub of MAGUIRE polish last sunday.
There is DRIVE planned tomorrow by Rony and after that I intend to get her a teflon coating and give her an underbody rust prevention coat.

New shoes n whitewall inserts will go on today.

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 22:26   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,153
Thanked: 1,450 Times
Default Brownie - RESTO 2.0

From Dec 2013 to Jan 2018 - Cant believe that it's been more than 4 years.
Brownie started showing some cosmetic damages and since she had been not touched for about 6 months due to my intensive travels, I found that 3 doors had jammed and would not budge & the mirrors of two won't go down.
A Resto had been planned in last May but the incompetence of people made me abandon the project at that time.
Meanwhile I met a like-minded enthusiast guy & we decided that it was time to put Brownie back on road for good.

So began the RESTO-2.0:
A dent on left Fender
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20180116_112447.jpg
Paint flakes under passenger door
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20180116_112451.jpg
Paint & filler missing from Roof
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20180116_112500.jpg
Engine bay- no work planned as she hums like a bee - battery is on LOAN.
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20180116_125058.jpg
Jammed brakes being freed
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20180116_130423.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20180116_130628.jpg
IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH RUBBER THAT GOES AROUND THE FUEL INLET.
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20180116_131430.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20180116_131441.jpg
Overview
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20180116_131508.jpg
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-20180116_131525.jpg

Jobs planned:
>Fix the patches and DuPONT OVERCOATs
>Brakes: two slave cylinders changed, Oil change and line blow will be done
>Car floor, under-body, wheel wells & trunk floor to get WURTH anti-rust coats
>One wheel rim is NOT original so that will be changed and all wheel rims to get new coats of paint.
>Fix back all removed JEWELS
>Chrome the bumpers
>Polish the Aluminium parts
>Fix original front indicators
& VOILA
The doors & the window winders have already been fixed by a guy who only specializes in them. He was so ecstatic to see Brownie that he worked overtime to hand her back to me in just one day.

Watch this page for more updates.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 19:46   #162
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rapid City
Posts: 17
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Can you mention the name of the garage on Rae road?
Thank you very much.
Sudhakar
bobchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 21:31   #163
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,439
Thanked: 734 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

My oh my Sonu, that looks like a mammoth job. I can see that the body has been damaged at many places with rust creeping in. Best of luck for the second restoration.

Also see that a lot of filler was used in leveling the surface of the car, this time please tell them to avoid this . The almond color that you have looks just perfect and please keep that one.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 15:27   #164
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,153
Thanked: 1,450 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
My oh my Sonu, that looks like a mammoth job. I can see that the body has been damaged at many places with rust creeping in. Best of luck for the second restoration.
Also see that a lot of filler was used in leveling the surface of the car, this time please tell them to avoid this . The almond color that you have looks just perfect and please keep that one.
We also noted the amount of filler used. we have scrapped almost entire roof but thanks that the rust penetration is minimal.
Though I wanted to go for TOFFEE BROWN shade but with present color the superficial scratches are almost non-visible so sticking to this shade only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchaphalkar View Post
Can you mention the name of the garage on Rae road? Thank you very much.
Sudhakar
It walking distance from Reay Road station
https://www.google.co.in/maps/search.../data=!3m1!1e3

Search for RUBEL DHUNA architect & your have reached the garage. PIC is Aslam.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 20:25   #165
BHPian
 
Drkannant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 268 Times
Default Re: Brownie - RESTO 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
From Dec 2013 to Jan 2018 - Cant believe that it's been more than 4 years.
Brownie started showing some cosmetic damages and since she had been not touched for about 6 months due to my intensive travels, I found that 3 doors had jammed and would not budge & the mirrors of two won't go down.
A Resto had been planned in last May but the incompetence of people made me abandon the project at that time.
Meanwhile I met a like-minded enthusiast guy & we decided that it was time to put Brownie back on road for good.

So began the RESTO-2.0:
A dent on left Fender
Attachment 1718887
Paint flakes under passenger door
Attachment 1718888
Paint & filler missing from Roof
Attachment 1718889
Engine bay- no work planned as she hums like a bee - battery is on LOAN.
Attachment 1718890
Jammed brakes being freed
Attachment 1718891
Attachment 1718892
IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH RUBBER THAT GOES AROUND THE FUEL INLET.
Attachment 1718893
Attachment 1718894
Overview
Attachment 1718895
Attachment 1718896

Jobs planned:
>Fix the patches and DuPONT OVERCOATs
>Brakes: two slave cylinders changed, Oil change and line blow will be done
>Car floor, under-body, wheel wells & trunk floor to get WURTH anti-rust coats
>One wheel rim is NOT original so that will be changed and all wheel rims to get new coats of paint.
>Fix back all removed JEWELS
>Chrome the bumpers
>Polish the Aluminium parts
>Fix original front indicators
& VOILA
The doors & the window winders have already been fixed by a guy who only specializes in them. He was so ecstatic to see Brownie that he worked overtime to hand her back to me in just one day.

Watch this page for more updates.

Regards-Sonu
Hi Sonu,
Its been a long time , How are you doing?

Its very unfortunate that Brownie started showing so much of body damages in just 4 years. May be the tinkering and paint work was not up to the mark, I'm not sure though.
As someone had mentioned in the earlier posts, may there was too much of body fillers put instead of meticulous tinkering work.

Hope to see Brownie on her wheels soon with all new paint coat and all her Jewels on.
Brownie was indeed my role model when i restored my Millecento.

All the best on your "Resto Version 2.0 "
Drkannant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1956 Fiat Millecento Restoration beetle_boy Post-War 78 1st October 2015 14:01
1955 Fiat Millecento Restoration PAVAN KADAM Post-War 16 14th August 2014 10:36
My 1956 Fiat Millecento Restoration Project spike Post-War 51 24th September 2013 14:28
Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED PAVAN KADAM Post-War 117 15th March 2013 13:58
1956 Fiat Millecento restoration and overhaul eternalck Post-War 11 17th January 2010 21:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks