Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 21:12   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
It seems your stars are shining bright, 2 OREEGEENAL parts within 7 days Thats some serious purchase. BTW even i am happy seeing that meter.
Thanks Sagar, Going by my books I have spent twice on purchasing ONLY the spares than I paid for the actual car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Fan-Tas-Tic Sonu !! This is really rare. My best wishes to you and to Brownie
Thanks Ravi. Its just because of wishes of brothers like you that BROWNIE is coming out well. It means world to me.

Raab Rakha
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 11:29   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Sonu,

That speedo is in very good nick, I had seen many in bangalore but not like this. A clean up and it will look like new.

P.S.: I am still to get back to you on the Park light lens. Will do so by weekend.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 11:55   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Sonu,
That speedo is in very good nick, I had seen many in bangalore but not like this. A clean up and it will look like new.
P.S.: I am still to get back to you on the Park light lens. Will do so by weekend.
Thanx Manish.
PLEASE find me those parking lenses (the inner dia of holder is 2.6")
If possible, headlight rings too. Even single, rusted piece will do. My garage man is asking for a sample & he can make the rings.

One query; I'm also told that the original car never came with those meter hoods. If so then I can let go of that part till some real nice ones come my way.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 12th March 2012 at 12:07.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 21:53   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Thanx Manish.
PLEASE find me those parking lenses (the inner dia of holder is 2.6")
If possible, headlight rings too. Even single, rusted piece will do. My garage man is asking for a sample & he can make the rings.

One query; I'm also told that the original car never came with those meter hoods. If so then I can let go of that part till some real nice ones come my way.

Raab Rakha.
Ok Will look for the same. As far as I know the cars did came with the bakelite meter surrounds. Best person to answer will be Karlos .
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 10:37   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,154
Thanked: 707 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
If possible, headlight rings too. Even single, rusted piece will do. My garage man is asking for a sample & he can make the rings.

One query; I'm also told that the original car never came with those meter hoods. If so then I can let go of that part till some real nice ones come my way.

Raab Rakha.
Sonu, the meters always had bakelite hoods, it was the standard design, Aluminum may have been an aftermarket replacement. Many cars even had lucite for special models which had lucite steering. Anyways just paint the hoods bakelite colour and get on with it. I think its more important to get your car on the road before monsoon and test her out thoroughly.

Now for the headlight rings you will have to source these they will be difficult to fabricate, Aslam has restored so many cars, some of which he is maintaining on a day to day basis can he not fabricate based on them. I would have lent you mine but i just don't trust him to take care of things.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 09:57   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Sonu, the meters always had bakelite hoods, it was the standard design, Aluminum may have been an aftermarket replacement. Many cars even had lucite for special models which had lucite steering. Anyways just paint the hoods bakelite colour and get on with it. I think its more important to get your car on the road before monsoon and test her out thoroughly.

Now for the headlight rings you will have to source these they will be difficult to fabricate, Aslam has restored so many cars, some of which he is maintaining on a day to day basis can he not fabricate based on them. I would have lent you mine but i just don't trust him to take care of things.
Hi Amol, My car had OIL meter with bakelite hood, so I'll get this aluminium painted in the similar color.
BREAKING NEWS: Brownie should be on road by next weekend. But without her headlight rings. :(
I found those so-called original RINGS on Itaian ebay but the seller is playing hide & seek. I presume he never expected someone to call from outside Italy. Less said about Aslam, the better. But my first experince with him has taught me that he is good is some jobs but not with entire car resto.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:22   #67
BHPian
 
jubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2012 at 13:32.
jubin is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 31st March 2012, 19:13   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

It's so frustrating because everything is in place except the HEADLIGHTS.

We have tried SWARAJ MAZDA lights; unfortunately I got the wrong ones.
We have tried FORCE MINIDOR; again unfortunately I got the wrong ones.
When will I stop making mistakes!! :(

They do NOT fit in the cone made for the headlights.

Someone HELP.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 21:19   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,611
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
It's so frustrating because everything is in place except the HEADLIGHTS.

We have tried SWARAJ MAZDA lights; unfortunately I got the wrong ones.
We have tried FORCE MINIDOR; again unfortunately I got the wrong ones.
When will I stop making mistakes!! :(

They do NOT fit in the cone made for the headlights.

Someone HELP.

Raab Rakha.
Have you tried using Jawa headlight, i think they come very close to the exact measurement of Millicento HL cowls. I am not too sure about it though.

Last edited by samsag12 : 31st March 2012 at 21:20.
samsag12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 00:45   #70
BHPian
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Have you tried using Jawa headlight, i think they come very close to the exact measurement of Millicento HL cowls. I am not too sure about it though.

OK Friend a big little secret ,just go to a two wheeler spares shop and get the headlights for "Suzuki Samurai" motorcycle ,its a straight fit ,just over 6 inches would be the size .

Prashanth(Nomad)
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 14:57   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Have you tried using Jawa headlight, i think they come very close to the exact measurement of Millicento HL cowls. I am not too sure about it though.
Hi Sagar, Been trying to source JAWA headlights but no real luck here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
OK Friend a big little secret ,just go to a two wheeler spares shop and get the headlights for "Suzuki Samurai" motorcycle ,its a straight fit ,just over 6 inches would be the size .
Prashanth(Nomad)
What about the rings around headlights.
The actual ID of cowl at open end is 5.75".

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 10:45   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-now "CREAMER"

I cannot find words to express my joy on being able to drive my "CREAMER" home yesterday. And that even 48 good kms, without a hiccup, in famous Mumbai's rush hour traffic.
"BROWNIE" turned few shades lighter & is now "CREAMER", Ivory Pearl to be precise. That is what Duco Paint shade card for Fiat says about the new color. The choice was made after finding out that the BROWNIE shade was actually a crude touch up job done sometime during her lifetime.
This is how she looked on 13th Oct 2011:
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-13102011155.jpg
This is how she looked on 16th Apr 2012:
Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-16042012520.jpg

Side patties are still being sourced. I do have original, 3/4th patties of left hand side. One original rim is lying as spare in boot & will come on car once am able to get hold of new tyres.

Few things that are still pending are:
1) Fit new steering
2) New tyres
3) Old speedo cable snapped duirng re-fitting, to find a new cable & make speedo functional.
4) Make oil indicator functional.
5) Find original headlights or at least ORIGINAL headlight rings.
6) Fit the SOLEX carb & try it out. As of now she is running on KPACCO carb & its doing wonderful job.

I'll put her for scrutiny by Fiat gurus at next meet & then will decide MORE things that are to go on/in her. Till then its MILES with SMILES.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 12:26   #73
BHPian
 
Ripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 253
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-now "CREAMER"

Killer!..Brownie's come out factory fresh. The shade looks good and the workmanship is top notch. Is it the same chap who restored the other 1100's? The dark blue and the beige?
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 19:28   #74
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-now "CREAMER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I cannot find words to express my joy on being able to drive my "CREAMER" home yesterday. And that even 48 good kms, without a hiccup, in famous Mumbai's rush hour traffic.
"BROWNIE" turned few shades lighter & is now "CREAMER", Ivory Pearl to be precise. That is what Duco Paint shade card for Fiat says about the new color.
Wow, molto bene! Nice to see Brownie in her new hue, cant wait to see her all done!

BTW, pardon me curiosity- is the front bumper now fitted the 'new' one?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 21:18   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,090
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: Brownie - The restoration of my '56 Fiat Millecento-now "CREAMER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, molto bene! Nice to see Brownie in her new hue, cant wait to see her all done!
BTW, pardon me curiosity- is the front bumper now fitted the 'new' one?
Thanx Shyam, This bumper came with the car. The 'new' bumper is kept at home for electroplating along with few other items.
I wanna out it for a special day.

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1956 Fiat Millecento Restoration beetle_boy Post-War 78 1st October 2015 14:01
1955 Fiat Millecento Restoration PAVAN KADAM Post-War 16 14th August 2014 10:36
My 1956 Fiat Millecento Restoration Project spike Post-War 51 24th September 2013 14:28
Restoration of a NOMAD's 1954 Fiat Millecento- DELIVERED PAVAN KADAM Post-War 117 15th March 2013 13:58
1956 Fiat Millecento restoration and overhaul eternalck Post-War 11 17th January 2010 21:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks